Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
Or express non-Guardianista opinions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was on a local newspaper so who knows but generally most previous rumours have been proven correct. Actually have Turin flights booked for Xmas so I feel your pain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here we have a Covidiot .

Dippy wrote:

Having just returned from Greek Islands - travelling against FCO recommendations (yes self iso for 2 weeks)
I feel it really depends on whom/where you stay and how you conduct yourself while away -
its all common sense!

Clearly you have ZERO Common sense

If you had insurance it would of been invalid......

and also in case you do not know is that most EU countries require
everyone to have a minimum 3rd party liability insurance (this part is compulsory) 365 Days a year..!!

Skiing or Holidays in general are NOT classified as ESSENTIAL Travel.

There are other Covidiots posting in this thread who are planning reckless Winter sports holidays..... You think you are right but you are the Problem and I suspect this is your normal behaviour in daily life .

Start realising your reckless actions..... then we might be able bring this virus under control.

Winter Sports are NOT Essential and travelling across countries to get there is a very bad decision..

Forget about Winter Sports 2020/21 (unless you live 30 minutes from the slopes).

The UK will join the blanket ban on NON EU Citizens entering the EU on January 1st .

STAY AT HOME
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those 100s of thousands of people who work in the ski industry might disagree with your description of their business.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Forget about Winter Sports 2020/21 (unless you live 30 minutes from the slopes).
As a resident of Basel, its looks like you wont be doing any skiing this coming winter
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok Stanton i will bite.

Everybody staying at home for an indefinite time is not a sensible solution. People need to live their lives and manage risk. They also need to support the industries they wish to rely on in the future or they will disappear.

We are lucky enough to have a chalet in the PDS and have already bought season ski pass. We were out in our chalet for the last couple of months and are currently in middle of 14 days self isolation. As a retired couple this is no problem. Travelling via eurotunnel feels a very safe method. I used to be a vet and realise that the best way to stop the spread of any disease is to stop movement of the animals. But, unless you are the Chinese and shut down a whole city this is not what any country is doing.

We intend to cross country ski , tour and use some chairlifts / drags. All the evidence shows that transmission is highly unlikely in outdoor settings.

I agree that skiing is not an essential reason for travel. However it is not illegal to travel against FCO recommendations. We have 3rd party insurance through our French house insurance. We have winter sports insurance with Vieux Campeur based in France. We will travel in dec and use EHIC cover for the season.

We will not be using apres bars and know how to avoid busy areas.

We will support the local ski shop and takeaway pizza place.

I believe I have assessed the risk to ourselves and others and come to the conclusion that it is a reasonable plan. I accept that many people will not be in the fortunate position we are in. However , I think it is possible to ski this season on the big assumption that things are roughly the same as they are today. We are prepared to alter our plans to take into account any changes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pateman99, again another sensible approach & post. The issue I see is governments are not allowing intelligence to dictate this & we are all being subjected to the moronic rules that the morons need told. The irony of the morons not adhering to those rules is not lost on me
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

how confident are you in the source of this information?

it really scarcely matters how confident anyone is right now about what is happening right now, or next week - to plan (or not plan) holidays in six months time on the basis of current rules which are changing week on week just seems daft to me. If you MUST plan now (and there are sound reasons not to) do so on the basis that you do what you can to reduce the downside risks. You can't eliminate them. I'm very sympathetic to people who really want to get something set up now but - be realistic about the inevitable uncertainty and risks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

how confident are you in the source of this information?

it really scarcely matters how confident anyone is right now about what is happening right now, or next week - to plan (or not plan) holidays in six months time on the basis of current rules which are changing week on week just seems daft to me. If you MUST plan now (and there are sound reasons not to) do so on the basis that you do what you can to reduce the downside risks. You can't eliminate them. I'm very sympathetic to people who really want to get something set up now but - be realistic about the inevitable uncertainty and risks.

This. Between now and ski season it's perfectly possible, even likely, that countries will go on then off then back on then back off the travel restrictions/quarantining list. The only sensible approach is to leave as much as possible 'til the very last minute. Ideally including booking time work or whatever - but if that's not possible there's still really no need to book flights or hotels until a few days before travel. Probably even in peak holiday times, this season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stanton, just on the insurance thing (please don’t shoot the messenger), we have an annual travel policy arranged through Staysure (staysure.co.uk) that provides COVID cover and we’ve extended it to provide cover even if we travel against FCO advice. I don’t think that makes me a Covidiot especially since we are in the fortunate position of being able to quarantine when we get back
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, I did have insurance - yes - even tho went against FCO recommendations! Also had E111
Been home 16 days now - all healthy!
35 people on outward flight approx 50 on return.
Airport was like a ghost town.
Had masks on and plenty of hand gel.
Stayed in a top (and I mean top) hotel whose covid policy went beyond all expectations.
Work from home and live on a farm in a very rural area.
So..... all in all - we had a fabulous relaxing holiday (much to our benefit)
Really dont see the problem.
And.... just incase you are wondering we are certainly not young - but fit and healthy!

Will most certainly go skiing - as long as we can obtain insurance cover - whatever the cost!
Actually - my annual policy provides full covid cover unless going against FCO guidelines - hence we purchased additional insurance through Staysure for our Greek trip.

But.... unfortunate timing for us - the FCO updated their guidelines to include the Greek Island we were travelling to on the actual day of our departure - hence we went.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HF1970,
We obtained a policy through Staysure (all done very last minute as we departed the day FCO guidelines for Greek Islands were changed)
We were covered with our annual policy for covid - but only if going to an FCO approved country.

Lets hope these policies are still available for winter sports - I will certainly be going!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dippy, ours includes winter sports with Staysure as well as what I said above. Annual policy. Got 15 months for the price of 12. We’re no chickens either
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rdsweb, Many thanks for that - good to know.
My annual policy does not expire till end of January - we will be booking last minute anyway - so will wait and see nearer the time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pateman99, well said - common sense prevails!
snow report
jonnyboy9 wrote:
Heard that Italy is about to go on the FCO Naughty Step for having >20 covid cases per 100,000. In UK, we currently have around FOUR times as many.... seems a bit mad..

Poland and Turkey add to list today -- no mention of Italy..
ski holidays
bu$$er me, salvation! https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/01/england-to-remove-turkey-and-poland-from-travel-corridor-list

Has anyone skied Val Senales in late October? Any good?
latest report
pateman99 wrote:
Ok Stanton i will bite.

But despite this a very sensible, well-thought out answer.
Evidently everybody 'stay at home' is not going to work as a long term solution.
latest report
@stanton
A slightly excitable post.

Some horrendous interpretation of statistics right now. The latest being that its impossible to book a test unless you're pretty sure you have the virus - its the equivalent of walking into a pub and asking only those who have drunk 4 pints to step outside for a breathalyser - then shouting from the rooftops that drink driving is up 300%.

Covid affects very, very few people seriously, yet the whole country is being shut down and squeezed into submission.

I'm not a Covidiot, nor a covid denier - but I'm incredibly cynical about the facts as they are being presented right now. I've put in several FOI requests that have been rebutted, and sought clarity on DHSC policy, only to be fobbed off between departments.

I travel an awful lot with my job - which has ground to an almost standstill, only managing a few trips this year.

I will go skiing this winter and will either use leave if I have to self-isolate, or continue to WfH.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Here we have a Covidiot .

Dippy wrote:

Having just returned from Greek Islands - travelling against FCO recommendations (yes self iso for 2 weeks)
I feel it really depends on whom/where you stay and how you conduct yourself while away -
its all common sense!

Clearly you have ZERO Common sense

If you had insurance it would of been invalid......

and also in case you do not know is that most EU countries require
everyone to have a minimum 3rd party liability insurance (this part is compulsory) 365 Days a year..!!

Skiing or Holidays in general are NOT classified as ESSENTIAL Travel.

There are other Covidiots posting in this thread who are planning reckless Winter sports holidays..... You think you are right but you are the Problem and I suspect this is your normal behaviour in daily life .

Start realising your reckless actions..... then we might be able bring this virus under control.

Winter Sports are NOT Essential and travelling across countries to get there is a very bad decision..

The UK will join the blanket ban on NON EU Citizens entering the EU on January 1st .

STAY AT HOME

Not happy with fomenting social dissonance with it's own threads, now with the fear of being ignored and can't resist an attempt at contaminating other's reasonable discussions with its trolling, turns up here.

Troll, and should be treated as such.
latest report
pateman99,

That sounds like a sensible, well considered approach. Very Happy
ski holidays

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 14-06-21 15:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Dravot, I agree with your post but please don't use "denier". The only word that should have that as a suffix is 'Holocaust'.
snow report
We have just given up and cancelled our 2 week Christmas trip to the 3V. Our hand was forced a little as Lufthansa cancelled our flight (Birmingham to Lyon via Frankfurt). We did look at some very cheap flights with EasyJet but felt it was reckless to throw anymore money at it. The gentleman we rent from has kindly agreed to keep the money we have paid ‘on account’ for our next trip.

Being a teacher it meant the quarantine would make the trip impossible and it just seems too ambitious to expect to go.
snow conditions
@stanton’s skiing time

2019/2020 = None
2020/2021 = None

@stanton’s trolling time

2019/2020 = 24 hours a day
2020/2021 = 24 hours a day

I know it’s best not to feed the trolls, but couldn’t resist
ski holidays
At this time, it seems the surest option, for this coming Season, is to ski at the Scottish Ski centres or at the Club skiing hill venues around Northern England and elsewhere within the UK.
latest report
cc_7up wrote:
At this time, it seems the surest option, for this coming Season, is to ski at the Scottish Ski centres or at the Club skiing hill venues around Northern England and elsewhere within the UK.

Maybe not ideal.
Isn't there some MSP currently being slated for making a non-essential trip up to Scotland, when she could have stayed put in London?

We will be aiming to go to Verbier in a month or so when it opens, and then the Swiss side of the PdS in the main season.

It's really amazing how differently countries are dealing with this. I am currently in Switzerland, having driven over the border this morning from France. There were zero border guards, so quite how ruthlessly they are pursuing the mandatory quarantine for people from dodgy places is a mystery.

No one is wearing masks in the streets, and the parking lot where I work is pretty full, so attendance is quite high.
Interestingly though one person with whom I work, was in Paris last week, so she is now self isolating and working from home.
So it seems that people are sticking to the guidelines / laws, even though it seems the chance of detection for breaching them is zero.
This willingness to comply makes me happier about skiing in Switzerland this coming winter.
snow conditions
boobleblooble wrote:
...........I'm going out to do a season and train to BASI L2 and with luck pass. It would be beautifully ironic if this was one of the best seasons in living memory and the Alps were deserted. Go skiing. We all of us only have a few winters and summers before it all ends and some even fewer than we think......

So unless you're a non Brit, Covid is the least of your problems as you'll have to apply for a Visa and believe me that is a lot of hassle.

Think I might well set up yet another thread !!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cc_7up, Never been to Scotland - but my understanding is that it does not quite compare to 3V, Paradiski or Val d'Isere - (happy to be put right) and it would take me around the same amount of time (driving) to get to Scotland as it would driving to LaTania (from Calais) - the joy of living very close to the channel tunnel!
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
cc_7up wrote:

Maybe not ideal.
Isn't there some MSP currently being slated for making a non-essential trip up to Scotland, when she could have stayed put in London?

We will be aiming to go to Verbier in a month or so when it opens, and then the Swiss side of the PdS in the main season.

It's really amazing how differently countries are dealing with this. I am currently in Switzerland, having driven over the border this morning from France. There were zero border guards, so quite how ruthlessly they are pursuing the mandatory quarantine for people from dodgy places is a mystery.

No one is wearing masks in the streets, and the parking lot where I work is pretty full, so attendance is quite high.
Interestingly though one person with whom I work, was in Paris last week, so she is now self isolating and working from home.
So it seems that people are sticking to the guidelines / laws, even though it seems the chance of detection for breaching them is zero.
This willingness to comply makes me happier about skiing in Switzerland this coming winter.

Yes but the issue was she knew she'd tested positive and still decided to get on the train.
latest report
boobleblooble wrote:
I work for the NHS (whatever that's worth) and C19 is over.

That's very strange, if you think the NHS thinks C19 is over, then why all the PPE usage? Why has Royal Glamorgan just closed to new admissions? Why no routine face-face appointments unless clinically indicated? Why no routine aerosol generating procedures? Why does a GP appointment take 30 mins? Why disinfect the waiting room between patients? I could go on...
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
Covid affects very, very few people seriously

I think there are around 42,000 people who would disagree with you. If they weren't already dead from Covid.
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
boobleblooble wrote:

That's very strange, if you think the NHS thinks C19 is over, then why all the PPE usage? Why has Royal Glamorgan just closed to new admissions? Why no routine face-face appointments unless clinically indicated? Why no routine aerosol generating procedures? Why does a GP appointment take 30 mins? Why disinfect the waiting room between patients? I could go on...

Think it was reference to the severity of death.

When there are nearly double the deaths from suicide per week then the measures seem drastically drastic.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
snowdave wrote:
boobleblooble wrote:

When there are nearly double the deaths from suicide per week then the measures seem drastically drastic.

The drastic measures are what keeps the case rate where it is, otherwise it would be orders of magnitude greater than the number of deaths from suicide. Rising cases drive rising deaths.

See Spain for details - death rate now is approx 1% of the cases from 2-3 weeks ago. Rewind a month and many people were saying "it's ok, cases are going up but deaths aren't so it's not a problem". There was even the whole "casedemic" debate around this.

To quote the Washington post from very early in the pandemic "this isn't prophecy, it's just math"

If our case rates keep going up, then the issue won't be the requirement to quarantine when we get home, it will be the refusal of anywhere to let us in.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
snowdave wrote:
boobleblooble wrote:

The drastic measures are what keeps the case rate where it is, otherwise it would be orders of magnitude greater than the number of deaths from suicide. Rising cases drive rising deaths.

See Spain for details - death rate now is approx 1% of the cases from 2-3 weeks ago. Rewind a month and many people were saying "it's ok, cases are going up but deaths aren't so it's not a problem". There was even the whole "casedemic" debate around this.

To quote the Washington post from very early in the pandemic "this isn't prophecy, it's just math"

If our case rates keep going up, then the issue won't be the requirement to quarantine when we get home, it will be the refusal of anywhere to let us in.

It's been quoted this week that COVID-19 is the 24th biggest killer in the UK per week.

1% of a fraction of the population who have COVID-19 which is itself a fraction of the population is a drastic measure in my opinion.
latest report
@stanton, The discussion title is not what is the lunatic StAntons views on COVID, discuss. Stay on topic or stay offline.

And for what it's worth if I can get past your narrow minded view. Covid does kill, but it is not a prolific killer or rampant, the death rate is 0.025%. This is not a crisis or epidemic, protect the vulnerable, open the country use flu season protocols (I borrowed this quote as it sums it up so well).

Bit long but well worth a listen.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/01/restrictions-overreaction-serious-covid-19-cases-floor-claims/

My view, I don't think many of us will get to ski sadly and it is totally unjustified. I am booked though, and got it all crossed some sense if introduced.
ski holidays
I undesrtand people getting fed up with illogical and inconsistent epidemic countermeasures, but I really don't get the Covid denial propaganda. 42,000 people have died of the disease so far. About 8%-12% of the population has been infected so far. At any one time, about 1 in 200 people are carrying the disease (1 in 100 younger people). It's a global epidemic by definition and is following the pattern of previous epidemics. So we know what happens and what the indicators are and what the best countermeasure are. Yes, I can get as angry about these as anyone, but I don't deny we need to do something just because it's inconvenient fr my ski holiday.

Don't rely for your analysis on The Telegraph, the Guardian, The Economist, indeed any newspaper. Nor social media. I'd suggest you read one or more of the good treatises aimed at the general public about epidemics and vaccination (like Eula Biss's 'On Immunity: An Inoculation' - a female science writer, not a medic, who researched the topic after getting pregnant and being harangued by anti and pro vaccination zealots alike.). Then take a look at what the NHS and medical sites have to say. If you still think it's all an over-reaction, then OK. But I'd never come to that conclusion solely from what I'd read in my daily paper.
latest report
Covid hasn't gone and as an NHS employee that's a shocking thing for @boobleblooble, to say.

I'm as hacked off as anyone else with restrictions and the likelihood of no skiing this coming winter but please remember:

The needs of the Many outweigh the needs of the Few wink

http://youtube.com/v/v1mE_lyVKRQ
ski holidays
@LaForet, I don't agree at all. I'm reading Carl Heneghan, Mike Yeadon, Ivor Cummings, Sikora and Gutpa very well respected people with real evidence not Whitty and Vallance with a farcical graph and who themselves endorsed herd immunity. Crikey, even the WHO are saying we need to move to a less draconian policy. Doesn't matter which way you cut it this is an overwhelmingly survivable virus, today there has been a peer reviewed article showing 81% of those unexposed to COVID showed T cell response, in addition to the evidence we have lies from Hancock (even yesterday) saying hundreds of thousands will die this is based on the widely criticised and discredited Fergusson model.

The curve we are following follows normal seasonal outbreaks and that is true in western Europe and south America.

There is no doubt covid is a killer but it is the 24th largest in the UK and god knows how many will die from the policy we're implanting now. It really is wake up time.

I'm frustrated now I don't kike talking COVID because it is such a sham yet we have been pushed along by the fear and scaremongering and the Ofcom hiatus on main stream media is fuelling the 'crisis'.
latest report
@James77, so, sticking at least vaguely with the thread theme, if COVID is a non issue, how many non-refundable holidays have you booked for the 2020-21 ski season?

In your proposed view of the world, by Xmas, neither hospital admissions nor deaths will have risen much, we'll realise it's all been a bad dream/case of flu, and skiing will be full steam ahead.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy