Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
It would be very unusual not to get some more cold weather this season. A week of February to go yet. Still early days for the Scottish season and plenty of lockdown time left yet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Once more I feel obliged to remind people that this thread is for people to post optimistic hopes of going away on a ski trip and getting their hopes dashed upon the lockdown rocks like the foolish chumps they are! None of this science please. Just optimism, dashed hopes and tears.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pastorius wrote:
Once more I feel obliged to remind people that this thread is for people to post optimistic hopes of going away on a ski trip and getting their hopes dashed upon the lockdown rocks like the foolish chumps they are! None of this science please. Just optimism, dashed hopes and tears.

To keep it simple then, the answer is a resounding no, not a chance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That’s 20 mins of my life I won’t get back, scrolling to find the thread again. Thanks for clear cut answer. Time to start planning next season!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pinotgrigio wrote:
That’s 20 mins of my life I won’t get back, scrolling to find the thread again. Thanks for clear cut answer. Time to start planning next season!

I would love to go but there is no chance. My wife is a nurse and vaccinating. We will begin to see a huge difference here with numbers by the end of March but other countries are way behind us. We have held a week in mid Wales in August with the optimistic hope of getting back to India in October/November if not there then somewhere warm but as for skiing in 2021 your only chance will be Nov/Dec 2021.

Here's to a brilliant 2022 skiing and boarding season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller wrote:
pinotgrigio wrote:

I would love to go but there is no chance. My wife is a nurse and vaccinating. We will begin to see a huge difference here with numbers by the end of March but other countries are way behind us. We have held a week in mid Wales in August with the optimistic hope of getting back to India in October/November if not there then somewhere warm but as for skiing in 2021 your only chance will be Nov/Dec 2021.

You might be able to do a southern hemisphere trip if you are utterly desperate. I don't think Australia or New Zealand will let you in, but Chile and Argentina might be possible.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
An interview with a government spokesperson (I think) on Radio 4 about 20 mins ago mentioned that holidaying within the UK would be possible from April, so potential prospect of some late-season Scottish skiing if the snow holds out?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Neil Neige wrote:
An interview with a government spokesperson (I think) on Radio 4 about 20 mins ago mentioned that holidaying within the UK would be possible from April, so potential prospect of some late-season Scottish skiing if the snow holds out?

This Monday and Tuesday could be quite revealing on that - indications are that the Tier system won't be coming back in England that it will be a gradual national reversal of lockdown, on that score should know tomorrow.

Tuesday is the notionally weekly review of the Covid Protection levels for Scotland, this week we are due to be getting an update of the Scottish Government's strategic frame work, that is the route map from last spring coupled with the tiered protection levels 0-4. Scotland remains in phase 3 of the strategic framework, but no part of Scotland is less than Level 3 and all of mainland Scotland is under enhanced Level 4+ (which sucks as a skier because uplift was permitted up to and including Level 4 Lockdown!).

A return to Phase 2 of the framework would allow outdoor hospitality to reopen so could pop on the ski gear and head for a pint, but would reintroduce the 5mile travel limit for exercise - which would be a stiff price to pay for that pint compared to presently being able to travel within your local authority and up to 5 miles beyond it to start outdoor exercise.

In the first instance progress is likely to be dropping the enhancements to Level 4 that came in early January which would at least allow locals to get back on the slopes. Could do with a repeat of last year, 3-4 weeks of big stormy snow and then settled spring!

At present though it remains the situation that non essential travel into or out of Scotland is currently against the law.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaForet wrote:
ed123 wrote:
LaForet wrote:
Yes, about time we had a holiday, come what may. A few more tens of thousands of dead people is neither here nor there now we'd buried 120,000, and routine NHS surgery delayed for another six months is well worth it.

I do hope you'll be putting your hand up to be one of them.

You're saying you wish me dead?

Not at all- only that if you are prepared to make that sort of assessment then you should be willing to e one yourself. A basic tenet of a Rawlsian sense of natural justice.

Alternatively you should be prepared to get a job turning COVID patients in your local ICU.

Although you are quite clearly saying that from your point of view a holiday (for you) is worth a few tens of thousands of (other) people dying.

I have never heard anyone say that sort of thing before- go and have a little think about yourself.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ed123 wrote:
... a Rawlsian sense of natural justice...

One of the benefits of Snowheads is serependitiously introducing us to whole topics previously unknown to us. For whcih thanks.

(But don't test me on it, at first look it is massively more complicated than your simple explanation of its implication).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jabuzzard wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
pinotgrigio wrote:

You might be able to do a southern hemisphere trip if you are utterly desperate. I don't think Australia or New Zealand will let you in, but Chile and Argentina might be possible.

Think you're forgetting about Brazilian variant and risk this is resistant to AZ vaccine
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
peanuthead wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
pinotgrigio wrote:

Think you're forgetting about Brazilian variant and risk this is resistant to AZ vaccine

Yes, that could be a bit of a close shave.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ed123 wrote:
LaForet wrote:
ed123 wrote:
LaForet wrote:
Yes, about time we had a holiday, come what may. A few more tens of thousands of dead people is neither here nor there now we'd buried 120,000, and routine NHS surgery delayed for another six months is well worth it.

I do hope you'll be putting your hand up to be one of them.

You're saying you wish me dead?

Not at all- only that if you are prepared to make that sort of assessment then you should be willing to e one yourself. A basic tenet of a Rawlsian sense of natural justice. Alternatively you should be prepared to get a job turning COVID patients in your local ICU. Although you are quite clearly saying that from your point of view a holiday (for you) is worth a few tens of thousands of (other) people dying. I have never heard anyone say that sort of thing before- go and have a little think about yourself.

You understand I was being ironic?

If you'd read any of my previous posts you'd have realised that this was the case. Rather than wishing me dead. Which I feel no amount of circuitous logic can really justify.

Let me explain: I was responding to those posting with the premis that 120,000 covid deaths, or 72,000 excess deaths, or 29,000 care home deaths is somehow not significant in relation to the total population. I disagree strongly with this. I also disagree with the assumption that we could have avoided massive economic impact of covid if we'd just carried on as normal. There was never a 'deaths vs jobs' equation in operation: the UK was going to be hit hard by redundancies and business closures, whatever we did. If you'd looked at some of my earlier posts, then you'd have realised this was my position, to the extent that some Members were complaining that I was banging on a bit about this on what is primarily a skiing-related forum, rather than a political platform. On a by-then-44-page thread, it would perhaps be have been useful to read from at least a couple of pages back, to understand the context of the discussion.

So it looks like one of those typical Forum misunderstandings. Where both sides read posts as overtly offensive when that was never the intention, but react as if it was. And it goes downhill from there.

I'm sure everyone else would just be relieved if we can go back to commenting more directly on the subject of the thread. To which end:

Is this season going to happen for the British?

No. I just don't see the necessary conditions being in place in time for most of us to get out to The Alps this 2020-21 winter season.

Most people aren't going to have been double-vaccinated by Easter (4th April). I'm 67 and this won't happen for me until 1st May. Add another 3 weeks for full effect. Travel insurers and destination countries are likely to need this to apply as a basic criteria for entrance. And that's before any additional requirements for testing before arriving in the Alps and then arriving back in the UK.

Perhaps if you have been fully vaccinated already, then it's just possible the insurers and Alpine countries and UK will all agree that a vaccination certificate plus tests will allow you to avoid quarantine. But the window must be closing on this.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 22-02-21 14:51; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Due for my 2nd vaccine on 28th March, so theoretically, would have just qualified for the full effect by the time of the EOSB had it still been on, but don't think there will be a cat in hell's chance of traveling by then.

Remote chance of late summer is the only possibility this year I think. It will all depends on the EU vaccine position, so not holding my breath on that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:
Due for my 2nd vaccine on 28th March, so theoretically, would have just qualified for the full effect by the time of the EOSB had it still been on, but don't think there will be a cat in hell's chance of traveling by then.

Remote chance of late summer is the only possibility this year I think. It will all depends on the EU vaccine position, so not holding my breath on that.

Yesterdays Sunday Times. I wouldn't hold my breath on Europe especially France.

snow conditions
Agree with all the posts above - early indications are that we still won't be allowed overnight stays in UK in early April, so I can't see any way that international travel would be allowed at all. No matter how vaccine doses you've had. Add in the vaccine situation in Europe and it's all a no-go. But we all know that anyway I guess.

I can't see international travel being opened up till late May/June at the earliest. I also don't think the government will entertain any form of vaccination passports until the vast majority of the population have had the opportunity to have at least one vaccine dose.
snow report
Yep. was just reading about the problems in France and Germany. Only 200 out of 3,800 appointments turning up when they found out they were getting the Oxford vaccine. Only 150,000 out of 1.5 million doses used.

German City Mayors threatening to dump anybody who refuses it to the back of the queue. Offering it to anybody who would take it.

After all the fuss they made about supplies due their incompetence!

Makes you wonder if it's (Macron and some German officials suggesting it's not effective) a political plot to cover up the shortages to hide their incompetence?

It will be criminal if they let the doses go out of date. The rest of the world will be livid at any significant waste.

They probably can't, but would not blame the manufacturers if they publicly announced they would rescind the contract and send the vaccines to "anywhere else" so that they would be used rather than let them be wasted. - May not be legal, but would be morally ethical.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 22-02-21 13:49; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
I would have posted the link, but it was on msn, and by the time I went back to it, it was gone. rolling eyes
latest report
The Oxford/AZ vaccine is much more effective than the French failed efforts!
snow report
BBC R4 World at One. Today the results of a Scottish analysis of 1 m doses from Dec - so elderly. OAZ achieved 94% reduction in hospital admissions, PBTech 85% reduction.
Not invented here syndrome.
Swiss have similar problem. I'll happily take it off their hands!!
ski holidays
The PM has just announced that 17 May is the earliest date that international travel for holidays will resume to/from the UK.
snow conditions
The Winter Coronavirus Wave is dying out just like it did last Spring with the First Wave...

I dont think think the Vaccines ae having any effect even in Israel ... I think it is just virus has run its course ....

There will be another Corona Virus Wave after Summer and only the most effective Vaccines will work.

These early vaccines are likely to be pretty much useless...

The Topic Title ..

should include

Is This Summer Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Answer to Both is No Chance. unfortunately ...

Digital Vaccine Passports

Denmark & Sweden are leading the way on this ... The EU will likely adopt a pan European approach so a C&P of the Danish Technology linked into Frontex.

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/buitenland/artikel/5215764/zweden-denemarken-vaccinatiepaspoort-vaccinatiebewijs-corona

Premier Johnson this afternoon has just announced a Death Nail for the UK International Tourism.
snow conditions
That's earlier than might have been expected, but will probably still be subject to testing and quarantine, depending on the infection/vaccination rates of the destination.

Some countries might still be on the red list, depending on their vaccination levels.

Be interesting to see which EU Countries have got their acts together by then. Possibility some Countries will still limit visitors to reduce the possibility of any early surges that can damage the main season.
snow conditions
@stanton, What are next week's lottery numbers?
latest report
@stanton, "Premier Johnson this afternoon has just announced a Death Nail for the UK International Tourism."

Boris: "Hey Rishi, who is this Stanton travel expert/vaccine efficacy expert?"

Rishi: " Travel expert?? No Boris, he's a renowned economist".

(PS It's death knell).
snow report
Today's announcement clinches it - the week in Switzerland that I was fondly holding on to in vain hope will be cancelled shortly.

Ah well, despite the doom and gloom of renowned epidemiologist Stanton, I will start planning 2022 trips instead. Very Happy

'Death nail' - Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
stanton wrote:

".....early vaccines are likely to be pretty much useless..."

Neils - Try reading this :: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/22/scotland-covid-vaccination-drive-linked-to-big-drop-in-hospital-admissions

"Scotland vaccination drive linked to big drop in hospital admissions
Pfizer jab cuts risk of admission by up to 85% four weeks after first dose, while AstraZeneca jab cuts risk by 94%, study finds"

and then apologies for all your misleading comments..
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
@stanton, "Premier Johnson this afternoon has just announced a Death Nail for the UK International Tourism."

Boris: "Hey Rishi, who is this Stanton travel expert/vaccine efficacy expert?"

Rishi: " Travel expert?? No Boris, he's a renowned economist".

(PS It's death knell).

Rishi: Oh and by the way he says next seasons going to be much more expensive. The cows in St Anton tell him these things.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Both Pfizer and AstraZenica vaccines are showing high rate of efficacy.

Every UK adult to be offered vaccination by end of July.

Regardless of international agreements in vaccine passports (which UK government is looking at, to report on April 12) - every UK resident who is vaccinated will be able to document it either through physical record obtained from their GP - or through the NHS app ( not the NHS Covid app ) - which details date, brand and batch number of the vaccine received.
ski holidays
Well at least we now know the answer is Nope

Next season though snowHead
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Well at least we now know the answer is Nope

Next season though snowHead

yep, end of thread?
snow conditions
Chalet booking cancelled.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
Yep, just cancelled our Airbnb too.
snow report
@Handy Turnip, god no this is SH - at least another 29 pages
snow report
Our kids were booked 29 March EDI-GVA with EasyJet and they are now showing not available.
No doubt a cancellation email will appear in the the next 48hrs.

Also our daughter at Newcastle Uni has mentioned that Wasteland has cancelled the uni ski trip for 7 April.
Hope they all manage to get a refund.
snow conditions
So with my outbound flights cancelled with BA does anybody know if that means we can reschedule for a date in the summer? Thinking some summer days in the mountains could be nice?
latest report
Any resorts likely to have any summer skiing, accessible from Geneva? I have never really looked into it before? Zermatt maybe?
snow report
Boris wrote:
@Handy Turnip, god no this is SH - at least another 29 pages

Laughing Laughing so true!!
ski holidays
I cancelled my airbnb and car hire for Easter weekend Crying or Very sad

I've not moved my (Easyjet) flights yet - or even my ones at the start of March! March ones I want to use in August or September this year, if I can... Easter ones I'll move to next year.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, BA have a schedule up to next February, so will show flights for summer. May be a limited schedule. Whether they will actually fly.........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy