Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas Skiing - Just the facts

Poster: A snowHead
Handy Turnip wrote:
Latest announcement from the prime minister of Andorra is that ski resorts will be able to open from the beginning of January - however they are still waiting to confirm the exact date.

I saw this morning that December accounts for 30 per cent of Andorra resorts' turnover.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a useful thread. Thanks. Is there any update on Italian resorts? Friends in the Kronplatz area seem to think lifts will be open from Thursday 7th January
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is talk of American moving into lockdown when Joe Biden takes over (from the Guardian)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This could help, cant vouch for how correct or up to date it will be kept but gives an indication of restrictions and more importantly has links to the source of the info

https://www.skyscanner.net/travel-restrictions?is_banana_referral=true
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had an email from Crystal ski today cancelling our Christmas trip to Finland
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Switzerland remains open for domestic tourism. Potential that ski resorts could close from 22 December - they will need a permit to operate from their cantonal authorities based on the virus situation. Capacity in enclosed spaces (trains, gondolas etc) to be reduced. Another review next week so things could change again

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-81477.html
Ski areas can open if case numbers are falling
Ski areas should be allowed to open for domestic tourism. Where the epidemiological situation is critical, measures must first be taken to allow it to improve. From 22 December, ski areas will require a permit from the cantonal authorities in order to operate. The prerequisite is that the epidemiological situation so allows, and that hospitals, contact tracing services and testing sites have sufficient capacity. Ski resort operators must also put in place strict precautionary measure plans that reflect the national standardised requirements. The aim is to prevent the virus from spreading in tourist destinations.

Ski areas themselves are not subject to capacity restrictions. However, from 9 December only two thirds of maximum capacity will be permitted in all closed forms of transport, such as trains, gondolas and cablecars. This applies to seating and standing room.

Face coverings must be worn when queuing for and travelling on all forms of transport, including drag- and chairlifts, and distance must be maintained when queuing. Guests at restaurants in ski areas will only be allowed inside the premises if there is a table available. The current rules continue to apply to indoor and outdoor areas: customers must be seated with no more than four people per table, with the exception of parents and their children.

The cantons have a duty to monitor compliance. If significant problems arise, ski resort operators will be issued with a warning. If the situation is not rectified, the permit must be withdrawn. The cantons must also provide a report to the federal authorities on the number of checks carried out, the number of warnings issued and permits withdrawn, as well as on hospital capacity.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Re: Switzerland, just a little footnote to the point about non UK/EEA nationals being unable to enter. You can enter if you are not a UK national but you are married to one. This is my case, I'm a US citizen living in the UK and married to a British citizen.

I spoke with the Swiss Embassy in London and they explained that the UK is a "high risk" country for Covid so in the simplest sense no one is allowed to enter Switzerland from the UK. However, since EU citizens enjoy a right to free movement, as long as the UK is in the EU (that is, until 31 Dec), UK citizens *and their immediate families* can enter Switzerland anyway. The Embassy couldn't tell me what would happen after 31 Dec.

This can't affect many people on Snowheads, but I thought I'd mention it as it did affect me!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Balkan Holiday are selling Slovenia holidays from Mid January
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Switzerland - travellers from the UK are NOT on the list requiring 14 days quarantine on entry.

From the CH government website:
“Criteria for the list
The new infections per 100 000 inhabitants over the past 14 days are examined to determine whether a country or an area has an increased risk of infection, If the incidence in a country is at least 60 higher than the incidence in Switzerland, the country will be added to the list”.

The UK’s rate is 331 and falling, Switzerland’s 595 and falling.

(Austria 715, Italy 590, Sweden 683).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m planning on a short pre-Christmas trip to the Dolomites (val Gardena Area) in the December window of unrestricted travel. It is possible to stay in hotels between 10th and 20th and most hotels are open and taking bookings. Although no lifts will be open so skiing will be out, I’m looking forward to hiking, snowshoeing and having a go at cross country skiing. The Val Gardena website is very encouraging...

“With more than 40 centimetres of fresh snow Val Gardena has turned into a magical winter wonderland recently. On 7 January 2021 the lifts and ski runs in Val Gardena and the Sellaronda will open. Accommodation facilities, restaurants/bars and shops can already open from now on. We invite you to check the current online availability, which is continuously updated in real time. Please note that there is a travel restriction between 21 December and 6 January 2021. Our offer has been expanded and boasts guided winter and snowshoe hikes, ski tours, and more amazing activities in the ‘Val Gardena Active’ programme. A good 115 km of well-groomed cross-country slopes and 30 km of winter paths and trails are waiting for you.“

This will all be negative-Covid-test permitting which I now believe has to have been taken no more than 48hours before arrival and assuming my flights aren’t cancelled. As a family we’re happy to put up with the quarantine once we get back and will probably use the bed UK test to release scheme. Perhaps we’re mad for trying to still go but I’m not ready to give up yet!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bit more on Norway, a few “restrictions” basically dont share lifts except when with family groups.

https://fnugg.no/artikler/corona-measures-in-norwegian-ski-resorts/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It says this about Andorra for those that want to go there

“International travel
In order to travel from Andorra via France, where travel restrictions are in place from 9pm until 6am, you must complete a travel certificate online. You can find further details, including the limited exceptions to curfew in France on the French government website.

In order to travel from Andorra via Spain, where travel restrictions in the Region of Catalonia are in place from 10pm until 6am, you will need to complete a travel certificate online. You can find further details, including the limited exceptions to curfew in the Spanish Region of Catalonia online”
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bulgaria update - Bansko is opening on the 17th, Pamporovo on the 19th, Borovets - no date yet, but before Christmas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spain - Some Catalonian ski resorts already open but at reduced capacity. No quarantine on arrival but negative PCR test required if arriving by plane or boat (not required if driving into country). Catalonia regional borders currently shut over evenings and weekends but there are exemptions. Not completely clear what these exemptions are, however travel to an airport/port seems to be exempt.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Matt86C wrote:
Spain - Some Catalonian ski resorts already open but at reduced capacity. No quarantine on arrival but negative PCR test required if arriving by plane or boat (not required if driving into country). Catalonia regional borders currently shut over evenings and weekends but there are exemptions. Not completely clear what these exemptions are, however travel to an airport/port seems to be exempt.

Spains seems to be shut for skiers entering according to the TV news. People with skis in their cars being turned back at the border.
snow conditions
@davidof, not really surprising and I should imagine they get irritated by it too
snow conditions
Bansko opened today. Blue skies, about 25cm of fresh powder on a nice base. I hate my brother who is there at present... Toofy Grin
latest report
has there been anything official about France opening lifts from the 7th Jan?
snow report
kitenski wrote:
has there been anything official about France opening lifts from the 7th Jan?

I don't know about after but one of the ministers said "not before the 7th of Jan".
latest report
davidof wrote:
Matt86C wrote:

Spains seems to be shut for skiers entering according to the TV news. People with skis in their cars being turned back at the border.

Do you have a link with more information on that? Is this just French skiers being turned around at the border similar to what is happening on the Swiss border?
snow report
Norway update - direct flights from (but not to) the UK are banned up to and including 26 Dec. A decision will be taken that day on any extension of the ban into the new year.

Now just waiting for BA to officially tell us our outbound is cancelled, at least its better than me requesting a credit voucher.
snow report
With the new UK and South Africa plagues ripping thru Europe, it wouldn't be a surprise to see resort-openings (lifts) delayed until Feb or even Easter.
snow report
ster wrote:
Norway update - direct flights from (but not to) the UK are banned up to and including 26 Dec. A decision will be taken that day on any extension of the ban into the new year.

Now just waiting for BA to officially tell us our outbound is cancelled, at least its better than me requesting a credit voucher.

Sorry seems to be mis-info. I thought I read on a website that the ban had been extended to 26 Dec but it seems not, so flights are going to Norway now.

But there are still the restrictions on travelling in from UK at the Norway end so we are not going, flights now conveted to future credit voucher. I hope A) that we can go somewhere else soon, and B) BA are still in business.
ski holidays
@davidof Cairngorm shutting today for the foreseeable future

https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/cmsl-closure-statement/
latest report
ster wrote:
ster wrote:

Sorry seems to be mis-info. I thought I read on a website that the ban had been extended to 26 Dec but it seems not, so flights are going to Norway now.

But there are still the restrictions on travelling in from UK at the Norway end so we are not going, flights now conveted to future credit voucher. I hope A) that we can go somewhere else soon, and B) BA are still in business.

Turns out the flight ban was extended to 26 Dec, and now extended to 2 Jan and may get extended further - I’ve confirmed it on the Norwegian Govt website.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy