Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
Think it depends on the answers below for me :-

Can I get decently priced Insurance to cover me against illness, injury & travel?
Do I have to isolate on arrival, or will a negative test suffice?
Do I have to isolate on return home?

3rd one is not much of a problem, however I will not travel without insurance.
Any chosen destination & travel route would be last minute based on all current & upto date information available.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LaForet wrote:
@boyanr That may be so, and I hope that it is, but it involves quite a lot of 'if's happening. What concerns me is that the UK media and politicians aren't very good at getting over the subtleties of epidemiology. There's a huge amount of coverage of vaccines at the moment, and I can see a lot of people immediately signing-up for one when it becomes available. But I can also see a lot of people hanging back as well, ranging from the (understandable) 'I'm never the first to try anything new.' through to the 'It's a Bill Gates Big Pharma Leftie Remainer immigrant Deep State SNP 5G paedophile alien Obamacare anti-gun urban elite Wuhan conspiracy'. I'd like our authorities to start the education work now, so at least the undecided might be won over by the arguments for immunisation.

For example, some people are going to get vaccinated and then die unexpectedly. It won't be anything to do with the vaccine, just the usual post hoc ergo propter hoc coincidence. This will be fodder for the anti-vax propagandists. Cue BBC interviewing an 'expert' pro and an anti-vaxxer, for 'balance' - the pro expert representing a couple of thousand, well, experts who've spent their lives qualifying as doctors and postgraduate researchers, and who have worked on containing epidemics of SARS, Ebola and the rest / the anti-vaxxer a rogue medical sociopath with conspiracy delusions. But it'll be 'balanced' and persuade another 250,000 people not to get vaccinated just yet.

I was listening to BBC 5Live the other day (Emma Barnett, I think) and this 'balance' issue came up, and she said they (The BBC) will not allow 'anti-vaxxers' on air to debate with scientists about the merits of vaccination to give a balanced argument, as in effect, there is no evidence to support what they purport. Science will acknowledge that no vaccine is 100% safe, but giving air time to conspiracy theorists in a sensible debate thankfully won't be happening (apparently).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mr.Egg, yes - plus are we allowed to travel there?

We have a pile of items in our spare bedroom intended for our place in France, which we would like to deliver before the end of the year when our Brexiter friends are due to add a load of red tape to anyone moving stuff across borders. So, we have insurance, as we understand we don't have to isolate on arrival or at least no more than anyone else in France does (what is the logic of not being able to exercise further than a kilometre?), and we are prepared to plan to isolate on return. However long distance travel across France to deliver things to a holiday home doesn't seem to be one of the justifications you can self-certify on an "attestation" - and with very few cars going anywhere one with GB plates on the autoroute is likely to draw the attention of the gendarmes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j b,
setup a import / export or courier company
employ yourself
deliver items
come back home
shut business down.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mr.Egg, to be honest it had occurred to me slightly naughtily that if we had a vehicle that could possibly be commercial (such as a camper van) we could simply stick a label on the outside saying "JB deliveries" or some such. It would be a reasonable gamble that if the vehicle looked like one with a legitimate reason to travel it wouldn't attract attention.

Unfortunately it wouldn't look very credible for an international courier to be using a VW Golf.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
j b wrote:
@Mr.Egg, to be honest it had occurred to me slightly naughtily that if we had a vehicle that could possibly be commercial (such as a camper van) we could simply stick a label on the outside saying "JB deliveries" or some such. It would be a reasonable gamble that if the vehicle looked like one with a legitimate reason to travel it wouldn't attract attention.

Unfortunately it wouldn't look very credible for an international courier to be using a VW Golf.

Just hire a small van and do it need to think outside the box
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Friends here were contracted to Neilson for 3 years for their 8 bedroom chalet. But they've weedled out of it. So if a party of 15 is looking for somewhere this winter ..... Not sure how successful they'll be in the UK market. French perhaps more so. On Airbnb.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Claude B wrote:
Friends here were contracted to Neilson for 3 years for their 8 bedroom chalet. But they've weedled out of it. So if a party of 15 is looking for somewhere this winter ..... Not sure how successful they'll be in the UK market. French perhaps more so. On Airbnb.

Not for this season, ut do they do self catering option? We struggle to find sc chalet with 8 bedrooms
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaForet wrote:
@boyanr That may be so, and I hope that it is, but it involves quite a lot of 'if's happening. What concerns me is that the UK media and politicians aren't very good at getting over the subtleties of epidemiology. There's a huge amount of coverage of vaccines at the moment, and I can see a lot of people immediately signing-up for one when it becomes available. But I can also see a lot of people hanging back as well, ranging from the (understandable) 'I'm never the first to try anything new.' through to the 'It's a Bill Gates Big Pharma Leftie Remainer immigrant Deep State SNP 5G paedophile alien Obamacare anti-gun urban elite Wuhan conspiracy'. I'd like our authorities to start the education work now, so at least the undecided might be won over by the arguments for immunisation.

For example, some people are going to get vaccinated and then die unexpectedly. It won't be anything to do with the vaccine, just the usual post hoc ergo propter hoc coincidence. This will be fodder for the anti-vax propagandists. Cue BBC interviewing an 'expert' pro and an anti-vaxxer, for 'balance' - the pro expert representing a couple of thousand, well, experts who've spent their lives qualifying as doctors and postgraduate researchers, and who have worked on containing epidemics of SARS, Ebola and the rest / the anti-vaxxer a rogue medical sociopath with conspiracy delusions. But it'll be 'balanced' and persuade another 250,000 people not to get vaccinated just yet.

Excellent post.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mr.Egg, Just self catering atm I think. Next winter don't know what their situation will be.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not been offensive you snowflake.. I was just saying.. Gosh some people are touchy..
PHE have since clarified that at flu recording are seperate.. JUST SAYING
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow&skifan wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Excellent post.

I'll be one of the 250,000, but not because I'm an anti-vaxxer.

Do people on here have the annual flu jab (vaccine)?

I've only had one - prerequisite for employment - and that's the only time in about 30 years I've had flu.

I won't be getting the COVID vaccine - unlikely to qualify - for the same reason.

I don't feel I'm in the at risk group (I'm 54 years of age).

Whilst I haven't been tested I believe I had it back in February in Japan.

48hrs of lethargy, excess sleeping, and fever sweats and then back on skis.

I'm led to believe for most people with a fully functioning immune system and no known underlying health issues this is the expected and normal response.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike Pow, Therby, I sincerely hope, forfeiting any subsequent entitlement to free medical care.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
esaw1 wrote:
@Mike Pow, Therby, I sincerely hope, forfeiting any subsequent entitlement to free medical care.

Why?

There are limited supplies, and unlike the rich or those in privileged positions I won't be taking the dose that's needed more by someone else.

If only everyone thought that way, the NHS would be firing on all cylinders.

Will you be having it? Are you in the at risk group?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just cancelled my Airbnb in Val do fassa for 2nd week in Jan. This year will be a write off.
snow report
@Mike Pow, Yes, when my turn comes round (age 62). If it helps stop me passing it on to my 89 year old Mother and/or anyone else then I will have done the right thing.
snow conditions
esaw1 wrote:

does Mike Pow not pay in to the tax system? if he does then there's no free medical care
latest report
Looks like skiing in Scotland is not going to be possible for England‘s residents too ...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/19/uk-lockdown-travel-to-and-from-scotland-made-illegal-13625330/
snow report
@Mike Pow, I don‘t usually have the flu vaccine though I did this year and probably will in future, on the basis that if I can‘t catch it, I can‘t spread it. Same applies to COVID though with the added element that whilst most young and healthy people won‘t have it badly, most is not all and I‘d not like to be in the some that do. I‘m not going to be in the first wave (or probably even second or third) for vaccination because I‘m not in any kind of at risk group. But I will have it as soon as I‘m offered it. So I‘ll not be taking a vaccine from someone who needs it more, but rather contributing to population-level immunity and reducing the incidence of COVID throughout the population.
snow report
Just saying
latest report
esaw1 wrote:
@Mike Pow, Yes, when my turn comes round (age 62). If it helps stop me passing it on to my 89 year old Mother and/or anyone else then I will have done the right thing.

Excellent.
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@Mike Pow, I don‘t usually have the flu vaccine though I did this year and probably will in future, on the basis that if I can‘t catch it, I can‘t spread it. Same applies to COVID though with the added element that whilst most young and healthy people won‘t have it badly, most is not all and I‘d not like to be in the some that do. I‘m not going to be in the first wave (or probably even second or third) for vaccination because I‘m not in any kind of at risk group. But I will have it as soon as I‘m offered it. So I‘ll not be taking a vaccine from someone who needs it more, but rather contributing to population-level immunity and reducing the incidence of COVID throughout the population.

Likewise.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Looks like skiing in Scotland is not going to be possible for England‘s residents too ...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/19/uk-lockdown-travel-to-and-from-scotland-made-illegal-13625330/

To be fair - under current rules scottish skiing also not possible to the residents of Edin or Glasgow.
snow conditions
Signs that cases are falling now in northern England, which would be good timing.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, opposite for me, we weren't getting the flu shot at home and then two winters in a row the whole family was struck badly with flu. Getting the shot ever since (4 years) and no flu.

However, I am still would not get the covid shot from Pfizer or Moderna. I just found out I have antibodies after being sick a month ago, but even if I didn't - I wouldn't. Being a brand new technology and no long term studies performed on it, I am not sure in its safety. If I was 80 years old or risk group in other factors, I would definitely get it, as the risk of catching covid would be probably bigger than the risk from the vaccine, but being 38 I would rather wait. This is purely for mRNA vaccines, if the Oxford or other "classic" vaccines make it I would recommend them to everyone.
snow report
@boyanr, What's your professional expertise in this matter - just so I know whether to ignore your recommendation Very Happy
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@boyanr, What's your professional expertise in this matter - just so I know whether to ignore your recommendation Very Happy

I guess it is being able to type and having an internet connection.

Like almost everyone on this and the other threads.
latest report
@ed123, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MorningGory, I've made someone happy today! My work is done- time to hit the gin.

DOI: Degrees in Molecular Biology, Medicine, Fellow of a Medical Royal College, examiner for same, previous roles advising DoH on things (but not these things) . Have performed multiple PCRs, extracted and sequenced DNA and mRNA, recent publications on the role of T cells in adverse drug reactions, PI in a few arms in MRC funded study into the molecular genetics of adverse drug reactions, last year finished recruiting to a study into the B cell responses to vaccine (as modified by other things). Also a masters degree in (medical) law.

BUT-I'd claim no expertise on the safety or otherwise of an mRNA vaccine- because that isn't my area of expertise.

So all the keyboard warriors can Be Nice please! off to Be Nice please! town.
latest report
MorningGory wrote:

I work in IT, in the healthcare industry. I have no medicine degree, but this is hardly a medicine question. Everyone is responsible for his own health and should take decisions for himself, assessing the risk and acquiring information as he sees fit. I am stating facts (no long term research on mRNA vax tech as we have only injected humans a few months ago for the first time in history) and my own decision (that I would not get it before 1-2 years have passed and the technology has proven its safety). You should take your own decision yourself based on whatever you think is important wink
snow report
@boyanr, I'll take my recommendations from those with the relevant qualifications and experience then! Luckily my brother in law has a Phd in biochemistry from Oxford and knows a bit about the subject, so I'll ask him instead of Joe Internet Very Happy
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@boyanr, I'll take my recommendations from those with the relevant qualifications and experience then! Luckily my brother in law has a Phd in biochemistry from Oxford and knows a bit about the subject, so I'll ask him instead of Joe Internet Very Happy

Sounds sensible, but how did Thalidomide work out for the woman, and their children, who trusted the experts?
latest report
MorningGlory, Sure, I had no intention to convince you in anything, or anyone else here. The whole discussion started as people were wondering why so many people would refuse to get vaccinated. So Mike Pow gave one possible reason, I gave another.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Would they have been better with a drug made by IT workers? Probably not Very Happy

I'm not saying that the vaccines are 100% safe, but I'd rather take advice from experts than the man in the street. I'd almost certainly have any approved CV19 vaccine if offered but would ask my BiL if he'd have it just as a check!
snow conditions
MorningGory wrote:
@ulmerhutte, Would they have been better with a drug made by IT workers? Probably not Very Happy

This is bringing the discussion to a really low level. They were taking this for morning sickness - a condition that requires no treatment, it does not harm and goes away on its own. They were given a drug that did horrendous damage. How can you see that the alternative to taking this drug was taking some other drug made be non-pharmacists is beyond me! Just like in the vaccine discussion above, the alternative to getting this drug is simply not taking anything and waiting for the morning sickness to pass on its own in several weeks.

I am neither an anti-vaxer (I have most vaccinations existing, probably more than you do), nor anti-pharma (my wife works in big pharma actually). But it is views like yours that occassionally do degrade the authority of pharma. They screwed up big time with this drug and there is zero justification you can make for that. You could say that clinical trials and safety checks nowadays are much more detailed and careful and such a bad outcome would probably not happen again - ok, but to say that the victims would have been worse without this drug is unbelievable...
ski holidays
@MorningGory, we are possibly at tangents.

My view: each person should weigh up their risk exposure (eg co-morbidities, age, occupations, etc) and the risks associated with mitigation. For the latter, it makes sense to bias the information more favourably from sources that “should” be experts, versus anonymous blog contributors, but equally, so-called experts get it wrong regularly.

In the end, it is your life & body, so make your own decision.
latest report
@boyanr, I'm just making the point that I take the advice of those with expert knowledge of the field in question - your's isn't vaccines. I didn't bring thalidomide into the discussion.

Also I did not say that the victims would have been worse without this drug - my point was they would probably have been worse taking a drug produced by non-biochemists.

@ulmerhutte, Probably! I make my decisions based on expert guidance, I guess that's the point. Anyway, nearly 10:30 and time to start work Very Happy
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
@MorningGory, I've made someone happy today! My work is done- time to hit the gin.

DOI: Degrees in Molecular Biology, Medicine, Fellow of a Medical Royal College, examiner for same, previous roles advising DoH on things (but not these things) . Have performed multiple PCRs, extracted and sequenced DNA and mRNA, recent publications on the role of T cells in adverse drug reactions, PI in a few arms in MRC funded study into the molecular genetics of adverse drug reactions, last year finished recruiting to a study into the B cell responses to vaccine (as modified by other things). Also a masters degree in (medical) law.

BUT-I'd claim no expertise on the safety or otherwise of an mRNA vaccine- because that isn't my area of expertise.

So all the keyboard warriors can off to town.
LOVE IT. Have another gin on me. Very Happy
latest report
Would all of you who are not looking to take up the vaccine be willing to forgo international travel?
ski holidays
@Jonny996, my thoughts also. Together with forgoing visiting elderly and/or vulnerable friends and relatives, forgoing working in any group settings, forgoing social activities in group indoor settings, etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy