Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Well just commenced the process rolling eyes

Our dogs are with quite a substantial veterinary practice here on the Costa Del Geritrica (Worthing).

Call them up and asked about an AHC and I'm told that's £47.50, I then question whether this is for travel to the EU, and ascertained the receptionist did not know anything about an AHC for travel to EU.

I then spend time hanging on whilst she talks to her Manager, she comes back and then says the process takes some considerable time, I then explain how we already have Rabies Vax etc and passports and all we need is the new OV AHC.

So I'm now waiting for a call back from them as the person who they think knows is consulting.

Having been told that an animal health check is £47.50 going to be interesting to see what they come back with !!!???

Further Edit: they came back and dogs are booked in for the 20th and the cost is £47.50 per dog, which I asked for confirmation at least twice. Need two days for them to compile the paperwork.

Evidently, not all Vets in the practice are OV Official Veterinarian.

The plan is to travel 27th allowing for our Test to Travel results in good time without the weekend getting in the way, what a fecking palaver (again) Laughing

Watch this space
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, £50 per dog is a winner based on some of the other numbers I've seen.

The Sunday Times had an article on general veterinary charges, pointing the finger at City money buying practices and ramping up the charges over independent vets. We just paid £39 for a booster jab for our dog but I think next time I'll have a phone around and see what variation there is locally.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, that’s a cracking price! Grab it while you can. I suspect they may not have done one yet....... Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndAnotherThing.., be careful, boosters are loss leaders and not representative of general pricing. If anything, a “good deal” on a booster probably correlates with higher than average pricing when you have a real bill!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gilo wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., be careful, boosters are loss leaders and not representative of general pricing. If anything, a “good deal” on a booster probably correlates with higher than average pricing when you have a real bill!

It is a very odd thing how prices have changed over the years. I recall our old dog having a 'stick\throat' incident which was fixed on a Saturday afternoon for about £70, but shudder to think how much it would be now.

I've personally blamed the advent of pet insurance for increasing costs but perhaps there is more too it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This just came in from the Vet to complete in advance of the AHC I have booked.

Don't know why we just couldn't keep the passport?

Oh no, silly me applying logic again Laughing

Owner’s name (title, first name, surname):

Owner’s address (house name/number, street, town/city, county, postcode):

Telephone number (only one please, mobile preferred):

Point of entry into the EU (Which EU member state are you entering into FIRST):

Species of pet (dog, cat or ferret) and how many of each you are travelling with (maximum 5 pets):

For each pet you are travelling with, please provide the following details:
Species:
Dog, cat, ferret Sex* Colour Breed Microchip number Date of Birth

* For pet’s sex please state female, female neutered, male or male neutered.

Who will be travelling with the pet (please select one, and provide further details if appropriate):
□ Owner
□ Person who has authorisation in writing from the owner to travel with the pet
(name, address, phone number)
□ Designated carrier contracted by the owner to travel with the pet
(name, address, phone number)

Tapeworm treatment is required when travelling from Great Britain to EU listed tapeworm free countries including Norther Ireland, Malta, Ireland and Finland. These dogs must be treated for tapeworm not more than 120 hours and not less than 24 hours before time of entry into one of these countries. Please select from one of the following options (not applicable to cats or ferrets):
I am travelling with my dog to:
□ Northern Ireland
□ Malta
□ Ireland
□ Finland
□ None of the above
NB before returning to Great Britain dogs must be treated for tapeworm not less than 24 hours, not more than 120 hours before time of entry except for return from Northern Ireland, Finland, Ireland, or Malta. You must take your AHC with you for this treatment to a vet in the EU country you are in.
If you are leaving Great Britain on a short trip returning within 120 hours you need to have this treatment done before leaving.

□ I declare that the information entered above is accurate and correct. By submitting this form, I agree that GROVE LODGE VETERINARY HOSPITAL (or its agents) will use this information to complete an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) and any errors or omissions in the information I have provided may invalidate this AHC. Any invalidation of this AHC caused by errors or omissions in this form is entirely at my own risk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, no indication of cost yet?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier, see my post top of this page
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, missed your edit! Interesting, hopefully our vet will be similar. Much cheaper than the £200 I was expecting.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ HellsBells just following a post on FB where someone has said vet in Durham charging £60 for AHC - I've asked which practice it is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scamper, ok thanks. My vets haven't got back to me yet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, I would be interested to know if the Briancon vet does a 1 year or 3 year rabies vaccine. I have attempted unsuccessfully to find out.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hells Bells, will do, but remember this was the vet who told me that I needed a new chip in order to get an EU passport Laughing

But as you know there are a few vets that work in the practice, so hopefully, we'll get a different opinion in a couple of weeks?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

I found this (scroll down for more) EU vets may use other ones but at least it's a start, and if they are using any of the listed ones there's no excuse for anything other than 3 years to be written in the passport for the expiry date.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vaccination-of-dogs/table-of-authorised-dog-vaccines-in-the-uk

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 17-05-21 9:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, thanks, and yes, that is very true. Laughing
ski holidays
Every little helps, please sign the on line petition. http://chng.it/8BDzPH9KLt

Quote:
Scrap the New Animal Health Certificate & Re-Negotiate the UK Pet Passport Scheme for UK (free each trip) within Europe
Say ‘NO’ to the additional £125* price hike per trip!
snow conditions
Dunelm vets in Durham were the ones offering AHC for £60.
snow report
@Scamper,thank you, yes, I've joined the page and have just seen that. Jack the vet knows us well, but he will only deal with animals that are already registered at his practice. I suspect the more expensive one mentioned is our vet.
ski holidays
Ah, I guessed the new Helen might be you. Still, if he's a friend there may yet be hope....
latest report
Scamper wrote:

Interesting, I've just had a reply from Dunelm and they quoted me £50 per animal.
ski holidays
@gilo, can I ask if it costs vets to obtain the paperwork needed and if so, what are the costs, if you don't mind me asking please?
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Scamper wrote:

Interesting, I've just had a reply from Dunelm and they quoted me £50 per animal.

Think that's the cheapest I've come across. Well done!
snow conditions
@Scamper, I'm waiting (again) for my own vet to get back to me. Tried phoning without any joy, so I've messaged their facebook page instead. No response to my email.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, signed the petition following @Hells Bells, putting on FB.
We don’t currently plan to take Coco abroad and have her booked with Alisa, the dog sitter, for the various trips we have booked December 2021 and into 2022. If we get back to Pet Passport eventually then we might start to travel with her again. Waiting for it to settle down. And she does love Alisa.
snow report
@Hells Bells, I don’t think so..... but don’t quote me. Will double check with practice manager tomorrow morning. Afaik our charges are based on time rather than costs.
ski holidays
Our pup had his rabies jab on Monday. The vet told me the appointment for the AHC before travel would take about an hour. I know they probably have had to do many (any?), yet and she spoke to me as if I was an idiot who wouldn’t have known the rules have changed, but what on earth do they do that takes an hour? Dread to think what the charge will be. It’s now another practice that’s been bought out by Medivet...
snow report
@Perty, each page of the document has to be stamped and signed and unused sections scored through, there are many pages, and several different languages.
snow report
@Hells Bells, thanks...sounds like the usual bureaucratic nightmare...
We never had a pet back in the re Brexit days. Hopefully some common sense will prevail in the longer term.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Perty, clearly you’re better informed than most. In my practice I have someone on nearly a daily basis who’s gobsmacked that anything should have changed post brexit.....
ski holidays
Took dogs to the vet yesterday, and ironically vet was Spanish.

We both bemoaned how ludicrous it all was now, he only checked the teeth and heart etc of the dogs for a couple of mins, and then he scanned the pages of their passports and then he explained that he had to complete all the documentation and he was only just really getting his head around it all and that I'd be best to come back and pick it all up on Saturday as it takes a fair amount of time, at which point I asked how much it would cost and he responded £125, and I had to ask for one dog, fearing the worse, but no thankfully for both.

With the passports, I had the detail of the teeth cleaning quote etc circa €160 from the French Vet and he confirmed that they would charge circa £650.

He also confirmed absolute bollox about the need for a new micro-chip for the dogs French passports which he thought was a thoroughly good way to go.
ski holidays
A suggestion for those able to do so possibly? You can currently still travel to Northern Ireland without any documentation. Under NI protocol agreement there is a period of grace which lasted for 6 months after Brexit. Have a weekend in NI and get the EU passports issued there if you can arrange it before June 30th. Provided of course the NI vets have the new passports available to issue.
https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/travelling-pets
ski holidays
Maybe looking at the ferry prices, a single-use AHC and a French issued EU passport would be cheaper. Although you can use Tesco Clubcard vouchers. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well folks here it is, yet another Brexit hangover!

12 fecking pages of an Animal Health Check instead of the passport, just gives you an idea of what bureaucracy businesses must be having to go through now rolling eyes

snow conditions
JEEZ Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
I only count ten, you'll have to rebook. Toofy Grin
snow report
and its signed with blue ink - should be black wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Checked with our local independent vet and an AHC for us is going to cost £150.

Getting her revaccinated and a French passport looks like the way to go.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, how did you get on with the Eurotunnel and the dogs please?
snow report
i fear our dog may have seen the last of the Alps & be spending more time with his "friends"
latest report
@Hells Bells, so you read about the accumulated stress that we went through with our various tests to depart etc

And it didn't stop.

At Eurotunnel check-in if travelling with pets you're given a pet ticket that you have to take to the new Animal check-in by the main terminal.

As we gave in the paperwork the woman behind the desk perused each page and then announced that with these we can't travel, and then quickly added no need to worry as long as we had the passports, as the vet had, like many other vets completed the form wrongly.

He'd put the wrong dates in the columns as per the image below

Eurotunnel is working with DEFRA and monitoring all the errors that they come across of which there are many, they scanned the page and that is emailed to DEFRA so they can assess how to make the forms easier for the vet to complete.

It's only once you've had everything checked that you are then given the boarding pass etc

Think at High Season peak time, it will be carnage.

Good news is that we collected the pup and his French passport on Sunday, now we just have to get the other passports for the other two to hopefully make things way easier!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy