Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not going skiing? What'll you do with the savings?

Poster: A snowHead
Seeing I use money I don't really have to go skiing, this year I may break even.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Since we make a substantial proportion of our income working ski seasons, for us it's more "what will we do for money?"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were just saying this morning, before I saw this, that we are very glad we no longer have our chalet as we are not having to pay the ‘rates’, water, electricity to keep it going, someone to keep the garden under control, and Cedric to clear the snow etc etc. We used to rent for two or three weeks in February which did help offset some of the expenses and kept it aired and heated. So I reckon we would have been doing that last season but I might be chewing my fingernails now.
I don’t think I have really saved much - I am using up a load of older clothes - and we have had a couple of weeks away, one in Devon and one in Pembrokeshire and ate out quite a bit then as I have got a little fed up with home catering for so many months on end.
We intend to keep our motor boat going over the winter and just come out for a few weeks, so wrapped up with hot soup or cottage pies in the oven will keep us going. Just not this week when it has been really crap weather.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is snowHead and nobody has said "more instruction" yet Puzzled rolling eyes

Bigger and better ski trips to come... Or a new bike... Or new skis... Or a camper van... Or...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobinS wrote:
Since we make a substantial proportion of our income working ski seasons, for us it's more "what will we do for money?"

You and many others, covid is killing the tourist industry the world round. I do hope you find something to see you through the winter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Paying the bills for the apartment I can't visit and that wont be rented out

Sad Yes, various comments here from apartment owners, along those lines. I'm not one, anymore, but can imagine how very frustrating it must be!

Quote:

I've ordered a turbo trainer

That's a positive move. I bought a rowing machine, some months ago, and am actually getting into it, and improving my CV fitness. I also have a personal trainer to keep me challenging myself, as I was getting far too inactive following my heart failure diagnosis. Currently focussing on balance, which has gone totally to pot. Currently can do that in a gym, but if we go back into lockdown I think I'll have the motivation to continue. The PT is quite expensive - but not as expensive as skiing! The rower is in my living room - various people have asked why it's not in the garage, but the answer's simple - the garage is a grotty mess and I'd probably never get on it! It's just a cheap rowing machine, and no beauty - a local friend has a rather lovely wooden one, but they cost over £2K - ten times as much as mine. Shocked

I drank probably too much wine during lockdown 1 and probably will in lockdown 2 - but at least I'll be able to tell myself I'm getting more exercise.

An obvious goal for lockdown 2 is tackling the grotty mess in the garage, maybe buying some new storage - but it's a mountain to climb, with lots of tat belonging to my lodgers, as well as myself, and I can see myself not getting round to it. Especially if it's impossible to get to the tip and charity shops are still tricky.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like to think I would use the "savings" on more time with guides, maybe a Warren Smith ski course, maybe justify another and longer trip to Japan in 2022- or is the start of the Heli trip slush fund???
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, a good point - it's not just (or "not even" in some cases) the cash savings, it's also the time savings.

Last lockdown, I painted all our fences (45L of paint), cleared out the garage, sorted out the garden and went running a lot, all when I'd otherwise have been skiing. We also bought an inflatable hot tub to replace a cancelled center parcs trip.

This time... I've saved up a lot of holiday in anticipation of 2020/21 skiing, which I'll now need to use in some other way. Fortunately, we've all got quite into cycling, so weather-permitting we might do some bike touring around the UK, if intra-country travel is allowed. However, winter vs summer is a challenge for DIY and cycling.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Planning a longer trip in 2022 but not convinced this mess will be passed by 2022,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Caribbean! If I really cant get skiing anywhere anytime Jan - April then the Caribbean it will have to be - presuming thats doable!
And as an absolute last choice alternative - short breaks away with my bike!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, L1 instructor course is booked for November.
Current ski plans were/are supposed to be, France January, Canada February, France long weekend for easter.

At best i'm hoping for the weekend at Easter. I had planned to do my L2 in March if Canada in February doesn't happen, but I think I might struggle to get enough shadowing/teaching hours in, as the local dry slope has said no due to Covid.

If we can't get away, I might do a learn to snowboard in a day jobby at a snowdome. Assuming I keep working towards instructor badges, i'll need a 2nd discipline for L3.

Assuming I don't get away all the money will just save towards next years holiday(s), and future instructor training I guess.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorting the garden ready to enjoy next summer and a motorbike project
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dippy wrote:
Caribbean! If I really cant get skiing anywhere anytime Jan - April then the Caribbean it will have to be - presuming thats doable!...
Costa Rica is accessible.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 29-10-20 15:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrNo wrote:
Paying off the mortgage as I'm imagining 20 years of monthly mortage payments being diverted into future ski trips instead of paying the mortgage Wink

Thinking of doubling down and booking locum work in the time when I would normally be skiing so I earn my usual salary, save the cost of the ski trip and earn more than my usual salary on the overtime Shocked

Stick the money into a low fee share tracker fund instead (though preferably not one totally tied to the UK until after brexit)... (Did this with refund for last years trip... only returned ~ 10x my mortgage interest over the same period...)

Worth checking this against the mortgage as a stocks + shares isa may be highly likely to return more than the mortgage interest (unless you look at the bottom of a collapse, the stock market has almost always returned ~4%+ a year... At worse you have to wait a year or two for it to recover (and at the moment we are in the collapse, so consider it will recover once we have a better handle on Covid...)

Also when skiing starts again you can liquidate shares to pay for more skiing at your leasure rather than having to wait for savings on mortgage payments Smile

However while the above may be responsible, I still thing spyderjon has some Altum 114s that clearly belong in my cupboard, a new bike sounds nice (though I have specific plans on a particular touring bike which is out of stock until next march at earliest) and if my weight loss plan lasts another month or two then I should hit my target weight and need a complete new wardrobe...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@qwerty360, that makes a lot of sense - well, the first bit does!! I'm just back from a boozy lunch with girlfriends at the sailing club - I felt more than ready to pay for more than my share of the vino, as it was me who called for the second bottle of rosé. Two of us were walking, the rest driving, so guess who drank the most! I reckon time - and money - spent keeping up with friends (near and far) is well spent, at the moment.
snow conditions
Drink
ski holidays
Sunk it in a trip to Barbados to see my Dad (he lives there) - we go next Thursday!

(To be honest that is the saving from not skiing at Easter)

Only committed £43.50 for my share of the Tunnel for January so that won't go a long way!!
ski holidays
1. Personal Trainer from the money saved on not going out. Only a couple of weeks in, but enjoying it, and intending to keep going for a while. It's also been sorely needed after lockdown indulgence/moping.
2. Rebuild my savings - I took the winter off to ski, and then didn't have a job to come back to once covid hit. Didn't start working again until end June, so the pot needs some serious work!
Maaaaaybe 3. a new bike, plus turbo trainer. I've been putting off getting a new bike for a while after my last one was stolen. But I do want to get back into cycling again... The gym and my stationary bike will do for now though.

I am hoping I'll get some skiing in - but it will likely be a lot less than I would have otherwise had.
latest report
Wine, women and song. Luckily I can't sing!
snow report
Diversifying interests a bit. We've been assisting in the set up of a members-run paddlesports club since initial lockdown was lifted. I bought another Red Paddle Co 10'6" board from one of the club members. Have done a FSRT (British Canoeing) safety course and a couple of weeks back I did a 2 day RYA Level2 powerboat course. I might follow that up with the Safety Boat qualification but the consensus seems to be "it's getting a bit cold for that one" as you do spend a fair bit of time in the water. We're going to continue our club sessions throughout the winter (unless Covid restrictions stop us) so Mrs g7 is now hankering for a drysuit. (I already have one, great bit of kit).

I might take a punt on an early bird Espace Killy season pass (which can be returned for a full refund if it hasn't been "activated" by use)

So we're continuing to dispose of our disposable income. wink
ski holidays
qwerty360 wrote:
DrNo wrote:
Paying off the mortgage as I'm imagining 20 years of monthly mortage payments being diverted into future ski trips instead of paying the mortgage Wink

Thinking of doubling down and booking locum work in the time when I would normally be skiing so I earn my usual salary, save the cost of the ski trip and earn more than my usual salary on the overtime Shocked

Stick the money into a low fee share tracker fund instead (though preferably not one totally tied to the UK until after brexit)... (Did this with refund for last years trip... only returned ~ 10x my mortgage interest over the same period...)

Worth checking this against the mortgage as a stocks + shares isa may be highly likely to return more than the mortgage interest (unless you look at the bottom of a collapse, the stock market has almost always returned ~4%+ a year... At worse you have to wait a year or two for it to recover (and at the moment we are in the collapse, so consider it will recover once we have a better handle on Covid...)

Also when skiing starts again you can liquidate shares to pay for more skiing at your leasure rather than having to wait for savings on mortgage payments Smile

All good advice but I am likely to be upsizing property in a year or two and so lowering the LTV is probably useful for better long term rates and knowing my luck, the year or two of potential recovery would be right when I needed the cash!

The comment was mostly aimed at the nice thought of all that money I currently spend on the mortgage being redeployed to nicer/more ski trips Very Happy
snow report
On the rocks wrote:
AVCs

Crikey, I didn't realise they made you pay for those
ski holidays
95% of my costs for this season are already spent on taxes, heating, flights, ski passes etc. The 5% saving I'll make from not actually going skiing would do little to cheer me.
latest report
If we can't ski, then I hopefully travel will be back on the cards by next autumn and we hope to travel to vietnam, I would rather the ski trip (s) though.
snow report
I still haven't writing of the season yet but I have foolishly signed up for a ironman next year so will need some kit for that.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
95% of my costs for this season are already spent on taxes, heating, flights, ski passes etc. The 5% saving I'll make from not actually going skiing would do little to cheer me.

Can't you get your flight cost back either via refund or insurance?
latest report
The Mrs has just the long wanted log burner installed in the living room, not the same as a week in Galtur/Ischgl but hey ho.
ski holidays
Keeping most of it in the ski fund ( had a really expensive chalet booked for New Year and my daughter’s 30th birthday....one off holiday) so hopefully can use that next year...maybe a cheaper chalet though Very Happy anykeft is going in my new kitchen fund...not that my husband knows that yet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finish paying for last seasons skiing.
latest report
abc wrote:
doddsie wrote:

I will probably get vouchers for the flights at some point, but the flights were so cheap that it was always worth the risk.
I’m still hoping that some miracle will happen and the French will open their resorts.
snow report
@musher wrote:

Finish paying for last seasons skiing.

+1
snow report
liposuction the way my waistline is going
latest report
With no skiing and several cruises and other holidays cancelled etc I have saved a fortune. Have worked a few more weeks locum work than I would normally do with cancelled holidays.

Bought a labrador puppy who has cost us a fortune with food/toys/crates damaged house and garden.

Could probably retire a year earlier and take the labrador somewhere for the season next year Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Claude B wrote:
@Charlieehr, the season hasn't actually started yet, Toussaint is just a bonus. Hopefully will be able to get enough days in during the winter and refund for last winter was fair.
LDA did a refund?! I have to decide today but seeing Les Gets didn't refund anything (and I haven't used the invites either last year) I think I'll pass. Despite still shelling out for our son's season pass (luckily at club price).

Somehow I think there won't be any saving this season, yet less skiing. I knew we should have headed to the Grande Motte in Tignes last weekend rather than the one in Herault! wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 1-11-20 1:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:
abc wrote:
doddsie wrote:

I will probably get vouchers for the flights at some point, but the
Quote:
flights were so cheap
that it was always worth the risk..

So your “saving” from not going isn’t much to speak of then...
latest report
Quote:

Could probably retire a year earlier

This is a cheerful thought. Using savings to reduce debts/build savings and be in a better shape to take advantage of future opportunities has to be a productive way to respond to the current disappointments.
ski holidays
Was planning on keeping the skills ticking over with some Hemel sessions and maybe even skis to practice there. But not sure that’s in prospect any longer Sad
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Could probably retire a year earlier

This is a cheerful thought. Using savings to reduce debts/build savings and be in a better shape to take advantage of future opportunities has to be a productive way to respond to the current disappointments.

Actually....thats exactly what I'm doing, although I have no debts. Roll on January
latest report
It's a really good move, @holidayloverxx. Since I've retired (ages now.....) I've had a lot less need, or desire, to spend money on expensive travel - because life seems like a fairly permanent holiday.
ski holidays
UK savings ratio for q2 2020 31.8% up from 7.9% in q1 2020 and up from 6.5% over the whole of 2019:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/timeseries/rvgl/ukea

I think on average people will pay off credit cards and save some money in a building society account which pays interest of 0.05%?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy