Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas to Ski USA in Jan 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Mr.Egg wrote:
epic/ik@Scooter in Seattle,

yea, but that's fine if you are there for a while & able to ski all season.
For the normal tourist your kinda stuck of spending a lot for a lift pass or spending a lot for a lift pass, along with the extra expense of getting around.

Neither of which fall in line with 'ON A BUDGET'

@DrLawn could check out the Mountain Collective pass.
https://mountaincollective.com/
When purchased early it has a third ‘bonus’ day at one hill.
So that $400 pass could provide 5 days at absolute iconic mountains. So many options. Personally I would fly into Jackson and do three days at Jackson Hole and two over the pass at Grand Targhee. There’s a bus so no car required. Jackson is a cracking town too.
Or if cheaper flights are preferred fly into Salt Lake and hit up Alta and Snowbird. You would really be best with a car for that option though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'd take 3 days in my third-choice location over 1 or 2 in my top choice, as the delta between locations is so marginal anyway.

Bergmeister wrote:

Delta? Puzzled What's that mean?

It's a mathematical symbol often used to denote a difference, but I would just have written "difference" Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'd take 3 days in my third-choice location over 1 or 2 in my top choice, as the delta between locations is so marginal anyway.

I think it's a personal thing. I understand where you are coming from. The average Brit with no previous knowledge or expectations would likely have just as good experience if they went to Banff, Denver, SLC etc., so taking the extra day makes sense. All offer great skiing.

Personally given the choice id rather do a day less and go to squaw than SLC or Colorado. Not because I think the snowboarding will be vastly superior. More that I would love to see some of the iconic lines from all the ski films in person and maybe ride some myself. Same for Jackson hole, and bridger bowl. I have an extra interest in those places which for me is worth more than an extra day of riding.

But there is a strong possibility that even with connecting flights you can get just as many days skiing as with direct anyway so might not be an issue (unless you are looking at somewhere considerably remote).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As far as airlines go, no one has loaded schedules for mid-January 2022 yet, as we are a
bit more than 330 days out from that time. And of course, any schedule that is in place
in a couple of weeks is going to change maybe multiple times over the course of the year.
I.e., don't count on a short connection booked now being valid then.

To pile on top of that, Frontier is a low-cost airline, similar to Ryanair and Easyjet. I would
not bet that you can get Frontier to tag your luggage to go all the way back to LHR from
DEN. So you'd have to claim at MCO domestic and then go back to international and recheck.
I think 2:20 would be cutting it too close. And, you'd be buying two separate tickets. So
if you miss the BA flight, they would not have any obligation to rebook you on a later flight.

Flying back to London from Denver seems much more logical. If you went to Utah, you could
take KLM nonstop back to AMS and then Eurostar back to St Pancras.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, would you still get back to London in time to catch your flight to S18BB?

If not, I recommend a couple of days at Universal Studios, perhaps a little snow fix at Blizzard Beach.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi@Dave of the Marmottes
Nope I've not bought the tickets to Orlando yet, actually I had better get on it, the price is very reasonable at the moment to Orlando.

What I should do is just book the return for the conference .... the return leg was only £86 last week.
Cheap enough to dump.

The return leg from Denver is pretty steep.

Anyway, this is just a dream at the moment ... My main difficulty will be getting a Green Card from the misses ..
I'm already pushing my luck next season with Pre Season Tignes, Birthday Bash, End of Season Val Thorens.
I'd like to get a week with my granddaughter skiing as well, while there is a possibilty for me to keep up. Smile
There was talk of a trip to the Bear Paw Lodge as well, but ... thats a dream as well now.

But I do get a Lotto Ticket.. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:

Here is the criteria:
Jan 13th to about the 19th.
I'll be on my own.
I'm only 71 and I used to be a very good skier, but I peaked about 25 years ago.
I'll be "on a budget".
I like an adventure.

I'm a little late to the party. But that gives me a better view of what your REAL criteria, which came out in subsequent posts:

You seem a rather good skier, despite "off your peak". At 71, every year will be a year older, and a year more off your peak. So my first suggestion is DO IT when you can!

Now where. Let's just say we stick with Denver, just to simplify things. But I'm going to give a bit more on the motivation of my suggestions so you can change your airport if need be.

Several people mention MLK weekend being busy. Ignore them! I'm based in the US, MLK weekend is a minor holiday. Only maybe 60% of the workforce gets the Monday off. Some people are confusing it with President's day weekend which was followed by school holiday (the American version of half term).

However, mid-January is still relatively "early" in terms of snow depth. So, you need to think about snow record. Base on that alone, I'd put more weight on Denver (or SLC). And completely write off California and the godforsaken east coast! You're gambling with poor snow with very poor odds consider the financial and time investment you're putting in.

Now that I've laid out my recommendation on the basis of needing good snow record. I would second Toadman's suggestion of Aspen or Steamboat. Why? Both towns have limited bed base. So it will not be over run by the weekenders. Given you're a pretty decent skier, I'd say Aspen is a better destination.

Isn't Aspen super expensive? It can be. But it doesn't need to be. There're a lot of really nice and really expensive hotels. But you aren't into that. There are limited supply of budget hotels too. You have the advantage of booking something far in advance anyway. So you may still have some availability.

2 focus points of budget lodging: Snowmass, or Aspen town slightly farther away from the lift. Personally I prefer Snowmass. The Snowmass Inn is my personal favorite. Though there're a couple others nearby that are similarly priced. On first glance, it may look pricy for a small hotel room. But keep in mind, you're within 100' of the slope! I don't have specific recommendation for Aspen town itself. Only to say there's a very efficient bus so you can stay away from the slope to save some money without miss any skiing. Aspen town has more food and apres options. Snowmass is pretty sleepy. You ski and rest. That's all.

But the skiing in Aspen is usually brilliant! Aspen has a good record for early season snow. And the terrain is varied. So in every snow condition, there's always some part that are good.

How to get to Aspen from Denver? You can hire a car and drive yourself there. Or you can take a mini-bus.

Lift pass. I don't know how next year's "mega passes" all shake out. But Aspen was on the Mountain Collective pass. If you buy the pass early enough, you get 3 days free for the first resort. Then 50% off all subsequent days. It may work out better than buying day tickets.

Quote:

I've not thought about the East Coast resorts.
Can a dream come true?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers @abc
Thanks for the lead, its helping me focus.
To me its only Denver that is "doable" from Orlando and I've never been to Colarado before.

The prices do look pretty ritzy .. but I could get a bed in a dormatory in Aspen.

@Dave of the Marmottes,
I have actualy booked my flights to Orlando and back now, so I'll make possibility is to fly home directly from Denver.

Cheers You all!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The prices do look pretty ritzy .. but I could get a bed in a dormatory in Aspen.

Aspen prices are typically backed up with quality products. Lodging, food, skiing... So it's worth hunting down an affordable combo. You'll very likely enjoy it more than what you anticipated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn wrote:
Cheers @abc
Thanks for the lead, its helping me focus.
To me its only Denver that is "doable" from Orlando and I've never been to Colarado before.

@Dave of the Marmottes,
I have actualy booked my flights to Orlando and back now, so I'll make possibility is to fly home directly from Denver.

Cheers You all!

It's not the USA and it's ba longer trip, but Calgary has direct flights from Orlando. Canadian costs are generally rather more budget-friendly, too. Lots of resorts to choose from if you fancy that option.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
Quote:

Aspen prices are typically backed up with quality products. Lodging, food, skiing... So it's worth hunting down an affordable combo. You'll very likely enjoy it more than what you anticipated.

x2. There are great food and apres options in Aspen and Snowmass. Once there, you don't need a car, and the local free bus system will get you where you want to go. They run on a frequent schedule too.

Snowmass for the blue intermediate cruiser paradise. Aspen and Aspen Highlands for the black diamond nirvana. And the drive through Glenwood Canyon is strikingly beautiful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Toadman wrote:

Snowmass for the blue intermediate cruiser paradise. Aspen and Aspen Highlands for the black diamond nirvana. And the drive through Glenwood Canyon is strikingly beautiful.

Snowmass is more known for intermediates. But if that’s what people think it’s only good for, that would be selling Snowmass short. There’re quite a bit of rather exciting terrain to challenge advanced skiers too. Even expert skiers will find enough entertaining terrain to for a day.

I would label Snowmass as a mountain that invites intermediate to expand their comfort zone. There’re quite some ungroomed terrain that blue cruisers can dip their toes (or ski tips) in, and go from there.

It’s only when compared with Highland that Snowmass is seen as an “intermediate” mountain. As Highland doesn’t have much easy intermediate terrain but loads of challenging expert terrain, some requiring a long hike.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can usually grab reasonably priced hotel/motel rooms in Glenwood from Priceline (there are a lot because it's a popular stop on I70 in the summer) and with a rental car have the daily transport to Aspen sorted. And it has Sunlight it's own smallish hill just outside town good for at least a day plus big hot springs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If considering Aspen, and have a rental, as Dave of the Marmottes, mentions, Glenwood Springs is a good choice to stay - rooms were about a third of Aspen prices when we were there last - 2019 - easy drive to the free park n ride, then shuttle buses.
Glenwood itself is pretty good too - you'll find restaurant prices more reasonable. Having stayed in Aspen a couple of times we didnt mind not staying in town. It is a great town though rather than your usual tourist resort and worth a look around if you get the chance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you've not been to Colorado sounds like a good solution, I've skied there a few times and have enjoyed each trip. Also should be some very good craft beers around if that is your thing.
snow conditions
Bones wrote:

Glenwood itself is pretty good too - you'll find restaurant prices more reasonable.

Nepalese curry house between Glenwood and Carbondale is best curry I've found in US (not necessarily a high bar but still...)
snow report
Since there seems to be some sentiment towards coercing OP to go to Aspen, I'll upvote
this place for lodging:

https://www.chaletlisl.com/

Awesome location in Aspen town, can walk to Aspen Mt lifts, bus to Snowmass, and Aspen town/mall.
Simple unfussy lodging, but amazing pricing for the location. Hot tub + free parking.

Glenwood Springs is ~30-45 minute drive and the two-lane road going into Aspen itself can get backed
up in the morning with all the resort workers driving in (who could never afford to live in Aspen itself).
You'd avoid that last bit going to Snowmass.

It's a 5 hour drive from Denver to Aspen with two passes to cross. Not to be taken lightly. Aspen has
an airport with regular jet flights from major US cities, but the approach is tricky and flights get cancelled
regularly in bad weather.
latest report
I haven't read all of these posts, so I may be "double-dipping" here, but ZRankings.com is a solid source of information for resorts in North America.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy