Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where can I ski in Europe after May 17th?

Poster: A snowHead
Is there anywhere to ski in Europe after May 17th, which now seems to be the earliest any foreign holidays will be allowed from the UK?

I guess I would be looking at glacier skiing — but I'll take anything snowHead

Would love to hear anyones experiences or recommendations; it would be good to be able to book say a 1 week training course or even longer.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt maybe, but you'll have to quarantine for 10 days once you enter the country.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was wondering whether Riksgränsen might be a good shout this year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it all depends on the foreign countries entry restrictions.

Eg, when is France going to relax entry requirements.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin wrote:
I was wondering whether Riksgränsen might be a good shout this year.

It looks like they are opening on 26th Feb. There seems to be conflicting information online about the closing date however. On the Snow gives a projected closing date of 16/05/21, however skiresort.info gives a closing date of 20/06/21.

Possible first ever Scandinavian sHs Bash? Toofy Grin

Failing that, of the glacier resorts one of the best imv is Hintertux, which I've been to several times. I don't think there's ever been an Austrian sHs bash either..... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Website says, "Riksgränsen will be open during the coming winter season. Our winter season will run from the 26th of February until the 23rd of May."

https://riksgransen.se/en/om-riksgransen/oppettider/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm guessing the OP was very slightly tongue in cheek. It's possible that European countries won't allow travellers from Britain in, or you have to quarantine. It's possible that travel will be allowed but you'd have to quarantine on return. It's your choice but I wouldn't assume normal travel will be back just yet. Fingers firmly crossed for next season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt is open all year round. Infection rate is falling. Could be your best bet at that time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Poogle, Hemel Hempstead, or perhaps Chill Factore/ Xscape if you don't mind travelling. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
phillc wrote:
Website says, "Riksgränsen will be open during the coming winter season. Our winter season will run from the 26th of February until the 23rd of May."

Yes, but what about their Summer season?
Riksgränsen is renowned for skiing under the midnight sun, on the Summer solstice snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm guessing all the summer glaciers in the Alps would normally be open, although they sometimes close for a few weeks between winter and summer.
Also, some glacier resorts that don't open in the summer but do have long seasons are often open through til the end of May like Engelberg and Stubai.
Of course, May 17th is an indication rather than a guarantee and we don't know what the quarantine situation will be then, but fingers crossed it might just about be possible!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tux, Stubai?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Poogle If you want to keep up-to-date on what the rules are, as they evolve, then you can get the gov.uk website to email you when they change. Basic travel rules are on the corresponding pages for

France
Switzerland

go up a level for the complete list of countries. See the bottom of each page for the Get Email Alerts registration link. There are also some other useful sites that will have the definitive information for visitors:

Swiss Embassy in London
The Swiss Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH)
The French Consulate in London
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The summer skiing on glacier is different to normal skiing, I personally dont like, becasue the only way up on many places is t-bar, so you spend a lot of time getting up and not skiing. Also, only half day the are open.
Make sense to combine with other activities, like MTB and walking.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are the current airport restrictions going to change? If not then you wont get further than check-in if you dont have an essential reason for travel.
snow report
@ropetow, hint... there is a reason why the OP specified 17 May wink
snow conditions
@ed48, Agreed. Had a great holiday one time in Tignes back in mid 90's, 7am-11am skiing, then pm MTB/ roadbiking, lazing around the pool and/ or hiking. It was fun overall but the skiing was the worst part of the time there, and was definitely nothing like winter skiing, more akin to being in a snowdome, similar snow (but without the roof over obviously!) by 11am it was done.

I see that Warren Smith advertises (or used to anyways) off-piste snow camps in Saas-Fee in July/ August - really?!

So we now go every summer for the last 15 years or so (apart from 2020 obviously) hut to hut high-level hiking and mountain-biking to Arlberg/ Vorarlberg/ Bregenzerwald and they are awesome holidays, booked again end August, but I have zero desire to ski on a local(ish) glacier, i'll leave that to winter. It's of little interest, and a complete slush fest after 9.30am.
snow conditions
ropetow Well, it's more a case of airlines having to enforce the rules defined by the destination countries. The IATA TravelPass system and App is due to be up and running by the end of March, so from May onwards, the mechanics of Vaccination Passports and Tests (for flying) will then be covered. Leaving the focus on the rules themselves.

My prediction is that UK and Swiss authorities will be in a position to waive quarantine for corresponding flight arrivals sometime over the summer. But what the position of France will be looks more uncertain.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-02-21 13:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Markymark29,
Same for me, I spent 2 weeks in Les 2 Alpes last summer in July, and only been 3 times to glacier, epic mtb routes and epic walking in the Ecrins. Will do same this year, may be try something else in term of location.
ski holidays
@ed48, Good stuff......take a look at Bregenzerwald, well off the beaten track but some great hiking and mtb-ing. Food and beer brilliant too. Good to stay in Warth, Damuls or or Steeg areas in Lechtal over the mountains as you drop down to Reutte, and hike up to Kaisers/ Valluga. Dornbirn a great town also if you want it busier (we don't)!
ski holidays
@Markymark29,
Thank you! Will check that out!
ski holidays
ropetow wrote:
Are the current airport restrictions going to change? If not then you wont get further than check-in if you dont have an essential reason for travel.

May 17 only affects being able to leave UK. Until UK, now a third country, is back on EU safe countries list, countries are likely to impose entry restrictions - eq quarantine, essential reason etc etc.

Fonna Glacier, Norway. 1 drag lift. Nearby campsite!! Skinned up glacier for sunset at 2320 at midsummer.
snow report
If you live in scotland, nowhere! Absolute joke of a government
snow report
admin wrote:
phillc wrote:

Yes, but what about their Summer season?
Riksgränsen is renowned for skiing under the midnight sun, on the Summer solstice snowHead

Love the idea of a a scandi bash snowHead

Somebody mentioned that Fonna has great snow through the summer, but is much smaller...
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
If you live in scotland, nowhere! Absolute joke of a government

indeed.
snow conditions
I've skied both Engelberg and Stubai after 17 May

Both were excellent.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
Tux, Stubai?

Stubai is shut at the moment but Hintertux has a very good base (370cm) so if travel restrictions allow it could be a possibility.
snow report
Stubai is open – but only Thu-Sun at the moment, and they're only running 2-4 lifts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Scarlet - it was showing shut for today but that explains it.
Looks like the base at Stubai is also 370cm. I wonder if the hotels do open up in April 2021 whether there will be a rush to go skiing and then more lifts will be open. ,
ski holidays
Neil Neige wrote:
I'm guessing all the summer glaciers in the Alps would normally be open, although they sometimes close for a few weeks between winter and summer.
Also, some glacier resorts that don't open in the summer but do have long seasons are often open through til the end of May like Engelberg and Stubai.
Of course, May 17th is an indication rather than a guarantee and we don't know what the quarantine situation will be then, but fingers crossed it might just about be possible!

Am pretty sure the glacier for Zermatt (at least from the Italian side has a break between the end of the winter season and the start of the summer season. Winter ends beginning of May and summer usually starts 20th or so of June.
latest report
Just booked a week in the Hof for June and will get a few days up at Tux if all goes to plan. However sturgeon is still going for elimination so that could easily be fecked up by idiot politicians.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy