Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European ski countries you can currently travel to/from (for UK-based skiers)

Poster: A snowHead
A subject surely deserving of its own thread.
I think the list is currently looking like this:
- Germany (ish)
- Scotland
- Greece
- Sweden
I've been meaning to try a Greek ski trip for a while - may have no other choice this winter!
www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-53221896
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy with a negative test for entry
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don’t we need two lists
1. Countries that require you to quarantine on arrival when you visit
2. Countries that you have to quarantine when returning from when arriving back in the UK

I’m not worried about quarantining for two weeks on returning to the UK but a 2 week quarantine on arriving in France for example would block a trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@red_dragon, ^ +1
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Neil Neige,
Its only a few greek islands, not mainland greece
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am due to fly to Munich in December and then travel through Austria to ski in Italy.
All possible if I produce a negative test in the Uk within a certain time period before I arrive in Germany / Italy. For Germany it is currently 48 hours before I arrive in Munich. For Italy it is 72 hours.
Or I can take a test on arrival at Munich Airport.
There are currently no quarantine restrictions on return to the UK from either country.
If I actually stop in Austria (which means if I get out of the hire car) then it is different. But if I just use Austria as a “transit” country then no additional restrictions.
So it all hangs on me providing a negative test in the 48 hours before I fly to Munich or on arrival at the airport.
It’s a chance I am prepared to take
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JohnHSmith wrote:
I am due to fly to Munich in December and then travel through Austria to ski in Italy.
All possible if I produce a negative test in the Uk within a certain time period before I arrive in Germany / Italy. For Germany it is currently 48 hours before I arrive in Munich. For Italy it is 72 hours.
Or I can take a test on arrival at Munich Airport.
There are currently no quarantine restrictions on return to the UK from either country.
If I actually stop in Austria (which means if I get out of the hire car) then it is different. But if I just use Austria as a “transit” country then no additional restrictions.
So it all hangs on me providing a negative test in the 48 hours before I fly to Munich or on arrival at the airport.
It’s a chance I am prepared to take
re transiting Austria - you'll be hoping no accident/snow on road/full bladder forcing you out of the car? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am going to Italy in the second week of Nov but need ,72 hours before travel, a NEGATIVE molecular (PCR) or antigen test. There is also an option to arrive and get tested within 48 hours of arrival subject to quarantine until test results.
I always travel to Verona Airport which currently has no testing available at the Airport although there is talk this will change in the coming weeks/months.

It is not possible to get tests for travel on the NHS.

I definitely want to have the test before I travel just in case I am positive (or the test shows a false positive) even though I know I can test locally for €35.

The PCR tests I have seen advertised privately in the South East range from £150 -220 for test results within 48-76 hours rising to £450 for guaranteed 24 hours and £800 for same day !!!!!!!!!!

The rapid antigen test (widely used in Italy) is much quicker (15 mins) and cheaper but there are very few tests of this type available in the UK . I think I have found one which is £95 but am awaiting an email confirmation.

I will post the providers names when I get email confirmation of the costs.

If anyone knows of anywhere in the South East that does private rapid antigen tests please post as this will be the quickest and cheapest way to get tested to meet Italy's entry requirements.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kenzie wrote:
re transiting Austria - you'll be hoping no accident/snow on road/full bladder forcing you out of the car? Toofy Grin

Yes. It’s a journey I have done many times and so far I have not made any unscheduled stops in the short trip from the border near Rosenheim to the Brenner Pass. We have sometimes chosen to have a break on this stretch but not this trip.
Again, a chance I am prepared to take
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Better to get tested before you go Italy - you don't want to get stuck like these guys..!

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/brits-stuck-quarantine-two-months-19049681
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@albob, Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brnttptr,
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/covid-pcr-test-how-to-get-near-me-travel-private-italy-caribbean-coronavirus-b912213.html
A useful article
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnHSmith, yes it is thanks

I think they are right, other countries will do this too
It is better than the 2 week quarantine on return for France and I think for Switzerland you have the quarantine on arrival which makes it a non-starter really
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brnttptr,
You could travel to Venice instead of Verona and get a free test at the airport
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slovenia?

The Slovenian authorities have implemented a Red, Amber, Green list to determine the requirements for people arriving into Slovenia. If you are arriving into Slovenia from a country on the Amber or Red list, you may have to quarantine for 10 days.
As of 28 September, the UK is on the Amber List. However the exemption in place for anyone arriving from an EU/Schengen country that is on the Amber List, also applies to those arriving from the UK, until 31 December 2020. Therefore, if you are entering Slovenia from the UK before 31 December 2020, you will not be required to quarantine (see Entry requirements for more details).
Health checks may be conducted at all border entry points. If you display signs of coronavirus infections you will be refused entry, unless you hold a permanent residence permit for Slovenia.
latest report
Worth noting Germany has different entry rules for people from different parts of the UK.
snow conditions
@Harrow lady, Thanks ! I know but I don’t want to take the chance of a true positive or false positive on arrival as this has consequences and is why I want to test in the UK

@JohnHSmith, Thanks
ski holidays
pardon my ignorance, the whole situation has me bamboozled Puzzled
I've booked a hotel for Austria in January and have free cancellation until the end of November, do I need to quarantine in Austria? or does a negative test exempt me from quarantining?
ski holidays
@NewSki, some light reading

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006&start=920
snow report
NewSki wrote:
I've booked a hotel for Austria in January and have free cancellation until the end of November, do I need to quarantine in Austria? or does a negative test exempt me from quarantining?

At the moment you only need to quarantine upon your return to the UK (not in Austria). However the situation is more likely to change before January than to remain the same.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:

At the moment you only need to quarantine upon your return to the UK (not in Austria). However the situation is more likely to change before January than to remain the same.

please see part 2 https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information, even more confused now Shocked

II.2 ENTRY FROM WITHIN THE EU, THE SCHENGEN AREA, SELECT SMALL EUROPEAN NATIONS AND THE UNITED KINGDOM
Individuals entering Austria from a EU member state, the Schengen Area, or from Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, or the United Kingdom must present a medical certificate (to the immigration officer) confirming a negative molecular-biological SARS-CoV-2 test; THE TEST MUST NOT BE older than 72 hours at the time of entry (certificate in German / English).

EVEN WITH A NEGATIVE TEST, individuals will have to quarantine for TEN days at home (self-monitored) or at an appropriate accommodation which must not be left for the duration of the quarantine. Individuals are responsible for covering the cost of the quarantine accommodation. The quarantine CANNOT BE ENDED BY a negative molecular-biological test conducted and presented during the quarantine; at the time of entry into Austria, a confirmation of the availability of an appropriate accommodation to the individual must be presented. The obligation to quarantine must be reconfirmed by personal signature. INDIVIDUALS WHO CANNOT PROVIDE BOTH THE MEDICAL CERTIFICATE AS WELL AS THE CONFIRMED AVAILABILITY OF THE APPROPRIATE ACCOMMODATION WILL BE DENIED ENTRY INTO AUSTRIA.

Exceptions apply i.a. for:
• Austrian/EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and their US-Family members (e.g. spouses, children, parents) living in the same household
• Holders of a D visa or residence permit issued by Austria
• PERSONS WITH A RESIDENCE IN AUSTRIA (i.e. HOLDERS OF A “MELDEZETTEL”)
• Holders of a diplomatic “legitimation card” issued by Austria

However, any Austrian, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen or any person for whom the above exceptions apply will only be allowed to enter Austria upon presentation of a medical certificate confirming a negative molecular-biological SARS-CoV-2 test, unless their immediate departure from Austria is secured. The certificate must be issued by a licensed medical practitioner in German or English and THE TEST must not be older than THREE days at the time of entry.

Austrian, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen or any person for whom the above exceptions apply who cannot produce the required medical certificate will be subject to a TEN-day quarantine at home (self-monitored) or at an appropriate location that must not be left for the duration of the quarantine. Accommodation costs have to be covered by the individual; at the time of entry into Austria, a confirmation of the availability of such an accommodation to the individual must be presented and reconfirmed by personal signature of the individual. In case a molecular-biological test conducted during the quarantine yields a negative result, the quarantine ends and the location can be left.

TRANSIT THROUGH AUSTRIA (WITHOUT TESTING/QUARANTINE RESTRICTIONS) IS POSSIBLE ONLY IF IMMEDIATE DEPARTURE IS SECURED.

Individuals who enter Austria from one of the following states (list A1) and have their residence in Austria or one of the following states:
Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic (except the region of Prague), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France (except the regions of Paris/Île-de-France and Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur), Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kanada, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal (except the regions of Lisbon and Norte), Republic of Korea (South Korea), San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (Canary Islands only), Uruguay, Vatican City, United Kingdom, and Cyprus, do not have to present the medical certificate and are not subject to a quarantine if they can prove that they were not present in any other state than Austria and the states listed above within the last TEN days.

ANY TRAVELER ENTERING OR TRANSITING THROUGH AUSTRIA WILL NEED TO COMPLETE AN ENTRY AND TRANSIT DECLARATION (GERMAN/ENGLISH)
snow conditions
@Neil Neige, you can also add Cyprus to that list. No quarantine requirements - though negative test 72 hrs from departure is needed.

http://www.cyprusski.com/ - though it would be a stretch to do more than a days skiing there Smile
ski holidays
As an aside I think the guidance referring to Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City distinctly from EU and/or Schengen pretty much nails it as these micro states not contributing to the 90 days out of 180 days stay in a Schengen area Blush
ski holidays
Slovakia? I can't see the local villages enforcing any kind of social distancing either
ski holidays
NewSki wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:

please see part 2 https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information, even more confused now Shocked

II.2 ENTRY FROM WITHIN THE EU, THE SCHENGEN AREA, SELECT SMALL EUROPEAN NATIONS AND THE UNITED KINGDOM
Individuals entering Austria from a EU member state, the Schengen Area, or from Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, or the United Kingdom must present a medical certificate (to the immigration officer) confirming a negative molecular-biological SARS-CoV-2 test; THE TEST MUST NOT BE older than 72 hours at the time of entry (certificate in German / English).

EVEN WITH A NEGATIVE TEST, individuals will have to quarantine for TEN days at home (self-monitored) or at an appropriate accommodation which must not be left for the duration of the quarantine. Individuals are responsible for covering the cost of the quarantine accommodation. The quarantine CANNOT BE ENDED BY a negative molecular-biological test conducted and presented during the quarantine; at the time of entry into Austria, a confirmation of the availability of an appropriate accommodation to the individual must be presented. The obligation to quarantine must be reconfirmed by personal signature. INDIVIDUALS WHO CANNOT PROVIDE BOTH THE MEDICAL CERTIFICATE AS WELL AS THE CONFIRMED AVAILABILITY OF THE APPROPRIATE ACCOMMODATION WILL BE DENIED ENTRY INTO AUSTRIA.

Exceptions apply i.a. for:
• Austrian/EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and their US-Family members (e.g. spouses, children, parents) living in the same household
• Holders of a D visa or residence permit issued by Austria
• PERSONS WITH A RESIDENCE IN AUSTRIA (i.e. HOLDERS OF A “MELDEZETTEL”)
• Holders of a diplomatic “legitimation card” issued by Austria

However, any Austrian, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen or any person for whom the above exceptions apply will only be allowed to enter Austria upon presentation of a medical certificate confirming a negative molecular-biological SARS-CoV-2 test, unless their immediate departure from Austria is secured. The certificate must be issued by a licensed medical practitioner in German or English and THE TEST must not be older than THREE days at the time of entry.

Austrian, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen or any person for whom the above exceptions apply who cannot produce the required medical certificate will be subject to a TEN-day quarantine at home (self-monitored) or at an appropriate location that must not be left for the duration of the quarantine. Accommodation costs have to be covered by the individual; at the time of entry into Austria, a confirmation of the availability of such an accommodation to the individual must be presented and reconfirmed by personal signature of the individual. In case a molecular-biological test conducted during the quarantine yields a negative result, the quarantine ends and the location can be left.

TRANSIT THROUGH AUSTRIA (WITHOUT TESTING/QUARANTINE RESTRICTIONS) IS POSSIBLE ONLY IF IMMEDIATE DEPARTURE IS SECURED.

Individuals who enter Austria from one of the following states (list A1) and have their residence in Austria or one of the following states:
Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic (except the region of Prague), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France (except the regions of Paris/Île-de-France and Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur), Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kanada, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal (except the regions of Lisbon and Norte), Republic of Korea (South Korea), San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (Canary Islands only), Uruguay, Vatican City, United Kingdom, and Cyprus, do not have to present the medical certificate and are not subject to a quarantine if they can prove that they were not present in any other state than Austria and the states listed above within the last TEN days.

ANY TRAVELER ENTERING OR TRANSITING THROUGH AUSTRIA WILL NEED TO COMPLETE AN ENTRY AND TRANSIT DECLARATION (GERMAN/ENGLISH)

Applies if you are American. Best checking the Austrian Embassy in the UK: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/
ski holidays
NewSki wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:

Not really confusing, you just need to read all the bits that make clear that that's the US Embassy site applicable for US citizens wink

This is the main Austrian Tourism Board site: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Quote:
Entry Requirements for UK Residents
UK residents can freely enter Austria, without the need for a medical certificate or self-quarantine. This only applies if you have not been to any countries considered a COVID-19 risk area in the past 10 days.
The UK government currently advises against all but essential travel to Austria. When you return from Austria to the UK, you will need to quarantine for 14 days.
All travellers arriving in the UK need to provide their journey and contact details to the UK government (online and in advance). Learn more here.
snow report
How do they go about checking someone is self isolating then? On the return to the UK?
You provide your home address. You go straight home after leaving the airport.
What happens then? Random knocks at the door to check you’re in?
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, yip
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Italy:

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministero/normativaonline/decreto-iorestoacasa-domande-frequenti/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, yip

This is crazy
What if you don’t answer the door as you’re in the shower?
This is all getting out of hand if you ask me
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I think the thought process is that some isolation that happens is better than none at all, which would be the case otherwise without the rule - for much of the rules it comes down to honesty really.

Of course the returning people don’t have symptoms and others are as likely to catch the virus from the local pub.

Every bit helps maybe ?
snow conditions
brnttptr wrote:
I am going to Italy in the second week of Nov but need ,72 hours before travel, a NEGATIVE molecular (PCR) or antigen test. There is also an option to arrive and get tested within 48 hours of arrival subject to quarantine until test results.
I always travel to Verona Airport which currently has no testing available at the Airport although there is talk this will change in the coming weeks/months.

It is not possible to get tests for travel on the NHS.

I definitely want to have the test before I travel just in case I am positive (or the test shows a false positive) even though I know I can test locally for €35.

The PCR tests I have seen advertised privately in the South East range from £150 -220 for test results within 48-76 hours rising to £450 for guaranteed 24 hours and £800 for same day !!!!!!!!!!

The rapid antigen test (widely used in Italy) is much quicker (15 mins) and cheaper but there are very few tests of this type available in the UK . I think I have found one which is £95 but am awaiting an email confirmation.

I will post the providers names when I get email confirmation of the costs.

If anyone knows of anywhere in the South East that does private rapid antigen tests please post as this will be the quickest and cheapest way to get tested to meet Italy's entry requirements.

This testing piece is the big problem and is what adds to the cost of a trip. Also many are saying that with increased demand they can't meet the 72 hour timescale that is being promised! Another logistical problem for 2020/21.
ski holidays
Greece has a few resorts in the norther part, but they are small and don't always get snow - Falakro for example barely worked the last winter. The greeks themselves would come to Bansko to ski.

Sweden should be a much better choice Smile
snow conditions
I think I’d sooner go somewhere other than Italy where no test is required and then just suck up the quarantine when I get home
I can’t see many doing it though for whatever reason and the question is how can they have the resources to police it all
200 passengers leave an aircraft from Austria however many times a day. How are they meant to check up on all of them!
ski holidays
I reckon the rest of the Alpine nations will follow Italy and want a negative test on entry
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:

Not really confusing, you just need to read all the bits that make clear that that's the US Embassy site applicable for US citizens wink

This is the main Austrian Tourism Board site: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Quote:
UK residents can freely enter Austria, without the need for a medical certificate or self-quarantine. This only applies if you have not been to any countries considered a COVID-19 risk area in the past 10 days.
The UK government currently advises against all but essential travel to Austria. When you return from Austria to the UK, you will need to quarantine for 14 days.
All travellers arriving in the UK need to provide their journey and contact details to the UK government (online and in advance). Learn more here.

Looks like Austria changed its requirements for arrivals from the UK today - they now require a negative Covid-19 PCR test or quarantine on arrival.
https://www.salzburgerland.com/en/covid-19-travel-information/
(in German): https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011194
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
NewSki wrote:

Quote:

Looks like Austria changed its requirements for arrivals from the UK today - they now require a negative Covid-19 PCR test or quarantine on arrival.
https://www.salzburgerland.com/en/covid-19-travel-information/
(in German): https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/GeltendeFassung.wxe?Abfrage=Bundesnormen&Gesetzesnummer=20011194

Are you sure that's up to date? Of all the sites they link to, only https://www.ris.bka.gv.at have the same info... And I can't find any where else reporting it either Puzzled
ski holidays
@clarky999, Well you'll see that the German link I gave gives a date for the info of 12.10.2020, so I presume it's a new change? Agree it's all very confusing! Puzzled
latest report
So is Austria now like Italy? No quarantine on return to the UK but do a test before departure/on arrival?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
So is Austria now like Italy? No quarantine on return to the UK but do a test before departure/on arrival?

You have to quarantine on return to the UK from Austria, and have had to for a few weeks now
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy