Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Expensive knee braces. A waste of money?

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah you too. I'm still booked for end of Jan, but not holding out any hope! Not to derail the thread, but did you see what happened to the poor Brits in Switzerland?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few thoughts on this, based on my experience. I twatted my ACL (probably about 80% gone) 20 years ago. Once I got it prpoerly diagnosed, I got a titanium brace (can't find it, and can't remember the make, may have had 'Edge' in the name) whic I used for 3 seasons. The brace had a specific strap to compensate for the ACL (they did a different model for the PCL), I got it professionally fitted, and found sometimes took some twaeking to feel right (I probably got to a point where 70% of days it felt right from the start, 20% I got it right after some fiddling, and 10% it never quite felt right). I'd still ski if it didn't feel right, but maybe not quite so aggressively. I'm pretty sure the 'feeling right' was about exactly how it sat on my knee, but may have been influenced by how strong my knee was feeling.

After 3 years I weaned myself off it, which was mostly a mental thing. The 3 reasons to stop using it were: a) beacuse I didn't want to depend on it, b) the annoyance of the days when it didn't 'feel right', c) it'd be an encuumbrance when touring. It took a couple of days of gentle(ish) skiing trying to dial down the hypersensitivity to anything slightly odd, but afte that I wa fine without it. The big caveat with this is I always spend 4 to 6 weeks specific strength. balance and plyometric training before each season to be confident my knee and muscles will be as ready as they can be.

So, my main point is that I think a brace is mostly a psychological help (and probably more so for LCL or MCL as I'm not sure any brace gives specific protection for these), but that's not to belittle it. For me it was well worth the ~£600 I spent for the 3 years to get me to a point where I could do without it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure it is wise to be wrestling sweaty men in pajamas at 45yo.

Braces don't stop knee deterioration.

They just postpone it.

Give up the JJ and save the knees for skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
viv wrote:
A few thoughts on this, based on my experience. I twatted my ACL (probably about 80% gone) 20 years ago. Once I got it prpoerly diagnosed, I got a titanium brace (can't find it, and can't remember the make, may have had 'Edge' in the name) whic I used for 3 seasons. The brace had a specific strap to compensate for the ACL (they did a different model for the PCL), I got it professionally fitted, and found sometimes took some twaeking to feel right (I probably got to a point where 70% of days it felt right from the start, 20% I got it right after some fiddling, and 10% it never quite felt right). I'd still ski if it didn't feel right, but maybe not quite so aggressively. I'm pretty sure the 'feeling right' was about exactly how it sat on my knee, but may have been influenced by how strong my knee was feeling.

After 3 years I weaned myself off it, which was mostly a mental thing. The 3 reasons to stop using it were: a) beacuse I didn't want to depend on it, b) the annoyance of the days when it didn't 'feel right', c) it'd be an encuumbrance when touring. It took a couple of days of gentle(ish) skiing trying to dial down the hypersensitivity to anything slightly odd, but afte that I wa fine without it. The big caveat with this is I always spend 4 to 6 weeks specific strength. balance and plyometric training before each season to be confident my knee and muscles will be as ready as they can be.

So, my main point is that I think a brace is mostly a psychological help (and probably more so for LCL or MCL as I'm not sure any brace gives specific protection for these), but that's not to belittle it. For me it was well worth the ~£600 I spent for the 3 years to get me to a point where I could do without it.

A thoughtful and considered reply. Thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold wrote:
Not sure it is wise to be wrestling sweaty men in pajamas at 45yo.

Braces don't stop knee deterioration.

They just postpone it.

Give up the JJ and save the knees for skiing.

The 49-50 weeks of wrestling in (and out!) of pyjamas is what keeps me in shape for the 2-3 weeks of skiing! I think the secret at my age and above is never stopping exercising.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@greengriff, I think the secret at my age and above is never stopping exercising.
I could not agree more!

Viv - yes an excellent point - thank you
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well they have arrived. Having put them on I honestly cannot see how they actually do anything at all!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@greengriff, are they the right size?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes indeed. I can get them to fit perfectly. I'm probably being a little harsh actually - they might well take the edge off of a hyperextension or an impact/fall that tries to bend the knee joint sideways, but I don't think that they would make any difference to an over rotation of the knee. I'm going to have to try them out on skis and see how they feel.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@greengriff, Please keep us (me in particular) updated.
Happy new year to you
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a couple of things I've noticed: my leg is fully locked out (i.e. hyperextended) slightly before the hinge reaches the end of its travel. Ideally I'd want it to be the other way around. I can bend the hinges laterally with my hands (and I'm not especially strong). I'm reasonably sure that I could break them with my hands if I wanted to, which doesn't bode that well, as I doubt that I could break someone's knee sideways with just hand strength, so I'm dubious about how much lateral protection that they would give. I mean I might be wrong - I am not going to try to break them for obvious reasons, and they might be stronger once they get past the initial amount of give.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@greengriff, I will give you my knee history which I reported here before...

I am now 72 and normally ski many times a year. My name comes from having been a world cup mogul ski judge, retired about 3 years ago but still try to ski bumps.
I started wrecking my L knee aged about 30 when playing with my children. I had 2 partial tears in the ACL over about 5 years from which I recovered with exercise. Then I started skiing and had 2 more incidents which were variously diagnosed as torn hamstring then MCL tear and complete PCL tears. I was advised to get a brace as 'otherwise you will not walk if you do more damage'. I bought a Cti and had it fitted by the physio at the clinic. That was in the 1990s and allowed me to continue skiing. After a few years I had a major crash while wearing the brace and ruptured the ACL which I had repaired aged 55. 9 months of rehab and I was back skiing again, including bumps. I can cruse on a blue without the brace but have to ski gently as its only the ACL which had been repaired. With brace I can ski anything. In 2008 I had a tibial plateau fracture but just a hairline crack where the ACL repair was attached. Two more incidents since then, one skiing and the other dancing, giving me 2 meniscus tears. These were surgically cleaned up almost 3 years ago.

I renew parts of the CTi from time to time (straps etc) but its my life saver which allows me to ski and do things like Scottish country dancing which also puts possible twists on the knee. For swimming and hillwalking I wear a neoprene support which gives me the stability I need. This was advised for swimming by my physio to reduce lateral pressure on the damaged knee. Always use walking poles for hillwalking such as half way to Everest Base Camp in 2019.

So the £400 I spent on the CTi was absolutely worth it. Only 3 seasons to go and I should start getting lots of free ski passes in the big French resorts - so far only had the free one in Andorra last January.

Hope my story helps. Keep skiing - you are a youngster!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's very interesting, thank you. It might well be a case of getting what you pay for - the Mueller was only £60ish.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@greengriff, another comment from your last post.
You say you think you could break your brace with your hands but not break someone's knee sideways. Several years ago I was threatened by an axe man - not injured but very scary. Later someone who was ex US marines advised me how a woman can defend herself against attack by a man. You kick the inside of one of their knees sideways outwards. This should rupture their knee ligaments and they will not be able to run after you. Not sure how accurate this is and hope I never have to try it. Having done so much damage to my left knee I know how easy it is!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, knees are easily injured, but a leg delivering a kick is many times more forceful that my hands can exert on their own. Not to derail the thread, but I would think that the best defence against an axe is distance - and the more of it the better! I'm not sure that I'd try to kick an axe man unless I literally had no choice, as if you are in kicking range then they are in 'axing' range! Anyway, hopefully that was a once in a lifetime experience for you. Glad you lived to tell the tale!
snow conditions
@mogulski, would be interested in your views in the CTi, if it's the same one as I looked at. The one which I tried on had just a pretty small pad at the lateral and medial joint line, then long hinge plates either side (attached to leg with Velcro straps), but nothing actually wrapping around the knee or leg; an exoskeleton, if you like. Is this the same? For me, it felt as if it would offer no support at all; the pads hardly even touched the skin, never mind pressed (tho' apparently was the right size) How does it help you? (I also have ACL and other damage, pain, stiffness etc.)
snow report
My CTi is great and holds my knee preventing any lateral movement which I find really useful for both skiing and Scottish dancing. My brace is now many years old but fits well. There are 4 velcro straps and carbon fibre hinged plates at the sides. My knee is fine for normal walking but because some ligaments are stretched I could damage more if it twisted. The brace came with various thicknesses of pads which can be changed depending on how much the knee is swollen and clothing worn. When I bought it the instruction was to wear it next to the skin but I found this rubbed when doing activities. They now make a thin sleeve to wear which I did buy but it is held by elastic and does slip and cause irritation. For skiing I wear mine over thin thermals. I find the velcro straps need to bed in to the tightness you need. When I replace any of them it doesn't fit so well for a couple of days until everything settles in but now I forget I am wearing it.
You need to adjust which pads are fitted at the knee so it just fits in without movement. Then start strapping up the velcro. I tend to fasten the straps then flex my knee and re-adjust any so it feels secure. As I said in previous posts I can ski moguls with it on and my knee feels fine but would not consider that without it. Once it got parted from me in luggage for a day and I had a few runs on a blue slope but could feel the knee wasn't stable - I was out judging a world cup mogul comp at the time so it was just a few runs after the comp. Brace arrived the next day and I could ski properly. I know some of the Freestyle Team also have CTi braces if they have had knee damage - not all need it but some do. Landing big airs puts lots of pressure on a damaged knee. The latest model is smaller than mine but I don't see the point in paying out for a new one when mine works! I have had over 20 years from this one and would need to be well into my 90s to get 20 years from a new one!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy