Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will 21/22;season happen for the British?

Poster: A snowHead
When will Westminster stop funding Scotland and remove all the SNP’s from the Westminster government, surely a devolved parliament should mean no rule from London as the SNP want, but also no voice or cash?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I've seen this ridiculous statement about eliminating the virus in Scotland before.

Absolute rubbish!!!

If that was the case, then Scotland (the only Country in the World to achieve such exceptional results) would have had daily figures in the tens,

Which is exactly what DID happen for a few weeks in June and July, before holidays etc kickstarted things again.

Quote:

If it was so easy, then Shetland and Orkney could have done the same, but they couldn't.

Shetland seem to have been managing quite well, zero cases over the last week, only around 5 in last month.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would be amazed if next winer is normal. I suspect no skiing is a distinct possibility.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"You can't compare Great Britain and New Zealand, it's really unfair, there are so many variables that are completely different. For example, their leader is very good and listened to science whereas ours is properly poo-poo and listened to Steve Bannon and Dominic Cummings."
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brianatab wrote:

e.g. When newly registered self employed were excluded (on the grounds of susceptibility to fraud), she over ruled the decision, and awarded it for Scots. (another case of buying votes?).

Excellent example of drivel posted as fact on the www.

p.s. It is 100% wrong, and I can confirm this as I am one of those affected, there is no equivalent of the Self Employed support for newly Self Emp - they offer a hardship grant, but the eligibility criteria was basically "if you are living in a tent eating dogfood".

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 19-02-21 10:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster wrote:
I would be amazed if next winer is normal. I suspect no skiing is a distinct possibility.

I suppose to counter this, I suspect that skiing is a distinct possibility next season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ditto - I think there will be skiing next season
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once we've accepted an indefinite ban on international leisure travel, we'll need to get somebody from NZ to tell us how we could get zero covid in the UK.
They could tell us what to about the thousands of truckers arriving across the channel every day. And the hundreds of arrivals in Kent (whenever the sea's not too rough) of people who've not got a negative test result, nor a passport.
Plus all the important businessmen, politicians and campaigners for worthy causes, flying in for international conferences etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
peerless ploughman wrote:
They could tell us what to about the thousands of truckers arriving across the channel every day.

Testing/Vaccine.

peerless ploughman wrote:
Plus all the important businessmen, politicians and campaigners for worthy causes, flying in for international conferences etc.

None of which is necessary.

Do we have control of our borders or not?

Anyhow, can't see this Government going for zero covid and probably off topic for this thread.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For what it's worth, NZ has been very successful in controlling the virus. They were lucky in that there were very few cases early on, and an early lockdown helped control it in the community.

However, they are not completely Covid free.

They have a VERY strict quarantine procedure, and have had a number of cases identified in that process. They have also recently had a small number of cases where people have been in quarantine, tested as -ve, but then had symptoms and tested +ve at home. The assumption is that they picked up the infection during quarantine, and this is being investigated.

More worrying for them is that they have also had the occasional case in the Community, not all of which can be traced back to contacts with recent arrivals.

There have been 3 such cases in the last couple of weeks. As a result, Auckland is in level 3, and Wellington in level2 lockdowns.

The fact that they have, effectively isolated themselves for 12 months, with only limited numbers of Nationals allowed to return home, but still have outbreaks shows how impossible zero covid would be in any other Country.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At the risk of wading into the quagmire that is the 'Next Season is Going to be More Expensive' thread, I think it's 90% certain that for those flying, next season will require every passenger to be 1. Vaccinated (or carry a vaccination exemption certificate) and 2. Tested to get on the outbound flight for entry to the EU or Switzerland. You'll be using the IATA TravelPass App (due for release March) as the underlying certification mechanism (so actual path to airside won't be any more time-consuming than it was). So budget the cost of testing everyone outbound (e.g. Boots one is £120, I understand in-airport versions can be as much as £300).

Less certain is whether the UK will bother to / want to / want to actually enforce the same conditions on return. If it does, then budget another test plus actually doing it, plus the extra logistics (in resort? at the airport? at some pre-flight facility nearby?). Ditto the IATA TravelPass as the underlying mechanism for certification.

I suspect that Travel Insurers will also formulate Ts+Cs that insist on your complying with these conditions, otherwise you'll risk complete exclusion of cover. As an aside, if you're going to Switzerland then you have no GHIC cover, so you'll need to be sure your travel cover includes Switzerland / non-EU European cover. Expect about 15%+ extra on the current policy for this.

We don't have any insight at the moment as to how the air travel scheme will be replicated for ferry and Eurotunnel journeys. Worst case, this'll be a separate App. Very worst case this'll be some sort of paper-PDF lash-up along the lines of the current Immigration Service notification. Which basically is a piece of paper that needs to be printed/generated while you're on holiday, no more than 48h before you travel. Cue delays at ferry and Eurotunnel check in, as Immigration staff wade through the various bits of paper, alert for forgeries, and people can't find the PDF they downloaded on their mobiles. Outbound, the French douaniers will be thorough and so expect delays, return, the UK Immigration staff will ask you if you have your docs, but won't bother to check.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally if I've learnt anything in the last 12 months. it is that theorising where we will be at in 10 months time is futile.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
When will Westminster stop funding Scotland and remove all the SNP’s from the Westminster government, surely a devolved parliament should mean no rule from London as the SNP want, but also no voice or cash?

Sounds like you got a bit worked up last night.

A lot of that "cash going to Scotland" is money received by the Treasury (in Westminster) from Scottish taxpayers. Or Scottish contributions to companies whose tax looks like it is associated with their English headquarters address.

And although some things are devolved, others aren't (defence being a big example, pensions etc another). So the Scots need Westminster representation.

Now if you were arguing for a devolved English parliament (or several English regional parliaments) you would be making a better case.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
ecureuil wrote:
The make-up of next winter's flu booster has probably already been decided. As I understand it, next winter's 'flu vaccine will be decided upon based on the most common variant in this coming summer's Southern Hemisphere 'flu season (of course, this will be complicated if no-one gets the 'flu down under). And vice versa for their variant for their next winter

No, much earlier. I was wrong about it having already been decided, but it effectively will be by this time next week! https://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/consultation202102/en/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:

Wrong again.

Is not a good way to start your post when you haven’t got a clue what your talking about. It’s quite amazing the number of posters who don’t live in Scotland on various forums arrogantly making statements like that to those of us who do live in Scotland from a position of utter ignorance that’s only matched by their condescending sneering. No doubt often informed of their ‘facts’ about the celtic nations by the Daily Mail & Express et al.

Scotland had an extended period averaging single digit cases, and 34 consecutive days without a single covid death during summer 2020.

Genomic sequencing confirms that Scotland was on the cusp of elimination because the first wave strains that were in Scotland did not bring a second wave - that means community transmission was reseeded from outside Scotland.

HMG and the Tory party reacted with absolute fury at the mere suggestion of restricting internal UK borders last summer, several highly aggressive ultra unionist campaigns suddenly popped up funded at the same time. As Scotland prepared to start to open indoor hospitality and visitor attractions mid July the virus prevalence in England was 9.5x the rate per 100k it was in Scotland.

Boris ‘there’s no border’ Johnson was more interested in constitutional politicking than public health. It was clear England had opened too soon, seemingly lifting restrictions on the basis of trends around London and ignoring the fact provincial England was many weeks behind on the curve.

Scotland should at that phase have opened up internally first, until prevalence rates particularly in Northern England had lowered, but the dogs of hell were unleashed against public health advisors for the mere suggestion.

Had the Anglo Scottish border been restricted last summer and hotel quarantine put in place for international travel, like was the case on Christmas Eve I’d likely still be able to go for a pint in the Highlands and more importantly would just had 6 weeks skiing through a period of extraordinarily fine snow/weather combination for Jan and early Feb. I reckon maybe two days might have been lost up wind the whole of January.

In case some posters down south don’t understand the point, such a closure is in both directions, it was a public health necessity and to claim it is anglophobia is the sort of English exceptionalism that brought us both Brexit and a Boris majority.
ski holidays
@haggishunter, "to claim it is anglophobia is the sort of English exceptionalism..."

I'm not racist but...
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
@haggishunter, "to claim it is anglophobia is the sort of English exceptionalism..."

I'm not racist but...

He’s not wrong

(From a Welsh bloke, born in Scotland but lived in England most of my life)
snow report
@j_b

Now if you were arguing for a devolved English parliament (or several English regional parliaments) you would be making a better case.

I just wish we had no devolved parliaments wish were all as one together
snow conditions
800,000 of us Scots currently live and work in England (and another 50,000 in Wales/NI. to put this into context, the population of Scotland is only 5.4 million). Many of us are deeply embarrassed by the antics of the nats.
ski holidays
Timmycb5 wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

I'm not racist but...

He’s not wrong

No, he is wrong, as are you.

No-one I know gives a second thought to the Scots/Irish/Welsh or any kind of "better-ism".

The only people you hear it from are the Scots/Irish/ & Welsh. Mainly the Scots.

If you are going to propose the likes of Johnson or Rees-Mogg to support your position, then that's stereotyping, and that's kind of, well...racist.

To say "I'm not anglophobic", then use a term like "English exceptionalism" kind of unmasks you and your prejudices.
snow conditions
NickYoung wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

I'm not racist but...

He’s not wrong

No-one I know gives a second thought to the Scots/Irish/Welsh or any kind of "better-ism".

The only people you hear it from are the Scots/Irish/ & Welsh. Mainly the Scots.

If you are going to propose the likes of Johnson or Rees-Mogg to support your position, then that's stereotyping, and that's kind of, well...racist.

To say "I'm not anglophobic", then use a term like "English exceptionalism" kind of unmasks you and your prejudices.

Nick, as someone who is more “British” than most (given my journey so far) I like to think I have a more balanced view than many.

It’s my experience that in England “No-one I know gives a second thought to the Scots/Irish/Welsh” full stop, let alone any kind of betterism. That’s why we hear such things as an English passport, English money. Scotland and Wales are generally considered an afterthought at best, and at worst as target for ridicule. And English (not British) Exceptionalism is precisely what led is to Brexit and Johnson.
snow report
@Timmycb5, That's simply racist! You really need to get your head around this!

You are saying that "the English" have a trait of superiority. You are applying a perceived opinion upon an entire nationality. You are an absolute example of "I'm not racist but..."

Please stop. Do not do it.

And I have NEVER heard the terms "English money" or "English passport". Can you show where these terms have been used??

Fly a Saltire or a Dragon and you are patriotic. Fly a St George and you're a racist - is that your world?
ski holidays
*As a Yorkshireman, I should point out that WE are indeed superior, to the exclusion of the rest of the England and the UK, or however you want to carve it up!
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
NickYoung wrote:

I'm not racist but...

He’s not wrong

Nick, as someone who is more “British” than most (given my journey so far) I like to think I have a more balanced view than many.

It’s my experience that in England “No-one I know gives a second thought to the Scots/Irish/Welsh” full stop, let alone any kind of betterism. That’s why we hear such things as an English passport, English money when no such thing exists. Scotland and Wales are generally considered an afterthought at best, and at worst as target for ridicule. And English (not British) Exceptionalism is precisely what led us to Brexit and Johnson.
latest report
@Timmycb5, The more you say it, the more wrong you are...(I'm guessing edit problems).
snow report
@Timmycb5, said " That’s why we hear such things as an English passport, English money"

I have never, ever heard those phrases, at least, not uttered by an Englishman.
snow report
English exceptionalism. Scottish alcoholism. Irish stupidity. Welsh sheep-lovers.

All racist tropes that should be utterly and unequivocally disavowed.

The whole point of "Britishness" is that we are more the same than we are different.

The same for "European-ness".

Or indeed "human".

Those gobshites on the extremities do not define the masses.
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:
you hear it from are the Scots/Irish/ & Welsh. Mainly the Scots.

Did you actually read what was posted? The UK government lead by Boris was attacking public health experts in Scotland and accusing them of being driven by anglophobia when the public health rationale for restricting travel across the Anglo Scottish border was blinding obvious under the circumstances at that time. That's why he was brought up, funnily enough the public health expert who copped the most abuse with a sustained and orchestrated pile-on isn't even Scottish but an American from Florida.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BoardieK wrote:
@Timmycb5, said " That’s why we hear such things as an English passport, English money"

I have never, ever heard those phrases, at least, not uttered by an Englishman.

No idea if you’re English, Welsh or Scottish, but in my 25 years living in England, the amount England and the UK is conflated by English people is quite frequent. It’s probably only noticeable if you’re not English.

It may not me meant as a slight by those saying it, mind. I’m sure most don’t mean any harm, but it is subtle othering nonetheless.
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
English exceptionalism. Scottish alcoholism. Irish stupidity. Welsh sheep-lovers.

All racist tropes that should be utterly and unequivocally disavowed.

The whole point of "Britishness" is that we are more the same than we are different.

The same for "European-ness".

Or indeed "human".

Those gobshites on the extremities do not define the masses.

Molesting animals
Inferior intellect/stupidity
Alcoholism

All oh so equivalent to saying someone has an over inflated opinion of oneself. JFC.
snow conditions
NickYoung wrote:

Those gobshites on the extremities.

Christ is that you going on about the Scots and Welsh again! Laughing
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, Can you read? ALL RACIST TROPES.
snow conditions
It's surprising how far this thread had gone off topic, how quickly and for how long. I really do wander how many posters on Snowheads now days have any interest in skiing.
latest report
@esaw1, It's classic Snowheads though. If a thread get beyond page 1 then it will have gone OT and descended into argument, insult and willy waving Laughing
snow report
@esaw1, I'm feeling that it's about 65-35 that the 21-22 season goes ahead in Europe albeit with SOME restrictions do do with vaccination/testing/masks/distancing. Maybe 'Normal-Lite'.
ski holidays
Personally I know no one who has been very unwell or died of Covid in England. My Scottish wife is constanly hearing about friends & relatives who have died of it, cousins spouses dying etc. All in their 50s/60s. Sisters work colleague (A&E Nurse) being in ICU etc and then poor girls father died of it.

Professionally working in primary care I am aware of numerous deaths, severe illnesses and Long Covid in younger age groups. Never issues with vaccine side-effects (generally your arm aches and you are rough for 36 hours).

I have booked up for Tignes next season. However as @Fridge03 states if we cannot ski next season our winter holidays will be the last of our concerns.

I am booked on the EOSB. Will have to make a decision if I book work that week soon otherwise I will be twiddling thumbs unpaid for a week. Hopefully will be able to put the deposit back into my Snowhead Account for 21/22, 0r 22/23 as I have lots on hopefully next Winter.
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:

What happens when you are English then and you use the term "English exceptionalism"? Are you some sort of personal self hater?

The hilarity is that all this chatter comes because in response to a factual comment about the virus being on the cusp of elimination in Scotland last summer, an "English exceptionalist" sprung from the shadows and poo-poo'ed that despite it being self evidently true proving the point.

Just to be clear, I was born in England, I do live in Scotland. I have never voted SNP, and never will. I voted No in 2014 without hesitation, though I do admit I would find it very hard to do so again.
latest report
Back to the original theme...
It will be interesting (indeed for most of us, critical) to see what any requirements will be for children to travel. By next ski season, all adults will have been offered a vaccination, and the certification to prove this if necessary. But children are not going to be vaccinated for some time (if ever) so would they have to take a test instead? In which case, that is going to add £££ to the cost of a family trip, and you run the risk of testing positive 48 hours before return to the UK (E.g. catching CV in a gondola), and so having to remain overseas for another 10 days. Even if you could insure against the cost, that would be hugely disruptive to the vast majority of families. I wonder how many would be prepared to take that risk...?
snow report
@snowhound, I was wondering that - thankfully (I think) all mine will be over 18 by then - I assume there would need to be some agreement on children.

if only there was some sort of Europe wide organisation!
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
Back to the original theme...
It will be interesting (indeed for most of us, critical) to see what any requirements will be for children to travel. By next ski season, all adults will have been offered a vaccination, and the certification to prove this if necessary. But children are not going to be vaccinated for some time (if ever) so would they have to take a test instead? In which case, that is going to add £££ to the cost of a family trip, and you run the risk of testing positive 48 hours before return to the UK (E.g. catching CV in a gondola), and so having to remain overseas for another 10 days. Even if you could insure against the cost, that would be hugely disruptive to the vast majority of families. I wonder how many would be prepared to take that risk...?
In all the talk about "vaccine passports" they have included negative tests if you haven't been vaccinated. Hadn't occurred to me about having to stay in the alps if you contracted it there! Wonder how that would work logistically, as you probably wouldn't have anywhere to stay.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy