Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Expensive knee braces. A waste of money?

Poster: A snowHead
So. I have two sports that I love - skiiing and jiu jitsu, both of which can be very hard on the knees, and both of which I'd be miserable as sin if I couldn't participate in. I recently injured my knee (torn LCL) doing jiu jitsu (just in time for ski season - ho hum) and whilst I'm recovering I'm pondering knee braces as a form of insurance for skiing. Specifically these two:

https://www.ossurwebshop.co.uk/cti-knee-braces/cti-ots-knee-brace-knee.html

https://www.physioroom.com/product/Donjoy_Armor_Fourcepoint_Hinged_Knee_Brace_ACL_Ligament_Knee_Support_Post_Surgery_Rehab/3108/38207.html

Now I know they're expensive, but if they actually work then I'd consider them good value. However that's the pertinent question: If they are simply attached by being velcroed around soft tissue, how much protection against knee movement in unwanted directions (specifically twisting and lateral) can they actually provide? Surely under sufficient force they would just dig into the soft tissue, or the leg would simply twist inside the straps?

Anyway, what I'm looking for is feedback from anyone who has used either product (or an equivalent from another manufacturer) or who has sufficient expertise/experience to answer the question. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm no doctor but if your ACL is okay why consider an ACL brace? Is your LCL fully ruptured? I have duff knees and ski a lot (full time instructor) and always found a compression sleeve highly useful to manage swelling and keep the knees warm. Bioskin offer a good range as do others. I do know a few full time skiers who have fully ruptured ACL's that like a hinged brace as per your links you list for the stability it provides. My right ACL was lightly torn and finally went a few seasons ago and I just used a compression sleeve as I didn't like the feeling of the lateral brace.

I would work in rehabbing and strengthening as until you can do the moves and exercises in the gym you are going to struggle in the mountains on skis. A brace can help as an adjunct to training and perhaps try both ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Having suffered terrible injuries participating in sports over the years (including a broken neck and broken ribs) that have caused me a lot of pain and cost a lot of money to attend to I'm of the view that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I only get to ski a couple of times per year and if a brace could give me - say - a 30% increase in the likelihood of walking away from a situation uninjured, or a 30% reduction in the severity of an injury then I would consider it a worthwhile investment.

I'm in excellent shape for my age (45) and attend the gym approx. 5 times per week to participate in intense physical activities such as kickboxing or wrestling. However I definitely feel a negative difference compared to my younger years in the amount of aches and pains I feel, the amount of time it takes to recover, and my peak output levels. My goal is nothing special - it's simply to be able to continue doing the things that I love into old age. I don't mind parting with some cash in pursuit of that, but I don't want to be wasting it on snake oil or ineffective solutions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't answer for myself but a friend has the same issue (karate rather than jiu jitsu though). He's spent a fortune on knee braces, from cheap to eye wateringly expensive fitted by an expensive sports physio on the recommendation of a private surgeon. He rates them all as useless for skiing (and worse for karate). The only thing that's worked for him is a ski Mojo. He can now put in a full week of relatively hard skiing without having to give up after 3-4 days.

Edit. He'd probably sell you the expensive one at a dramatic discount if you're interested Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@greengriff, again personal opinion but I would see a physio and get them to prescribe both some strengthening/mobility exercises and determine an appropriate brace. As you work out so much I would think doing both would get you great results on your ski holidays. Just trying out various braces might be as effective. Don't get me wrong I am all for braces but perhaps your first investment should be in professional advice from a physio, then several hundred on a brace could be money well spent. Good luck, I just finished a physio session for my knees so a timely discussion !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@greengriff, I ruptured an ACL afew years ago and had been skiing with Ossur braces until I replaced them with Ski Mojos a year ago. Since they are supported on both sides of the knees they offer very little side to side bending which I approve of. The soft tissue does give way a bit but not enough to cause any further damage to the knee. I also had them set so that they attempted to push the lower leg outwards taking pressure of the inner knee compartment that was suffering a lot with oestoarthritis. In fact the double sided approaches works much better than the single sided one prescribed to me on the NHS

In normal skiing (ie when you can see what's coming up and the leg muscles can act to protect the leg) they offer little but when the unexpected occurs thay really did help. Let me explain: first of all I could live fairly normally with a ruptured ACL but wet grass could be a nightmare when the lower leg slipped sideways and bent sideways by painfull amount (somewhere around 30 degrees). Sometimes a similar thing would occur on snow. Secondly, with the braces I had a few accidents skiing where the leg could have hyper extended or been twisted at the knee and the braces prevented this. I know they took a lot of force because I felt it and it left bruises where the straps were. If the force was great enougth to cause bruises 20cm above and 20cm below the knee then the moment on the knee itself would have been excessive if I wasn't wearing braces.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@greengriff, I should have mentioned that both my braces were fitted by a professional physio. I would not reccomend just buying them on the internet and adjusting them yourself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys thank you - these are excellent replies. I'd never considered the ski mojo, as I assumed it was for older skiers to use to offset the effects of the decline in muscle power that comes with age. I've just looked at their website and it does seem that it might be able to do what I wanted the braces to do, and at about half the price. It certainly deserves a closer look. In the meantime, if you have any more thoughts then please let me have them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@greengriff, opinion on those who I have talked to who have used the mojo's seem to be quite divisive. A couple people I know who are decent skiers but have ligament problems hated the "spring loaded" feel of them but a few with arthritis like the relief they provide. They also seem to help if you are overweight, or tend to ski in the "back seat".
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are spending that much on a knee brace, I would not go off the shelf.
Don Joy do custom ones for not much more.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I ruptured my ACL in 2004 (IIRC) and had it fixed shortly thereafter. The knee got bad again (not sure why) in about 2012ish. A top quality knee brace (made by https://www.asterisk.com ) made the difference between me skiing and not skiing that winter but ultimately taking up cycling and gym work made the most difference to getting my knee back to as good as it's likely to get.

Not sure of your skiing level, but IMO the best thing most people can do to protect their knees is spend some money on lessons. You can still get unlucky if you have good technique but the thing that puts the most stress on your ACL is trying to muscle your skis around turns while having your weight far too far back.

I'm not convinced braces are a great preventative measure and the surgeon and physio post operation were very keen to get my knee strong enough that I don't need a brace. I don't use a brace now, but I've kept my asterisk just in case I have a relapse and there is skiing which must be done
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used a hinged knee brace (not as burly as those) skiing again after ACL reconstructions on both knees. Gave an extra level of security for the first few weeks. No idea if it was medically beneficial or not but felt like extra support in twisting motions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again.

Looking at the ski-mojo site I'm now torn;

1. I'm not looking for muscular 'assistance' when skiing. I really enjoy working my muscles and getting tired. The physical interaction with the skis and the terrain is part of the appeal of skiing for me. The pitch makes it sound like it turns skiing into a video game - like detached experience. Maybe in 20 years I will change my mind on this lol
2. It looks to be a bit of a pain in the rear to get on and off. I don't need any more fuss of a morning than I already have when getting myself and my kids ready.
3. Ironically it looks like it might actually provide more protection against unwanted twisting and lateral movements of the knee than would a dedicated knee brace!
4. A set is half the price of a quality brace.

Maybe I should just buy it and use it 'switched off'?! Ho-hum. Decisions decisions.

Please keep the replies coming - especially as regards to my original question about how protective dedicated braces actually are.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ruptured my ACL in early January 2019. I’m a similar age to the OP.

I took the intensive physio approach over an operation, which has been successful so far; I was back hillwalking by late May 2019, mountaineering in the Pyrenees in July, running in August, and skiing (including offpiste and touring in tricky snow) by December - all alongside a lot of strength, balance, core, and flexibility work in the gym/ at home.

My physio is very experienced with skiers - she toured with various UK Alpine racers on the circuit for a few years - and encouraged me to do loads of physio rather than rely on a brace. I also took several lessons last season to improve technique. This has all worked well for me and I’d take this route again if/ when necessary.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you. Out of interest do you think that if you were wearing a protective brace that you would have ruptured your ACL in the first place?
snow report
Lindsey Vonn skied with a knee brace, not a ski mojo.
snow report
Try one. Might help your knee, might help your head (I would have said "mojo", but that was already taken!), and they are of course connected. Its a win either way with the only downside being the cost.
ski holidays
@greengriff, There is a big discussion on skimojos on snowheads that will hopefully help you make a decision about using them. My experiences are:

1/ They are expensive
2/ Though there may be some latteral support, they are not knee braces
3/ With oestoarthritis they take a load of the knees and ease the pain considerably.
4/ They are fiddly to put on and click into and out of walking mode
5/ Initially I felt I was squatting lower than usual. However, I was told that my posture was fine, perhaps better than before (I've always tended to stand too upright)
6/ I was able to ski the whole day without taking any pain killers. Very Happy
7/ I used to hate washboards - dread them in fact. Now I just bend my knees more and sit on the bum band and fly over them.
latest report
Quote:

I beleive they are banned for racing
latest report
greengriff wrote:
Thank you. Out of interest do you think that if you were wearing a protective brace that you would have ruptured your ACL in the first place?

I think I’d have broken my leg! ACL injury was caused by hitting a tree stump at speed in deepish powder.
snow report
Inboard wrote:

I think I’d have broken my leg! ACL injury was caused by hitting a tree stump at speed in deepish powder.

Thank you. I think I'd rather have a broken leg than a snapped ACL though!
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I beleive they are banned for racing

Strangely both Donjoy and Ossur claim to be officially endorsed by nation ski teams.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@greengriff, There is a big discussion on skimojos on snowheads that will hopefully help you make a decision about using them. My experiences are:

1/ They are expensive
2/ Though there may be some latteral support, they are not knee braces
3/ With oestoarthritis they take a load of the knees and ease the pain considerably.
4/ They are fiddly to put on and click into and out of walking mode
5/ Initially I felt I was squatting lower than usual. However, I was told that my posture was fine, perhaps better than before (I've always tended to stand too upright)
6/ I was able to ski the whole day without taking any pain killers. Very Happy
7/ I used to hate washboards - dread them in fact. Now I just bend my knees more and sit on the bum band and fly over them.

Did they make you feel more 'detached' from the experience of skiing? I.e. less feel of the terrain through the skis, less vibration etc?
ski holidays
@greengriff, I can see them being used during practice
latest report
@greengriff, I had a complete rupture of the PCL .grade 2 rupture of LCL and MCL . doctor said no operation why invite trouble .PCL remains ruptured .
I did all the physio and use a ossur leg brace . Skiing . Played cricket and golf without one .
In my haste to gat on the early morning powder I once went out without the brace . I was a nervous wreck without It . Skied the pistes no powder ,knee was sore without it .
I would def use. Brace of some kind whatever works for you , protection from other skiers bashing your knee is a primary reason .
latest report
johnE wrote:
@greengriff, I should have mentioned that both my braces were fitted by a professional physio. I would not reccomend just buying them on the internet and adjusting them yourself.

This - Wife blew her ACL and landed a tibial fracture in the process. Used Firstaid4Sport to fit and supply what turned out to be a custom brace for her. Is it a 'Magic Rock'? Dunno. But it's kept her skiing confidently after a nasty injury so how it that any different than well fitted ski boots, or new skis?
snow report
vipul wrote:
@greengriff, I had a complete rupture of the PCL .grade 2 rupture of LCL and MCL . doctor said no operation why invite trouble .PCL remains ruptured .
I did all the physio and use a ossur leg brace . Skiing . Played cricket and golf without one .
In my haste to gat on the early morning powder I once went out without the brace . I was a nervous wreck without It . Skied the pistes no powder ,knee was sore without it .
I would def use. Brace of some kind whatever works for you , protection from other skiers bashing your knee is a primary reason .

Yikes! Even reading that makes me shiver. Thanks for the input. I presume you used the Ossur CTi? How do you find it comfort-wise?
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
johnE wrote:

This - Wife blew her ACL and landed a tibial fracture in the process. Used Firstaid4Sport to fit and supply what turned out to be a custom brace for her. Is it a 'Magic Rock'? Dunno. But it's kept her skiing confidently after a nasty injury so how it that any different than well fitted ski boots, or new skis?

Indeed. Who manufactured her brace?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Did they make you feel more 'detached' from the experience of skiing? I.e. less feel of the terrain through the skis, less vibration etc?

No, not at all
snow report
@greengriff, ossur Cti is comfortable if a bit bulky
snow conditions
@greengriff, I use a Mueller Hg80 Hinged Knee Brace (important the word hinged is in there, as the Hg80 range is extensive). Fraction of the cost of a Donjoy, for most of the benefit (be that real or placebo).
ski holidays
I now ski in knee supports on both knees. Just a patella stabiliser in the one and a hinged mueller one on the other. I will look up which ones if you would like? However both suggested by the physios after surgery’s on the knees. My knee which I used the hinged brace in only has half a reconstructed ACL left.
snow report
@greengriff, IIRC its a Donjay, but built out of 2 separate ones - the structure off of one brace due to sizing and the hinges off of a more advanced one for the better quality and the resistance control.
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:
@greengriff, I use a Mueller Hg80 Hinged Knee Brace (important the word hinged is in there, as the Hg80 range is extensive). Fraction of the cost of a Donjoy, for most of the benefit (be that real or placebo).

This is my hinged on as well.
ski holidays
Thank you all. The Mueller looks like excellent value compared to the others.
latest report
This looked like another potential alternative to the Mojo, however I've been unable to find a UK guide price. I think most of their sales are via health insurance.
https://springloadedtechnology.com/product/levitation-knee-brace/

Having used a couple of iterations of Mojos over a period of time I found the extra effort required for retraction / absorbing bumps means I would regularly switch them off.
snow report
That's a very interesting comment. I guess there cannot be a free lunch, and if ski mojo absorbs some of the force that gravity transmits through the knee joint when it's bending the leg then it's also going to absorb some of the force your muscles can put through the joint when you deliberately want to bend the leg, requiring more effort for the same result.
snow report
To be fair part of my problem was solved by adjusting the assistance to a very low setting. I think the Mojo had some benefit for me early on but now I'm looking more for protection from shock rather than muscular assistance.
ski holidays
That's what I want (injury protection). I don't (yet) require any help with the movements of skiing.
latest report
@greengriff, Mrs Sideways here - my brace is the Donjoy fourcepoint hinging out of what I assume was the Fullforce Knee Brace fitted inside the sleeve of a Playmaker II Wraparound Knee Brace and this was done with the help of the guys at FirstAid4Sport. The Fullforce at the time had hinges that could be removed, doesn't look like they can now, this was 3 years ago. The reason for the adjustment was at not much over 5 foot, the fixed frame of the bigger brace went uncomfortably far up my leg and affected the boot fit too as went too far down my calf where as the playmaker was a smidge shorter. I have the hinges that were in the playmaker and they look like they are not as strong as the fourcepoint hinges. Apart from skiing, I tend to wear the brace in the evenings after skiing as it helps with not resting the knee at a comfortable angle. Is it more psychological than physiological benefit, who knows but it makes me feel better!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy