Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
@davidof,

“100% it came from a research lab in Wuhan, noting that Wuhan/Hubei was completely locked down by Mid-Jan.”

Is what they typed ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@davidof,

“100% it came from a research lab in Wuhan, noting that Wuhan/Hubei was completely locked down by Mid-Jan.”

Is what they typed ...

I didn’t say it was created in a lab. It was released from the lab, probably inadvertently and possibly as a result of shortcuts being taken with clinical disposals.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dravot wrote:
A number of people are falling into the propaganda trap..... this continued hysteria

Like calling countermeasure against a Global Pandemic 'continued hysteria' = Propaganda + hyperbole.

This 'continued hysteria'! soundbite works against political opponents, especially female ones, but is fairly ineffective against a virus. As we're seeing.

boobleblooble wrote:
a nation of cowards

Don't hang back - say what you think of your fellow Forum members.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Methinks the Russian bots are alive & well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowheads.

We have gone really off piste here !!!!!

When I started this thread it was meant to discuss the chances that people residing in the UK have of actually getting to the Alps this season.
As I stated, we know that the resorts will be open if they can be. Its likely that they will be. Many of us are sitting in the UK keeping our fingers crossed that we will be able to get there.
It really wasn't meant to get into a heated discussion about Covid or whether morally we should go or not. There are many other threads discussing those topics.
People who have already booked, or are thinking about booking a trip, are keen to know whats going on with things like: Will the country we are planning to visit have entry restrictions? Will our country allow us to fly? What may be the problems if we decide to drive or go by train? What changes are there likely to be in the resorts? There are many topics that will be relevant to this thread.
If you live in central Europe or in the resorts you probably won't face the same issues that we may be effected by here in the UK as there is a large body of water to cross at the start of our journey.
It may help people to decide if they really want to commit to booking a trip or leave it until last minute to decide.
Many of you are clearly very old hands when it comes to winter sports holidays. But many are fairly new to the scene and will really appreciate your experience and Knowledge.
So please, lets bring the discussion back to what it was originally intended for!
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we do get to Ski/Snowboard this season. I know lots of you are too.
Many thanks to all who have posted constructive comments
Regards
Eggfried.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Eggfried, +1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

People who have already booked, or are thinking about booking a trip, are keen to know whats going on with things like: Will the country we are planning to visit have entry restrictions? Will our country allow us to fly? What may be the problems if we decide to drive or go by train? What changes are there likely to be in the resorts? There are many topics that will be relevant to this thread.

Who knows? I mean, who really "KNOWS"???

Deep down, YOU KNOW no one knows. It will depends on how things are progressing.

So It's a bit like asking "will there be powder on the day I booked?". You're asking people to speculate. So you shouldn't be surprised it turns to politics and what not.

What you really want to discuss, I gathered, is "HOW DO I MANAGE THE UNCERTAINTY?". Or "Let's share the tricks and practice YOU ALL have put in the hope of managing the risk". But nowhere in your opening post did you ask for such practicalities.

Instead, you ask people to speculate.

Even your thread title, reads like a moaning thread of "I want to go skiing but I doubt it'll happen. So let's pass the time by speculating on anything and everything". Instead of asking HOW to make it happen, you're asking WILL it happen at all. In the latter case, all COVID related actions and reactions ARE part of the factor behind WHETHER you will have a ski trip! I'd say they're "on topic" Toofy Grin

(when I first saw the thread title, I had to check on the right to see if stanton was the OP rolling eyes )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eggfried wrote:
It’s now snowing in many parts of the Alps. I’m keeping everything crossed that We get to go. But with the so called Second-Wave quite clearly is starting to happen. What are our chances of skiing this season?

I think it is likely. However, where is another matter.

Eggfried wrote:

I’m sure the resorts will be open, but will we be allowed to travel?, or will they actually allow us into their countries?

At the moment it’s not looking great! [/quote]

We will probably be allowed to travel because it seems like many places are in a similar situation. You may need to be very flexible and also be willing to quarantine on the way out and on the way in. If you can work form home then you may be able to work from abroad. EG book a place in the country of interest and work there for 14 days before going on "holiday".

Appart from that. No one will have an idea.

Eggfried wrote:

Did Boris, By saying that we can expect these new measures to last for at least six months, give us an indication on how long he envisages it taking before we have an effective vaccination in place?

He will not know that. But he should know how long it takes to produce one once it is made. If not he should find out. PS that is not being political just some thoughts.
I think he is doing the correct thing by hedging because you saw what the USA did with one drug by buying it all.

Eggfried wrote:

The way it is currently it’s highly unlikely that we well get back below the ‘20’ number for quite some time!
But as I said, it’s Snowing out there and I’m itching to go !!
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regarding driving: I guess (a real guess) that with many wanting to drive then the ferries/eurotunnel will be booked up and expensive. Probably better to book a refundable flight (or one with a free cancel guarantee for a voucher), book a refundable hotel, book a hire care that is refundable. Wait until the last minute and book ski hire when en route to the airport and you know there is a location to go to.

Rather than decide on one location. Have two or three countries to choose from.

POtential locations are places that have little cases and a small enough population to not rapidly expand. EG Norway. Georgia.

For me the main consideration is..... if I get ill I will have to quarantine in the country. So what happens if I get really ill, what will it cost for 2 months in an ICU and will my insurance cover it. Because if it wont you could end up with a bill that may mean selling your house now that EHIC is not relevent (not being political).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@stanton’s skiing time

2019/2020 = Only circa 115 days due to the lockdown
2020/2021 = remains to be seen but I have been out already locally last week Very Happy

@stanton’s Good Info & Facts.

2019/2020 = 24 hours a day
2020/2021 = 24 hours a day

Keep an eye out on here for UK 3rd Nation status changes (from Jan 1st 2021)

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/schengen-countries-update-their-lists-of-third-country-residents-eligible-to-enter/

ETIAS (2022)

Make sure you have paid your French/Belgium etc speeding tickets & do ou not have a criminal record.

When people apply for ETIAS, they will be screened using several European security databases
including Interpol and Europol. Anyone who poses a security threat will be identified and prevented
from reaching European soil.

ETIAS will be highly regulated. Airlines, ferry firms, train operators and coach companies will
check that travellers have a valid ETIAS visa waiver before departure. All operators will be
required to verify, “that travellers are in possession of a valid travel authorisation”
Without a valid ETIAS, the visitor will not be able to board their transport to Europe.

If a British person travels to a Schengen country without an ETIAS visa waiver,
they will not be allowed to enter the country. The EU said:

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/etias-visa-how-will-it-affect-uk-citizens

@James77, Class 1 Covidiot ...

You like most other Covidiots are mistakenly comparing other causes of death (cancer,car accidents,strokes blah blah) which are Not Airborne diseases & Highly Contagious like Covid19.

Stop Travelling around (even in your own country)

Economies will recover
CV19 Recovered could have a lifetime of ill health
CV19 The Dead will NEVER recover.

STAY AT HOME
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will be attempting to go as much as I can.

In my favour:
- I'm Irish (though currently living in England)
- I can work from home if I do need to quarantine

I've got a week booked over NY in Chamonix, which I will be on if at all possible! If not, I can cancel my accommodation free of charge until the day before, and move my flights. I'm currently thinking of booking a quick weekend immediately before xmas (again, with accom I can cancel, and flights I can move) - but while I can quarantine at home after NY if I want, I REALLY want to get back to Ireland for xmas, and so won't ski that weekend if I would have to quarantine.

I'll try to get some other trips in too (a week at end Jan, Easter weekend, and EoSB being the key aims, plus short notice weekends) - the approach I'm taking is accepting that I will likely pay for for accommodation with a good cancellation policy, booking flights at short notice, insurance cover etc. But I'm expecting to be in the Alps a fair amount less than the past few years, so overall spend will still be a bit less.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I've got a week booked over NY in Chamonix, which I will be on if at all possible! If not, I can cancel my accommodation free of charge until the day before, and move my flights. I'm currently thinking of booking a quick weekend immediately before xmas (again, with accom I can cancel, and flights I can move)

The key difference being "I" vs "we"!

For a solo (or a couple whose partner has the same mindset), the key to next season is simple. Be flexible. "with accom I can cancel, and flights I can move", AGAIN, and again. Book as many as you have time for. A few of them may not work out. But some will bound to work out!

But for a family, with kids, or job that aren't flexible, having to book ONE single trip? Even if you get all your money back, you still end up missing the trip if it falls on the "wrong" time. Then you still have to deal with the "mood", disappointment of the trip not happening. Or, you miss the "other window" that you could have gone, etc.

Uncertain time isn't the time for advance planning. More important to manage expectations.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Re the valid 'How do I manage uncertainty?' comment:

When I looked at the Eurotunnel schedules for our usual end-of-January excursion I was surprised to find the prices pretty much as 'normal' and the system saying the crossings were 'Busy'. This is for mid-weekdays outside school holidays. So I went ahead and boooked them on the basis that even if they turned out to be useless it wasn't too much of a loss. Now, at least we can get across the Channel and do so without having to leave the car.

My guess was that if bookings flag and/or a lot of car bookings get rescheduled, Eurotunnel will just switch to freight, which is always in demand. So it wasn't going to get cheaper and could go up a lot as people switch from flying to self-drive.

This all I think anyone can reliably do. Flying involves too much uncontrolled exposure for me i.e. so much is out of my control re passenger density at the airport and on the 'plane. And of course, there's the added uncertainty about the immigration processing time for non-EU status. At least on Eurotunnel, any delays or barriers to entry are happening on UK soil near to home, not on arrival at a foreign airport.

As for accommodation, I feel it's too early to say. I suppose that there's some argument to provisionally book but usually it's not long before you have to put down a substantial deposit which is then at risk. If providers are offering a 'no-cancellation-charge', then why are they asking for a deposit? Presumably the 'no-cancellation-charge' must be specific to quarantine etc. and I can see a lot of disputes around that. Yes, travel insurers are beginning to (apparently) cover for refunds on quarantine conditions, but I have the same reservations of actual claims turning into a fine-print-fest of arguments about interpretation etc. along the same lines as after March. And any tour operator guarantees are to me compromised: will they actually stand by any guarantees? Will they even be in business by then?

We're lucky because owning an apartment, we can just reserve it for our own use as usual and then see. Potential clients still have to pay a deposit and as an owner, I can't think of any other equitable model. I'd rather people left it 'till the last minute and then made a non-refundable booking versus complicated Ts&Cs around quarantine declarations etc. And who is to arbitrate if an ownwer and client are in dispute? In the end, I think that outside school hols, it'll be easy to get accommodation short notice.

But I do understand there's a concern that for those limited to the school holiday weeks, leaving it 'till the last minute is problematic.

I also think that a lot of discussions conflate two separate issues (a) the logistics vs (b) actually getting ill. All the above is really just logistics. The worst outcome is you don't go and for whatever reason, lose any money you've paid out. But the second concern is just what will it be like to get a serious COVID infection in a resort/area where lots of other people get it too. Which is equally speculative and uncertain at the moment.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 3-10-20 16:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fixx, what are your plans if you realise you have COVID, or are tracked and traced, in resort?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

As for accommodation, I feel it's too early to say. I suppose that there's some argument to provisionally book but usually it's not long before you have to put down a substantial deposit which is then at risk.

Not all accommodation work that way.

Hotels, for example, typically don't require a deposit. They just put a "hold" on your credit card. A cancellation is simply a release of that hold.

What I'm seeing through the summer is another phenomenon. Because of all the liberal cancellation policy, there're a lot of last minute availability. I strongly suspect that's when the previously booked rooms got cancelled last minute! A lot of those optimistically booked properties got released back into the market.

Quote:

And any tour operator guarantees are to me compromised: will they actually stand by any guarantees? Will they even be in business by then?

But that's what insurance are for. Not much fine print to argue about. (but I wouldn't do a package deal that involves multiple entities though)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On reflection, if you wanted me to nail my colours to the mast re de-risking next season, I would say that if you're going outside the school holidays, and aren't a big group, then definitely self-drive and self-cater. Book the Channel crossing now and wait 'till the last minute to book an apartment.

The problems come when the two elements of risk (logistical and infection) overlap: going by ferry adds extra infection risk; staying in a hotel adds extra infection risk; flying ditto; shared transfer ditto; and so on. So yes, we can probably get a good handle on how to approach the logistics, but at the moment (although I may be out of date on the data) how much these infection risks are significant isn't well quantified.

For example, I'd have thought that getting a train from the airport to my ski resort (2½ hours) would be a big extra risk, but research by the German and Chinese railways found zero evidence of any transmissions on train journeys of under 8-10 hours (I know, they would say that, wouldn't they? Even so....). So perhaps all the flying risks are similarly over-stated ....
latest report
Regarding ferries or tunnel, I wouldn't bother booking early. We came across the channel a week and a half ago. Prices were at the upper end of normal booking two days ahead, not because they are busy, but there is not enough non-commercial trade to bother to compete for. We traveled the day Calais port was closed, and our alternate ferry to Dunkerque had 15 cars, 10 vans and one campervan (us).
snow conditions
If you are going to Italy you may be going to Hotel California.

Quote:
"We are completely isolated, food is delivered to the door at lunch and dinner time; we get three plastic tubs," said Mr James, who has Coeliac Disease, and said he kept being given food he could not eat, and was not allowed to have food delivered. The group have swab tests done once a week, but have been told they need to have two consecutive negative tests - or a double negative - before they can leave the hotel rooms.
"We've had five swab tests now, and they've all tested positive. But we have had two doctors come and tell us that we are no longer contagious. We are getting so many mixed messages," he said.

Watching BBC Breakfast this morning, the Italian policy is still continuing. Some women had been having alternating positive and negative tests, but never two consecutive negative tests.
snow report
achilles wrote:
If you are going to Italy you may be going to Hotel California.

Quote:
"We are completely isolated, food is delivered to the door at lunch and dinner time; we get three plastic tubs," said Mr James, who has Coeliac Disease, and said he kept being given food he could not eat, and was not allowed to have food delivered. The group have swab tests done once a week, but have been told they need to have two consecutive negative tests - or a double negative - before they can leave the hotel rooms.
"We've had five swab tests now, and they've all tested positive. But we have had two doctors come and tell us that we are no longer contagious. We are getting so many mixed messages," he said.

Watching BBC Breakfast this morning, the Italian policy is still continuing. Some women had been having alternating positive and negative tests, but never two consecutive negative tests.

Their mistake was getting tested. If they just self isolated in their Airbnb all would have been fine.
ski holidays
I don't see what the issue is.

The UK seems to have some many newly qualified doctors, professors of medicine and virologists that the NHS is safe and secure for decades to come.

The amount of people, on here, social media or just in the pub trying to sound smart because they are quoting stuff from the internet (often without fact checking, or it being peer-reviewed etc) is embarrassing.

And then you argue over whose internet research is the best!

This thread was meant to be about how, if possible people from the UK can go skiing this season. About sharing ideas or advice. People who feel they want to and can manage the risks involved.

Not about what your POV or opinion about CV19 is.

Some of you really need to A, get over yourselves, B, get out more (in a safe and secure manner Very Happy )
latest report
Eggfried wrote:

we know that the resorts will be open if they can be. Its likely that they will be. .

For France I wouldn't say that. If there is significant infection in any ski area the govt. won't hesitate to close it. I doubt all or even a majority resorts will be closed like you encountered on your last trip though.

Which is why people above are saying to be flexible.
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, probably true, though I wonder what their Airbnb host would have made of it. However if you are tracked and traced and instructed to take a test, how would you handle that?
snow report
It seems the locals are worried us Brits won't turn up...

This is part of an email from YSE Ski in Val...

This is the year when you can have your own chalet:

with spacious living rooms:

and comfortable bedrooms:

FOR A BARGAIN PRICE!!!!

People in Val d'Isère are dead worried that the Brits won't come this winter. We know the owners of chalets with from two to eight bedrooms who will probably accept any reasonable offer for the whole season. Far less than we've been paying for years (grrrrr...)! Make an offer, and we'll pass it on. If you can take the whole season off, or share a chalet with friends, this could be the winter of a lifetime.

(And there's no risk: if Val d'Isère has to close for Covid, you'll only pay pro rata.)

If only I could afford to spend the season being a posh ski bum Laughing
snow conditions
I guess a lot of people are in the same boat.

Countries not on a safe list to travel, meaning normal insurance is void.
If there becomes a window of opportunity, then bookings can change quite quickly.
Airfares will go up same as channel crosses.

We sitting on our hands and waiting. Everything is an option atm, inc. saving the money for extra weeks the following year, or going to another continent.

If there is a silver bullet of a vaccine, then there is going to be mad scramble for every type of holiday! People will just want to get away for a holiday!
ski holidays
We pulled the trigger on Feb half-term. A £250 deposit, 80% refundable on accommodation, and the Euro star tickets are on a rolling transferable voucher from last season. The deal we found was well worth the potential loss cost for a HT week. Fingers crossed for Morllion next season.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
@Themasterpiece, probably true, though I wonder what their Airbnb host would have made of it. However if you are tracked and traced and instructed to take a test, how would you handle that?

Airbnb host would never know. Just say you need to extend your stay. Worst case find another place to self-isolate, which involves moving but no worse than going to get a test in the first place.

Trace and trace in which system? The UK app isn’t applicable abroad and you can’t enter a foreign test result in there anyway. And any local app only knows what you enter.
latest report
abc wrote:

But for a family, with kids, or job that aren't flexible, having to book ONE single trip? Even if you get all your money back, you still end up missing the trip if it falls on the "wrong" time. Then you still have to deal with the "mood", disappointment of the trip not happening. Or, you miss the "other window" that you could have gone, etc.

Uncertain time isn't the time for advance planning. More important to manage expectations.

@abc, totally fair - my greatest sympathies to anyone trying to navigate this with kids. Two of my best friends take their kids skiing every year, and we're trying to work out what they can do, without promising anything. We've been thinking of some snowdome trips if possible - the boys loooooove showing off their tricks and skills to me, way more than to their own parents Laughing But then we don't want to get their hopes up of an actual ski trip if it isn't possible.

I guess the biggest advantage I have is that most of my trips are to the place where my holiday/ski buddies live year round (though they're already disappointed I won't be around more - but understanding). So it's easier for me to move things last minute. I know that's an incredibly privileged position, and not doable for most people Sad

achilles wrote:

@fixx, what are your plans if you realise you have COVID, or are tracked and traced, in resort?

1. insurance (yes, it'll cost more than normal years)
2. personal contingency fund to cover extended accommodation
3. bring my work laptop with me, so I can work from there if needed (already cleared with my company)

I'm also considering the risk of getting COVID there to be low, as I've already had it - but probably increasing all the time, as we don't know how long antibodies last for, and 10-12 months is possibly a stretch. Being tracked and traced is probably more likely, but of course I'll be taking all appropriate precautions while there.

I had originally budgeted for an extended amount of time working in Chamonix again this winter - so a good amount for accommodation, flights, co-working space fees, driving a car out there etc. That has all changed, so my general projected spend for the winter has gone down, giving me some contingency. The cost per ski-day will definitely be higher, but I'm trying to remain hopeful that I'll be able to get some skiing done!
snow conditions
@Eggfried, Agreed
ski holidays
Given yesterday's figures I am now torturing myself with the prospect of France implementing a quarantine on British arrivals. I had sort of put that in the low probability/high impact pile of risks but I am now getting nervous of that happening. That is a very difficult one to mitigate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:

2. personal contingency fund to cover extended accommodation
3. bring my work laptop with me, so I can work from there if needed (already cleared with my company)

That's two very strong advantages.

Most people's dread centers on the the double risk of paying for accommodation AND losing income if they are forced to quarantine extended period of time.

If you're in the enviable position of removing ONE of the two risk factor by working remotely, you're way ahead of majority of people. I'm in a similar position, and gone through the same calculation. I can work extensively from anywhere. AND have personal saving to cover whatever extra accommodation if I'm stuck some place. So financially, I'm perfectly able to do it!

It's only the risk of catching the darn virus on the plane/airport that's stopping me from planning any ski trips. I'm still "young" enough that missing one year of skiing is no big deal. So it's a much safer bet than a chance of getting Covid badly enough to ruin my health for the rest of my life. To be honest, if there's no end in sight of the pandemic, I'd be more willing to embrace the risk and get "back to normal" of living my life NOW! But with a high probability of the virus being contained (hopefully by vaccine, but if not, by herd immunity of the more gung-ho risk takers) and a "true normal" in 2022, I'm playing it safe to skip 2021.
snow report
Ryanair have cut down their Stansted-Salzburg service this winter. Usually it's 5 days a week, now it's Saturdays and Sundays only.
ski holidays
Rumours I am hearing from Monte Rosa Ski is that they are thinking of implementing a plan that will be severely limiting the sale of weekend tickets.
All prepaid and prebooked, no walk ups maybe no season pass access at weekends with restricted trips on the gondola.
Time to get yar yomp on....

@Gilberts Fridge, 90 days in any consecutive 180 days in Schengen area (France being in the Schengen) although i can see back to backing that to 180/360
Funny that the eastern europeans have more travel flexibility the brits now but I guess that's one of the dividends of taking back control...being kettled.
latest report
Dravot wrote:
A number of people are falling into the propaganda trap....42000 haven't died FROM Covid; they have died WITH Covid. A stark and fundamental difference..

That holds for any virus you absolute edjit. rolling eyes
ski holidays
I think it would reassure potential clients a lot if resort authorities said that in the first instance, they would only close down resorts to new arrivals in the event of an outbreak. As opposed to what we saw in March when resorts basically told everyone to be out of the place after the next Saturday. This would leave all the existing arrangements in place for moving people out of the resort in a calm manner. And then subsequently, once the main 1 and 2-week trippers had gone, to have a set process for other groups to repatriate (like foreign chalet staff), again in tranches, so everything was calm. Yes, it would take 3-4 weeks to fully depopulate the resort, but the 1 and 2-week segment must be the numerically largest proportion of visitors and they would all be gone within a couple of weeks. It would also give the resort authorities time to see whether the situation had stabilised or improved enough to reverse the process, and re-open the place to new arrivals. Resorts can send out all the reassuring emails they like, but if there's still the threat of 100% sudden closure, people are going to be put off from booking. So whay not say "No, if you're in the resort for 1 or 2 weeks, whatever happens, you won't have to go home early. You'll always know that once you leave home, you're going to have a holiday with us."
latest report
@LaForet, I agree, it would be a good idea to have some kind of sensible plan in place.

Parts of France going back into semi lockdown. In Paris bars closed now - it is like a ghost town anyway. Restaurants to stay open. Universities and schools are supposed to be at 50% capacity from Tuesday. That means teachers will do their teaching face to face then repeat the process online. 50% is worse than is sounds. Because the govt. decided to lower the Bac pass criteria the universities are rammed - sometimes 50% overcapacity in classrooms. So it will be more like 75% working from home, but which 75%? and does it work constitutionally as it is not the famous "égalité" that is enshrined in law. They say it is for 2 weeks but if things don't improve soon it will just be the start.

Now some UK universities are already doing 50% but they've been preparing since March for this method of working, not suddenly had it forced upon them.

Social distancing, French style:-

http://youtube.com/v/ViMBph9nLoY

you probably don't want to share a chairlift with these kids this winter.
latest report
I gather the Ski club are a point of disagreement on here

Just to say they have cancelled the 1st of the trips to Tignes

Not a good start or sign for certain parts of the Ski holidays all round
snow report
Half-term ski holidays nearly full as families scramble to book -

This headline Taken from the Telegraph Ski section on line - published 2nd October. (Can also be found on Twitter buy searching using the title)

If this is correct it would appear that lots of resorts are heavily booked for this period already. They obviously have a while before having to lay out the full cost, especially if booking through a T/O. But it shows that people are still willing to book if required in order to secure the trip that they want.
snow conditions
@Seagull66,
Quote:

Is that the Ski Club Premier Party in Tignes. 6th to 13th December that they have cancelled?
ski holidays
No not yet

28/11 to 5/12 Week before - Not sure how many Package trips will run against the FCDO ?

Looks like DIY is the way most will have to go if the early season is going to happen
snow report
@Eggfried, I would be very sceptical of anyone reporting real heavy bookings. Remember saying not many places left is a normal sales scam. For example, before coming out here to Spain I looked on an online booking site for pitch availability. It reported just 4 pitches left. Didn't book, just turned up, and apart from permanents there is nobody else here apart from us! Over a hundred empty pitches.
latest report
Seagull66 wrote:

Not really a point of disagreement. Everyone acknowledges that they exist (for now). Might even save members money if SCGB have to cancel all their lossmaking Freshtracks holidays this year wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy