Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
The information on the ICAD website would indicate that once registered in the database, the vet can transfer over vaccination data to issue a French passport, cross referencing the UK one.

https://www.i-cad.fr/articles/brexit-delivrer-passeport-francais-chien-chat-furet-titulaire-passeport-royaume-uni
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just been through Pet Reception at Calais. As our vet said - people getting refused as their rabies jab was dated before the issue date of the new pet passport. We had to show our old pet passport too, I think to show that we had previously had a rabies jab and the 21 days for it to become effective.

So….get a new rabies jab when you get your new EU pet passport

And….travel with all docs old and new until you’re sure everything is working.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Matt1959, I am confused. We bought our pup in UK prior to Brexit and bought him back to Ireland prior to Brexit with a UK pet passport, rabies jabs all done etc. We then prior to Brexit got our Irish vet to issue him with an Irish pet passport. Our Irish vet entered all details from UK passport into Irish one, but states we can travel with both passports and no need to have another Rabies jab, till booster is due. Are you as above saying Calais will refuse us.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timbobaggins, Hi Timbo. All I can tell you is that our French vet said that they had clients report that they had problems with a PP that had a rabies jab date earlier than the PP start date, and we saw a woman having exactly that issue in Calais yesterday.

We had to show our old PP to confirm that a previous rabies jab was carried out more than 21 days ago.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We now have our French dog passport! No mention of ICAD or registration. Yes @Matt1959, I expect we need to show the U.K. passport to prove it is a booster rabies jab.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Nell, in case it is of any use to others, where did you get your passport issued?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is madness, so we have a system where the rabies status has to be certified by a vet but a random ferry employee decides they don’t believe what’s written? Nearly EVERY passport would be issued after the date of rabies vaccination (jab, wait 3w, issue passport ), let alone replacing lost passports, new one when worming section full etc. If the vet has certified the “valid from” and “valid to” dates then the port official has no basis to contest that rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sno trax, I used the vet in Lezay, Poitou Charentes. They used Nobivac but insisted in France it only has a 1 year validity. I would have thought its the manufacturer who stipulates the dates. I even showed them the 3 years for Nobivac on my U.K. pet passport but they wouldn’t budge. Anyone else got theirs for 3 years in France?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rabisin - 3 yrs.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had ours jabbed in France only last week and 99% sure it's three years, I'll check to be sure.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gilo, it's just crazy. I don't know what to believe any more. Having been unable to get an answer from our Durham vet, and then discovering the only OV in the practice is absent in the first two weeks of September when we need the AHC issued, I've arranged the AHC for our two with Abbeywell in Folkestone, and we will pick it up on the way to Eurotunnel. All done by email and phone, and we go in and sign for it before travelling. I also no longer know if I can get the French passports as some vets seems to be issuing them without ICad registration and others are reporting vets being fined for issuing to people without a resident's card and the passports being made invalid. Someone else told me I don't need a vet to do the registration, that I can do it myself from here, but I can't fathom out the huge form she forwarded to me. I am now just so confused. Briancon and Bourg D'Oisans vets have not answered my emails, and my French is so rusty I don't seem to be able to make myself understood on the phone.

fecking Brexit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gilo, @Hells Bells, it's all a bit of a minefield (Wild West), and as for @Nell, not having to do the I-Cad that is really chancing it, though as I've already said it should not affect you travelling as when the pets are scanned it's not accessing the I-Cad system, and really it's only if you declare yourself as a resident.

Obviously, different vets in France are adhering to different policies, it's just that EuroTunnel are quite diligent in following the rules as we've all unfortunately witnessed with distressed travellers not having the right documentation etc

And yes, dogs jabs were for three years.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, we'll have both the AHC and a UK passport with valid rabies when we return to the UK after our trip, so can use those if there's an issue with a French one. I guess these people mentioned above had only a French passport? Which surely must have been issued after the dogs were chipped and then vaccinated, as you can't issue a passport without a valid rabies jab.
I could get a dog vaccinated today, and then not request a passport until next June.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived at Eurotunnel pet passport reception in our U.K. registered car and handed over new French one to friendly lady, saying it had the worming treatment and rabies booster. Then handed U.K. one saying it had the original rabies record. No problem and she then said after 21 days we were fine with the French one but suggested keeping the original U.K. one. When we go next year I can just check the vet will do a 3 year booster or go elsewhere. Cost btw was about €80 for consultation and worm treatment (usually about €35 for that) rabies booster and passport (€45).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nell thanks for the update.
Sadly, more reports tonight on the AHC facebook group that vets have been told not to issue French passports to pets of UK residents unless they can prove they have been in France for over 90 days, using the date on the AHC to confirm when the dog left the UK. I just wish the vet our dogs are registered with would answer emails..
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Thanks for that. To give some extra detail to ours - I used the same vet that did a tapeworm tablet to go to the UK last summer so we were already on their database with a local address so hopefully the same for you at Briancon. I telephoned to book the appointment for the rabies injection, passport and tapeworm treatment in my dodgy French, as a rural practice they don’t generally speak English there. When I went there I only gave them the UK passport, not the AHC, although they didn’t even need that as they were giving a rabies jab so starting from scratch. Maybe a sudden influx of UK requests at some practices has raised the question at a higher level? Hopefully others can give some feedback for any appointments next week. I suppose the best thing to do is phone the vet and make an appointment for when you arrive and see what happens when you get there.

I don’t think this link to a newsletter has been shared here. I will keep an eye open for any updates, the reporter contacted various officials to clarify the matter.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/Could-French-pet-passports-save-fees-for-regular-travel-with-pets-over-the-new-UK-animal-health-certificates-AHCs
snow report
@Weathercam, No sticker on your Nobivac, so I assume it’s copied from a UK passport with its original expiry date. I am hoping they have treated ours as the initial rather than booster injection, so can hopefully get the 3 year booster next year or ask for Versiguard when I book!
snow conditions
@Nell, TBH, I am not sure if I am on their database with our French address or not, as they have probably copied it from the UK pet passports.
I know they did issue one for a friend a couple of weeks ago, but the timescale was tight to get it in time for their trip home.
ski holidays
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/593806

Suggest we all sign and share this government petition to get the numbers up so they have to respond, or better still, debate in parliament if it gets to 100k signatures.
snow report
I'm not convinced that HMG will be able to persuade the EU to co-operate. Saying that, I have signed. My local MP is on the case already.
latest report
@Nemisis, Agreed - there is little benefit for the EU in this. The UK Govt will have to trade something, unless there is an angle for the Irish border that is of interest to the EU.
snow conditions
Thanks @Nemisis. @Matt1959, It's more a case of Whitehall agreeing to tow the line for what the EU want in order for reciprocity on their EU pet passports. We have to give up some sovreignty to agree to match their rules and regulations in the future. Not enough time in Brexit negotiations to get agreement to listed 1 status but at least we got listed 2 rather than unlisted. The fact that green cards (that were free anyway lol) are no longer required shows that some negotiations are happening, pity the pet passport that the UK created wasn't done first ...... The more we can keep up the pressure, the sooner there might be some movement.
snow report
Here's an unpdate from Connexion France re second home owners. French agriculture ministry clearly says yes but in practice some may be rejected by French vets insiting on the I-CAD registration and 90 day rule. What is doesn't say is whether those who already have the passport are now in the clear.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/How-to-get-a-French-EU-pet-passport-as-a-British-second-home-owner

It is also definitely worth a look on the Animal Health Certificate Facebook page as mentioned by @Hells Bells, that has lots of personal feedback with both successful (even last week!) and not. In one of the threads there is a mention from someone who knows via an employee that it is currently being looked at by Whitehall. Plus info on getting one in Italy which is a more comlpicated process via the Azienda Sanitaria Local (ASL).
There is also this link from the I-CAD website in France.
https://www.i-cad.fr/articles/brexit-delivrer-passeport-francais-chien-chat-furet-titulaire-passeport-royaume-uni

Interestingly the I-CAD note specifically singles out those with UK passports wanting French ones, not just a blanket declaration for 3rd countries eg US citizens (who have been doing it for years to facilitate longer trips around the EU).
I think the reason for our 1 year rabies entry in the French passport is they have not transferred our UK rabies entry (which expires in the spring anyway) but started afresh with a 1 year jab and then the booster can be 3 years. The old UK passport was then needed at Calais as proof there was a valid rabies jab in force.

Here is the Eurotunnel information. Note the info regarding the date of reading/implantation of the mcicrochip must be the same or before the rabies jab.
https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/travelling-with-your-pet/checklist/
snow report
Nell wrote:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/593806

Suggest we all sign and share this government petition to get the numbers up so they have to respond, or better still, debate in parliament if it gets to 100k signatures.

Have signed - Im sure a signed another one a few months ago...

The vet we use in France is now saying the existing chip has to be registered in the French system and that can take up to 3 or 4 months rolling eyes and he is unable to do anymore until its registered ...
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, that's rubbish, as we have lots of examples of this being done within 10 days.
snow conditions
Safely on Eurotunnel with all checks complete. AHC from Abbeywell vets at Folkestone. Quick 5 minutes to collect and check passports and microchips were genuine.
snow report
And dogs are now French.
latest report
@Hells Bells, did you have to do the I-Cad docs and payment?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
And dogs are now French.

Vive les chiens!! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@Hells Bells, did you have to do the I-Cad docs and payment?

Yes we did.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Great to hear that, now you can relax and enjoy your holiday! I see there have been reports on AHC facebook page re more successes, both with and without I-CAD.

On a similar note, maybe we should all have a look at this new petition ref our passorts and ham sandwiche imports ..... (rejoin single market and customs union)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/596930
snow report
@Nell, definitely more relaxed now. I can't help feeling though that her time would be better spent looking after sick animals instead of completing loads of un-necessary forms. At least I no longer have to burden our UK vet each time we travel. Just need to remember to book in for rabies vax in France not UK.
latest report
Our recent experience, on way out went to our U.K. vet a week before travel & he issued us the U.K. AHC , after brief discussion he advised us to try and get a French pet passport and as his rabies jab was due to get it done in France, all in great service and unbiased advice. That cost us £90.
Went to French vet we use for the worming this morning, only being out for 6 days we thought we would not have time to sort out passport but no problem.
They issued a French passport, gave dog his rabies top up jab & done the worming, all for 125 euro, more great service.
So hopefully that’s us sorted
ski holidays
@Jonny996, excellent news.
I was in our UK vets last week picking up some meds for our dog and the reception staff were talking to a client on the phone to advise them they were not doing AHCs and to find somewhere else, but could not recommend anywhere locally. Pleased ours are sorted. We'll arrange the next lot of rabies jabs for both of them when we're over in March (hopefully).
snow conditions
@Jonny996, this is interesting, so are we now saying that they will do it on the spot rather than having to wait two weeks whilst the chip is registered on French system ?
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, I think it really depends on the vet. There doesn't seem to be any consistency.

@Jonny996, Where was your French vet? It might help others looking to get this done.
snow report
@ajc2260626, My vet did it there and then, and gave me the chip registration paperwork to post myself!
snow conditions
@Philip1972, ta was it just a case of sticking it in the post or was it a complicated form?
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, They filled them all in, but you have to post it along with a cheque. You cant pay via bank transfer or card either!

I had to order a cheque book just for this.
latest report
@sno trax, the vet we use is in La Fayet nice big new clean practice
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy