Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France returns to lockdown

Poster: A snowHead
Can I ask a query re travel into France, knowing that this situation will change.

Currently, if I fly into Geneva from the UK I do not need a test to prove I am C-19 free. Can I then travel from Geneva into France (say to Tignes) and back to Geneva get on a flight to the UK without a test?

Not fussed about quarantine as such, but the test piece is the key.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FrediKanoute, right now? testing is a bit irrelevant as you aren't allowed to travel from GVA to Tignes ... From Dec 15th, as things stand, you could, but there aren't any lifts open.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
French Police at the Swiss border:

Police:Are you coming back from Switzerland?
Car Driver: Yes
Police: Have you been skiing?
Car Driver: No, just depositing some gold bars.
Police: Oh OK, you can cross!

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, Am I right in thinking that you could land at GVA and leave from the "French side" without having technically been in Switzerland? Or am I just being overly optimistic?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, in similar vein I sent a chum earlier this anecdote from yesterday, when he asked if the "confinement" was still in force,

Are the rules "in force"? Definitely.

Are they "enforcing" them? Hard to tell.

(My sis-in-law) went to Italy yesterday and was stopped by a French flic on the Italian side on the way back. Who then complimented her on how good her French was (she's French), how much he liked her hair, the odd fact that she had a mattress in the back of her truck - Was she planning on sleeping in it? Might that not be a bit cold on one's own? whether she spoke Italian as well? did she like England or France better?

... not once "may I see your attestation Madame?" nor "what were you doing in Italy?"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@esaw1, if you are flying from France, yes, you land on the French side (considered a French domestic airport).

Anyway until the 15th, no help anyway as you aren't allowed out of your house other than for good reason, and other than work/medical/shopping etc., no more than 20km radius.

But nothing to stop you landing in GVA, hopping on a train to e.g. Verbier and skiing what's open.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @under a new name, Was thinking ahead to mid Jan when hopefully I'll be heading to Chamonix......But who knows?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@esaw1, who knows indeed?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fears of a so called "third wave" in France today with a continuing lockdown after the 15th. Don't wax your skis just yet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cancelled the 3V jan trip, not booking anything yet but have my eye on mid March for a last minute get away. mainly depends on
A) lifts being open
B) lifting of quarantine on return

Who knows what the odds of either are
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were discussing this last night and are all pretty much resigned to the fact that this season just isn't going to happen.

Assuming the world get back on track for 21/22 we're going all out to the states for a good few weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
Fears of a so called "third wave" in France today with a continuing lockdown after the 15th. Don't wax your skis just yet.

Where have you heard this?
Asking as we are planning on heading out on the 15th for one week!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’ve positioned ourselves for maximum flexibility.

Apartment not up for rent so it is available all season at short notice. Sold our studio so € funds sitting there to cover costs in the absence of the (pitiably small) income the local agent usually achieves.

Will keep an eye on the situation and if it allows jump in the car and go, provided no quarantine French side. In case of quarantine U.K. side will work from home following week/two weeks.

Original plan was Christmas week in Chatel if possible. It’s not so will be up North trying to avoid being infected by the Tier 3 dwellers.

Patience and pragmatism required.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@L0ve2ski, where were you thinking of skiing? No lifts open ... Jan 20 earliest by last (public announcement)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
L0ve2ski wrote:
davidof wrote:

Where have you heard this?
Asking as we are planning on heading out on the 15th for one week!

On the TV news this AM. Some medical advisors say that the figures are not dropping and they are fearing a third wave with all the people out in the shops. They are advising keeping restrictions after the 15th December but what restrictions I don't know. I don't think the govt. will want to be accused of cancelling Christmas but maybe the limit for sports won't be lifted?

Lunch TV news seemed more gung-ho for an easing of lockdown. All very contradictory.
snow report
https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2020/12/05/les-remontees-mecaniques-autorisees-a-ouvrir-pour-les-clubs#PlugCommentsList2

In the published Decret: ski lifts can also be opened for underage club skiers.
snow report
We drove the length of France coming home from Spain this week. At the first peage after the Spanish border there was a 10km queue of trucks, but down the outside lane we got to the police checkpoint with just one french registered car in front of us - they were having some sort of dispute with Gendarmes and eventually were pulled to one side. The one with the assault rifle then gestured with his gun for us to just carry on. No checks on our attestations across the length of France. At Calais they had been having a Brexit practice, but when we got there they were packing away the 20km of cones on the motorway. DFDS put us straight on the next ferry, Border Force asked whether we had we had completed our Passenger Locator Forms, but when we said yes didn't want to see them. Bizzarely French Customs stopped us to ask where we had come from, then asked whether we had any cigarettes or alcohol, presumably part of the practice, but when we said yes, some, they couldn't be bothered to check. Dover was choked with trucks from the Brexit practice but driving the van down the car lane we escaped with no further checks - there was a sign saying locator form checks, but they waved us straight through.
snow conditions
@davidof, I think Our World In Data do a pretty good job (they're certainly cited by e.g. the FT, and it doesn't look to my jaded eye as though cases are not dropping?

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/france?country=~FRA
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@L0ve2ski, where were you thinking of skiing? No lifts open ... Jan 20 earliest by last (public announcement)

There hasn’t been a public announcement in France on lift opening dates, beyond “they’ll be closed over the holidays”, has there? Bars and restos closed til 20/1 but no official statement on lifts til 11/12, I think?
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, I think one of the 2Ps was quoted in a paper saying that Jan 20 was earliest day that they'd consider.
snow report
@under a new name, ah, ok thanks - hadn’t seen that. Wonder what they’re going to say on 11th? I see Italy are considering 7 Jan - we were hoping France would follow!
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, the 7th? Champoluc locals were saying Jan 8th on Wednesday, according to my infiltrator. Either is good ... especially if the border's open!
ski holidays
https://www.google.ch/amp/s/www.lastampa.it/cronaca/2020/12/03/news/dpcm-di-natale-coprifuoco-a-capodanno-fino-alle-7-le-piste-da-sci-riaprono-dal-7-gennaio-1.39613820/amp/

I was assuming/hoping the EU countries would all be the same!
ski holidays
Interestingly, a new decree from the gov, which (sort of) details the basis of Macron's statement, but which says kids clubs can use lifts (as can mountain workers, instructors, professionals) but the Dauph goes on to say, (via google)

"Another clarification of the decree, the assessment given to the prefects, to authorize "depending on local circumstances, the reception of other users in public collective passenger transport services by urban and interurban ski lifts. "What gives hope to operators of devices with tourist and pedestrian vocations?

Mathieu Dechavanne, CEO of Compagnie du Mont-Blanc, in Chamonix, Saint-Gervais and Megève believes in it. He was already in discussions with the prefect of Haute-Savoie to consider opening the Aiguille du Midi cable car, and the Mont-Blanc and Montenvers trains. “I assume that Chamonix is a city. The Eiffel Tower will be able to open and the Aiguille du Midi is the Eiffel Tower of the Alps ... But it's not won. The Bastille cable car in Grenoble might have better luck ..."

From https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2020/12/05/les-remontees-mecaniques-autorisees-a-ouvrir-pour-les-clubs
snow report
Our gondola from Venosc up to here is opening for a few hours each day. Alternative is 35 minutes each way by car. Not skiable down though.
ski holidays
Don’t be silly, I don’t want to go up here to go skiing. I’m just wearing my skiing gear because I know it’ll be cold at the top. And don’t worry about this very long elaborately wrapped Christmas present I happen to have with me either.
ski holidays
Got to hand it to Frenchies - they know how to riot.
Plod is getting trod. Laughing
latest report
@AL9000, I take it the CRS haven't been invited yet then.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@prometheus, In the crowd perhaps, coz there are definitely some pros in there Madeye-Smiley

Utterly disgraceful and disgusting to see the lack of social distancing; although everyone seems to be wearing a mask, so not too bad then.
snow conditions
There’s something heart-warming about seeing frenchies singing Christmas carols around a blazing Citroen.
snow report
I just wondered what people thought: I suppose the French President's problem is that like many mainland countries, there's not much on the dial of countermeasures between total lockdown and open porous borders. I'm sure he'd love to dial it up a notch and open-up free travel to within a Départment; and then one more notch up to free travel between Départments; and then one more to open national borders. But there's no easy way to police the intermediate options i.e. it's a bit all-or-nothing.

And the Swiss Problem for M. Macron is that he would like to ease controls on movement inside France, but keep the French Alps shut, but as soon as he does, hordes of people will drive into Switzerland for some Alpine social intercourse, pick up the virus there, and dump it back home on their return. Basically, spending their euros in CH and expecting the French healthcare system to handle the fallout.

It's as if the water company was trying to control the pressure at your tap solely by limiting one output valve at their reservoir, without any buffers or valves in-between.

Tricky one. At least here in the UK, we can ease internal restrictions without people anonymously moving across our external borders.
ski holidays
@LaForet, I believe there are still some checkpoints at the Fra-Sui border, which can be reinforced.
The other option is phone-tracking, like we have here.
ski holidays
@RobinS, what reason did you have on your attestation out of interest?
snow report
@Nickski, On the version of the attestation I found for foreign traveller there is a box for transit, to return home - this was an old form that someone on here linked to for me, but as we didn't get stopped it wasn't tested.
snow conditions
Jean Castex has been speaking since 6 p.m., accompanied by other ministers
"We will not reach 5,000 cases a day by 15 December," says Olivier Véran
Cinemas, museums and other cultural venues won't reopen for three weeks, was to be 15th
The January 20 deadline is maintained for other establishments.
Curfew will begin at 8 p.m. on December 15 (8 - 6)
The curfew will also apply, contrary to what was envisaged, to New Year's Eve on 31 December. However, it will not be applied on the evening of 24 December and travel will be allowed all night from 24 to 25 December.
On the other hand, inter-regional travel will be allowed from 15 December.
ski holidays
@Claude B, I had thought there wouldn't be as much of a release. So relatively good news.

Family currently weighing up whether to a quick dash for a few days.

Will there still be the 3 hour exercise limit (but presumably not 20 km if inter-regional travel is OK)?
ski holidays
@j b, Attestations not necessary during the day. Just if you need to be out during curfew hours.
snow report
@Claude B, thanks.

Assuming it remains the same forms (article 51 of Oct 16 is what it says) one of the curfew exemption options is transit related to long distance journeys. We might have to arrive later (or leave earlier) due to ferry times.
snow report
I was thinking the same about the curfew exemption. We are crossing on Thursday next week, and then driving down to BSM. We won't get there before curfew kicks in at 8, so will still need some paperwork
ski holidays
@Gilly76, we had same issue - thought about v early tunnel but can't stay over night in Kent so now getting later tunnel and stop just south of Dijon en route to Brides Les Bains........can't wait.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy