Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Needed - Reluctant Partner

Poster: A snowHead
@Old Fartbag, snowHead I'm getting a whiff of a thinly disguised advertisement.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeakyB wrote:
@Old Fartbag, snowHead I'm getting a whiff of a thinly disguised advertisement.

No, you're getting a whiff of envy - as I simply couldn't afford to take my brood to that sort of luxury. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

No, you're getting a whiff of envy - as I simply couldn't afford to take my brood to that sort of luxury.

Oh I thought UCPA was relatively cheap?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeakyB wrote:
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

No, you're getting a whiff of envy - as I simply couldn't afford to take my brood to that sort of luxury.

Oh I thought UCPA was relatively cheap?

...but the Hôtel Les Barmes De l'Ours (which I recommended to the OP, based on his statement of having no budget restrictions) isn't.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm talking about.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, Laughing
I think we may be at cross porpoises.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Laughing
I think we may be at cross porpoises.

...and angry Dolphins can be dangerous. Madeye-Smiley

After a nights sleep, I might now be on the same page. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plus 1 for Champoluc, though maybe not ideal for complete beginners.

A slightly off-beat suggestion: Cauterets, in the Pyrenees. Stunning little Belle Epoque town with two spas, an excellent indoor market and lots of very reasonable self-catering and hotel accommodation. There's a gondola from the town up to a small ski area in a north-facing bowl (which gets lots of snow) and a beautiful snow-shoeing/nordic/walking area nearby at Pont d'Espagne.

Within 40 minutes' drive you have several other ski resorts, including the excellent Grand Tourmalet which has the Pyrenees' answer to the Aiguille du Midi, the Pic du Midi. Ryanair fly Stansted to Lourdes, also about 40 minutes' drive away.

https://www.n-py.com/en/cauterets
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PeakyB wrote:
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

I took the OP very literally, when he said cost wasn't an issue.

A very reasonable interpretation, considering the OP wrote...

'The cost isn't a factor - any budget is fine.'

It isn’t a factor. Finding the right situation is the most important.

But value is always important.

I wouldn’t spend £10k on a week of skiing but it’s not worth it when I can have a comparable week for £5k...

Also, hassle is part of the value. UCPA, Ski Famille etc are very low hassle but my own chalet with my own transfers etc is more hassle and less value to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UCPA is very good value - but "family weeks" are few and far between.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bezthespaniard,
Quote:

I wouldn’t spend £10k on a week of skiing but it’s not worth it when I can have a comparable week for £5k...

It is useful that you’ve clarified that now I think.

I agree, value, and therefore by association cost, are factors.

Good luck finding a trip that meets your quite complicated needs. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bezthespaniard wrote:

Also, hassle is part of the value. UCPA, Ski Famille etc are very low hassle but my own chalet with my own transfers etc is more hassle and less value to me.

That is all very understandable - so it then begs the question...what sum does give value - and what are you prepared to give up to keep the costs down?

- If you want a hotel with a spa, that is ski in/ski out, in a premium resort, that has a nice village to walk around....you will pay for it.

- You can find a hotel that does the job, that does have some spa facilities, which may cost extra....but will be further out, or in the cheaper part of the area, or in a more purpose built resort....eg. Hotel Diva in Tignes Lac; Hotel Golf in Arc 1800; Hotel La Cachette in Arc 1600 (which has easy access to the town of Bourg St Maurice) or Hotel New Solarium in Courchevel 1800 (Jardin Alpin area). This is the path I now take, but I'm looking for easy access to a large area, with an acceptable level of comfort....and it's mostly two of us.

When the Kids were young, we went self catering, as hotels were very bad value (and not very practical) for kids....but we both could ski......and it's damn hard work, which we accepted as we both loved skiing and wanted to invest in our Kids' skiing ability.

- Your other option is to go somewhere smaller and more boutique - where you will get better vfm, easy skiing, an authentic village....but may not be so snow sure or have such a choice of really good, English speaking instructors.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 2-03-21 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I entirely understand the OP's response to the "budget" question. Last time I was in the market for a second hand car I would walk into a showroom, or telephone, tell them what I wanted (a car which would seat an occasional 7, with capacity to carry a full size spare wheel, a year or so old). They kept asking me what my budget was, and I kept refusing to tell them - I said I didn't have a budget, which was true. In terms of "money in the bank" I could perfectly well have bought a car in that category brand new, for cash, but I think new cars are generally a waste of money and would generally buy one after the first year or so of heavy depreciation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As previously noted, smaller scale may offer particularly good insight.

We've introduced families to skiing with variation of reluctance for disparate reasons, cold, unfamiliar, trepidation, risk averse, all certainly valid. But entirely converted usually by enjoying it once immersed.

I illustrate with a particular place, in that it's small in most senses, friendly relaxed and courteously descreet in mood and atmosphere. Very very child enjoyable, a hugely important element for any parent contemplating a first visit.
Accommodation literally on the snow with lift 50th mtrs from that, with great freedom to just enjoy the whole day from ski lessons and subsequently playing on the snow afterwards, either ski or toboggan etc with two magic carpets. The children we've taken have usually spent the whole day really active and don't last much toward 21.00hr as if someone just switched them off.
There's no other real "attractions" so not much in the way of planning, but they just don't seem to need much. But with an environment in which they thrive. There's a short first lift with both blue and green options down to village, with most of the children feeling hugely accomplished after the lessons showing their parents newly aquired skills. Watching them build autonomy doing this is just one of the highlights.
We've used self catering, but there are some very good places to eat.
Has one of the best and most accessible very long blue runs available, and with low people numbers too. Absolutely ideal from a pure beginner perspective with the whole family able to spend time skiing together.
Usually, if it's convenient, 2nd or 3rd week in March provides beautiful conditions and weather.
There are pools and other facilities, but it's not a major focus. But all of the people we've been with seem to deplete their energy throughout the day with not much taste for chasing something else to do.
I feel the children get so much out of going here that parents, both, can really relax and enjoy showing them how good the mountains are.
If you set out to convert someone, that may be the wrong direction in my view.
But if you collectively have a great adventure, then most want to go again.

We've stayed here https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/winter/ski-resorts/tarentaise/sainte-foy/les-fermes-de-sainte-foy?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuMjUtJGP7wIVh7TtCh1KkQBmEAAYASAAEgISVPD_BwE but all of the accommodation is with the same real distance as the village is small.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, yes but it’s one thing saying you don’t have a budget (or specifically don’t want to reveal it to a salesperson in a car showroom).

It’s another quite different thing to state ‘the cost isn’t a factor, any budget is fine’ on a web forum.

Or am I the only one who perceives a difference and ambiguity here?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't see the difference. It wasn't just that i didn't disclose my "budget". I didn't have a budget. I have no car at the moment - gave mine to one of my kids, who needed it more than I did, early in lockdown last year. I will need to acquire a car in the next months or so and, once again, I will have no budget. I could afford to buy myself a nice little convertible sports car with posh wheels. My family and friends would be astonished - whereas they won't turn a hair when I go for a two-year old Hyndai i10. In holiday terms, I would pay a premium for the right resort, or for well-located accommodation (near the lifts, ski school meeting places etc) but not for a "luxury" hotel or a smartly-appointed apartment. I've paid premium prices for really small group ski lessons for grand-children - and felt they were exceptionally good value. But they're all in hand-me-down ski clothes. I will buy an expensive wine in Waitrose but baulk at paying the same price for a bottle of plonk in a restaurant. As @bezthespaniard says, it's about value.

I suppose we all have our own priorities and our own view of what is "pointless extravagance". I feel like that about poor quality take-away food. I'd prefer to have a cheese sandwich. The money I've saved by not buying take-aways, over many years, means I have enough savings to buy myself quite a fancy car, if that was what I valued. But I don't. It's not inconsistent for someone who has enough money to pay in a fancy hotel to decide to go to UCPA.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@pam w, yes but it’s one thing saying you don’t have a budget (or specifically don’t want to reveal it to a salesperson in a car showroom).

It’s another quite different thing to state ‘the cost isn’t a factor, any budget is fine’ on a web forum.

Or am I the only one who perceives a difference and ambiguity here?

No you're not the only one.....It's not a big deal - It just means the advice given may not be totally suitable. Bringing VFM into the equation does change things considerably (in a sensible way).
snow conditions
VFM isn't straightforward though. Some people think a luxury hotel with great "wellness" (yuk) facilities is good value. I wouldn't because I don't like hotels and I specially dislike "luxury" hotels. The most expensive place I ever stayed was a tented game camp with buckets with holes in for showers. Smokey mugs of early morning tea, round an open fire, in the very chilly dawn prior to private game drives - just the five of us, in an open Land Rover with an expert guide. Was brilliant VFM.

Just writing about it I can almost smell it......... woodsmoke and dry grass. And the extraordinary smell of earth after a short sharp afternoon downpour.
ski holidays
@pam w, all true. But in the context of a person asking for advice about where to go to meet quite tricky requirements, a brief description of what they think of as VFM helps.
ski holidays
Yes - I agree! People need to give us as much to go on as possible. It particularly irks me when someone asks for advice for a "non skier". rolling eyes I have had a number of "non skiers" on holidays I've arranged, and none has needed "entertainment" or "shopping".
snow report
So for clarity, I wouldn’t consider anything above £6k for a week of skiing to be good value.

Ski Famille is about £5k for the 4 of us but UCPA Family Week, including Yoga and Spa trips and a similar experience is £3k for the week.

In bigger news, my wife and I are postponing the 2022 trip until 2023 when we are going to go Ski Famille in Reberty.

I’m going on a lads trip this year and sending her and her friends to somewhere hot!
latest report
if budget is not an issue, zermatt unplugged would keep everyone happy in the 2nd week of April !
ski holidays
Quote:

I’m going on a lads trip this year and sending her and her friends to somewhere hot!

Sensible outcome, though I don't like the language. wink
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

Sensible outcome, though I don't like the language.

Indeed, her is obviously going on a ladettes trip to warm climes.
wink
snow report
IMO The choice is go high in April - moonscape with not much in the way of non-skiing activities,
or,
Go low in February - beautiful villages and towns with plenty of other activities.
Somewhere like Kitzbuhel is unlikely to be that cold even in mid-winter.

I'd choose February every time.
snow report
Quote:

In bigger news, my wife and I are postponing the 2022 trip until 2023 when we are going to go Ski Famille in Reberty.

All been a bit of a red herring this one Very Happy

ski holidays
Consenting adults, @PeakyB, wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Have you seen Home Alone?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, Laughing totally.

I was finally thinking as a late female convert to skiing I’d have something to add but my contribution was pointless as ever Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w,
Quote:

Consenting adults, @PeakyB,

As far as we know.
ski holidays
@Skimum1,
Quote:

I was finally thinking as a late female convert to skiing I’d have something to add but my contribution was pointless as ever

Well not if the OP's better half reads your sound advice, then it won't be wasted Smile
latest report
And perhaps our concerted advice dissuaded the OP from a holiday which might have been a bit of a disaster!
snow conditions
bezthespaniard wrote:
So... based on this thread here is my plan:

1. I am going to get the kids and my wife taster lessons at ChillFactore - to see how they take to the snow.

I'd book her a private lesson - more expensive, but might be less chancy than a taster lesson. If you book as soon as the Chillfactore open up you might be able to get her on a group lesson which turns out to be private as she's the only one on it. Depends if many others decide to learn as soon as it opens. Certainly this has worked previously, especially if you book for some odd day of the week. My wife and I had taster lessons and they were a bit of a whirlwind with about 20 people. If she likes it you might then think about booking her on a 3 session course, or if you can afford it, some more private lessions.

I would also echo what a few others have said about Wengen, or Murren for that matter. Both good places to learn, the Victoria Lauberhorn is a great hotel with pool, wild water for the kids, and a few bubble areas etc. and the food is very good. The ski area is pretty good for the likes of yourself as well. Crystal go there.
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

And perhaps our concerted advice dissuaded the OP from a holiday which might have been a bit of a disaster!

Indeed. He might even have become a 'New Man'. The influence of snowHeads doesn't begin and end on the mountain.
snow report
I was reluctant partner 10 years ago. Couldn’t cope with the rest of the family holidaying without me so decided to take the plunge.
I am now more likely to go skiing with my pals than my very experienced husband is.
Let your partner go at their own pace. Invest in a couple of private lessons and then book more if it goes well so there’s no pressure.
My kids loved it straight away and I took a lot longer to pick it up (I was 40 when we first went).
It makes sense to go somewhere with other activities that the family will enjoy, just in case ....but I’d say most resorts have some other things to do so pick the best resort for beginners and good accommodation close to the beginners area or lifts.
If you’re able to, avoid the crowds of the school holidays..although that may be difficult if your kids are school age.
I hope you have as much fun as we do! There’s nowhere we’d all rather be now and our kids are 19 and 21 both fabulous skiers. I still like the blue runs and I don’t go fast but I love it!
latest report
Notwithstanding the decision to go in 2023 to Reberty, one could do a lot worse than look at the Dachstein König https://www.dachsteinkoenig.at/en/salzkammergut/ given ages of kids plus wife being a newbie. Spa Hotel, only for families and possibly, ever so slightly, at the higher end of the market.

200m max from ski lifts, but they do have a golf buggy type ‘train’ to whisk guests from door to door, so to speak. They also provide complimentary Minis for guests who wish to take in alternative sights. They will also organise private transfers to/fro airports etc etc
ski holidays
I love you all
latest report
Those who Play together, Stay together... Those who Don't, Wont.
snow conditions
@bezthespaniard,
Quote:

I love you all

Even the locusts?
ski holidays
Quote:

Puzzled
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled

I think he's saying if Bez doesn't make this ski holiday work then the relationship is doomed wink Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy