Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, absolutely she's lost loads of business in the last 2 years. 2020/21 COVID, 2019 Gilets Jaunes. She's only surviving as she owns her shop rather than renting it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink wrote:
BASI have issued a statement concerning the Covid-19 outbreak on the gap year course.
Quote"...we are not encouraging members to travel internationally to attend courses under the current restrictions."

If that's the case then the question is who has been encouraging people to travel internationally to attend courses, presumably that would be the organisers of the course, Peak Leaders?

BASI's statement also says that for "a BASI run course, our terms and conditions would entitle members to a refund; BASI has provided all members on BASI run courses that were impacted by Covid-19 with refunds when requested since the start of the pandemic in March 2020." One wonders whether the gap year course run by Peak Leaders also offered refunds to those who wanted to cancel due to the Covid-19 situation, the statement issued by them makes no mention of refunds being available.

Gap years are huge money earners ( 8900 pounds x 27 students) The organizers are not bothered about the rights and wrongs, money is all important

In Verbier they are running numerous courses at the moment its a huge gravy train for British ski schools
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would be interesting to know how many of these Gap Year vocational students actually go on and make a career out of skiing. Beyond maybe spending a few weeks "picking up babies" or a bit of instructing on dry slopes back in the UK I suspect very few. Equally it would be interesting to know, though we never will, how many are just treating this as an opportunity to get round the restrictions and do a bit of skiing for a few weeks.

For those that are genuinely trying to make a career of it I take my hat off to them and wish them all the best on what will be a tough journey. Back in the eighties, having attained the dizzy heights of level two, I did two seasons teaching in Italy and was made welcome by the local ski school. Such opportunities are going to be few and far between now with Brexit, Covid and an inevitable amount of antipathy towards the Brits. There will be a few that make it and they will probably be very good at their jobs. Because they will be there for all the right reasons and will have earnt it the hard way.

For those that are just there for a bit of a jolly; May they rot in hell!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jill t wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
BASI have issued a statement concerning the Covid-19 outbreak on the gap year course.
Quote"...we are not encouraging members to travel internationally to attend courses under the current restrictions."

If that's the case then the question is who has been encouraging people to travel internationally to attend courses, presumably that would be the organisers of the course, Peak Leaders?

BASI's statement also says that for "a BASI run course, our terms and conditions would entitle members to a refund; BASI has provided all members on BASI run courses that were impacted by Covid-19 with refunds when requested since the start of the pandemic in March 2020." One wonders whether the gap year course run by Peak Leaders also offered refunds to those who wanted to cancel due to the Covid-19 situation, the statement issued by them makes no mention of refunds being available.

Gap years are huge money earners ( 8900 pounds x 27 students) The organizers are not bothered about the rights and wrongs, money is all important

In Verbier they are running numerous courses at the moment its a huge gravy train for British ski schools

And BASI. Peak Leaders are being kept very busy deleting all the negative comments from their FB oage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
For those that are just there for a bit of a jolly; May they rot in hell!
Shocked I understand the sentiment but think that's a bit OTT...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55791389

absolutely zero chance of anything this season I suspect
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup, the rumours here is that we will be going into another lockdown for three weeks. We will find out for sure on the Thursday speech.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
everyone in Cham is convinced lockdown is coming imminently. We're heading out for what could be out last tour for a while tomorrow while we still can.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking likely according to John Lichfield quoting the Journal de Dimanche
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jill t, 9K is a lot to pay to get L2 qualified, or not, if you fail. I'm not sure there is much ROI there.
I'm not totally convinced by the "shadowing hours" they include on those courses but still 9K should include something for the money.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
@Jill t, 9K is a lot to pay to get L2 qualified, or not, if you fail. I'm not sure there is much ROI there.
I'm not totally convinced by the "shadowing hours" they include on those courses but still 9K should include something for the money.

For a level 2 it's a ridiculous amount of money and the shadowing is suspect especially during the current pandemic, I think more of a nod and a wink. Certainly they will be better skiers after the course an expensive way to go about, I suspect most on the gap courses are being subsidised by generous parents
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just heard that Macron is not going to make an announcement, and will now be in two weeks, but would not say my source, a Pyrenean Ski bum, could be deemed to be 100% Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:
my source, a Pyrenean Ski bum,

Jean Castex?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, another source has just said it will be from the weekend .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I suspect Prof Jean-Francois Delfraissy is a better judge.

France's top medical adviser said on Sunday that a third national lockdown would probably soon be needed to combat coronavirus in the country. A strict curfew was implemented last weekend, but cases continue to climb. Prof Jean-Francois Delfraissy, head of the scientific council that advises leaders on Covid-19, said "there is an emergency" and this week was critical. He called for swift government action, amid rising concerns about the spread of new variants of the coronavirus. Prof Delfraissy said data showed a new more transmissible variant first detected in the UK now makes up between 7-9% of cases in some French regions and will be hard to stop. He said the country was in a better situation than others in Europe, but described the new variants as the "equivalent of a second pandemic". "If we do not tighten regulations, we will find ourselves in an extremely difficult situation from mid-March," the advisor warned during an interview with BFM television. The French government is expected to meet on Wednesday to decide if further measures are needed.
snow report
Do any of the rumour mongers have any idea if the 1h 1km torture will be back? I desperately hope not!
latest report
@ldudley, I suspect so, it has been the case for the previous two. Thankfully the police were pretty relaxed here last time. Not sure they'd look kindly on the type of in resort touring which is presently happening though.
snow report
This guy has a few ideas wink

http://youtube.com/v/WJSEj9rMa0I
latest report
Claude B wrote:
@ldudley, I suspect so, it has been the case for the previous two. Thankfully the police were pretty relaxed here last time. Not sure they'd look kindly on the type of in resort touring which is presently happening though.

Lucky you, ours turned into pocket nazis with random road blocks on either side of the town, I think it was payback for the GJs.
latest report
Claude B wrote:

he's certainly hedged his bets. It looks very pretty whereever that is mind.

Plan 4. is to lock up the over 75s and let everyone else get on with things.
snow conditions
Laughing
snow conditions
Does Husky Dave work on the range during the summer? (Those are some mean cowboy gloves).
latest report
DB wrote:
Does Husky Dave work on the range during the summer? (Those are some mean cowboy gloves).

give 'im a dodgy mustache and he could be a goaly for Engerlund

latest report
Claude B wrote:

"Best snow for 5 years.." Sad Sad
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Claude B wrote:

"Best snow for 5 years.." Sad Sad

It's certainly good. Even dragging myself up to 2150m or so there is loads
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Just heard that Macron is not going to make an announcement, and will now be in two weeks, but would not say my source, a Pyrenean Ski bum, could be deemed to be 100% Laughing

The ski bum seems to have it right, lockdown from the 6th or 7th. But we have no idea what form it will take.

Or are they just toying with us? I think they trail these ideas then check social meejah to gauge reactions. Something they learned from the Brits I believe.

French have abandoned their own vaccine but will continue research into Covid with the idea of having a route to vaccine ready for 2022 in case the variants require their own vaccines.
snow report
davidof wrote:
....French have abandoned their own vaccine but will continue research into Covid with the idea of having a route to vaccine ready for 2022 in case the variants require their own vaccines.

Ski-bum said that as well Shocked
snow report
@Claude B, and I know I'm preaching to the converted with you Claude but an explanation of what Macron's "whatever it costs" policy costs a French mountain business

http://youtube.com/v/JxmvuKViU2U

there are autogenerated subtitles for those who need them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obvious here they're really struggling, open, not all but many, but pretty empty. A few rentals for touring kit, snowshoes, luges, the odd snowboard. A few sales, many stock more fashion items than ski gear, but not much.
snow conditions
That's Ludo from my local gear shop in Tignes Le Lac. I have a pair of new 2020/21 Head ski's sat in his office at Mountain Story that I was meant to collect the day after France locked down last March, but was obv unable to do so. I made contact to reassure him that I would still be buying them (he ordered them specifically for myself) when I returned in Dec for the new season......
Absolutely awful to see him looking & sounding like that. This highlights the grim reality of what effect these strict lockdown measures are causing in the bigger picture. Cure worse than cause syndrome ?
ski holidays
I was with a couple of friends last week, one who runs one of the largest resto/bars at the foot of one of the most popular pistes here in Serre Che and the announcement had just been made that lifts would stay closed, and she was really angry, my other friend has a Gite Hotel and a number of apartments.

I was getting quite frustrated listening to the bar/resto owner at how hard they work etc etc but that tends to be the two weeks Xmas/New Year & four weeks half term compare that to a similar establishment in any major city which is open all year, and then I explained how Cornwall stays open all year and all these establishments had the same issue so it's not unique to her!

Here I'm still surprised at how many people are about and scribed a little feature on the subject yesterday.
latest report
@Weathercam, there is talk of widespread civil disobedience if another lockdown is announced. A lot of restaurants saying they'll open from Monday. I think the latest cock up with the vaccine orders has been a bit of an epiphany although the country is roughly evenly split between confiners and deconfiners.
latest report
Understand Heliski season has opened on the Italian border if you can get there , I wish I could .
snow conditions
Some Europeans have already reached tipping point, e.g. in Holland
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/covid-restrictions-lead-third-night-rioting-netherlands-n1255631
ski holidays
@Weathercam, >I happened to have supper at friends 0.98km from chez moi. Joining us were two friends.....

Isn't this apparently breaking the most basic universal anti Covid prevention measure - not being too close for too long with people who are not living in the same bubble??
Swiss app calculation is based on more than 15 mins at less than 1.5m in any 24 hours.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
@Claude B, and I know I'm preaching to the converted with you Claude but an explanation of what Macron's "whatever it costs" policy costs a French mountain business

http://youtube.com/v/JxmvuKViU2U

there are autogenerated subtitles for those who need them.

Didnt see the subtitles on my phone but even my far from.perfect french it was pretty easy to pick up his general gist, we arent going to survive this unless we open or get help.
Looking at what's happening in Holland and also now some in Italy ignoring the rules I cant see another lockdown working unless every government pays to.keep everyone going, and they cant afford that, could be some serious showdowns in the next few weeks I fear, thank goodness it looks like the UK might be on a downward curve of infections and with millions getting the vaccine we might be lucky to avoid to much unrest.
latest report
Back to vaccines and French company Valneva is supplying 190 million doses of its vaccine to... you guess it, the UK !

What is the UK going to do with 190 million doses?

The French govt. didn't want to the EU to buy from Valneva because it wasn't the national champion of Pasteur/Sanofi. Now the EU are trying to do a deal with Valneva to obtain 60 million doses but the UK has priority.
latest report
@davidof, https://valneva.com/research-development/covid-19-vla2001/
""In September 2020, Valneva announced a partnership with the UK government for its inactivated COVID-19 vaccine, VLA2001. Under the agreement, if vaccine development is successful, Valneva will provide the UK government with 60 million doses in the second half of 2021. UK Government then has options over an additional 130 million doses, across 2022 to 2025. UK government is also investing up-front in the scale up and development of the vaccine.

In January 2021, Valneva announced it is in advanced discussions with the European Commission (EC) for the supply of up to 60 million doses of VLA2001.""

Just waiting for the EU to declare the investment illegal under state aid rules.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
@Weathercam, there is talk of widespread civil disobedience if another lockdown is announced.......

Well that's one thing the Frenchies love Laughing
snow conditions
@BergenBergen, thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy