Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from our French Vet. He says the two requirements are 1) French address, and 2) get the microchip registered in France. No 2 involves posting a form and a wait of around 2 weeks. Will let you know if we are successful!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Matt1959, like I said before it's quite a long meeting/process to get the French passports, and would help if you know the vet well as maybe they are bending the rules a little to accommodate non French residents.

And you have to fill in various forms for the microchip switch and send a cheque, all a tad ironic in bending the rules n'est pas ? Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, yet others have visited different vets and got the passports very quickly for a very reasonable fee. Apparently the vet in Bourg D'Oisans is very clued up on it all according to a friend over that side of the Col.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, so how many Snow Heads have actually done this, what sort of numbers are we talking about elsewhere, were they residents or not?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, Debit card for us! Mind you, the young assistant Vet was having to show the boss how he could use the scanner to scan the AHC and attach it to something in the system.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Like I say I do think it all mildly ironic given the shite I was given on here for traveling to France on the basis of having potential French residency, or not, and how now it seems ok to try and bend the rules to achieve Euro residency for their pets Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our pooch has been flipped to French passport. €51 euros for the appointment and then the worming fee to come back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
@Hells Bells, so how many Snow Heads have actually done this, what sort of numbers are we talking about elsewhere, were they residents or not?

Some second home owners and non-French
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, not all my friends are snowHeads.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might try this if we ever get back over with the dog
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, so are they official French residents (Carte sejour) or just second home owners, if not French Residents it's bending the rules in it ? Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got our 2 dogs French passports at the local vets, but there is nothing in the rabies section? Seems to think as they are in trhe UK one, that will be fine for when we come back.....hmmmmm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Philip1972, I'd double check that if possible as the passports for our two have all the rabies data transcribed across, I'll post a pic later.

And was thinking that if you have a Euro passport will all future jabs have to be non UK administered.

And I'm just back from our vets who rang me up explaining (or at least trying to as I could not understand), even though I gave the phone to a friend who said they needed the paperwork/passport by end of play today. So rushed down only to be told it was another Brit who had a problem with theirs, why the feck they couldn't call me back Puzzled

@Philip1972, your surname isn't Pickles and you don't have a dog called Oscar ? Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No I am not a Pickles, but I do often find myself in them Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For a stay of more than 3 months under a visa it is a legal requirement to get a French (EU) document for your dog, according to their DEFRA equivalent

https://www.i-cad.fr/articles/brexit-delivrer-passeport-francais-chien-chat-furet-titulaire-passeport-royaume-uni

https://www.i-cad.fr/articles/importation-animal-france-pays-tiers-demarches

My French vet told me in January he would be able to issue a passport for my dog in August when we usually go for a month, but once done it can only be updated with new vaccinations in France. If you let the vaccine lapse the titre test would need re doing. He didn't ask if I was resident, but knows I have a French address.

I also phoned the Pet Travel helpline to check there wouldn't be any problem from our Government's view if my dog travels on an EU passport and she said most people that travel often have EU passports for their dogs, it is no problem. I haven't yet contacted the French, but it is the ferry company that checks documents, so plan to just ask them when I go out in August with my AHC to make sure I wouldn't have trouble in December, ie. Uk residents on a visa for 4 months with a French passport dog.
ski holidays
Ju st being reading the back end of the thread, does this mean that if you are a 2nd home owner in France yiu can get a French pet passport rather than use the ahic?
ski holidays
Just back from the vets where pup was getting some more jabs and I asked her about French passports and residency and she said that as far as she knows there's no need to have French residency and how in fact it's much easier than before end of December to do the passports!

She also said dogs could get rabies jab in UK and that vet could enter details in the French passports sans issue.

@ajc2260626 obviously you're going to have to get an AHC to get to France but once here you can then get the passport.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, good news then. At least once we manage to get to France we will be able to get the passport issued.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, well you wouldn't Adam and Eve it!!!!

Get back home and OH checks the post, not something we do every day, and there's a letter from I-Cad dated 15th July giving us 48hrs to respond as on our application (which the French vet did) there's a missing health certificate for one of the dogs!!

So rush back to the vet and this time of year on a Friday holiday traffic is a PITA and I've had to leave everything at the vets as the two receptionists couldn't work it out, so awaiting the vet to call me.

So it's all by no means devoid of issues, and I'd say you'd probably need more than a couple of weeks to make sure all is well?

Maybe two dogs swapping over just makes it more compliqué Puzzled

Further Edit vets rang and they've emailed to I-Cad the missing paperwork and there's no need to worry, still means I have to go back down tomorrow to get all the passports back!
latest report
@Weathercam, @Hells Bells, We've been told differently about the rabies vaccination-that it will need to be done in France. However, I think there is still a high degree of confusion and uncertainty. Our UK vets phoned us while we were away saying that they had been informed that the way they had stamped AHCs was wrong and that we might have difficulties. However as we were already going down the pet passport route we didn't need to worry too much.
A mate in the 3V who got their pooch a pet passport at a vet in Moutiers, was told at Eurotunnel Pet Check In that it was wrong and he had to take the dog to a vet in Calais to sort it before he could come home!
snow conditions
@Perty, yes I'm not relying on follow up rabies jabs in the UK, ours run out in Nov so we'll get them done here in France just before we come back when we get them checked out for retour anyway.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@Philip1972, I'd double check that if possible as the passports for our two have all the rabies data transcribed across, I'll post a pic later.

And was thinking that if you have a Euro passport will all future jabs have to be non UK administered.

And I'm just back from our vets who rang me up explaining (or at least trying to as I could not understand), even though I gave the phone to a friend who said they needed the paperwork/passport by end of play today. So rushed down only to be told it was another Brit who had a problem with theirs, why the feck they couldn't call me back Puzzled

@Philip1972, your surname isn't Pickles and you don't have a dog called Oscar ? Laughing

I was concerned about this so I popped back to the vets this morning. I explained to him, he shrugged and said "it is not necessary, but i can do it", so he did. I am much happier now Very Happy
snow report
@Perty, the next jab will have to be done in France, but the current one is OK if it was done before the 31st Dec 2020.
snow conditions
@Perty, @Weathercam, @Hells Bells, there is a LOT of confusion (on both sides of the channel it seems) but be VERY clear, UK vets cannot fill in an EU passport to certify rabies vaccination. If you get an EU passport (sensible), it will need to be kept valid by doing rabies vaccines in the EU. A Pre-brexit EU passport filled in by a UK vet pre brexit is fine, a uk pet passport is scrap paper (except if an EU vet will transcribe it into an EU passport for you)
ski holidays
@gilo, does this mean if I take my old pet passport to an eu vet, they will make an eu one?!?! But all rabies shots need to be done in the the eu rather than the uk?
snow report
@gilo, I know they can't, I'm not sure why anyone is actually thinking that I said that?
snow conditions
@gilo, I've just noticed properly what @Weathercam said. If you have a rabies jab in the UK after 31.12.20 you need an AHC. My question now is, if you have done this (and it doesn't apply to my dogs) and go to France with an AHC, can the French vet enter that vaccination on the new EU passport?
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, they may…… the “rules” for getting an EU passport seem pretty nebulous and applied very differently by different vets. But yes, the old uk passport should be good proof if they’re minded to accept it. Or they may insist on vaccination again and a restart

Re the 2nd part of your question, yes, all rabies vaccination will need to be done and certified in the EU. This might be every 3 years in some places but could be annually in eg Spain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, apologies, was just including you in the conversation, not attributing any statements to you.

I don’t know the legalities but EU vets certainly can and do transcribe AHCs to EU passports. Having an old UK passport is probably even smoother but essentially they contain the same information so if a french vet is minded to be helpful then either should suffice. The massive unknown is if or when french or EU bureaucracy will tighten the rules, issue fresh guidance or close this glaring loophole…….. The aggro over the NI protocols probably won’t help.
snow report
@gilo, my apologies too. Bit stressed after major emergency with one of our dogs.
ski holidays
While the rules may be nebulous there are a number of real world situations where someone who is not resident - or even has a second home - in the EU can end up with an EU Pet Passport. If you import a dog into the UK from the EU they come with a passport…..
ski holidays
Matt1959 wrote:
.... If you import a dog into the UK from the EU they come with a passport…..

And that then raises the question can a UK vet then do the rabies jabs and enter those into the EU passport, or do you have to go back to an EU country as per what @gilo, stated Puzzled

Went back to the vets yesterday to get the passports after the mistakes I mentioned, that was 5 X in four days, imagine that on your two-week break!
ski holidays
Matt1959 wrote:
While the rules may be nebulous there are a number of real world situations where someone who is not resident - or even has a second home - in the EU can end up with an EU Pet Passport. If you import a dog into the UK from the EU they come with a passport…..

good point, well made.
latest report
@Matt1959, that’s a whole new can of worm…….. Technically they should never have come with a passport, even pre brexit but certainly not post. Of course they have been, and spectacularly abused by “rescues” (read puppy farmers conning gullible brits to part with hard cash for Eastern European sob stories). I’d expect it will get tightened up, especially if the EU stick with AHC requirements for long.

@Weathercam, the same will apply, a UK vet CANNOT make any entry in an EU passport (except to certify tapeworm treatment for the very few countries that demand it prior to entry)
snow report
Useful service for anyone near the South Coast or travelling on a Portsmouth ferry. https://www.passpets.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3X_Ima9IsDpxCxbBRf38KPk9_jDzrMWxcv_rj84QsmwFsj3hZGs6l0NPU
Good FAQs for those of us not in a convenient place to use the service.
snow report
@Hells Bells, The future?
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, ironic in that it's not too far from where we are once back in the UK!
latest report
@BoardieK, I'm hoping the future os a return to the passport system. An insider told me our government had left it too late to apply for that which is why we are in this position. I believe the application has been made but it will.take time for EU to agree to.it.
ski holidays
I'm expecting that too, it's only politics and bureaucracy preventing it, not animal diseases.
latest report
@Hells Bells, that does look useful. About 15 minutes from us. Thank you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy