Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

driving at new year?

Poster: A snowHead
normally drive to france to ski, this year probably not happening..... i believe that it should be possible (currently to drive to italy) via belgium and germany as long as you dont stop in france / switzerland etc which should be possible barring the car breaking down etc.... any thoughts / tips or has anyone done this way down to italy etc.....

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ajc2260626, Who knows, things might be different by then? I'd personally book nothing for now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing Cheers @Markymark29, have you actually got any knowledge to give on the subject though ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

normally drive to france to ski, this year probably not happening..... i believe that it should be possible (currently to drive to italy) via belgium and germany as long as you dont stop in france / switzerland etc which should be possible barring the car breaking down etc.... any thoughts / tips or has anyone done this way down to italy etc.....

Yes, we did it in the summer. You are allowed to drive through both Austria and France provided you don't stop. A quarantine had been applied to France when we returned from the Dolomites. On the first day day of the return we drove to Saarbrucken for an overnight stop. Then before leaving Germany filled up with fuel, food and drink and simply drove to Calais. No preoblems at all.

I beleive you also cannot stop in Luxenberg or Belgium either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ajc2260626, what is possible at the moment probably will not be next week, who knows what the situation will be in 3 months time. At the moment you can transit from Calais via France and Belgium into Germany (best non stop as many parts are defined as high risk by Germany). Then drive south through Germany and Austria (Switzerland possible too) into Italy. On the return you would be unable to stop in either Switzerland or in Austria (note that this would apply on the outbound trip too if you return to UK less than 14 days later). Again transit non stop through Belgium and France to Calais - only the tunnel not ferries. Personally I cant see how this is a reasonable option far too many things can go wrong. If New Year holidays are an option at all probably far more sensible to fly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, clearly no one knows what going to happen etc but I will be booking stuff with free cancellation etc and have a freq traveller acct with eurotunnel hence I wondered how people had done it etc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Cheers @Markymark29, have you actually got any knowledge to give on the subject though ?

Plenty but its a waste of time thinking about it imo, was all geared up to do a trip to Austria 5 weeks ago but decided not to based on what
@munich_irish, says above - too much to go wrong, add in Brexit and it just seems like best to wait and see and potentially do a trip later in the season if things improve (but i'm not holding my breath).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All this 'non-stop' talk worries my, at 80 ish fully loaded (kids, gear, skis on roof) I only get about 300 or so to a tank and I fill up a 1/4 full to avoid being caught out so less range.

Are you not even allowed to stop for a comfort break and fill up if you're masked up etc?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, personally i like to hope the best but plan for the worse, but each to their own i guess wink

@James77, i would knock it down to 70mph and you will probably get another 70 miles, even so you should be fine to make it to the countries where you can stop, i would say that you aren't allowed to come into contact with any other people, so i would say if its a comfort break next to the car you would be ok but not going into the services for example
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@James77, It's about 520km from Saarbrucken to Calais, so if you fill up before the German border you should make it to Calais. If as @ajc2260626, says you cut your spead to 70 you should make it easily. 300 miles seams a very small range for a car these days. My wife's large estate car does over 600.

You are permitted to stop in remote places to, and I quote, "walk a dog" I'm not sure if that is a euphenism, but you can stop in a remote aire to releive yourself. You cannot, however, stop to refuel or go to a service station. By accident we had cut across country to Metz and there were plenty of remote places to stop. That part of France is very empty.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ajc2260626, The inference in your comment is that i'm taking a pessamistic viewpoint, well at £3-4k in and with wasted/ deferred trips on planes/ boats/ tunnels/ ski passes and hotels over end of last winter and the summer i'd say i've thrown enough time/ money and effort at planning worst case scenarios, and on the balance of probability it's a more realistic likelyhood that a self drive end December is a waste of time and money, but i'll leave that to you to find out. Like I said i'll wait and see wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Markymark29, not all but if you do it smartly eg free cancellation etc you won’t lose any cash. I did this over the summer a couple of times
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, I drive a petrol Volvo XC60 T5, at best I get 35-36mpg on a motorway. The sort of driving I do diesel doesn't make sense the vast majority being local around town where you don't see much more benefit from a Diesel and with oil dilution regen issues on modern Diesels I think I'd be back and forth to dealers to have the sump drained.

If you did stop for fuel how would they know, I presume it's based on your honesty?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just a thought, if needed wouldn't it be possible to get off the motorway next to a village with a deserted gas station? Unlikely you'll have (m)any people around...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We did Germany to Calais when returning late August with around 70 miles of range left in the tank after having filled up in Germany adjacent to Strasbourg. Merc e220 diesel estate fully loaded with bikes and box on roof. Mostly drove at around 130-140kph. In any case it’s fine to stop in France if using a pay-at—pump petrol station and you don’t mix. We stopped at a remote services to go to the loo which we declared to the border control at Calais and he confirmed it was fine as we didn’t mix
snow report
@James77, Gulp. OK my wife's car only does 45 mpg when on the Autobahn, but it has a decent size tank - 65 litres or 70 litres when I drive it to the <5 miles left limit.
snow report
IIRC we made it from Ulm to Oxford before we needed fuel.
ski holidays
This summer, when we went down to the Swiss Alps and back via France, the French service station petrol stations we used all had Pay@Pump on at least some of the pumps, though not every one.

Until the FO declared Quarantine from Switzerland, the return plan was to take a break at the odd aire and fill up at pay@pumps in transit through France (FO rules were that stopping was OK as long as you didn't 'mingle'). Once the FO did their thing re CH (so we had to Quarantine on returning anyway), we decided to shop en route coming home after all, but at a smaller Atac. It was noticeable in the Franche-Comté that everyone was wearing masks indoors and on the street. We completed the requisite French Interior Ministry forms (1 per person down, and a different one back) and printed them, and the UK Covid Travel Registration forms (which initially didn't generate any PDF for later use).

Entering France from Switzerland, we were just waved through (all that effort to complete and print the French version of the transit forms!). At Eurotunnel Immigration, after we got our Boarding Letter, we had the gov.uk Covid form ready on our mobiles - the dialogue then was "Where have you been?" / "Switzerland." / "OK have you completed your Covid Forms?" / "Yes." / "Great, have a good crossing.". And that was it. - never showed the Q-Code anyway.

Overall, my impression was that the French weren't that worried about foreigners driving through the country if they traverse within a day, stop at a deserted aire and fill-up outdoors at a Pay@Pump. On reflection, I wondered if they have so many international lorries in transit across the country, they're probably not that concerned about GB holiday vehicles. The other thing I took away was that UK Immigration just doesn't have the manpower/time to even ask for your Q-Code let alone divert vehicles to a waiting area so that Brits who haven't registered do so before boarding.

That was then, of course, and who can know what gets imposed this winter.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-09-20 9:18; edited 5 times in total
snow report
The guidance (for England) re. whether you will have to self isolate if you stop in a country not on the exempt list is here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#transit-stops
latest report
Interestingly, the Swiss Quarantine list references individual Départments, not France as a whole. Which is quite encouraging - at least it doesn't tar everyone with the same brush. It might be that by next year, this is being done on a more finely-granular level generally. Perhaps allowing you to chart a route that is a little more finely-scaled than just avoiding/routing-via a particular country. Although, of course, whatever the rules, you'd have to question how it would be enforced. And if you're on Eurotunnel or a Dover ferry, you're obviously scuppered if the Pas-de-Calais is a 'red'zone' ....
ski holidays
@LaForet, Key here is to take Eurotunnel and not a ferry as with ferry you are forced to leave the vehicle and mix with others. I recall when France had department based quarantine towards the end of their lockdown they allowed transiting through a red-zone providing one did not get out and mix.
latest report
I should add - make sure you begin your journey before 1 Jan so you are covered by the EHI health card, for the duration of tour trip, should UK crash out of Europe without a deal.
snow conditions
Has anyone given a thought to the smooth handling of goods into the uk after the 1st?
I trust this government to handle it with intelligent competence with no detrimental impact on any bottle necks into the UK, especially if that lovable Scottish orphan is handling it.
ski holidays
Super Steezy wrote:
Has anyone given a thought to the smooth handling of goods into the uk after the 1st?
I trust this government to handle it with intelligent competence with no detrimental impact on any bottle necks into the UK, especially if that lovable Scottish orphan is handling it.

Weird, I was convinced this was a thread about travelling to ski somewhere Toofy Grin
snow report
@ajc2260626, A few years back we drove from the northwest to Madonna di Campiglio "almost" non-stop. A 28hr journey IIRC but it was half term and we did hit motorway queues south of Stuttgart. We used the ferry back then as it allowed us a short break and the chance to eat. Other than that it was mainly fuel and comfort stops. I added my son to our insurance so we had 3 drivers. I vaguely recall fuelling up in Luxembourg. Other route markers being Karlsruhe, Ulm and Innsbruck. Finally over the Brenner Pass. (12 € I think). Some great scenery en-route but going over to Italy as darkness fell wasn't hugely enjoyable to our tired eyes. Roughly 1800 kms each way.

Incidentally, after chatting to a couple of UK coach drivers we completely revised our return journey. We drove westwards across northern Italy. Then up through Switzerland. (Carnet bought at the border). Far less traffic, fantastic roads and zero holdups.
ski holidays
Quote:

Weird, I was convinced this was a thread about travelling to ski somewhere

It could be very important if say there is a 20km queue of lorries waiting to get to Calais. Or, indeed, how we in a car declare that we are importing 2 bottles of wine and a German sausage.

I think this could be a huge stumbling block in our transport plans
snow conditions
@johnE, Likewise if the French fishermen get arsy about access to UK waters then I cant see much going in or out of Calais harbour.
ski holidays
@johnE Never fear. The Government will just take the same approach as with the Covid Declaration. There will be a new website set up that will take ages to get working and crash all the time initially. Then you'll have to spend three hours completing the various forms for your wine and sausages. Then get a PDF emailed to you except it won't render unless you have the latest Apple iOS v.23.4.7.12 or newer. You'll turn up at Eurotunnel Immigration finally having mastered how to get the Q-Code to display and they'll do what they did with us: "Have you done your customs forms?", "Yes. Here's the Q ..."', "Great. Have a good journey."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, Laughing mmm........don't forget the 12 lanes into 2 open booths at Eurotunnel terminal, and the overflow carpark backed up with all lanes full.
snow report
LaForet wrote:
@johnE Never fear. The Government will just take the same approach as with the Covid Declaration. There will be a new website set up that will take ages to get working and crash all the time initially. Then you'll have to spend three hours completing the various forms for your wine and sausages. Then get a PDF emailed to you except it won't render unless you have the latest Apple iOS v.23.4.7.12 or newer. You'll turn up at Eurotunnel Immigration finally having mastered how to get the Q-Code to display and they'll do what they did with us: "Have you done your customs forms?", "Yes. Here's the Q ..."', "Great. Have a good journey."

Or just ask other half to complete form for you as you are driving.
snow conditions
I wonder if we will be allowed any duty free imports or will we have to pay duty on our sausages?
snow report
Got my January trip lined up ...planning a round europe trip.. 1 week in the Dolomites 1 week in L2A and a week in Andorra ..2000 miles ...just arranged with the hotels though nothing definitly booked and if I can get across the Channel and the inter country access is OK I will ring and confirm ...but remember to get your Green Card before you go
snow report
Quote:

but remember to get your Green Card before you go

And your international driving licence
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, wrote "..We drove westwards across northern Italy. Then up through Switzerland.."

You mind detailing your route back please (thinking of doing the same next year)
latest report
@albob, TBH I think we basically just followed the satnav. Initially towards Bergamo then north of Milan. Probably Lugano as I definitely remember thinking that the carnet was good value after driving through the 17km Gotthard road tunnel. (A2/E35) Vaguely remember skirting around Lucerne and probably Basle ,Mulhouse and Colmar. From that point you can head NW towards Nancy or continue to Strasbourg. Sorry I can't be a bit more specific but we were winging it a bit after changing plans at the last minute. Main reason being the sheer volume of traffic that we had encountered on the way down. (half term, seemed like half of Europe was on the road wink )
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, A couple years ago we drove back from Venice in less than 24 hours and that was pretty much the route we followed. It is a much easier route than across Austria and Germany.
@albob, Try Google maps from Milan to Calais and choose the eastern route
latest report
thanks both
latest report
@johnE, [quote]

@GeorgeVII, A couple years ago we drove back from Venice in less than 24 hours and that was pretty much the route we followed. It is a much easier route than across Austria and Germany.

Definitely. There seemed to be an awful lot of bottlenecks on the southern Germany/Austria route. Wasn't helped at the time by long sections of roadworks near Stuttgart. And what I think were pollution control restrictions on some of the Austrian road tunnels. Trade off was a somewhat slow drive (after fresh snow) through the very scenic Fern Pass.

We only had 2 drivers for our return journey but it was certainly quicker time-wise and felt less stressful.
ski holidays
[quote="GeorgeVII"]@johnE, [quote]

@. Trade off was a somewhat slow drive (after fresh snow) through the very scenic Fern Pass.

[/quote

I came back in early February and left San Vigilio(Kronplatz) at the same time as friends going back via the Ferne Pass ...my sat nav sent me on a very peculiar route via Garmisch and outer Munich ..they caught up with me after Ulm.and I dont drive that fast and filled up in Innsbruck....
latest report
so essentially what i have gleaned from the various posts are the following.....

- its quite possible to do it, with a bit of planning....
- if doing an overnight then the germany route is the best option
- you can drive through france IF you dont stop and mix ie a comfort break at an aire is ok and you can only fill up at the automatic pumps etc
- the risks are if you break down as then you will have mixed....

all this though is against the back drop that we are assuming that come the new year that italy is still open etc.....

Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy