Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10000 Brits stuck in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Is this true? I heard yesterday but not seen any news or posts here. Switzerland went into lockdown and 10k Brits hoping for a ski holiday before Xmas are now stuck.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are they sleeping in their cars in a giant car park?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gainz, are they stuck? They chose to go and are likely quarantining in hotels. That's not stuck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have heard they are ignoring the quarantine
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@vipul, heard from whom?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/mutated-coronavirus-has-probably-reached-switzerland-from-uk/46240984

"Some of the 10,000 British holidaymakers who travelled to Switzerland in the last week are almost certainly
carrying the new Covid-19 variant, a government official said on Tuesday"
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vipul wrote:
I have heard they are ignoring the quarantine

Can't see that going down well with the CH authorities. They will probably spend the quarantine in a less luxurious "Hotel"

Not sure if the number is correct, but no doubt there are quite a few Brits there, along with a few from most EU Countries. They knew the rules and the risks. No sympathy from me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@brianatab, I have no sympathy either.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In our village the Brits have been told to confine themselves to their hotel rooms or apartments if they arrived on/after the 14th December. Police are in the village (we never normally see them) to enforce this. We already know of one individual who fell ill after arriving and has now tested positive. Some have left by car or by repatriation flights already.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are ten thousand skiers stuck in Swiss
that's a fact
it is a thing we can't deny
trapped in quarantine until they die

There are 20,000 members in the Club
That's a guess
No-one can ever say it's true
But their insurance will cost a bob or two

... drones on for another few verses.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, people out in verbier dining and skiing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vipul, are you there now?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, we'll if that isn't stuck then I'd hate to be 'stuck' somewhere with you that would be an effing nightmare!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very quiet in Verbier the last couple of days. There are Brits around but suspect most are expats or people here for the season. According to this there were 500 that arrived last weekend but we also heard stories of people leaving when the quarantine was announced
https://www.thelocal.ch/20201222/swiss-ski-resorts-feel-hit-after-british-flight-ban
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gainz wrote:
@holidayloverxx, we'll if that isn't stuck then I'd hate to be 'stuck' somewhere with you that would be an effing nightmare!!

'stuck' is over egging a temporary situation. If there were no end to the situation in sight I would agree they are stuck, but there is so they aren't.

Luckily for both of us, if we were stuck somewhere we would be isolated so would have no idea we were both there.
snow report
So bloke-in-the-pub (i.e. some reddit or dailymail forum) told @vipul that Brits are breaking quarantine in Verbier.

@BobinCH, who is actually resident in Switz and mostly in Verbier, says they are not.

I know who is more believable!
latest report
@telford_mike,no but I know people who are .they have dined at mountain restaurants and skied everyday since The quarantine was announced

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 26-12-20 11:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@rungsp, ah the uninformed pipes up .

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 26-12-20 14:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Depending on when they arrived their insurance will be unlikely to cover their extended stay hotel bills.

@vipul, your friends are dicks.
ski holidays
vipul wrote:
@telford_mike,no but I know people who are .they have dined at mountain restaurants and skied everyday since The quarantine was announced

Selfish pricks
snow report
rungsp wrote:
So bloke-in-the-pub (i.e. some reddit or dailymail forum) told @vipul that Brits are breaking quarantine in Verbier.

@BobinCH, who is actually resident in Switz and mostly in Verbier, says they are not.

I know who is more believable!

As usual the answer is likely to be somewhere down the middle. I know affluent middle class types who seem to think the virus won't get them or that the rules don't apply to them in quite the same way they apply to BAME and working class. And during the first lock down it was suggested only about 20% were self-isolating when they should be. This newer strain may have altered behavior but there will still be plenty from all walks of life who ignore it.

What's more amazing is the 'must go skiing at any cost' attitude when the best thing we can all do right now is to stop moving around so much.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, there will always those who push the boundaries too far, I believe in karma.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
vipul wrote:

Selfish pricks

+1

These same selfish pricks are the ones making it less likely that those of us following the rules will get to ski this season.

Why the hell can't they just wait a few more weeks?
latest report
vipul wrote:
@rungsp, ah the uniformed pipes up .

I'll have you know I favour the smart-casual look, though I do like a proper top hat on some occasions Very Happy
ski holidays
After a while in Quarantine, every day will seem like Sunday !

http://youtube.com/v/2QR77xPBSME
snow conditions
@brianatab, I agree selfish and foolhardy. The Swiss restauranteurs In verbier don’t give a damn accepting bookings from brits who should be quarantining . Reports that they are packed with no regard to the required social distancing . Happy to take the cash .
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Some have left by car or by repatriation flights already.

I sincerely hope that these flights haven’t been supplied & paid for by the U.K. government
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Some have left by car or by repatriation flights already.

I sincerely hope that these flights haven’t been supplied & paid for by the U.K. government

No, they were normal commercial flights, allowed to operate by the Swiss govt in order to get Brits home to the U.K. and Swissies home to CH.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The only people in Europe following the rules are Finland, Norway, and Isle of Man.

Everyone else is roaming around like the plague never happened.

It's why 13 of the world's 15 deadliest countries now are in Europe.

It's not just the Swiss or Brits screwing it up.
ski holidays
@Whitegold, and the deadliest is... your* US of A!
By the way how did those elections go for your genius in chief?

*Assuming you are actually American.
ski holidays
@vipul, lots of brits around in Verbier and elsewhere who arrived here quite “legally” before 14th Dec and who have no need to isolate, avoid restaurants or skiing, or any such things that may offend you. Perhaps you could explain how you know the arrival date in Switzerland of the various brits you refer to...?
snow report
vipul wrote:
@brianatab, I agree selfish and foolhardy. The Swiss restauranteurs In verbier don’t give a damn accepting bookings from brits who should be quarantining . Reports that they are packed with no regard to the required social distancing . Happy to take the cash .

How do you tell an expat from a tourist? There are loads if Brits resident in Verbier / Le Châble / Vevey / Lausanne / Geneva etc who have apartments in Verbier or drive up for the day. I dined in both Chez Dany and Dahu in the last couple of days and they both had plexiglass barriers, distancing etc

In this pick you can see the plexiglass and the girl back left was asked not to sit on the side seat to respect the distancing.

IMO Verbier is taking it very seriously. There are COVID angels everywhere spacing queues etc. They closed le Châble at 9:30 this morning to reduce numbers.

Merry Xmas Very Happy
snow conditions
@newby21, I have no problem with ex-pats, or people who have local residence. It is the others that cause problems.

They may have arrived "legally" before, or after the 14th, but there were 10,000 of them.

How many of these traveled from a Tier 3 area, or an area that had high rates and should have been a Tier3?

How many were recently living in a Tier 3, but had recently gone "home" to a Tier 2. (Students etc)

How many "got out" of the SE, or London in time to avoid Tier4, but were actually very high risk, and put their personal interests before the health of others?

I was under the impression that "Holidays" were not classed as essential travel, therefore none of them should really have been there.
It may be legal, but it's morally indefensible.

If it was up to me, then home/recent residence of all of these should have been checked on return, and fines handed out where applicable.
snow report
If Verbier were taking it seriously, they would shut everything down until cases are squashed to zero.

They haven't, and they're not.
latest report
That photo (3 posts up from this one) does not look very safe at all with aerosol transmission. Lots of animated people in close proximity, looking like they will be there for a while, all visible windows closed, no masks...... And all in a country with a high infection rate

Some advice, from just down the road in Geneva

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-how-is-it-transmitted

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 26-12-20 17:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I’ve been to Verbier a couple of times recently, and I was impressed by how well run it was. I know there was ‘that’ photo, but everything I personally experienced made me feel there was minimal risk.

People are driving in their own cars to Le Chable and riding empty lifts all day, and people who have undoubtedly that same day been in a shop, bus etc. are calling them covidiots. All you can do is laugh I guess.
ski holidays
Sorry there are lots on here who have the expensive of running a alpine apartment but have taken the stance that you should not be travelling.
That picture shows 12 very selfish people
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
Sorry there are lots on here who have the expensive of running a alpine apartment but have taken the stance that you should not be travelling.
That picture shows 12 very selfish people

And what if none of us travelled anywhere?
snow report
The plexiglass barriers we see in most restaurants are as effective in preventing the spread of Covid as placing a condom at the foot of the bed to prevent STDs.
ski holidays
We’re following the rules, not making them. Lot of halos out today!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy