Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

International visit to the US and subsequent domestic travel

Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently working in the NY and my OH is thinking of visiting for Christmas and we plan to go skiing in California.

He is a UK citizen and is based in London but he will work from home from a country not on the restricted listed for 14 days before flying over. (Glad his job is fairly flexible in that respect!)

Currently there are two plans.
Plan 1
He will come to New York and WFH from there for two weeks thereby satisfying the 14 day self-isolation requirement by the NY Gov
We will then travel to California together and ski for a week and fly back to NY. We will stay in NY for another week before flying to London together.

Plan 2
He will come to New York and will fly to California on the same day thereby satisfying the passage requirement set by the NY Gov.
We will then travel to California together and ski for a week and fly back to NY. We will stay in NY for another week before flying to London together.

I have a few questions.
1 If he comes to NY a few days before flying to CA (i.e. neither plan above), presumably he will be in breach of the quarantine rule. As this is a domestic flight, will he get found out (his passport will be stamped upon entry to the US)

2 Similar question on the way back. Currently there are no restrictions for travelling from CA to NY but this may change. If this does change and NY Gov imposes quarantine for CA visitors will we be allowed to board the flight to London which will be a week after we fly back from CA. In theory since this is a domestic flight there is no way they could tell from our passport we’ve been away from the NY state?

3 Currently there are no travel restrictions on travel to CA within the US. Will he need to self-isolate upon landing in CA under plan 2? My research suggests not but I’d like to double check.

4 When flying between NY and CA, does TSA flip through your passport to see your arrival date/visa etc? Could you be denied boarding because you breach the 14 day quarantine rule?

Obviously if CA imposes self-isolation on visitors then there’s nothing we can do and we will cancel the trip altogether.

I want to add that we have no intention to flout the rules. I’m just trying to be more informed so that we can make sure we don’t break the rules.

I hope I have covered all (well, most) the possible scenarios. Happy for any other suggestions to get round this. Only requirement is that the international flights have to arrive/depart from NY.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I want to add that we have no intention to flout the rules.

You have 2 options that are perfectly within the rules.

But you're looking at additional options that are clearly not, and asking whether you will be "found out"?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@abc, Thanks - no not really. I'm just trying to understand/sense check if the two options I proposed are within the rules and if not trying to see if there are other ways to make it work.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It sounds like your plans are within the rules. But don't take my words for it. If I were in your position, I'm not sure I would take some internet post's view as proof it's within the rules or not.

That said, if the rules are 14 days quarantine only for international visitors, your 2 plans should work just fine. And if NY impose quarantine rules upon your return from California, you could either 1) leave for London immediate, under the "transit" rule; or 2) your OH work remotely for 14 days before getting on a plane for London.

Why even THINK about flouting the rules when you can perfectly easy just follow it?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@freethemind, I assume you OH`s travel documentations are all in place? I was vaguely looking at travel to California but my ESTA has expired and when I enquired it seemed unlikely any new application would be processed (this was a few weeks back so things may have changed) I know that getting any official paperwork needing to be processed in California at present is shall we say, somewhat trying, but it also seems generally that official processes in the States are not always working.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
why dont he just fly straight to CA & meet you there to skip out the NY bit?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm an American living in London and my wife is British. We went back to the US for a month this summer and they did a fair amount of extra checks on my wife at LHR and JFK. You mention your husband will go somewhere else for 14 days before flying to the US so probably will be no problem, but one thing it could be useful for him to have on his phone is a copy of your marriage certificate. We were asked to show that at both airports.

I think your plan 2 is better. The flight from NY to California is a bigger risk than the international flight to the US, which will most likely be empty. So best to just get all the travel done on the same day and just get to California. And once you get to California, wait 7 days, get a rapid or regular test and you're pretty much good to go once you get the result.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CaravanSkier, Yes his ESTA is still valid

@Mr.Egg, long story short my company will fly him over to NY (as I work here) so we don't have to pay for the flights

@marcs44, Thanks - We are actually not married would that be an issue?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess if he's spending 14 days somewhere first that isn't under a US travel restriction, then it should be ok. I think!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also think plan 2 is a better plan. Do all the traveling on the same day just in case anything changes in between the 2 flights.

Maybe fly on the same airline? Just so if there's any flight delay on the first leg, they'll be more accommodating in changing the second leg.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
freethemind wrote:
@Mr.Egg, long story short my company will fly him over to NY (as I work here) so we don't have to pay for the flights

Two questions...

1) Are the rules for New Jersey the same as for New York state/city?

And if New Jersey is 'easier' than NY..

2) Does it have to be New York (JFK/LGA) - or could it be Newark (EWR) which is in New Jersey?

Or Philidelphia/Washington/Baltimore/Boston if the rules there are simpler? He'd have to stay out of NY, but it's only a few hours drive to/from NY to any of these airports.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@freethemind,
How about a non stop flight?
Any friends in HR?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Judwin,

Good point, i think newark is New Jersey
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dp

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 13-10-20 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

1) Are the rules for New Jersey the same as for New York state/city?

It's the same. (at the moment, it could potentially change of course)

I think the OP is overthinking the whole thing. Just fly to NY and onward to CA. WFH if need be to satisfy quarantine. Nothing so complicated.
snow conditions
@abc,
What about boston?

Nicer city than ny tbh
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, ugh...boring boring boring once you have been to the Paul Revere house
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
@abc,
What about boston?

What about it?

Which part of "my company will fly him to New York" did you not get???
latest report
Thank you all for your helpful comments!

Mr.Egg wrote:
@freethemind,
How about a non stop flight?
Any friends in HR?

Non-stop flight to where? To CA? Yea don't think my company is that flexible...I'm already grateful they still let him fly!

@abc, Yes you're probably right and I'm overthinking about it. I'm just excited about going skiing and don't want any hiccups though ultimately it may not be beyond my control.

On a different note, ESTA on a UK passport is still valid right?
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@abc,
What about boston?

What about it?

well newark isnt in ny
latest report
Just get your company to agree they will pay the NY "value" of any airfare and he can fly directly to from California. Sounds like way less faff. Not even sure why you want to return to NY for a week if he should be quarantined for that stay unless you have no intention of complying with that.
ski holidays
@freethemind, better make sure the resort(s) you want to ski at have places available. Pretty much all of them are restricting numbers and many are not issuing day or walk up tickets. On line only.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, Newark is in NJ but it has the same quarantine rule

@Dave of the Marmottes, currently we don't need to be quarantined if returning to NY from CA but this may change but yes I also have in mind to see if I can agree to get the company to pay the NY value of the airfare and I'll pay the difference

@Masque, Thanks - We have epic passes so got their insurance. In the worst situation if he can't fly to the US (or if the resort is closed) we should be able to get a refund on our passes
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
abc wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@abc,
What about boston?

What about it?

well newark isnt in ny

And Geneva isn't in France either.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy