Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

france opening on the 7th

Poster: A snowHead
Just looked on the st gervais website to look at the snow(sad I know) and it says France has announced ski resorts will open on the 7th of jan unless covid cases rise, fingers and everything else crossed that happens
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good stuff ... wasn't sure whether that was a wind-up so checked the site too.

Except of course that our world-beating game-changing wall-spaffing government seems on course to ensure we are cut off from Europe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resorts may open, but will hotels, bars and restaurants?

May be restricted to locals for a week or so.

Will also depend on current movement restrictions throughout Europe.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pourraient is the conditional - so might/could, not will.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
noggy wrote:
Pourraient is the conditional - so might/could, not will.

I added the proviso of cases not rising, its a two step process, first resorts to open and secondly the brits allowed in, Im an optimist, cant see the point living life always expecting the worse
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
These damm pesky kids means I need quarantine to go before I go
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shame that Inghams cancelled all January trips a week ago. Will be gutted if Holidays makers are skiing in Tignes fron 30th January when our trip was booked for. I’m into a second voucher now having arrived last season in France to be told it was closing that evening !!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm from the other side of the globe and we aren't permitted to leave our island prison so these matters don't concern me personally but I'm wondering if it would be best for those of you from nations with high rates of Covid infections that you skipped travel for a while? Let the situation settle and then resume holidays?
I'm not preaching. Doesn't bother me either way but I can't help but feel normality will return quicker if everyone stays put for a while.*

*I'm mindful of the poor people with tourism businesses that may go broke. I don't know the answer to that bit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Eggfried100, are you Eggfried in (a not so cunning) disguise?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker. Absolutely correct. But people on here will do mental gymnastics to justify why their trip is not an issue. Clearly people are unable to stick to the rules hence the rate continually rising.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As soon as the resorts reopen, overexcited folks will pile in by the million, virus will respike, and resorts will lockdown again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbooker, compulsory vaccinations (unless clinically exempted) required. ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbooker, I agree. There is the risk of a serious collapse of the travel industry though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boarder2020 wrote:
@sbooker. Absolutely correct. But people on here will do mental gymnastics to justify why their trip is not an issue. Clearly people are unable to stick to the rules hence the rate continually rising.

When it comes down to it, as much as I love skiing and am pig sick I can’t go this year, the reality is all I have to do is stay at home in my warm comfortable house with everything I need in it. Plus I will save loads of money not doing 4-5 weeks skiing this year. Things could be a lot worse is how I see it so I’d sooner leave it alone and just accept it for what it is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm not preaching. Doesn't bother me either way but I can't help but feel normality will return quicker if everyone stays put for a while.*

I don't disagree but I feel that the bigger Be Nice please!-up comes from the governments rather than the people themselves. It's not necessarily new that people will try to find outs, but in most of Europe and the UK the measures have been half-assed all year long. So if you have the people that have been particularly adamant about following the rules - and if you'd only have those, we'd probably have less than 100 cases in each country.

But some have been taking the whole quarantine to the letter since day 1, not going to supermarkets (by arranging deliveries) only going out for walks, not traveling etc, taking regular tests when needed rather than skipping them (I still don't get why people do this). The problem is that there are too many people that for the past year have mostly been "going around the rules", and that becomes frustrating to everyone, especially the ones which have been doing their best not to. As in, you stay at home, you don't bend rules and you constantly hear how everyone is not "doing their part" and "everything is getting worse".

If we wanted to really keep it down, we would've kept stronger rules in check for longer, I mean, in an entire year, we had plenty proof that people "won't use common sense" (or that the value of common sense depends on the interpretation... )

I think literally all of us could do better, but definitely some more than others, and the system should provide the correct framework without becoming dystopian.
snow conditions
j b wrote:

Except of course that our world-beating game-changing wall-spaffing government seems on course to ensure we are cut off from Europe.

Being based in Yorkshire, you might want to have a chat with the locals up there as the democratic process means we leave and the Government are implementing the result. The Europeans are now of course showing their true colours as they don’t like the result making the process difficult resulting in brinksmanship, being the only negotiating template the Europeans know.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/politics/why-leeds-bucked-brexit-trend-being-one-only-places-yorkshire-vote-remain-1380608

PS I voted remain.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 12-12-20 10:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
WTF has all this crap got to do with French ski resorts opening on 7th Jan? Evil or Very Mad Post your bile on one of the hundreds of (more) relevant posts.
latest report
@alti - dude, I do recognise the government were put there by the electorate. But on the basis of promises that everything would remain frictionless after Brexit, and so on and so on. Johnson and co have to own their lies.
latest report
@Claude B, +1

Please post any further info on French opening.

All I can glean is that they ‘could’ open on 7th Jan if Covid numbers go down.

Strikes me this is a sop from the French govt to disgruntled ski resorts. As numbers are likely to bump upwards rather than down after Christmas holidays, then they will have their excuse to keep ski lifts closed.
snow conditions
Is this ALL French resorts or by Department?
latest report
skimottaret wrote:

All French resorts.
snow report
5RED wrote:

Strikes me this is a sop from the French govt to disgruntled ski resorts. As numbers are likely to bump upwards rather than down after Christmas holidays, then they will have their excuse to keep ski lifts closed.

It won't be a big issue if they open in early Jan as there are not many people around, they can always close again in February or put in other restrictions if the figures are bad at that point.

the 7th Jan figure has been touted for a number of activities apart from skiing but one minister made it clear that the date meant nothing would open before the 7th Jan.
snow conditions
@Claude B, Do you know if the resorts are to fully open, or are Bars/restaurants etc to remain closed?

This would effectively mean only open to Locals or day trippers within a local area.

@davidof, If they fully open in early Jan, with no travel restrictions, the world and his Mother will descend like the proverbial swarm of locusts.
Unless appropriate distancing rules enforced, can almost guarantee closing again mid Feb. The resorts could then miss out on the revenue from school half term holidays, and most of the peak season.
latest report
@brianatab, Bars and restaurants aren't due to open until 20th. I don't think there is anything preventing hotels opening, even now. Attracting customers is their issue.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
@Claude B, Do you know if the resorts are to fully open, or are Bars/restaurants etc to remain closed?

This would effectively mean only open to Locals or day trippers within a local area.

@davidof, If they fully open in early Jan, with no travel restrictions, the world and his Mother will descend like the proverbial swarm of locusts.
Unless appropriate distancing rules enforced, can almost guarantee closing again mid Feb. The resorts could then miss out on the revenue from school half term holidays, and most of the peak season.

Not sure why ski resorts are any more risk than going to the beach was here in the summer, the press was ful of reports how numbers would rocket, they didnt, as long as bars are closed and small enclosed lifts are only allowed to carry those in the same group or bigger ones reduced capacity with masks etc I dont see its any more risk than allowing footie fans into games.

The only issue would be hospital capacity to deal with ski injuries and covid cases, of course if the eu got their act together on the vaccine that would help
snow report
Claude B wrote:
WTF has all this crap got to do with French ski resorts opening on 7th Jan? Evil or Very Mad Post your bile on one of the hundreds of (more) relevant posts.

+1
ski holidays
Sitting on a beach then driving home would be very low risk, however, sitting on the beach then going to the local pubs for a few hours would not be.
Same with skiing.

In either scenario, it only takes 1 selfish idiot with symptoms to cause a local spike.

If only a few resorts are open, people will flock to them. Many won't take the correct precautions. A bar in a ski resort is probably more of a risk than one on the Costa del Sol due to there being less ventilation. You can sit outside with a drink in Spain at 8pm. Not many brave souls would do it in the Alps or Dollies
snow report
Claude B wrote:
@brianatab, Bars and restaurants aren't due to open until 20th. I don't think there is anything preventing hotels opening, even now. Attracting customers is their issue.

That is the sensible approach. keeps a bit of income coming into the resort, but reduces the chances of spread. Although, I suspect there will be a sudden boom in hotel bookings for that week.

Hopefully, Italy will follow suit and we can enjoy the Birthday bashes.

Just all down to travel restrictions being lifted.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the resorts and lifts open but brits aren't allowed into france it will be worse than them staying shut
snow report
5RED wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

All French resorts.

I hope they go ahead and open all the ski lift facilities, also see their rationale as January is ordinarily fairly sparsely populated and may give more chance of realistic separation of accumulation in covid data terms to enable clearer view of spread etc.

Theoretically, having more dispersal (all open as compared to limited domain) should help mitigate effects.
snow report
robs1 wrote:
If the resorts and lifts open but brits aren't allowed into france it will be worse than them staying shut

Tit for tat in response to our potential fishing 'blockade'?
snow conditions
puplett wrote:

Tit for tat in response to our potential fishing 'blockade'?

Macron makes it stark and obvious that he ".... want his slice of the cake..." with reference to the UK fishing grounds and French Fishermen. What BoJo has not factored in is that the UK has (just about) left the EU-Club and that means the "Club-House" is not open to UK passport holders any more from Jan 1st 2021. I suspect the French/EU will happily apply whatever underhand tactics to whichever British it thinks fit to prove that point. The reality is the UK has decided to go it alone, leave the EU-Club, sacrifice the freedom of European movement, become "Third World", and have to accept the consequences.

The blockades will most likely be the EU fishermen blockading Dover once Lord West's idea that Navy gunboats get ready for a "punch-up".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1371679/brexit-fishing-no-deal-latest-royal-navy-patrol-lord-west-VN
snow report
I'm not posting on this thread again. It's got f**k all to do with Brexit, covid testing in UK or any of the normal sh*t plastered over every other post Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
@Claude B, goodbye
snow report
@Claude B, I am looking at SnowHeads less and less now for the same reason. Every post goes the same way and it’s getting monotonous.
BTW, thanks for the really useful info you’ve been posting. It’s good to be getting some insight from you and the other locals.
snow report
lynnecha wrote:
@Claude B, I am looking at SnowHeads less and less now for the same reason. Every post goes the same way and it’s getting monotonous.
BTW, thanks for the really useful info you’ve been posting. It’s good to be getting some insight from you and the other locals.

+1
latest report
lynnecha wrote:

You're looking at it "less and less" even though you find "useful info and insight from locals"?
latest report
Irrelevant post.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 13-12-20 8:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, strong drink taken tonight?
latest report
deleted

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 14-12-20 1:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy