Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well closed lifts didn't stop the hordes coming

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jonny996 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55529870
Looks like no one in scotland was paying any attention to the guidelines

What guidelines do you think are being broken here given that its locals only and its outdoors?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ropetow, Well, for a start I can only see one gap in that lift queue bigger than 1m
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

It's funny to see those new to walking round here though, never seen/heard so many looking at phones the whole time or with music blaring out.

The reason people are looking at their mobile phones is that that is where their maps are stored. I have given up using, as opposed to carrying, a paper map on the hill these days and use ViewRanger on my mobile phone along with OS or IGN maps (or Kompass for Italy). I've even been known to consult my phone walking up to the Roaches consulting the Rockfax guide application. As an aside of I have discontinued using that application, prefer instead to use the definative guidebook.

As for music blaring out when walking in France during the summer I'd often come across groups of French school children marching along singing. Perhaps singing is the wrong word, chanting would be better.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@ropetow, Well, for a start I can only see one gap in that lift queue bigger than 1m

being pedantic - the length of the ski sets the distance so if the ski is 1.6m long and theres a metre between the skis then you have your distancing - plus its outside with a windspeed of 5mph. Folks standing side by side - i'm assuming are part of a bubble. I agree that it could have been managed better though - but the point was about whether the law was being broken or whether 'guidelines' were not being adhered to.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ropetow, i am not going to argue with you, i am sick to the back teeth of the constant challenges on this forum but if you believe that they are all locals then that is your belief, I personally don't think they will all be locals.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Sorry your town is Mam Tor? I thought it was a peak. rolling eyes

Not sure what your point is Dave really.

The reason for the latest spike is because a large section of the population have ignored the rules and carried on regardless. Kids are now off school, operations being cancelled and so on, if people had just stayed at home and not flocked en-mass to the shops and to places like Mam Tor maybe my lad would be back at school and a few more people alive.

I don't really agree with the lockdown to be honest but nothing else seems to get through. I'm not sure if it's simply stupidity, self entitlement or a mixture of both.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@russ_e, my only point is that visitors on Mam Tor are not directly affecting the case rate in your town unless you and your fellow residents are daft enough be be up there shoulder to shoulder with them at the time (and with local knowledge you could presumably avoid peak times). I think it's lazy and harmful thinking to think that it is travel alone (and particualrly travel to outdoor locations) that is spreading the virus. The virus is already present in every community an extra hillwalker doesn't make much difference.

And yes a bit of it is I don't like the attitude from places which have a visitor enabled economy that visitors should all f off. Public countryside belongs to us all. There would be an outcry if people from rural areas were prevented from accessing city hospitals when required for instance on grounds of "locals only".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there was a lot lot more spreading of coronavirus from kids being back at school than from people walking around in the open countryside Smile.

See also entitled pricks (incl premiership footballers) ignoring all advice/rules and throwing parties.

Whilst people shouldn't be driving for miles to go for a walk, that hasn't been a major factor in the recent spike in transmission.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love the fact that Celtic football club have jetted off to Dubai for some winter training. I mean WTF, technically they aren't breaking any rules but where is the "we are all in this together" spirit in that.
Something very wrong that this is allowed while we are being told not to leave your house
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonny996, Probably re-grouping and trying to understand how they've lost the plot and trying to inject some Bhoys spirit back into them.....the Gers properly giving them a lesson this season it seems.

I personally think that all elite sport in UK should be put on hold until end January and reviewed then. Whilst that's going on all seems rosy in the garden to many....I know it could affect the Euro's and also the finish of the Prem/ SPL season etc would likely be delayed but it's hardly sensible to have sport going on in the middle of a pandemic imv.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29,
Quote:

I personally think that all elite sport in UK should be put on hold until end January and reviewed then. Whilst that's going on all seems rosy in the garden to many....I know it could affect the Euro's and also the finish of the Prem/ SPL season etc would likely be delayed but it's hardly sensible to have sport going on in the middle of a pandemic imv.

I couldn't give a monkey's if all professional sport was banned forevermore. However, I don't think it poses a significant risk to the rest of the community and I do appreciate the argument that watching a bunch of chavs chase a ball around for 90 minutes does, inexplicably, give a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. I might be tempted to introduce a rule that says for every player testing positive in your squad, management and support staff you have x points deducted from the team.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd prefer to keep the footy and rugby going as it at least is a distraction entertainment wise and makes things feel a bit more "normal". It was an exercise in pathos reading sports pages during lockdown 1 when there was nothing to report on and endless GOAT lists etc. That plus it's not exactly the golden age of TV anymore with production delays due to Covid- BBC's big new season primetime drama launch last night was some filler bought in from the Alibi channel (no me neither - presumably majors on Pizza Express documentaries).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
'The hordes'? Really? The mounted armies of Ghengis Kahn trampling all before them as they sweep across the vast plains, yes, I might call them 'hordes'. Enormous clouds of African locusts devastating everything in their path, yes, I can see them as 'hordes'. Lines of red army ants miles long ruthlessly killing everything in their path, certainly, they are 'hordes'. But some locals driving to a nearby resort? 'More people than I'd expected' is more like it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LaForet wrote:
'The hordes'? Really? The mounted armies of Grenoble trampling all before them as they sweep across the vast plains, yes, I might call them 'hordes'. Enormous clouds of Parisien locusts devastating everything in their path, yes, I can see them as 'hordes'. Lines of Marseillan ants miles long ruthlessly killing everything in their path, certainly, they are 'hordes'. But some locals driving to a nearby resort? 'More people than I'd expected' is more like it.

FIFY
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy