Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
Well said. Certain posters (and even Admin, I recall) seem to assume that only Guardianista political opinions are acceptable.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 31-01-21 19:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks mitcva .Many Brits frequent these messageboards, and have had to read about how bad its been to leave the beloved EU even after the majority of UK voted to leave.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The UK early response led us to from a .country with relatively few cases to having the highest rate in Europe.
Whilst Europe had locked down, the Cheltneham Festicaland and Crufts took place - Cummings citing herd immunity etc.

We 've done well with the vaccine as.Oxford led the way.
Let's not forget that tha manority of Scientific research in Oxford iver the past 20 years has beem funded by the EU.

Covid, lockdown and it's management over Christmas was totally about releasing information and directives so as to provide the biggest possible smokecreen to smother the Brexit deal release and protect Boris from his own ERG back stabbers.
The whole things has been a national disgrace
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@saintnickle, have you joined just to spout this dangly bits? There are many here fighting that cause already, in many cases far more intelligently than your initial efforts. All you're doing atm is reinforcing views that the average Brexiteer has a pitifully low IQ.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, that.

@saintnickle, must suggest, if you don’t like it round here, there is an easy solution ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And the Remainers wonder why they lost...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So, what about lockdown in France?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got a missive from Peak Retreats for next season. Tempting. But at what point this year will we know if France will be open for the 2021/2 season?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 31-01-21 19:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, exactly. No changes since those announced a couple of days ago. It's hard wink

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@saintnickle, you are welcome to spout whatever tripe you want about Brexit. You will not be the only one. But it would be courteous not to spread it over irrelevant threads. This thread is about lockdown in France, oddly enough.
Quote:

But at what point this year will we know if France will be open for the 2021/2 season?

There is a separate thread about next season - interesting speculation, but of course the only sensible answer at the moment is that "nobody knows".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saintnickle wrote:
pam w wrote:
Would you like to remove yourself and your thoughts to the Brexit thread, @saintnickle? This is an interesting and focussed one, to which many people who are actually in France or nearby, contribute.

Thats fine but dont allow your memebrs make snide remarks about the British govenments response to covid and Brexit when it suits .

The Brexit/spelling correlation is once again strong!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saintnickle wrote:
pam w wrote:
Would you like to remove yourself and your thoughts to the Brexit thread, @saintnickle? This is an interesting and focussed one, to which many people who are actually in France or nearby, contribute.

Thats fine but dont allow your memebrs make snide remarks about the British govenments response to covid and Brexit when it suits .

Well said
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
@saintnickle, have you joined just to spout this dangly bits? There are many here fighting that cause already, in many cases far more intelligently than your initial efforts. All you're doing atm is reinforcing views that the average Brexiteer has a pitifully low IQ.

You cant help yourself hurling insults .Im more intelligent than you .You dont know why you lost again.Everything ive posted is a fact.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
QED
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can I suggest a new candidate for a crevasse visit if the mods are awake this evening?
latest report
saintnickle wrote:
You cant help yourself hurling insults .Im more intelligent than you .You dont know why you lost again.Everything ive posted is a fact.

Hey Einstein the clue is in the title, look for something with "BREXIT" in it.
snow conditions
This Forum is fast being ruined by a recent influx of trolls. I fear that unless the mods start acting soon, old timers will start to leave.

Please excuse the thread drift!
snow report
saintnickle wrote:
Claude B wrote:

The thing is that you are off topic. Now that does happen quite a lot in sH, but it can spoilt the run of a thread. Moreover, there are strong feelings over Brexit - it's nice to take a rest from it. For example, Claude_B posts extremely interesting pics and comment over what's happening in his neck of the Alps, which I like to see. He and I see Brexit differently - but it's inappropriate to wind him up here. The Brexit Thread 2 in Apres is the best thread for you, I suggest. Everybody knows that if they enter that one, "there be dragons".
snow conditions
@achilles, that. Well said.
snow conditions
Is there some change to the French travel regulations coming? Verbier was crawling with French (and Germans and Italians) today.
ski holidays
My apologies, since I am one of those who responded above to discussion points on this thread without noticing how big the drift had become.

But I do value it continuing to do what it says on the label. Some of us optimists continue trying to read the entrails not just for what we might be allowed to do at the UK end, but whether there is a compensating relaxation feasible at the French end. This thread has provided important information from people on the ground in various resorts, and is valued for that.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Is there some change to the French travel regulations coming? Verbier was crawling with French (and Germans and Italians) today.

Nothing new except PACA residents need to quarantine on arrival.

Quote:
A compter du 1er février 2021, les voyageurs en provenance de la région Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur sont soumis par les autorités suisses à une quarantaine obligatoire même en cas de présentation d’un test négatif. Liste de toutes les dérogations à la quarantaine

As for skiing well it is NO butt erm MAYBE you can ski in Swissy

Quote:
Puis-je me rendre en Suisse faire du ski ?

Réponse : non, ce n’est pas recommandé, conformément au décret 2020-1624 du 19 décembre 2020, les personnes de retour en France en provenance des cantons des Grisons, du Jura, de Neuchâtel, d’Uri, du Valais et de Vaud, ne pouvant justifier à leur arrivée ni du motif professionnel de leur séjour dans cette zone ni du résultat d’un test ou d’un examen biologique de dépistage virologique réalisé moins de 72 heures plus tôt concluant à une non-contamination par le covid-19 pourront être placés en isolement par le préfet compétent.

so erm, no but yes you can really but in theory you need a negative PCR test to enter France. There are very few controls at present.
snow conditions
mitcva wrote:
But at what point this year will we know if France will be open for the 2021/2 season?

Who knows? How can anyone know?

While I know that some areas have now definitively decided that 2021 is a bust, there is (apparently) a small (trivial? vanishing? at the limit but still in the set of non-zero real numbers?) possibility that some of the bigger/higher areas may open if given the go ahead.

So given we don’t know for absolute sure even about next month, speculation about next year is at best idle, but probably pointless.
ski holidays
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/was-this-the-reason-macron-avoided-ordering-a-third-covid-lockdown-

??
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/was-this-the-reason-macron-avoided-ordering-a-third-covid-lockdown-

??

although some of the polls I've seen show it is retired people, especially those who have received their first vaccine, who want to get back to their social activities.
snow report
Definitely more people around this week judging by the various parking areas using those as a barometer.

Also seems to be many a group of students out and about walking around in groups of 10+ or so, so they must be staying in apartments/Gites etc

I think the next four weeks we'll see a lot of people visiting.

From the Connexion

Holidays will so far be possible across France this February - despite Covid - as there are currently no restrictions on movement between regions, although this “may still change”, ministers have said.

February holidays for schools in Zone A begin this weekend. Zone B will begin on February 20, and Zone C on February 13.

Junior Tourism Minister Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne told news channel BFMTV: “Today, going on holiday is possible. Today, there are no restrictions on movement between regions.”

This morning, delegate minister for housing Emmanuelle Wargon said: “For the moment, there are no restrictions on movement. Holidays can take place.”

Yet, ministers have been clear that the rules on travel may change in the near-future due to the constantly-changing health situation.

Ms Wargon said: “ Of course, our decisions change every few days, as the virus changes. Today, we have announced no restrictions for the school holidays, but as usual, things can always change.”

Mr Lemoyne said: “We are monitoring the health situation every day. The numbers will dictate what happens next. We will be extremely vigilant. If there is another lockdown, naturally everyone will need to stay at home.”

He called on the public to be responsible.

He said: “During this period, responsibility is in the hands of each person. The government has acted with confidence in collective responsibility [in not imposing a third lockdown yet].”

During previous lockdowns, restrictions have included not being able to travel further than 100km around your home. There has been no confirmation of whether this rule would be re-imposed on the country in the event of another lockdown.

So far, France has not chosen to impose a third lockdown, although the Health Minister Olivier Veran has said that the country will “not wait” to impose stricter measures if the health data demands it.

The government is set to hold a defence council meeting tomorrow, with the possibility of a third lockdown expected to be one of the topics of discussion.

And Macron has called a Conseil de défense Sanitaire - a meeting where top ministers, including the president, discuss coronavirus-related matters - for Wednesday (February 3).

It will be a brave move to introduce travel restrictions so late in the day, but you can't help thinking that's what should be done, but for the French, they just have to take their holidays regardless of the outcome, I presume no worse than the staycation back in the UK, but February Half Term is not just a big deal in the UK unlike here.
ski holidays
Lots of inferences in that, "yet, today, at the moment, will not wait........"
We'll see later
If he's going to impose a 3rd lockdown, he should've done it a week ago to give the tourists a chance to sort their holidays out...........
Cue anarchy
latest report
Thought I'd share this as some may not be aware of the actual figures, as you can see the trend is going up (22k Jan 1 26k Feb 1), with more daily cases than the UK now, so you can understand why people are questioning the strategy, all very familiar etc etc

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
love the way that that they clearly struggle to report sundays numbers, you would expect a small drop but not 80%
latest report
davidof wrote:
snowhound wrote:

??

although some of the polls I've seen show it is retired people, especially those who have received their first vaccine, who want to get back to their social activities.

round here it is very easy to identify the aged. no masks.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
.....round here it is very easy to identify the aged. no masks......

Well I find, as maybe a perceived aged person, tis fecking difficult wearing one when ski-touring Laughing
ski holidays
To support Weathercam's report I have been informed of a booking for my chalet for the 20th Feb.
It would seem the French are looking for a change of scenery even if the lifts are not open.
ski holidays
ajc2260626 wrote:
love the way that that they clearly struggle to report sundays numbers, you would expect a small drop but not 80%
If they were reporting by the hour, then there would be a 100% drop off between 12.00 and 14.00 daily.
snow conditions
@BergenBergen, 12.00 - 14.00 ??? have they cut their lunches to just two hours due to covid? Laughing
latest report
@ajc2260626, you're forgetting that shops have to close early now due to the curfew, but that still doesn't stop them closing for lunch for two hours rolling eyes

And if the snow-gods played ball by bringing the forecast 5-6hrs earlier on Saturday then the potential for snowmageddon would ensure some form of lock-down Laughing
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:
@BergenBergen, 12.00 - 14.00 ??? have they cut their lunches to just two hours due to covid? Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Anyone in Morzine, what's it like? Is there border hopping to Morgins and the like? That little pass would be very easy to police.

I have residency and a property to use out there so I'm allowed over if I want, by the current rules. Will cost a bomb, though, and French-side lifts are obviously all shut. 6pm curfew sounds horrendous, as well.

Would you guys go if you could?
snow conditions
Nice @Weathercam, though from a UK perspective France have done pretty well following that scare at the end of October. By contrast the UK controlled their lesser surge around the same time with a lockdown then immediately took off the brakes (especially in London, where hospitality re-opened) and cases rocketed four-fold in a month. Keeping it down to just a gentle increase when the weather is likely to favour transmission suggests they have done well.

The apparent weekend drop is at least a cause for gentle humour (thanks @BergenBergen) but I assume 7-day averaging generates more representative trands. (The same happens with UK death data; having learnt about death certification dealing with my mother it seems normal in hospitals for initial certificates to be reviewed by a second doctor before issue, and that counts as an administrative task to be done in regular weekday hours).
ski holidays
BergenBergen wrote:
ajc2260626 wrote:
If they were reporting by the hour, then there would be a 100% drop off between 12.00 and 14.00 daily.

ajc2260626 wrote:

Aaah, these lazy Frenchies...never working...2-3h/day max...always in for an aperitif.

Fun fact, GDP per capita is the same as in the UK. Laughing But that might change soon. I've heard Macron sees a great future in banking. Little Angel
snow report
Well back to my favourite subject, just to get @WindOfChange, going Laughing

Was out and about yesterday, and I'd guesstimate that 2 out of 3 cars, of which there were many on the road were from outside the area, and that was a Thursday and saw this in the Weather thread which might explain the influx.

polo wrote:
.....Some of the kids here are already on half term break from today.....the usual 2 week break is extended to 3 this year locally (with a few online lessons), so I expect the resorts are already starting to see a surge in visitors.......

The Cross Country trail yesterday and the parking was as busy as you'd see at a weekend.

And just like UK high season Summer hols, I can never figure out why people without kids choose to go on holiday at the busy times, as there were certainly a lot of couples out and about, maybe they'll go back today?

Have a good friend who is trying to get out Sunday, he was meant to be travelling today, but booked the wrong Thursday rolling eyes he has a number of apartments and is a gérant of a business so will he make it out, flying to Nice?

My French niece who lives in London and whose business is Flower arranging at major hotel venues has a number of contracts in France and is finding it tough to get out here for the work!

As for my OH she's waiting on the vaccine first which should be in the next two to three weeks and then who knows rolling eyes

And as an aside, people often asked why we like it out here even in the inter-season etc and we used to say that here we live in our own little bubble, hidden from mainstream life and all that goes with it etc, funny how bubble now has different connotations.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy