Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
@LaForet, I'm on your team!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LaForet, That sounds good to me. And hopefully the seriously curtailed apres will deter those that only come out to get p1ssed and make a nuisance of themselves.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Charliegolf wrote:
So. Anyway. Is next season in doubt? Very Happy

I think there's a little doubt - there has to be. The past 16+ months have shown us just how unpredictable life can be; and though we have vaccinations now, no one can guarantee it's all good news from now on.

But I am very optimistic overall. I think there's a very very good chance that ski holidays will be possible, without quarantine - but there might be some (manageable and tolerable) restrictions in place. I'm looking forward to a good winter snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a good prediction @LaForet Laughing

I'd be ok with all that!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, I was also aware of the pretty reasonable situation in Switzerland (lighter controls than most) as well as Sweden and Japan (lighter controls than virtually all). Why did they do differently?

I just want to be left alone. It's you mask weirdoes and furlough dolies that annoy me. I worked straight through until I went abroad when others were furloughed from one job and immediately picked up another so were on double time. I paid for that but received nothing. You insist on controlling others regardless of the consequences yet many of you are in pointless office jobs. Or are you seriously going to pretend you were all out working in hospitals and driving delivery vans?

I stopped wearing a mask the second I was away from the bottom as did many others. By the later part of the season and as soon as the weather warmed up for a brief, early spell even the lifties weren't bothering in many places. There's no wound just a realisation that Brits are cowardly and easily led, and that the mob will quickly turn on someone through fear and idiocy. I've not joined any pro- or anti-lockdown demonstrations nor have I abused and shouted at people not wearing masks which you seem to find acceptable when the mob agrees with you. Maybe like that BBC journalist you'll be on the wrong side one day and understand. I doubt it.

@LaForet, I'd rather him than the pro-mask bully and grass. At least he won't run to the liftie and tell tales.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@LaForet, Excellent - so driving and self-catering will be fine for me wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LaForet wrote:
The loud Brit Covid Denier will become the next télécabine boor. Otherwise, back to normal.

Hopefully, they will be stuck at home because they didn't have a vaccine certificate. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boobleblooble, because in Japan and Switzerland people generally follow rules. But I appreciate you only see things from your own blinkered perspective and hence why this type of reflection would be beyond you.

« I want to be left alone” “I worked straight through” “I paid for that but received nothing” “me, me, me, me, me”.

We almost lost the ski season in Switzerland after pictures of hundreds of non-distanced people in lift queues over the first couple of weekends. They sorted it out quickly and almost everyone played the game after that from lifties to volunteers, to visitors following the rules however tenuous some of them seemed. The minor inconvenience was nothing compared to the pleasure we got from a full season skiing.

And most of the Brits I know are anything but cowardly. I think you’ve spent too much time looking at the mirror.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, the sort of people who bang on about cowardice are the sort who end up saying "No one wants to be a coward over the top boys!" "Me - oh its my job to see how its going first"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boobleblooble wrote:
@BobinCH,@LaForet, I'd rather him than the pro-mask bully and grass. At least he won't run to the liftie and tell tales.

Are you determined to alienate every other SnowHead, even those who in part agree with you? I mean, I can understand the vicarious pleasure of trenchant trolling, and a deep distaste for millionaire politicians telling everyone else that 'we're in this together', but you should consider - there is a point where it becomes self-destructive. I don't think I've met anyone like you until now - someone who so clearly thrives on the distaste of others. Your abuse is a pollutant in the normally clear waters of the Forum. It seems a shame that someone who's obviously not unintelligent should pervert their discourse to such a sad end.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, as they did in the UK. Compliance was high throughout: it was forced, remember? I note you've left Sweden off your list but they were compliant without being forced. Extraordinary eh?

Ah: so you are a laptop w anker then. I thought so. I've met many like you who clapped like seals for the NHS, desperate to feel as though they were doing something useful. You demand compliance yet cannot explain how the policies even worked. You are like every neighbourhood busybody and every petty, officious little bureaucrat.

So the season was almost lost because of... C19? No, because of disobedience to regulations. Were there massive outbreaks of C19 in the resort? Did wearing masks outdoors help? It was political and you know it, which is why towards the end of the season everyone stopped giving a s hit.

@LaForet, I'm fine. Cheers anyway. I'm just astonished at the utter inability of virtually anyone on here to criticise lockdown rules. Apart from minor grumbling you've taken the largest and most expensive infringement of our basic rights in modern history and just accepted it. Even over Brexit there was some pushback and disagreement. Are you still all too shocked to think straight? Do you accept it because you feel there is nothing you can do to resist it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boobleblooble, I live in Switzerland. There is no NHS here you twerp.

There didn’t look like full voluntary UK compliance from the pictures of people crowding into parks/onto beaches etc from what we saw from here?

Verbier was a super-spreader location. Most of the people I know there had COVID at least once, some twice. As a result most countries closed ski resorts completely. The actions to close restaurants, bars, enforce mask wearing etc avoided a repeat. Wearing masks outdoors may have had little effect but it’s hardly a huge price to pay. If they’d let everyone decide themselves you don’t think it would have been party time again? Too many selfish pricks like you who always know best.

The only seal here is you wailing like one.

Laptop funny fellow? Petty little bureaucrat? When you’ve perfected your snow plough technique let’s go skiing and see who is the coward

Ps put your dummy back in and learn about Sweden
https://www.bbc.com/news/55949640
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boobleblooble,
Over here Voralberg strongly criticised the lockdown rules so they relaxed them in Voralberg, then the infection rates shot up. Voralberg went from the lowest to the highest infected region. (Orange line circled in red below)

In certain areas almost all the intensive care beds were used up, the Austrian government had to do something. I could have done more skiing last season but choose not to break the rules (friends have apartments in ski resorts) as I just didn't think it was right to put other people at risk. I didn't speak out against the Austrian government because I'm too timid or can't think for myself - I saw what was going on and decided the stupid people were the idiots breaking the rules and spreading COVID. If people had stuck to the rules maybe last ski season would have happened in more countries.
PS I don't believe you skied everyday, allday last season - people who work seasons don't get to ski as much as people think. On the small chance you did you were probably teaching kids how to do pizza turns.

So if you don't like the way the UK government are doing things (which I can tell you from experience isn't much different to how most European governments have been operating) why don't you get out? Move to Sweden if it's that f'kn good.

boobleblooble wrote:
Ah: so you are a laptop w anker then. I thought so.

No that will be you next season when the ones who had the balls to move country so they could ski many days such as BobinCH and I will be lapping it up while one season wonders like you will still be talking/typing big from behind the internet and insulting people.

Funny that when you needed help picking skis for your upcoming season last August you were really friendly but now your season is over you think most of us are tossers.

boobleblooble wrote:
@jimmer, ah yes no surer sign of an idiot than churning out the catchphrases: "covid-denier". Do you also refer to the NHS "being overwhelmed" and anything other than endless lockdowns as "letting the virus rip"? Don't forget: even though I think you and many others on here are tossers I'm arguing for you to be free to go skiing. I reckon that so many of are you desperate for the lockdowns and all the other hated controls that have wasted a season and a half of skiing to be worthwhile that you can't countenance the idea that it was all a waste. That's fair enough. But becoming wedded to an idea because it feels to late to go back is foolish and tacitly gives the government support to do it again. Have you even written to your MP? The local paper? Anything? If you've just sat and taken it then why would the government change their mind?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 16-06-21 9:16; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boobleblooble wrote:
@BobinCH, as they did in the UK. Compliance was high throughout: it was forced, remember? I note you've left Sweden off your list but they were compliant without being forced. Extraordinary eh?

No, they weren't. Yes, there are a large number of people in Sweden who took collective responsibility and followed the guidelines (it's part of the culture to do this) but also a large number didn't, and continue not to. Whilst it may have been less restrictive living in Sweden than the UK (for some of the past 18 months, not all), the data don't suggest that Sweden did better. Sweden is a very different country to the UK, and what works for one will not necessarily work for the other.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mgrolf, @BobinCH, @DB, @LaForet, but will reason and science trump @boobleblooble,'s personal incredulity?
snow report
adithorp wrote:
… but will reason and science trump …
Which reminded me of this headline from Vice-President Mike Pence published one year ago today.

Since then nearly half a million Americans died from the Covid pandemic. When you ignore science, and buy in fully to anti-science propaganda…
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
@mgrolf, @BobinCH, @DB, @LaForet, but will reason and science trump @boobleblooble,'s personal incredulity?

Very strange. Piqued by @DB‘s comment above I looked at his first posts.

Seems he’s started deleting them. What a courageous chap Very Happy

And surprise, surprise, after his accusations, his 2nd post on Snowheads was playing forum police…
latest report
Considering deaths with Covid across the whole of the UK have remained under 50 per day since 01 May and we're still under lockdown measures, any normal seasonal rise that may get counted in the Covid figures could see us getting stricter measures come winter.

A knee jerk reaction from the Government, with the emphasis very firmly on jerk.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Considering deaths with Covid across the whole of the UK have remained under 50 per day since 01 May and we're still under lockdown measures, any normal seasonal rise that may get counted in the Covid figures could see us getting stricter measures come winter.

A knee jerk reaction from the Government, with the emphasis very firmly on jerk.

That was a similar reasoning that Vorarlberg used so the Austrian government relaxed the lockdown in that region. Look back at my previous posts to see how that turned out i.e. how COVID then exploded in that region.
latest report
DB wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

That was a similar reasoning that Vorarlberg used so the Austrian government relaxed the lockdown in that region. Look back at my previous posts to see how that turned out i.e. how COVID then exploded in that region.

It was an experiment though, and one that topped out at 250/100k cases without implementing any further restrictions. Interestingly, further opening steps recently have not resulted in the same rise.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

But we seem to have moved on from cases = deaths but the reaction to it hasn't
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
It was an experiment though, and one that topped out at 250/100k cases without implementing any further restrictions. Interestingly, further opening steps recently have not resulted in the same rise.

It was still an increase of around 500% and it wasn't the first time the lockdown was relaxed and the figures went up dramatically. I was hopeful that the figures wouldn't rise in Vorarlberg and everywhere in Austria would then open up.
Now that a significant number of people have been vaccinated the risk should be lower if (a very big if) the vaccines work against the new COVID mutations, otherwise we could be back to where we were last Autumn and yet another ski season is in the bin.
latest report
This time last year I was becoming progressively more pessimistic for 20/21. I'm currently getting slowly more optimistic for next season.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
This time last year I was becoming progressively more pessimistic for 20/21. I'm currently getting slowly more optimistic for next season.

I have days like that. I'm increasingly optimistic that skiing will be enjoyed across Europe and N America next winter. The but is I'm still fairly pessimistic that our govt might cock stuff up again to make us persona non grata (especially now we've lost those useful EU rights) and a winter holiday lockdown will be less politically damaging.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

The but is I'm still fairly pessimistic that our govt might cock stuff up again to make us persona non grata (especially now we've lost those useful EU rights) and a winter holiday lockdown will be less politically damaging.

Already happened if you were planning an Italian visit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57531054
snow conditions
Autumn / Winter Lockdown in the UK already being planned for and discussed in Parliament.

A European trip is not viable for me until there are no quarantine restrictions on both arrival and return.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Autumn / Winter Lockdown in the UK already being planned for and discussed in Parliament.

A European trip is not viable for me until there are no quarantine restrictions on both arrival and return.

Time to move non?
latest report
I thought the whole point of extending the restrictions was to avoid re-imposing them once they are lifted? I’m sure Europe will be fully open for business this Winter. I mean Switzerland stayed open right through the pandemic with no flare ups coming from ski resorts (AFAIK).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Time to move non?

Can't get in to Japan yet Sad
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I am looking forward to more powder days in the mega resort of Les Marécottes.

I mean, who needs chairlifts when one chairlift will do nicely?
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Time to move non?

Swap Wales for Switzerland? Higher mountains, less rain?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, I am looking forward to more powder days in the mega resort of Les Marécottes.

I mean, who needs chairlifts when one chairlift will do nicely?

Does it get busy on powder weekends? Must try it this season. Need to find someone who knows how to get into those couloirs on the J. Heitz IG feed
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CIqdwCpJ9dn/?utm_medium=copy_link
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Time to move non?

Swap Wales for Switzerland? Higher mountains, less rain?

Would love to but my work is in Japan and my missus' work is in Wales
ski holidays
Aspects that I find concerning.
UK is not in EU, so travel is no longer automatically possible.
Italy will now be requiring fully vaccinated UK visitors to quarantine for 5 days starting on Monday 21 June. Effectively killing any 1 week holidays.
The EU travel industry is so fed up with UK vacillating while vaccinating on overseas travel that their hotel organisations are not taking UK summer bookings and handing the accommodation space to other EU countries.
Last winter Ski Miquel, UK company, with an empty chalet in Lauterbrunnen started taking Polish groups. As did a number of empty hotels in Lauterbrunnen. The hotels apparently had to give really good group deals, but better some cash flow rather than no flow when UK cancels. This could easily be repeated.
I fear, that given the commercial losses over the last couple of winters, and with real or perceived UK unreliability, EU companies may well re direct their capacity to the EU nations.
And there will be reduced capacity for UK companies.
In the interest of having accommodation available in future years, we are almost beholden to go and use it and accept the testing and quarantine issues.
As they say "Use it or Lose it".
ski holidays
@colinstone, I've booked direct with a couple of hotels in Austria for next season at what seemed like quite reasonable rates. Both places seemed very grateful for the bookings. I think you're right; if they can get bums on seats they'll take it now rather than hang on in the vague hope that the wonderful Brits come en-masse.
snow report
@colinstone, Nobody is beholden to do anything.

Outside of the usual Brexit / Passport queue etc, travel next season will be fully dependent on individuals Covid and Vaccination status (and that means within the EU area too). If Holland (for example) has a massive spike of some unknown variant, you will soon see the rest of the EU closing travel off to them for a period or putting quarantines in place.

Accommodation providers will use whoever they can to fill their places - UK / EU, it doesnt matter to them.

We have already booked Tignes for next March - I have no concerns about it as all of our group have already had 2 jags, and no doubt will have boosters by then too.
snow conditions
@GreenDay, Nobody is beholden to do anything.

I didn't say anyone was - I wrote "almost".

And judging by this summer hotelier patterns, "Use it or Lose it" is becoming true.

I have no personal concerns either - I went Dec - March to CH this year without vaccinations.
ski holidays
Quote:
We have already booked Tignes for next March - I have no concerns about it as all of our group have already had 2 jags...
What's John Prescott got to do with it?? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
We have already booked Tignes for next March - I have no concerns about it as all of our group have already had 2 jags...
What's John Prescott got to do with it?? Toofy Grin

If hes there, I am cancelling............ Very Happy
ski holidays
Switzerland was ok crossing the border from France yesterday and nice to be in almost normality. Next stop Italy... Still trying to understand the requirements
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy