Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It may not mean much for us Skiers, but a report on Sky News last night said Italy was looking at relaxing restrictions

Can't find the Sky news bit, but report here --

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210201-restaurants-and-museums-reopen-as-italy-relaxes-coronavirus-curbs
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kettonskimum wrote:

2. Politicians sharing their views of 'Great British Summers' and having booked their summer holidays in Cornwall are just trying to subliminally encourage UK residents drive money into the UK economy as opposed to another country
3. No overseas holidays (in main period of July/August) will just result in the collapse of yet another sector and so I think we will be 'allowed' to start thinking about summer holidays abroad from May with a view that travel corridors will be set up again just before summer school holidays

5. How we managed it I don't know, but last year we had a lovely 2 weeks in the French and Italian Alps at the start of August (which was booked months before Covid was an issue) - so, in my mind, if we could do that when there was no vaccine/full understanding then why on earth would summer holidays not happen this year? Add together warmer weather + vaccine + keep in place social distancing and you will see a different UK from May

Sorry - pent up thoughts and frustrations from a non-skiing, home schooling mum who's trying to keep from losing her mind......


At the risk of expanding this beyond 'Will I get to slide down an Alp?', it's not just holidays that are affected. Mrs Higs is Dutch. We did get over there last August when travel restrictions allowed but between then and now we'd normally have been over there (or some Dutch family would have been this way) twice maybe more and we'd certainly be either going over or receiving visitors in Spring and Summer. Cornwall, Norfolk and the Isle of Arran are all lovely places to visit in a Great British Summer but Mrs Higs won't see her dad, sisters, cousins, nephews and nieces there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@albob, Will be interesting if Italy (for example) opens up ski resorts and France doesn't, can see a bit of push back in France and maybe the EU trying to enforce a standard approach again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris wrote:
@albob, Will be interesting if Italy (for example) opens up ski resorts and France doesn't, can see a bit of push back in France and maybe the EU trying to enforce a standard approach again.


I was thinking the same, the French might interfere
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pejoli wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
Higs wrote:

They can be reversed as quickly as they were put in place and they will be reversed at some point. It's unlikely but if travel restrictions are removed before April 2nd, we're off. The only way I'll give up all hope of having a slide before time runs out is if all resorts/regions in driveable distance announce they're staying shut for the whole season.


Sure they will be reversed in due course. I would put the probability of them being reversed by the 2nd of April at somewhere around ħ. Non essential travel outside the UK before the autumn is just not going to happen.


Surely for skiers it’s 2ħ ?


That's to big a number Toofy Grin

For those without a science background ħ is the smallest number one can quickly represent from a keyboard (with a compose key, it's exactly three key presses but that's another story). It's Planks constant (one of the fundamental constants of the universe like the speed of light) which is already a incredibly small number at 6.62607015×10-³⁴ divided by 2π for an even smaller number. Probabilities are measured between zero (never going to happen) and one (guaranteed to happen). Such a small number means it is basically not happening.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the explanation @jabuzzard

Was meaning to look it up and you've saved me the effort!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jebroni3_16 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation @jabuzzard

Was meaning to look it up and you've saved me the effort!


Is no one going to get the joke !?! I don’t know why I bother ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pejoli, I hear you
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Surely for skiers it’s 2ħ ?


It's a good joke. It made me laugh at least...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This might be the best you can hope for this winter....
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-28/boy-dreaming-of-olympics-creates-ski-slopes-in-garden-for-practice
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jabuzzard wrote:
Pejoli wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
Higs wrote:

They can be reversed as quickly as they were put in place and they will be reversed at some point. It's unlikely but if travel restrictions are removed before April 2nd, we're off. The only way I'll give up all hope of having a slide before time runs out is if all resorts/regions in driveable distance announce they're staying shut for the whole season.


Sure they will be reversed in due course. I would put the probability of them being reversed by the 2nd of April at somewhere around ħ. Non essential travel outside the UK before the autumn is just not going to happen.


Surely for skiers it’s 2ħ ?


That's to big a number Toofy Grin

For those without a science background ħ is the smallest number one can quickly represent from a keyboard (with a compose key, it's exactly three key presses but that's another story). It's Planks constant (one of the fundamental constants of the universe like the speed of light) which is already a incredibly small number at 6.62607015×10-³⁴ divided by 2π for an even smaller number. Probabilities are measured between zero (never going to happen) and one (guaranteed to happen). Such a small number means it is basically not happening.


I thought Plank's constant was 2 x 4?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing @JamesHJ,
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JamesHJ 'I thought Planck's Constant = 2x4?' - Only if you're Schrodinger's Cat (called Heisenberg), who as soon as it looks at the number, finds it's turned into 2ħ .....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holy thread drift.....did this turn into today's science lesson?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pieman666 wrote:
Laughing @JamesHJ,

I thought so- been giggling to myself since last night! snowHead I might need to get out more.... snowHead
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Higs wrote:

At the risk of expanding this beyond 'Will I get to slide down an Alp?', it's not just holidays that are affected. Mrs Higs is Dutch. We did get over there last August when travel restrictions allowed but between then and now we'd normally have been over there (or some Dutch family would have been this way) twice maybe more and we'd certainly be either going over or receiving visitors in Spring and Summer. Cornwall, Norfolk and the Isle of Arran are all lovely places to visit in a Great British Summer but Mrs Higs won't see her dad, sisters, cousins, nephews and nieces there.


There are plenty of people living in Britain who have not seen their family who also live in Britain for much longer than that. I have not seen my brother and his family since March last year, and my mother has not seen them since December 2019. So cry me a river.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought this thread was meant to be about whether any of us might ski this season, not the 4 Yorkshiremen Sketch!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw this and thought of this thread.

Sorry for the thread drift...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To return to the thread, I was optimistic when this thread started that skiing at Easter would be possible.

I still think there is an outside chance, but realistically it won't be happening for me. Resorts may open March/April but I suspect the costs/hassle of travel (PCR test, quarantine etc) will make it a no-go.

That said, things can change quickly so I'm not cancelling my w/c 27th March until the absolute last moment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess we can forget about french ski resorts to open this year. Maintaining slopes and equipment costs a lot and even a very good end of season weather will not bring so mush people.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boris, yep same here. Flights are still booked for 10th April. Nothing else is booked.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gordyjh wrote:
I thought this thread was meant to be about whether any of us might ski this season, not the 4 Yorkshiremen Sketch!


Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thierryd, That's the key I think - even if they can open, will it be worth it? How many people would go to make it worthwhile - Easter is generally low season, but will there be a pent up demand?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris wrote:
@thierryd, That's the key I think - even if they can open, will it be worth it? How many people would go to make it worthwhile - Easter is generally low season, but will there be a pent up demand?


Pent up demand could be an understatement! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris wrote:
@thierryd, That's the key I think - even if they can open, will it be worth it? How many people would go to make it worthwhile - Easter is generally low season, but will there be a pent up demand?


I guess this will be closed but let's cross fingers for resorts like Tignes who may open the glacier....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do wonder if the pent up demand will provide enough momentum to get some value out of the final weeks of the season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Typical in a year when you could actually plan a trip to go skiing in Scotland with some certainty they are all closed Sad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-55903349

I seem to recall that the 2001 season which had good snow conditions in the UK was also blighted by an infectious disease, in that case foot and mouth.


Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 4-02-21 14:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think for small resorts they won’t bother opening but for large resorts if they can open say mid March to end of April and get 6 weeks worth of money in (I think people would go if they can) then they would go for it
The problem might be getting the staff in to run it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster wrote:
I do wonder if the pent up demand will provide enough momentum to get some value out of the final weeks of the season.
That's the very straw I'm clutching at.
Along with a clump of straws that result in 'I can travel to France without isolating on arrival and return to the UK without having to isolate for more than 7 days'
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m happy to isolate at home, I just need to be able to get to a resort & not isolate on arrival!
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So to have any chance of skiing this season we're relying on..

- the uk vaccination programme having an impact on cases, to allow Boris to ease travel restrictions so that we can actually travel. And to have workable quarantine rules in place, as most if us won't have been vaccinated by that point.
- border to restrictions in ski countries to be eased to allow the UK to travel there.
- covid cases in France etc to start to drop to allow restrictions on ski lifts to start running.
- resorts to actually make the commercial decision to run the lifts when they are allowed, with maybe only high resorts making the decision to open this season.
- or maybe looking to other less traditional countries such as Norway for our easter ski hols.

Or just wait till next year..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris wrote:
To return to the thread, I was optimistic when this thread started that skiing at Easter would be possible.

I still think there is an outside chance, but realistically it won't be happening for me. Resorts may open March/April but I suspect the costs/hassle of travel (PCR test, quarantine etc) will make it a no-go.

That said, things can change quickly so I'm not cancelling my w/c 27th March until the absolute last moment.


Same here! All booked (moved from last year’s cancellation!) for 21st March for a week in La Plagne. I know it’s highly unlikely but I’m holding on to hope! And may try to transfer to April if possible!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a week off work booked for 6th March but I’ve now swapped it until last week of April instead
If I can get a week’s ski touring in that would be a result
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We’ve just had early March flights (MAN-GVA) cancelled so now have last week of March and the May BH weekend booked. We’ll go out as soon as restrictions allow, even if it’s for some touring or failing that some cycling!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have British Airways been cancelling as many flights as EasyJet?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We had BA Zurich flights for end March and both legs were cancelled separately
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, Yep, loads being cancelled depending on country restrictions. However, with the UK+SA variant here. No one wants us so expect most flights to be cancelled.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep - in part would love to be on them but with current restrictions we aren’t going to be allowed. Worst scenario will be for them not to be cancelled despite restrictions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got an email today from my usual hotel in Obergurgl saying that they had decided that was it, they won't open this season and hopefully see us next?

Wasn't entirely clear but it seemed to infer it was purely their decision as opposed to any thing governmental.

Given that Obergurgl will probably be one of, if not the, latest non-glacier resorts to close in normal times that seems pretty significant to me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@robboj, Obergurgl still haven't opened their lifts this season, and this point I highly doubt they will!
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy