Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Covid Dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

So by now I would have booked my ski trip for next year but I don't feel I can.

I'm not particularly worried about what we will find when we get there, a lot of resorts seem to have put a lot of effort into doing the right things, however the issue for me is what happens when I return home. I will return to my wife and kids, and if I have to quarantine, they will too, which can't happen, going skiing with friends without them is being selfish enough!

However I don't think insurance will pay out if I have to cancel for this reason, after all I can still go on the holiday.

Anyone found a solution to this dilemma or any suggestions?

Cheers

btw Is anyone else convinced that they were taught to spell Dilemma as Dilemna?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosciosco wrote:

I'm not particularly worried about what we will find when we get there, a lot of resorts seem to have put a lot of effort into doing the right things, however the issue for me is what happens when I return home. I will return to my wife and kids, and if I have to quarantine, they will too

Actually that's not correct - you are supposed to quarantine yourself away from them too! I.e shut yourself away in one room of your house, only use the bathroom/kitchen/etc when they are not in it. So they can continue as normal, without catching any corona you bring back wink

Obviously that's not always practical or possible, but that's how it *should* go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As @clarky999, said, if you return you may have to quarantine. If you don't show symptoms then they don't have to. If you develop symptoms then they have to quarantine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kosciosco, have a covid party week before christmas and all spend the two weeks more or less holidays sick and quarantined?

Simples.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the only solution this season is not book anything and wait and see what happens - last minute go somewhere is only way I think
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris is correct. I would wait and see. At the moment if you were able to travel to the French alps and had an accident which requires critical care I'm not sure ending up in a local hospital would be a good idea. That's if they even have the capacity to accept you.

Things may look much better in the New Year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Slightly different dilemma. My son as some mocks first week back in the NY. I have a tunnel crossing booked Christmas week.

Option 1 - we go skiing as a family, we isolate for a week and son does mocks potentially (but highly unlikely) infected.
Option 2 - me and my daughter go skiing and the family is split for Christmas.

I'm not particularly keen on either as even though the risk is very low I don't like to break the rules and as much as I want to ski I'd rather spend Christmas as a family whatever happens.

But as the situation is so changeable I am not thinking about it too hard.

In your situation @kosciosco, I wouldn't go but that is just me. As others have said technically you could just isolate yourself. But I always find it hard to believe that works too well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Solution is simple. Abandon the ski holiday this year.

I normally do between 5 and 9 foreign holidays a year but I've not had anything booked since February and nothing at all booked for next year.

I could try to plan something in with various wheezes and contingencies etc, but it's just not worth the stress.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think the biggest issue is if you go skiing and UK government is still advising against all but essential travel, you may find your travel health insurance will not cover you. I know ours won't. Wouldn't fancy paying to be flown off a mountain by helicopter and all associated fees if the worst happened
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the government may be thinking of a shorter quarantine with test at the end of 5 days -or so I read in The Times this morning.

The bigger issue may now be how the resorts will manage opening when they don't know when and whether (in France) their lockdown will allow them, when and whether they should recruit staff-who cannot be magicked out of thin air; and when or whether the guests who aren't booking until the last minute (for perfectly sensible reasons) will actually come. That was certainly the picture Mr P was getting in St M last week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kosciosco wrote:
btw Is anyone else convinced that they were taught to spell Dilemma as Dilemna?

Nope, sorry, never heard of such a misspelling.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Regards quarantine, you do not have to isolate from other members of the household where you are quarantined. This is a myth encouraged by duff guidance. As this is relevant to us when we return home I checked the legislation. Other residents can live normally, and you can relate to them normally, you just can't go out (they can).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
absolutely pointless booking anything.
make plans for last minute.
no guarantee in what sort of capacity resorts will be open yet or where will be open!
last minute plans can be flexible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have cancelled 2 trips for 2021, even if we could do quarantine on return, which we can't, everything is just too fluid and changing every couple of days.

We have 2 options for 2021, book very short notice or not ski at all and at the moment the 2nd option is looking most likely
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
Slightly different dilemma. My son as some mocks first week back in the NY. I have a tunnel crossing booked Christmas week.

Option 1 - we go skiing as a family, we isolate for a week and son does mocks potentially (but highly unlikely) infected.
Option 2 - me and my daughter go skiing and the family is split for Christmas.

I'm not particularly keen on either as even though the risk is very low I don't like to break the rules and as much as I want to ski I'd rather spend Christmas as a family whatever happens.

But as the situation is so changeable I am not thinking about it too hard.

In your situation @kosciosco, I wouldn't go but that is just me. As others have said technically you could just isolate yourself. But I always find it hard to believe that works too well.

14 day quarantine is a legal requirement whether we like it/think it makes sense or not so you can not legally send your child into school 7 days after coming back from a country where travel restrictions apply. It would also not go down well with other parents who may have cancelled their own holidays due to the same issue.

My eldest (uni age) might not be able to come on our ski holiday due to the quarantine issue. Relatives have offered to have him to stay if the situation is such that we can go and he can't. However I am hoping that the government will replace 14 day quarantine with a shorter quarantine time plus test by the time the ski season starts.
ski holidays
Forget the rest of this year.

I can't see the restrictions being reduced anywhere in Europe before Christmas. If they do, every one will just party for 2-3 weeks, and in mid Jan, we will be back to square 1.

Most likely prospect for UK, would be to allow (limited) family groups to get together for Christmas. Clamp down hard on large gatherings/parties (Personally, I think everyone present should get a £1k fine, doubling for subsequent offences)

Maybe some shops, restaurants, hairdressers, etc. allowed to be open just before or during the holidays, but most of the Hospitality closed until the week after New Year.

Other European Countries likely to do similar.

That would suggest cases will be lowest in Jan, and best chance of getting anywhere. If rules properly applied, no reason for the remaining winter season not to go ahead
ski holidays
snowymum wrote:
14 day quarantine is a legal requirement whether we like it/think it makes sense or not so you can not legally send your child into school 7 days after coming back from a country where travel restrictions apply. It would also not go down well with other parents who may have cancelled their own holidays due to the same issue.

Politicians and the lawmakers have flouted the law so we may just use my common sense. That said it's an unlikely course of action. My main reason for even considering it is our mental and physical well being. Especially important for my son in his GSCE year. But ultimately I think he won't want to and we'll have to find other ways. To be fair he's not showing any signs of it affecting him thus far.

snowymum wrote:
It would also not go down well with other parents who may have cancelled their own holidays due to the same issue.

I'll take that on my head. Driving and self catering with I think it's actually 8 clear days before he is back in school, the risk is extremely low.

Ultimately I don't think we'll go unless it's legit but merely wanted to share with the OP a similar dilemma/thoughts.
latest report
brianatab wrote:
I can't see the restrictions being reduced anywhere in Europe before Christmas. If they do, every one will just party for 2-3 weeks, and in mid Jan, we will be back to square 1.

I think it's clear Government want to open things up for Christmas - even if they know it will bear a third wave in time. And like many I will use that window if it's given but at the same time minimising risk to those around us.

The big if I guess if the loosening of lockdown means travel to other countries. Not sure on that one. Head says maybe not. Difference in testing regimes and/or reduction in quarantine to 7 days may help.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy