Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trip to Foppolo via Bergamo.

Poster: A snowHead
Some time ago there was talk about doing ski day-trips. Well, I have one booked up for this Saturday and will let you know what happens, but thought I might just see if there is any late input before we (me + daughter) go.

Plan is to get the 06:30 flight from Stansted to Bergamo (arrive nominally 09:30 their time), pick up the hire car and drive the 45 mins (ish) to Foppolo. Hire skis, get lift passes and get final kit on and hopefully be on the slopes by 11:00 to 11:30. Flight home is booked for 22:00 that evening, so we will ski the remainder of the day and have a chance to wind down afterwards.

It hasn’t been expensive so far. Flights and car hire work out at about £45 each. The lift pass is about 20 euros, then there is ski hire on top.

Anyone been to Foppolo, anyone done anything like this before? Any words of advice, caution or encouragement? Anybody tempted to do this themselves?

Of course lots could go wrong, but I don't want to think about that yet ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro,

It has to be worth a punt at that price... and if everything goes smoothly you have a steal. You could be THE vanguard and lead loads of others to this one day bash....... It could be quite a story down the pub...!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, Hope it all goes well, if it does you may find JT, and I could be in your next day trip Laughing snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, Linds, thanks for that. Most people at this end have looked at me as if I am stupid - and I was beginning to think that they were right, (but then they aren't real skiers).

A full report will be presented after the event.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, Due to changes in flight times by Ryanair I am off to Sauze next Tuesday for 3 night and 2 full days skiing. 2 days skiing on snow is better than no skiing Laughing Good luck Saturday and hope it all goes ok snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Linds, hope your trip goes well too. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about the environmental cost of one day on the snow? Is there such a thing as an ethical skiing guide?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Ross, an interesting question and one I had thought about , but the sums are beyond me.

Are able to advise on what would be my proportion of the overall environmental damage that occurs daily to this planet by this trip?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, I'm not sure but my girlfriend got the Gaurdian guide to ethical living at Christmas and these are the kinds of issues raised. Perhaps you should walk to work for the next month to balance the damage? Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, this sounds fantastic - just the sort of crazy scheme I'd be intersted in (I'm organising a 1 night trip to Madrid this summer - i.e. arrive Saturday night, eat, drink and be merry through the night, and catch the first flight back Sunday morning).

Which airline flys from Stansted to Bergamo?

A friend of mine did once go to Courchevel for a day - by snow train. Got the Friday night train down, skied the whole day, then got the return train that evening. But that seems a little excessive!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Ross, I like that idea, and shall definitely walk to work in future. snowHead

Dave Burt, Ryanair is the airline (but they call Bergamo, Milan). Good luck in Madrid!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't want to be an old stick in the mud but it actually sounds like a half day skiing not a full day. However crack on and enjoy, I'm only jealous. Must see if you can do something similar from L'pool tho' the missus would go spare!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro,
Quote:

I like that idea, and shall definitely walk to work in future.

I'll bet you do Very Happy. Shouldn't take you long should it? And don't forget to pick up a coffee and croissant on the way.....back from your kitchen Laughing
Re: your trip: I can't wait, and I'm not even going. Very Happy

Peter Ross, if Ray's trip is a success, I suspect you'll need to be convincing a lot of snowHead to walk to work! Razz wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone want to bet on Ray Zorro, missing Dawn Chorus the morning after, on account of his being somewhat tired Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, you really didn't need to mention to Peter Ross that I work from home. Laughing

snowbunny, well, everyone else misses DC on Sundays anyway ... wink I think that I am just as likely to miss the plane though rolling eyes rolling eyes

For anyone else looking to do very short trips, it is sometimes hard to book cars by the day. Otherwise you have to pay for 3 days hire. I found that Auto Europa were about the only ones willing to do a single day booking from Bergamo.

If it works, I notice that Ryanair are still offering flights at £0.01 each way (+Taxes = £26.24 total) for midweek days later in March. Very Happy
ski holidays
Ah there's the rub - midweek. Due to my other 2 ski trips this winter, I have no hols till April so a day trip would have to be Saturday or Sunday an i bet the airfares are pretty darned expensive
snow report
Ray Zorro, You are obviously even barmier than I suspected Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
halfhand, you do have to book them early if you want a cheap weekend flight, my flights were booked in early October when they were still very reasonable. You are looking at about £60 now for a day return on a Saturday or Sunday at the mid/end March.

You don't have anything like as many flights per day from Liverpool, so it may not be practical for you anyway. You'd best move south wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I'll tell you on Sunday Laughing wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:
Ray Zorro, You are obviously even barmier than I suspected

Ray Zorro, I have to agree with the LLG, but good luck anyway!
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, thank you ... I think Confused snowHead
snow report
You'll either be asleep (and if not you should be) or will be in a blind panic unable to find your favourite four fingered glove, but good luck for tomorrow - you may be the vanguard of a new breed of day skiing sH snowHead
ski holidays
slikedges, snowHead thanks for that.

Well, it is time to depart - full report to follow tomorrow.
latest report
Look forward to THE full report.... Laughing
snow report
Ray Zorro, should be nearly on the slopes by now?
Hope you had a good time?
latest report
Ray Zorro, By your reckoning, you should have been skiing for half an hour by now...time for lunch Very Happy
snow report
See, I bet we are all swishing down those runs with you by now...!!
snow report
Ray Zorro,

Aren't you back yet........??

Anyway, hope it was good because I'm deaprting in a few hours.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foppolo was ok.... last time i went 20 years ago !
ski holidays
OK, here's the executive summary.

The reason that I originally chose Milan-Bergamo and Foppolo was because Ryanair had well-timed and cheap flights to Bergamo and Foppolo was the nearest largish resort, less than 60km away and advertising 47km piste.

Most will only want to know the amount of skiing for the amount of money - well from the moment we put our skis on for the first chairlift to the point where we took them off for the end of the day was 4 hours 50 minutes. With a brief refuelling stop in the middle somewhere. Must add that not knowing the resort did cost us valuable time in getting sorted initially.

costs were
skis +lift pass = €10 + €21 (each)
Carhire + fuel = €38 + €11 (total)

So assuming that you can share the car with one other, that make €55 (about £39) each + whatever you pay for flights. Mine were about £35 I think.

So that works out at nearly 5 hours skiing for about £75 each. I didn't think that was too bad .

Course you could add on petrol to Stansted and food on the slopes etc but that is a variable depending on who does it - slopeside restaurant prices were pretty reasonable though.

I thought that on the whole it was a good use of a day, but interestingly on the way home we bumped into a couples of young ladies that had sat next to us on the journey out. They had done a day-trip shopping in Milan - now I would have said that that has to be a complete waste of a day. Laughing (but I suspect that my view may not be the view of all sH's, what do you think incogskisno - would a day-trip shopping in Milan be more your style? wink )
latest report
Ray Zorro, Well done, you made it back in one piece, and you got a days' skiing done snowHead
snow report
Mr Ray Zorro, Sir, well done that man. What a famous victory. You stand shoulder to shoulder with the explorers of old, the last great adventure conquered, and all for the very reasonable cost of £75. I doff my cap to you, sir, you've shown me the way.
snow report
Ray Zorro, Well done, hmm, I could be tempted with the skiing, NOT the shopping, it is a gamble though. Glad you had a good time and all went according to plan. Very Happy
snow conditions
snowbunny, slikedges, IncogSkiSno, it wasn't quite according to plan, but it went well. I couldn't believe how slowly Italian drivers go. It was sooo frustrating it took 1 hour 15 minutes to do the 60km journey which was a real pain and then we lost a lot of time finding somewhere to park, somewhere to get changed, somewhere to hire kit etc. I could gain quite a bit of extra time second time round.

Because it was such a lovely day, all the day-trippers from Milan had arrived. It was cars everywhere.

We didn't actually get to start skiing till 12:10 in the end, (so I was well out there with my hope of 11:00 to 11:30) but thankfully the lifts stayed open till 4:45 and we skied through to 5:00.

IncogSkiSno, my faith is restored if you really do prefer skiing to shopping. Laughing
latest report
Ray, respect due! snowHead Would you do it again?
ski holidays
Well done Ray Zorro,
snow conditions
Excellent. How far from Stanstead are you time wise .. this is the problem for doing things like that from up here .. Jet2's flight times really don't lend themselves to this sort of activity (he says as he grabs the timetable stuck to his wall) I lie at a pinch on a Saturday you could do LBA -> GVA 0600 return 2000 but the traffic on change over day might be a nightmare. I'll stick it at the back of my mind!
ski holidays
Is Foppolo anywhere near Passo Tonale? What was the snow like?????

I take it, it was sunny?
latest report
Ray Zorro, We have an apartment in Samoens (just completed) and over the past 2 years have done a couple of day trips. Luton 06:30 -Geneva 09:30 with easyjet, hire car and in Samoens by 11:30 local time. This wasn;t for skiing trips - however, which this knowledge, in March last year went with some friends - told them 3 days skiing - but surprised them with the extra half day. Easyjet also do a 22:00 ish flight back. Again, if you pick mid week it is really cheap (plus more terrain than MK or Tamworth!) in fact - price wise it is only about £60 more too! It is a really long day - but worth it if you are short on time. Anyone who wants "short breaks" let me know as we have availablity later in season. snowHead
snow report
Ray Zorro, excellent! Glad it worked out. Just wondering, was there any reason you didn't think about staying overnight in resort? I think I'd fancy getting a cheap B&B and skiing all day Sunday too - surely wouldn't add that much to the cost?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy