Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel restrictions for UK resident but EU/Non-UK passport holders in 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Android, just hope the UK doesn't get onto the "The Swiss Quarantine list" before I travel at the beginning of January, and assuming of cource the UK hasn't banned travel, and you are still allowed to travel across France, and the Swiss ski lifts are still allowed to operate.....lot of ifs !! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So it's all about COVID at the minute - EU countries starting to ban UK arrivals from the UK (passport irrelevant).

Pure speculation from me - countries might keep the 'covid' travel ban in place for a while to give them time to decide what to do re. UK citizen travel post-Brexit... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55385768
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All only suggesting flights and trains, nothibg about ports and driving ??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@thunderer, Ireland have just announced a 48 hours ban on both flights and ferries; Belgium have banned Eurostar arrivals.

I'm sure it'll all change quickly and frequently over the next week or so!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where is a good source for reliable updates ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BBC have been updating this story over the past few hours: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55385768

Euronews appears to be updating reasonably frequently too: https://www.euronews.com/2020/12/20/netherlands-bans-flights-from-uk-to-limit-spread-of-new-coronavirus-strain

For Ireland, I've been checking RTE news. Country specific threads on snowheads have some good links too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It seems like the new infectious variant identified in SE England might complicate travel issues further. Though reports suggest the new strain is already present on the continent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The basic criterion for an Irish passport is
"If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship."
And it gets better - the initial application can be made on line, costs €75, and needs one digital photo.
The next step is to send then an audit trail of your Irish born parent's birth certificate, wedding certificate (if there was a marriage!), your birth certificate and a signed witness form. The Irish GRO (Registry Office) has an easy on line process if you need copies of Irish certificates.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting that France has re-opened its border with the UK - provided the traveller has a negative test result within 72 hours of travel - but restricted to French, EU, EEA and CH passport holders, or UK (or other third country) passport holders with residency in France.

There are the usual dispensations for posted workers, diplomats, transport workers etc. too.

Shape of things to come accross Europe I would suggest.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also interesting that the EU couldn't coordinate a response to the new variant, national self interest is rising across the continent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
About 40 Brits were detained after arriving by Eurostar in Brussels yesterday, refused entry to Belgium and then removed back to the UK on the next London bound train.

The Belgian rules are clear on who can enter given the events of recent days and they did not qualify.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am I reading it correctly.....If I have an Irish passport but live in the UK can I travel to France after having a negative test, is this correct ???
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thunderer, travel restrictions are based on the country you are in or have been in within the previous 14 days. Not your nationality.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Android2000 wrote:
Interesting that France has re-opened its border with the UK - provided the traveller has a negative test result within 72 hours of travel - but restricted to French, EU, EEA and CH passport holders, or UK (or other third country) passport holders with residency in France.

There are the usual dispensations for posted workers, diplomats, transport workers etc. too.

Shape of things to come accross Europe I would suggest.

“But restricted to French, EU, EEA and CH passport holders, or UK (or other third country) passport restricted to French, EU, EEA and CH passport holders with residency in France”

So does it not say if you are a UK citizen you cannot enter, but if you are a EU passport holder you can enter with a negative test
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GlasgowCyclops, Not true for entry to France. The French rules allow the following people to enter France from UK (with the test):

• French people and nationals of the European area; partners and child

• British or third-country nationals who either normally live in France, the European Union or the European area, or must make essential journeys as listed in the annex.

@thunderer, Yes, Irish citizens based in UK can enter France with the negative test. UK citizens currently cannot.

https://uk.ambafrance.org/France-to-admit-some-travellers-from-UK-following-suspension

Of course there are UK restrictions on travel, especially for those living in Tier 4 area.
snow report
@Android2000, Thanks
ski holidays
@Nemisis, criteria for getting an Irish passport is here https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/ and is possible for those with Irish grandparents though more involved than if you or a parent was born on the island of Ireland. Possible for other groups too, mainly those now resident in the Republic. Worth noting that if you are an expectant parent resident outside of Ireland you must have acquired citizenship before the child is born for the child to qualify for citizenship.
latest report
Ha they have tweaked the rules it did say

“French people and nationals of the European area; partners and children” with a negative COVID test

To this

“European Union nationals and nationals from Andorra, United Kingdom, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and the Vatican, whose primary residence is in France or are in transit through France to reach their country of origin or of primary residence”

So being an Irish(EU) National living in the UK is not allowed to travel to France

See link to copy of
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL CERTIFICATE TO MAINLAND FRANCE FROM THE UK.
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/125623/1005091/file/24-12-2020-attestation-deplacement-du-royaume-uni-vers-la-france-anglais.docx
snow conditions
A bit of a cross-post from the "10,000 / Switzerland" thread, but probably more pertinent for this discussion. I've lifted a few paras from the link below. As already touched on I believe, each member state can still do as it pleases, so the current restrictions (as detailed by @thunderer) that most EU countries have applied even ahead of 1st Jan, may be staying for a while. However, it's the last para I've quoted, that if applied, would roll back the 'residence / origin' bit of @thunderer's update.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-include-uk-in-its-list-of-epidemiologically-unsafe-third-countries-starting-from-january-1/

With the ongoing pandemic and the number of cases on the rise, the EU Commission has issued a recommendation to the EU Member States advising them to ban non-essential entry from the UK due to the new virus strain detected in England.

“As of January 1, 2021, the United Kingdom will become a third country and the Member States shall start applying the Recommendation on the temporary restriction on non-essential travel to the EU to persons travelling from the UK, in view of the end of the transition period,” the Commission notes in a press release presenting the Recommendation.

“This limitation to essential travel shall not apply to Union citizens resident in the UK and UK nationals who are long-term residents in the EU Member States under the Long-term Residence Directive, independent of the purpose of travel,” the Commission notes.
snow report
@bobski62, well researched !!
ski holidays
I used Eurotunnel yesterday. FR police/customs at UK end not really interested in the 2 certificates/declarations on the gouv.fr website and wanted proof of address. Luckily I had a copy of a letter from the Marie's office to me with a new postal address. Issued in Jan 2016, perhaps they had an inkling?? I had also asked a neighbour to photograph my mail box and he also opened and took pic of letter to me from Tresorerie Municipale, but those weren't required.
UK motorways pretty empty, FR pretty busy.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 27-12-20 10:37; edited 2 times in total
snow report
thunderer wrote:
@bobski62, well researched !!

Indeed.

But still not sure I'm brave enough to book flights etc on the basis of that.

Even as a French and German speaker, don't think I'd fancy my chances of arguing that point with customs / passport control.
snow conditions
Have to wait and see if France take the onboard EU recommendation to allow EU Nationals to travel from the UK without restriction !!
ski holidays
Indeed, although it was Switzerland I was hoping to go to because of ease for me of getting to B'ham airport, easy jet flight to Geneva then train to Verbier / Zermatt etc

Unfortunately, UK government's decision to put densely-populated London and its massive commuter belt into Tier 2 post- November lockdown seems to have done for that.

Bozo has a long way to go to convince me that "levelling up" the country is a true intention. Londump is and always has been the priority.

Apologies for the brief rant / thread drift!
snow conditions
I think anyone can be forgiven the occasional rant this year, and generally this thread seems to stay reassuringly 'on message'.

@colinstone, were you travelling on a UK passport to your French residence?

I agree, jebroni3_16 - much more to consider that just the theoretical feasibility of travelling.

I took another peek this evening at the French UK-specific travel/entry page and it seems to have been aligned with yesterday's EU guidance, namely

"... only the following categories of people will be authorized to travel in France or enter from the UK:

• French people and nationals of the European area;
• British or third-country nationals who either normally live in France, the European Union or the European area, or must make essential journeys as listed in the annex.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/country-files/united-kingdom/news/article/press-release-limited-resumption-of-the-movement-of-people-from-the-united

The Annex concerns itself only with British citizens and 3rd-country nationals.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 27-12-20 22:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@bobski62, the link is not working. Are you saying that a EU National can now travel from the UK to France for non- essential travel ? mind they don’t seem to have updated the https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/125623/1005091/file/24-12-2020-attestation-deplacement-du-royaume-uni-vers-la-france-anglais.docx. But then it is Sunday !!
ski holidays
So sorry @thunderer, I've fixed the link (should know better - my mantra in my former role as an IT professional was: test, test, test).

Yes, what you say is how I read the current version of the UK-specific press release. It has definitely changed as I saw a screen-grab elsewhere of the version you quoted from yesterday.

Will take a peek at the attestation later. Supper and a glass of red await...

In fact just taken a look at the attestation form and yes, as you say, it still insists on the previous stuff. It looks like a really hurried lash-up based on the 3rd-country requirements pre EU update.
snow report
Hopefully they will catch up with their paperwork !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@colinstone, thanks for that, have printed out a couple of Orange bills as well as my Tax Habitation & Foncieres etc.

Going up to Epsom this morning, hopefully for PCR test and then even more hopefully await the results etc
ski holidays
@bobski62, Just checked again this morning the UK travel Foreign office says this and has been updated on the 27th at 5.39pm

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Travel between the UK and France
France restricted travel from the UK from 24:00 (CET) on 20 December. This travel restriction applies to air, car, ferry and train passengers. From 24:00 (CET) on 22 December, until at least 6 January (subject to a possible review), only the following categories of people will be authorised to travel to France from the UK:

1. French nationals and nationals of the European Area, and their spouses and children;
2. British and/or third country nationals who are either permanently resident in France, the European Union or the European Area;

However the Attestation still says EU nationals travelling to their country or place of residernce

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage

I guess until they include a tick box for EU National travelloing for non essential reasons, we are a bit stuck really
snow conditions
Just downloaded both the English and the French versions of the forms at your last link, thanks @thunderer, and maybe the answer is to use the French form.

The French form says: Ressortissant de l’Union européenne ou ressortissant andorran, britannique, ... ayant sa résidence principale en France ou qui rejoint ...

The English form says: European Union nationals and nationals from Andorra, United Kingdom, ...

You could argue semantics (with a border official!) but the French version seems to suggest "either EU citizen or all the other stuff if not but still from a 'special' country". I agree with you, a separate tick box would make it much clearer so let's see if anything changes in the next days; simply moving the EU citizen bit to the first tick box along with French nationals would align the form with the regs as stated on the website.

The impression I get from @colinstone's experience is that officials will demand to see either an EU passport or proof of address in France and not bother with attestations, on which you could tick anything you liked. However, like @jebroni3_16, I'm not brave enough to try it just yet! Even if we can lift the fog on cross-channel travel, the case numbers both sides of it are still grim and should France end up in lockdown again, 1km is not much fun.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-12-20 12:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@thunderer, and don't forget that currently, you have to have a PCR test as well, which I found surprisingly uncomfortable.

Will not be at all nice for young children!
latest report
@Android2000, What I meant was if coming from one country the restrictions are based on the country EG free entry from one country, but restrictions from another. In general nationals or those resident are allowed to go home but for others there are restrictions.

I also know about the exemptions because I had to work in Nantes hospital for 2 days and even that didn't get me exemption until the rules relaxed a bit because it was not Covid related. In general the people allowed are those essential for Nuclear, telecoms, national infrastructure etc etc etc. But going OT now Happy
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@thunderer, and don't forget that currently, you have to have a PCR test as well, which I found surprisingly uncomfortable.

Will not be at all nice for young children!

It gets easier. 16 so far since this started and all work/surveillance related. All negative by the way.
latest report
@bobski62, Yes wait and see !! but as you say not looking good with rates, so France and UK will probably be in total lockdown by next week anyhow, so the possible chance of travelling will have gone out of the window.
@Weathercam, yes realised need for test
ski holidays
SkiMottaretJnr managed to cross using the Eurotunnel this morning. Armed with a million forms, utility bills, rental agreements, Attestations, etc all the UK and French agents asked for was her negative Covid test. nobody on the train and they got an early crossing. She is a dual UK/Irish national but showed her Brit passport.
latest report
@skimottaret, excellent
snow conditions
@skimottaret, Eurostar or Eurotunnel, with a car?

Just asking as you said nobody on the train ?
snow conditions
Our neighbours came over on Christmas Eve with UK passports.
They had a slew of documents, and were worried that:
1: Their property is a 2nd residence not primary
2: Their C19 Neg test certificates were 76 hours old.

They got the impression that the French authorities were keen to clear the huge backlog.
Much like @skimottaret says, the only thing they were really bothered about was the C19 cert, and they were happy enough to let them in.
snow report
@colinstone, were you travelling on a UK passport to your French residence?

Now we have arrived, Yes.

And now in Lauterbrunnen in Swiss Q. Initially CH customs at Basel were grumpy thinking we were mad having 10 days quarantine for a short trip. Pointed out 3 months and they decided to search all our food - phyto-sanitary check and foretaste post BREXIT. But probably realised if it was confiscated, we'd have to break Q to go shopping!! Lovely to be back in the mountains.
Chum got a days remission from Q after a neg test, we might get 3 days as in France, deemed to be a safe country??, before getting here. Phew.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 30-12-20 12:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy