Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10000 Brits stuck in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
"Fleeing" is a bit lurid. They've done a bunk..... hopefully having paid, or fully intending to pay, their hotel bills....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, Mmm, presumably if they’ve just done a bunk though the hotels will charge their credit cards handsomely in their absence. Ime the Swiss aren’t shy at charging, and rightly so in this case...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Britsh have broken the Number Rule "Essential Travel Only"our

I do hope Swiss Authorities manage to catch up and dispatch the fines (10000Chf) to their Home addresses.. This will also be registerd on the Schengen Frontex border Control System so will show up (On Re Entry) in the event of non payment ..

http://youtube.com/v/n9V_yWDhFfQ

Close Down Coming ..

https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/coronavirus/in-der-schweiz-menschenmassen-kein-abstand-keine-masken-voellig-ueberfuellte-skigebiete-trotz-corona-krise_id_12813189.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
"Fleeing" is a bit lurid. They've done a bunk..... hopefully having paid, or fully intending to pay, their hotel bills....

BBC article says that some escapees have been demanding refunds from the Swiss hotels they ran from once they made it into France

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55465079
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Britsh have broken the Number Rule "Essential Travel Only"our

I do hope Swiss Authorities manage to catch up and dispatch the fines (10000Chf) to their Home addresses.. This will also be registerd on the Schengen Frontex border Control System so will show up (On Re Entry) in the event of non payment ..

http://youtube.com/v/n9V_yWDhFfQ

Close Down Coming ..

https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/coronavirus/in-der-schweiz-menschenmassen-kein-abstand-keine-masken-voellig-ueberfuellte-skigebiete-trotz-corona-krise_id_12813189.html

What a load of garbage that article is!

Headlines of no one wearing masks, with a picture in which everyone is outside, wearing masks. « Kilometer long queues » with about 10 people in the queue

You really are desperate aren’t you?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:
@LaForet, They are fleeing switzerland - where they are supposed to quarantine for 10 days upon arrival. Most news outlets are running the same headline. BBC, Sky, Guardian. Daily Mail running 'Escape'.

My point is that it's hyperbole. And trite cliché journalism. Tourists decided that rather than be confined to their rooms, they'd pack, go down to their car, and drive home. Perhaps some of them live in Barnard Castle, so they feel they're just 'using common sense'. Describing it as fleeing is just editorial hysteria.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The term fleeing is correct use of English. Escaping is perhaps wrong. To quote the freedictionary

"flee
vanish; evade, escape, avoid, shun, elude; to run away from: If they are not watched carefully they will flee."

What other word could be used - perhaps "vanished in the middle of the night" or "decided the law did not apply to them and ran away"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More on it here;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/hundreds-of-british-holidaymakers-escape-from-quarantine-in-luxury-ski-resort/ar-BB1cgNLA?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBoPWjQ
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like they didn’t fancy paying for accommodation and not be able to ski so they cleared awf!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I really don't feel like we've seen the detail behind this story. The use of 'flee' and 'escape' etc over-dramatises it. It makes it sound like they were all in the same hotel (not true) and that they all left in a co-ordinated 'Great Escape' style breakout (not true). The UK embassy said going home taking precautions was okay, plus Swiss advice was "Persons resident in the UK currently in Switzerland...will be able to return home from 24 December" https://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/fdfa/fdfa/aktuell/newsuebersicht/2020/01/corona-virus.html

Would love to have some more detail on this hyperbole
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
iainm wrote:
... The use of 'flee' and 'escape' etc over-dramatises it.
Would love to have some more detail on this hyperbole

Nonsense - "flee" is an entirely apposite word. The only hyperbole is those claiming otherwise.

We can all trivially see what the issue is and how it played out. They fled
because they didn't want to spend 10 days locked down in a hotel.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I think of some of the trips my neighbours have been doing over Christmas it is hard to criticise the Brits in Swiss.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, I know what you mean. I’d hate for my neighbourhood to turn into curtain twitchers but while out last night on last dog walk, I noticed a few cars missing from driveways & other strange cars outside other houses.
Now considering in scotland your not allowed in anyone’s home & everywhere else is closed, where are they going?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plucky Brit attempts to flee from Switzerland.... Smile (While the pursurers shout -- "Oih, you haven't paid the bill".. !!!)

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It may be for some of them that went that they simply didn’t have the money to stay there longer over Xmas week just to sit in a hotel room
They may have been able to afford the pre Xmas trip but not a week on peak rate especially if they couldn’t ski as well.
I can see why they would be tempted just to sod off home.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, the not bring able to ski has no impact on affordability. If they were able to ski they would be spending more by buying a lift pass.

It's the gamble they took and lost.
ski holidays
True, but if they could ski and have a good week as opposed to staying in their rooms the whole time they might justify it to themselves by putting it on their credit card.
I agree though, they took a gamble and it didn’t work out
snow report
It was a retroactive quarantine, so they may have already bought the lift passes earlier in the week. Any travel right now is a gamble though Confused
snow conditions
@Scarlet, definitely
snow conditions
Fake News https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/blogs/what-really-happened-in-verbier/
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
Is this true? I heard yesterday but not seen any news or posts here. Switzerland went into lockdown and 10k Brits hoping for a ski holiday before Xmas are now stuck.

No. Latest figures from Swiss authorities are about 3500 UK visitors entered the country in the run-up to Christmas week. Usual lazy journo hyperbole. Perhaps they were 'fleeing' the UK?
latest report
johnE wrote:
The term fleeing is correct use of English. Escaping is perhaps wrong. To quote the freedictionary
"flee - vanish; evade, escape, avoid, shun, elude; to run away from: If they are not watched carefully they will flee."

I don't see it. a few people deciding to return home a few days early from a holiday is none of these things. So no, not 'fleeing'.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
Gainz wrote:
Is this true? I heard yesterday but not seen any news or posts here. Switzerland went into lockdown and 10k Brits hoping for a ski holiday before Xmas are now stuck.

No. Latest figures from Swiss authorities are about 3500 UK visitors entered the country in the run-up to Christmas week. Usual lazy journo hyperbole. Perhaps they were 'fleeing' the UK?

The 10000 was an extrapolation from 92 flights which landed in CH from the UK since 14th December.
latest report
Bad press for Verbier.

It is now in the plague bucket alongside Ischgl.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Fake News https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/blogs/what-really-happened-in-verbier/

The journalist who wrote that article neither contacted Bagnes municipality who were the origin of the figures nor the Valais federation so we have no idea how they compiled their figures or if there really was a "miscommunication". We know the TB chappy doesn't have the figures but we might assume the Valais govt. and by definition the local authorities, do have some idea. I couldn't really understand what the journalist was trying to say, maybe something is lost in translation? She tried to suggest that the Bagnes spokesman was unreliable by saying he was leaving his job which seems like poor hackery in itself.

So we have no way of knowing if it was fakenews at this point. Bagnes were trying to downplay the whole thing so why they would make up fake figures I'm not sure.

After #queuegate at Verbier they are pretty sensitive though.
latest report
When in Switzerland visitors follow/obey Swiss Law.

Brits were required to go into Quarantine even if they had not heard the news its not legally an excuse.

These Brits absconded from our Swiss Quarantine Restrictions and leaving in the middle of night & not providing contact details clearly shows they knew what they were doing ...so this make it even worse ...

Quarantine is for a reason and that is not to jump in your car and potentially asymptomatic transmit the virus through France etc.

The fine for breaking Quarantine is 10000Chf ( 8,300 British Pounds ) but with the blatant intent to flee the fine could end a lot more..15000-20000Chf.

The Bad News for them All is that the Swiss will register them all on the Frontex Schengen Border Control System...

Next time they try to enter the Schengen area the surprise will be waiting for them...

Unfortunately this incident will also have a very inconvenient affect for all British Travellers to Schengen Area what ever country in the EU from January 1st ..

Although this was going to be a sketchy requirement from January 1st it will not be compulsory to that contact details will need to be supplied..

Place of staying: Hotel , campsite etc
Duration of Trip :
Contact Details: Phone, Email.

Obviously Brits are NOT allowed to enter the EU from January 1st but when the CV19 restrictions are lifted (Summer earliest) expect strict controls ..

UK law does not Apply in Switzerland.
snow report
@stanton, @stanton, @stanton, is this sort of stuff your only joy in life ? Even in these shitty times there are better ways to expend your energy. Is being a troll on a ski forum the full extent of your ambition?
latest report
Whilst personally I would not have travelled to Switzerland before Xmas the behaviour of the swiss authorities has been unacceptable and unwelcoming and I will certainly bear in mind next time I do decide to go skiing, 2022, when choosing a destination. 2021 was going to be the year I returned to wengen with its new lifts but I think I might miss Switzerland in 2022 and give my hard earned loot to the Austrians or Italians as a minor form of protest. Retrospective action is never acceptable as is the reported pursuing of the fleers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Daily Telegraph: "Swiss police said on Wednesday they were investigating 12 cases in which British tourists ignored quarantine orders aimed at containing new Covid-19 virus variants after hundreds of fellow nationals were believed to have fled the country".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/30/swiss-police-probe-12-brits-suspected-fleeing-ski-resort-quarantine/

a lot more info here:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-continue-search-for-absconded-british-tourists/46253588
snow report
There are no winners out of this situation, the Swiss, the travellers & the folk on here bashing them are all losers. And I’m well aware that I have voiced my thoughts towards those that traveled.
snow report
@countryman, I agree with you. It was foolhardy and downright greedy of the Swiss to stay open at a time when the neighboring countries took precautions. The Swiss knew they were taking a risk. Now rather than accepting responsibility for their recklessness, the Swiss are scapegoating British tourists. This does not sit well with me. I will join your protest. Italy, Austria, and France will be happy for our business.
snow conditions
Swiss situation remaining stable.

R down from 0.97 to 0.91 in Valais but restaurants staying shut for now
https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/dossiers/coronavirus/articles/le-valais-maintient-le-cap-face-au-coronavirus-1025332
ski holidays
Leave means leave Very Happy
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/andy-wigmore-quarantine-coronavirus-switzerland-b1779668.html
latest report
The figure of 10,000 'stranded' UK skiers was plucked out of thin air and now, no one can find where the number came from. The only official statement says around 3,500 UK citizens (in total, not all necessarily skiing holidaymakers) entered Switzerland in the run-up to Christmas Week. The figure of 'hundreds' of Verbier visitors 'fleeing' home 'breaking' quarantine and subject to police investigations now turns out to be 12 who didn't inform their hosts they were leaving, as required. UK visitors were entirely at liberty to return home early or as scheduled (known as 'fleeing' in blogger parlance) as long as they told someone, and hundreds did indeed do that.

So the headlines should be 'Not many Brits come to Switzerland compared to this time last year', 'Most Verbier UK visitors opt to go home early or as scheduled.' and '12 British people visiting Verbier didn't get the message and left without telling anyone'.

None of which will attract anything like the same number of clicks as the fictions that were actually posted. But that's bloggers for you.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Leave means leave Very Happy
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/andy-wigmore-quarantine-coronavirus-switzerland-b1779668.html

Great! He’s only adding fuel to the fire of perception that it was arrogant money class who only care about themselves
snow report
countryman wrote:
Whilst personally I would not have travelled to Switzerland before Xmas the behaviour of the swiss authorities has been unacceptable and unwelcoming

Ken in LA wrote:
@countryman, I agree with you. It was foolhardy and downright greedy of the Swiss to stay open at a time when the neighboring countries took precautions. The Swiss knew they were taking a risk. Now rather than accepting responsibility for their recklessness, the Swiss are scapegoating British tourists. This does not sit well with me. I will join your protest. Italy, Austria, and France will be happy for our business.

The only thing the British tourists were guilty of are believing the Swiss in the first place.

Granted, they took the same risk as the Swiss authority did in putting on rosy glasses. But they shouldn't be the only one made to suffer the consequence. They were right to "flee" back home!
snow report
Photo looks ok to me. Seems a lot have forgotten that the aim is the slow the spread and flatten the curve, not all hibernate away. Things need to tick over, just in a sensible way IMO.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy