Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine currently

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, guys. I have the choice to return to France if I want right now and live in Morzine for a bit of this season. Do you think it's worth it, I mean it's dead, right? French lifts are closed, 6pm curfew. Are they even bashing and pistes for easy touring or is the snow all left where it falls?

Do people pop over to Morgins down the road, en Suisse?

If I make the trip I'm committing to being there for some time/difficulty coming to England afterwards, so it's not such a simply "OF COURSE, TRY IT!" answer Very Happy

Whaddyathink?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@iopjkl, I had understood that unless Morzine was your primary residence you were returning to (you would know if it was, you would be paying French taxes not British) you don't have a current valid reason to travel. And you would still need tests prior, and quarantine on arrival.

Those in France are clearly doing ski touring (you just need to look at webcams to see that) but how they treat over-the-border skiing I don't know. Not exactly worth it if you need to quarantine after each single visit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Legal stance is very different from moral stance , I suppose outcomes down to what you want to do for society
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know what you mean @Jonny996, we are all looking to see whether "essential property inspection" could some how be squeezed into the permitted tickboxes of the French attestation. Though I would want the lifts running ...

I am not sure we would be putting society at greater risk if we were careful in the way we are anyway, but that isn't quite the same as either legal or moral rectitude.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a few shops open in Morzine, no bars or restos, but the Ibex Micro Brewery is open at least.
No lifts either, BASS and Mint have been running beginner classes in the Col Du Corbier.
There was plenty of great snow if you were prepared to hike / skin up, but its been mild (and wet) for a few days, so that's not as good as it was. Maybe Avoraiz is still ok (not been up since mild weather), but below 1600, its not so great now.
If your property needs inspection, then inspect it, but unless you feel like walking round Morzine with a hole in your shoe, then I would stay where you are. (Unless that's somewhere really poo-poo like Slough or Dartford). There's tons of property management agencies who will inspect / look after your gaff for a few pieces of silver.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The use of personal Covid logic is strong here , we can all justify our own actions to ourselves, it is human nature - quite simply you shouldn't be going whether the snow is good/ restaurants are open/lifts are open or not.
We have paid someone to go and inspect our chalet for peace of mind- job done.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@iopjkl, do we assume that you are British? If so you would already need to be legally registered as resident in France in order to "live" there. Anything else is "tourism" which is banned under Covid restrictions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@iopjkl, lucky you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WindOfChange, off topic but Les gets has a beginner lift / carpet open too, and more importantly a bar.....Bellevue is operating almost as normal, all day service, with loud music and plenty of people standing around on the terrace for apres ski

Oh and a neighbour of mine is a BA pilot who is now stuck in UK. He went there for work last week, has all the residency docs, negative tests etc for France but is not allowed to land at Geneva.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polo, Is the carpet up the Chavannes or at the front de neige?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chavannes, been running for a few weeks, probably after seeing the Col one was open

No carpet at the bottom, just cordoned off areas, but seems to be more instruction going on there.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WindOfChange wrote:
unless you feel like walking round Morzine with a hole in your shoe

hah, is that some reference/metaphor I'm not familiar with?

Thanks for the info, though - sounds like it's dead and snow not great low down - low altitude, like you say.

polo wrote:
@WindOfChange, off topic but Les gets has a beginner lift / carpet open too, and more importantly a bar.....Bellevue is operating almost as normal, all day service, with loud music and plenty of people standing around on the terrace for apres ski

Not off topic at all! That's very interesting, thanks. Sounds like a ski school was wrangled something special for a few beginners?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plenty of beginners lessons, especially snowboarding have been running, but day1 stuff, no actual lifts. I suppose you could get the bus / drive up and practice on the Chavannes blue back down to town.

In fact there’s a whole new level of taxi service running, private cars that will pick up whenever, like Uber for the snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:
Plenty of beginners lessons, especially snowboarding have been running, but day1 stuff, no actual lifts. I suppose you could get the bus / drive up and practice on the Chavannes blue back down to town.

In fact there’s a whole new level of taxi service running, private cars that will pick up whenever, like Uber for the snow.

How interesting, why do they bother grooming pistes? Was it in case they could have opened lifts later on, having ungroomed pistes from the start would have been too hard to get into shape?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@iopjkl, yep lots of reasons....security, access tracks for maintenance, and once it was allowed for xmas they created even more tracks for cross country, snow-shoeing, ski touring. Same in other resorts I've been to....usually just one basher-wide track, leaving most of the piste ungroomed. Early in the season they definitely bashed the full width of the piste in certain popular areas, combined with artificial snow to secure the base.

It's been surreal, these single-track corduroy lanes have made it much easier to hike up. If you are early, it feels like you have your own basher breaking the trail, with 95% of the area still unpisted / tracked to enjoy the downhill.
snow report
That doesn't sound all that bad. So you're in Morzine currently, or locally?
snow report
Current conditions. Rock hard, frozen rain influenced slush in the morning, slush in the afternoon. Set to continue until Sunday; after that winter might return. Morzine is filling up with French tourists. Not many Brit tourists around as they seem to be largely following the rules. It's illegal to leave the UK without good reason isn't it?

@polo, yep, leaving is/was easy enough via GVA but last time I came back I had to use the train due to restrictions into Switzerland.
latest report
@iopjkl, off you go to morzine ................ sod the global issues. ...... please write about your adventures.
latest report
It's also illegal to enter France from outside the European space (EU and CH) without a valid reason. And once there you are not supposed to go skiing in Switzerland (or Spain) - I know some are doing it, doesn't make it right.
latest report
I'm in Morzine now and can report that outside in the town during the day time feels fairly alive and normal, all shops open. Masks everywhere, of course, but much more is open than the UK. You can even try on clothes if you want. The nursery slope in the centre is full of sledgers and beginners - ESF lessons take place with children, and some adult beginners are being privately taught. A few jumps, rails and boxes are set up for those inclined.

Bars and cafes offer take-aways or outdoor seating during the day.

I haven't been on it yet (going to try today), but there is a blue you can do by taking a pay-per-trip cable car (or drive up), but you have to give the impression that you're going up for hiking or rando. I haven't been over to Switzerland yet either, but it is something people do.

The tourist office is open - stripped bare of any leaflets or maps. A lot of barriers and warning tape guide the ~zero visitors through the one-way system to speak to a sheet of Perspex and be handed maps etc for the permitted activities. There is a sense of charade and theatre about the restrictions here, unlike in the UK where people are viscerally terrified and really very keen on it all. There are some animations and kids' things about the centre. One has the impression that if the boot was lifted tomorrow, the town would spring eagerly back into life. Not so at home where we lick that boot NehNeh, and demand it tread harder.

I think you'd be in a minority here if you think Planet Lockdown is the right path, again quite the opposite to the UK. It's disarming to walk along the pavement here and not have people leaping into oncoming traffic to avoid you.

The streets don't empty completely by 6; people sort of filter away but all empty by 7. Private parties take place in chalets here and there, sometimes very large.

Snow in Morzine itself is patchy; as much green (or brown) as white. I'm probably just comparing to VT and the like. It was raining yesterday, but only about 200m up the trees were turning white.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 11-02-21 11:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

It's also illegal to enter France from outside the European space (EU and CH) without a valid reason.

@patrick!, well, yes, technically, sort of ... a relative is taking her kids down to see Granny in the South of France next week. Geneva French Sector is closed but she spoke to the airport and they assured her it was fine to enter CH and fly from GVA to Nice ... technically it's an internal flight all the way despite departing from Switzerland ...

@iopjkl, interesting. Here in Chamonix the bars that are doing takeaway are very clear that you can't hang out on their terraces - and the police are enforcing that.
snow report
@iopjkl, interesting comparison to UK.....surprised about the last comment with meters of the stuff higher up - I would say it's an above average season so far, but maybe only above 1300-1400m. Have a look over in Les Gets, I haven't seen any green or brown areas at 1200m since Novemeber.....which is unusual, normally you'd see the bottom of south facing Mont Chery struggle at times, but not this year.
latest report
polo wrote:
@iopjkl, interesting comparison to UK.....surprised about the last comment with meters of the stuff higher up - I would say it's an above average season so far, but maybe only above 1300-1400m. Have a look over in Les Gets, I haven't seen any green or brown areas at 1200m since Novemeber.....which is unusual, normally you'd see the bottom of south facing Mont Chery struggle at times, but not this year.

You're right, to be honest I don't actually know what good snow is like in Morzine - never been here before. I am probably comparing it in my mind to much higher resorts that I'm used to, which isn't fair at all.
ski holidays
@iopjkl, you've not gone yet?
snow conditions
iopjkl wrote:
I'm in Morzine now.

Can you share where you travelled from, what documentation/Covid tests you had to have and what your experiences were crossing borders (if you had to?)

cheers!

Greg
snow report
On 3rd you wonder whether or not to go by 11th you are there and out and about? Shocked at your cavalier attitude towards others, not even bothering to self-isolate? I am sure loads of us on here would love to get to our places and change our four walls. I could 'work' from our place in the Grand Massif and the teens could do online lessons but we follow the rules and guidelines and consider others. But I see that you have only just started posting though so maybe you are just here to cause trouble?
latest report
It’s a wind-up as sounds all too descriptive.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
@iopjkl, you've not gone yet?

Yes we arrived this week.

kitenski wrote:
Can you share where you travelled from, what documentation/Covid tests you had to have and what your experiences were crossing borders (if you had to?)

cheers!

Greg

Official requirements can be found here: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/ and the various pages it links to.

Essentially, you need a negative covid test certificate (a .pdf on your phone is sufficient), and one of their acceptable reasons to travel.

Happy to discuss in more detail via PM - same goes for anyone else who's interested. I think a number of readers would rather the restrictions were even tighter than they are, so it might not be wise to discuss specific travel arrangements. Everything was above board, though. There was no stowing-away or clambering fences.

Cheesie168 wrote:
I am sure loads of us on here would love to get to our places and change our four walls. I could 'work' from our place in the Grand Massif and the teens could do online lessons

But do you have a pressing need to travel, sir? Holidays are not a legitimate reason, I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@iopjkl, tough crowd....sounds like you've done well, there are definitely people still coming into france and I'm glad it's a bit more relaxed here at the moment than many places in europe. My pilot friend is allowed to land in Paris so he'll get the train back worst case.

Even if we get a few dry weeks the current base above 1400m should last into april. Another 10cm due tomorrow night.
I stay up in Les Gets regularly so let me know if you want any intel on exploring that side.
snow conditions
polo wrote:
@iopjkl, tough crowd....sounds like you've done well, there are definitely people still coming into france and I'm glad it's a bit more relaxed here at the moment than many places in europe. My pilot friend is allowed to land in Paris so he'll get the train back worst case.

Even if we get a few dry weeks the current base above 1400m should last into april. Another 10cm due tomorrow night.
I stay up in Les Gets regularly so let me know if you want any intel on exploring that side.

Awesome, happy to receive any tips about Les Gets. I have never toured but will try it soon.

Yes, today I drove up to Avoriaz and I definitely must eat my words about the "lack of snow". Absolutely caked on the trees just a little way above Morzine and looking very solid overall up there, beautiful.
ski holidays
@iopjkl,

Quote:
Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you must stay at home. You must not travel, including abroad, unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so. It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Quote:
Official requirements can be found here: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/ and the various pages it links to.

Essentially, you need a negative covid test certificate (a .pdf on your phone is sufficient), and one of their acceptable reasons to travel.

Skullie

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-02-21 18:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@skimastaaah,
Quote:

Sounds like you are either ... etc.

Why so? Sounds like @iopjkl has followed the rules. And thus, no wee wee taking.
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, we don't know what country @iopjkl, started from.
ski holidays
@kitenski, iopjkl refers to the UK in a few of their posts, which make it sound as if the UK was the start of their journey ?

We await confirmation..... Puzzled
snow conditions
iopjkl wrote:
Hi, guys. I have the choice to return to France if I want right now and live in Morzine for a bit of this season. Do you think it's worth it, I mean it's dead, right? French lifts are closed, 6pm curfew. Are they even bashing and pistes for easy touring or is the snow all left where it falls?

Do people pop over to Morgins down the road, en Suisse?

If I make the trip I'm committing to being there for some time/difficulty coming to England afterwards, so it's not such a simply "OF COURSE, TRY IT!" answer Very Happy

Whaddyathink?

Am I naive, or is this original post by a new "snowhead" anything other than checking out how to ski in France by bypassing current multi-lateral government guidance? The "choice" to "return to France" if he "wants" needs to be defined, otherwise this is nothing but a wind-up! ..... ".. I'm off to France (circumnavigating current international guidance...) to go skiing in PDS (that includes the possibility of skiing in Switzerland if I can get away with it) ... and then coming to England... (probably ignoring the quarantine rules) just because I got a magic-pass to do so....."

More detail required. Little Angel
latest report
Had a thought, but it's possible to get the Prodains lift up to Avoriaz, if you then skinned up to the top of Chavanette, could you drop down in to Switzerland, use the lifts then get last lift up to Chavanette, and ski right back down to Prodains? (with a slight uphill skin in Avoriaz to get back up to the top of the prodains lift)

Obviously i'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't do that, with the current rules, but is that technically possible?
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
Had a thought, but it's possible to get the Prodains lift up to Avoriaz, if you then skinned up to the top of Chavanette, could you drop down in to Switzerland, use the lifts then get last lift up to Chavanette, and ski right back down to Prodains? (with a slight uphill skin in Avoriaz to get back up to the top of the prodains lift)

Obviously i'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't do that, with the current rules, but is that technically possible?

Don't see why not, interactive piste map currently showing Chavanette lift open along with all the Swiss ones.
snow report
DJL wrote:
Don't see why not, interactive piste map currently showing Chavanette lift open along with all the Swiss ones.

I did have a check off the app to see if it was possible. Not sure if there's barriers across the top to say no entry or something like that?

As someone that hasn't ski toured before, I would imagine it would take a couple of hours to walk up there. Is that a reasonable guess?

So you could be in Switzerland by lunch with an afternoon of lift assisted runs before heading back.

Wonder if anyone is actually bothering to do that or not.
snow report
@swskier, What's the current French regulations for leaving France, going to a non-EU country, then returning? Is there no quarantine regulations? No PCR code required within 72 hours of arrival? And are the French just letting anybody pop over the border into CH so as to access lift served skiing? Laughing

edit to add Swiss guidance ... https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home.html

and how Morzine resort is preparing Covid precautions ..... https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/good-deal/covid-19-how-morzine-is-preparing-for-your-winter-holiday-in-safety.html

and .... PDS website ... https://en.portesdusoleil.com/destination/the-strengths/for-a-serene-winter.html
"Will there be shuttles from French stations to take us to Switzerland?
To date, no shuttle is planned between France and Switzerland.
Will it be possible to reach Switzerland by French ski lifts?
The ski lifts of the French resorts are closed until further notice as well as the ski area.

If we cannot use the French ski lifts, is it nevertheless possible to descend from Switzerland to the French sector anyway?
The ski area on the French side will be closed and will not be accessible to skiers. We are awaiting information for use of the area by skitouring."

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 12-02-21 14:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I think you can ski in Switzerland and return without quarantine as long as you have a recent negative PCR test and don't come into contact with Covid sufferers in CH.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy