Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2020/2021. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Grinning wrote:
Anyone know how many more beds this Club Med will have compared to the old one it replaces. The new one is being billed as a “resort” and it looks big enough in its own right!

I don't have a number, but whatever it is is in addition, rather than a replacement isn't it? Club Med will move out of their current hotel, but someone else will move in.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, so let’s compare Tignes for beginners in December with, say, the beginner friendly greens and blues just above Courchevel 1850 base station, or Belle Plagne, or Les Menuires, on the south facing sunny slopes.
All of those places also have good options for confident beginner progression, usually towards the end of Week 1. Tignes and Val D’Isere have relatively little of that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PeakyB wrote:
OK, so let’s compare Tignes for beginners in December with, say, the beginner friendly greens and blues just above Courchevel 1850 base station, or Belle Plagne, or Les Menuires, on the south facing sunny slopes.
All of those places also have good options for confident beginner progression, usually towards the end of Week 1. Tignes and Val D’Isere have relatively little of that.

This is the Tignes forum so I was adding info on that topic.
I have less experience of 3v & la Plagne and I’m not a beginner. My friends who have stayed with me in early Dec have included beginners who progressed well enough to venture to Val and spectate the ladies World Cup events. They certainly enjoyed themselves.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grinning, agreed, of course. So am I, by comparing Tignes with other areas open at the time the OP intends to visit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PeakyB wrote:

When I went to Courchevel before Christmas, there was so little snow (links closed), we were bussed to Val Thorens (well over an hour) - and even there, the snow was poor, so we were bussed to Tignes, where the snow was much better (it's proximity to the Italian Border, means it also gets snow from the South East as well).

I completely agree that the Greens around Courchevel 1850 are ideal and better than Tignes - but if booking in advance, I personally would not risk Courchevel very early season. Belle Plagnes would be fine. All of course, IMO.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 7-09-21 22:48; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, Yip - and there is plenty of beginner terrain available in Tignes / Val d...........you just need to know where it is.

The Solaise above V dI for example has been specifically developed as it has a lot of wee wee easy runs for beginners, with a brilliant brand new up and down lift and good facilities at the top.

Plenty of absolute beginners stuff around Tignes as well - and to be frank, if I was in a mixed group I wouldnt be keen on going to somewhere with "lots of greens and blues around the resort". Lots of my friends (and their other halves) have actually gone from novice level in Espace Killy (as was) over the years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thelem wrote:
Grinning wrote:
Anyone know how many more beds this Club Med will have compared to the old one it replaces. The new one is being billed as a “resort” and it looks big enough in its own right!

I don't have a number, but whatever it is is in addition, rather than a replacement isn't it? Club Med will move out of their current hotel, but someone else will move in.

Club Med have evacuated their old premises in Tignes and there is now a tarpaulin sign obscuring the Club Med signage with a Belambra sign: https://www.belambra.fr/club-tignes-le-diva/hiver

I don’t know whether Club B is a sub-brand of Club Med …. It all feels rather Machiavellian
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Belambra are another large chain but are not connected to Club Med. They are owned by Caravelle, a French investment group. Club Med are owned by Fosun, a Chinese investment group. It's not surprising that they've taken it up, especially as P&V already have a presence in Tignes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thelem wrote:
Belambra are another large chain but are not connected to Club Med. They are owned by Caravelle, a French investment group. Club Med are owned by Fosun, a Chinese investment group. It's not surprising that they've taken it up, especially as P&V already have a presence in Tignes.

All the Hotels I use (Golf Arc 1800; Diva Val Claret; Cachette Arc 1600) have been taken over by them and not for the better (though the ski lockers are improved).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As @Old Fartbag said, both resorts are actually ok for beginners. I first learned in Val d'Isere many years ago and since then, they have put a lot of effort into creating good beginner areas. The main limitation are the runs back to resort are tricky and so downloading by gondola would be a better option for beginners. As has been mentioned, both resorts have a good selection of ski schools.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@xRob,
Try thetigneschaletcompany.com
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sno trax wrote:
As @Old Fartbag said, both resorts are actually ok for beginners. I first learned in Val d'Isere many years ago and since then, they have put a lot of effort into creating good beginner areas. The main limitation are the runs back to resort are tricky and so downloading by gondola would be a better option for beginners. As has been mentioned, both resorts have a good selection of ski schools.

The runs down to Val D'Isere are certainly not beginner friendly....but downloading is now easy.

As you'll probably remember - Back in the day, the Cable Car up Bellevarde went much higher than it does now, so wasn't accessible for downloading - this meant running the gauntlet of Santons, or the often icy runs down to La Daille. IIRC You could download in the old 1940s Cable Car (now removed and a fancy Hotel in its place up the mountain), on the Solaise side. They've made big strides in the last 30 years.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:
xRob wrote:

Damn, so Tignes in general might be off the cards then. I was looking there originally due to altitude/likelihood of decent conditions, didn't even consider whether the resort as a whole would be ok for our beginners. I've only been skiing in Austria before (and that a pretty long time ago!) so have no experience of resorts in France.

La Plagne I was looking at before, looks like only some of it will be open that week though. I'll do some more research on 3 valleys.

I'm not so pessimistic about Tignes's (or Val D'Isere) suitability for beginners. Are there better resorts for novices - yes there are.....but the combination of reasonable beginner slopes, free beginner lifts, height, convenience, early snow quality, ski schools and great variety for better skiers, still makes it a good choice......especially if the beginner isn't terribly timid.

I agree. The free lifts around Le Lac give absolute beginners the opportunity to learn and not feel as though they need to use a lift pass. on established the runs up the Palafour lift are great cruisy blues with a couple of hairy sections (for novices) and all above 2000m.

The other great thing we loved was that there are so many non-skiing things to do - swimming in Le Lagon, Tignespace has trampolines, rock wall. Best thing is that the village is fairly flat (which some of the 3V (is Meribel isn't) meaning walking kids and beginners to lessons is easy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@xRob,
Sorry, my error, it looks like TCC are not operating in 21/22.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Massive thanks to all for the advice, lots to think about!
snow conditions
xRob wrote:
Massive thanks to all for the advice, lots to think about!

Well, you certainly have a wide range of opinions! Toofy Grin
snow report
I will be spending 4 weeks i Val d'isere in Jan/Feb. If I would like to meet "old" seasonaires where should I go? I am 50 and not seeking drinking company, rather (off-piste) skiing company and maybe an occasional aprés beer.
ski holidays
I believe the loop downstairs is worth a look the ski club have a do Monday’s or did with food and a lot turn up for that
snow report
@flennstrom, for a start, pop your details in the Snowbuddy

...and Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
@flennstrom, The Cave du Loop is in Tignes, so not that handy for Val, but if all else fails, I'll be there. But there is a good happy hour at the Rosee Blanche in La Daille in Val D where you will meet all kinds of folk, both French, English and Savoyarde!

There is a lively Ski Club GB community in Val, some meet to discuss lunch, some to plan off piste itineraries
latest report
Hi @flennstrom, I should very there at that time and happy to hook up for a run or two. Feel free to pm.
snow report
@flennstrom, Welcome to Snowheads.
I’ll be in Val d’Isere with my OH so give us a shout nearer the time.
Rosée Blanche is normally a good meeting point for gentle apres.
snow report
thanks all for you replies.
I have been using Snowheads for a while - reading and getting updates from you all, but finally registered and posted something Smile
Hopefully we all get to go skiing again this season!
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:

All the Hotels I use (Golf Arc 1800; Diva Val Claret; Cachette Arc 1600) have been taken over by them and not for the better (though the ski lockers are improved).

I found the same when I went back to the TerrNova in La Plagne (mainly in the restaurant - get in quick or find not a lot left...)
ski holidays
@albob,
Quote:

Old Fartbag wrote:

I found the same when I went back to the TerrNova in La Plagne (mainly in the restaurant - get in quick or find not a lot left...)

Agreed. The decline in the Cachette was significant, especially food quality. I think Belambra operate in a budget to mid range market which now has far less competition, eg massive reduction in competition from catered chalethotel and chalets. They'll get by doing just enough to satisfy punters whose expectations aren't too high.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:

Agreed. The decline in the Cachette was significant, especially food quality. I think Belambra operate in a budget to mid range market which now has far less competition, eg massive reduction in competition from catered chalethotel and chalets. They'll get by doing just enough to satisfy punters whose expectations aren't too high.

In Feb 2020, myself and my Daughter went to Cachette. She is a Vegan, which is never easy in France.

We put this info on the Crystal Booking (which is passed to the Hotel). We also contacted the Hotel a month in advance, as suggested in their website...and again a few days before travel.

Without making definitive promises, they said that she could be accommodated - especially as she wasn't looking for anything fancy, just something she could eat.

On Check In we highlighted it again - and the receptionist said that the head of the dining room would be informed, so something could be sorted - all very promising.

After a long day travelling, we went for the evening meal....and there was nothing she could eat - So we asked to speak to the person in charge. He was pleasant, but had heard nothing of a Vegan arriving that week. He said the best he could do, was make sure there was some plain rice and soup (into which the rice could be put) each evening - and that was it. They couldn't even have a butter or milk alternative for breakfast, or some bought pasta not made with egg and tomato sauce, for the evening meal.

We mentioned this to the Rep - but that didn't result in an improvement. I also mentioned it again to the Crystal Rep as we were leaving and put it on the feedback form.

What annoyed me even more than the lack of accommodating a Vegan Diet, was the pretence that it was possible. It was all for show...which I suspect is down to being put in a Belambra "Straight Jacket". If you are not going to be flexible - just say so.

I see this year, Cachette has (atm) been dropped by Crystal - Crystal have been going there for years.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 8-07-22 19:40; edited 4 times in total
snow report
@Old Fartbag, the decline has continued then. Pity, as a Christmas Eve gala dinner they put on, not that many years ago, was one of the most memorable meals I’ve ever had in the Alps.

Be interesting to pick up reports and ratings about Belambra hotels during next season.

They still have some great locations in their favour.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:

They still have some great locations in their favour.

I found it fine - and the food acceptable, rather than inspiring (though I brought my own coffee to breakfast). The location is great - as is the ski shop beside it (recommended by a fellow snowHead ) - who serviced our skis with the edge angles I asked for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading back to Tignes at the end of Jan. Hotel Diva. Not expecting great accommodation but I hope it's functional and the location seems good.
ski holidays
who would be the go to boot fitter in tignes now Jojo is no longer in the game or is he?
ski holidays
blacksheep wrote:
Heading back to Tignes at the end of Jan. Hotel Diva. Not expecting great accommodation but I hope it's functional and the location seems good.

The Diva is perfectly functional, though if you like good coffee in the morning, bring your own means of making it - when I was last there, they used a machine (not one that used a jar of coffee beans above it).

IIRC. The easiest way to the slopes, is up a lift (exit the boot locker's outside door and turn left), exit lift and then go across a little enclosed bridge, where you join a path that leads to the slopes and takes you to the lifts...though this way is better for heading to the Val D'Isere side.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 19-09-21 9:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
who would be the go to boot fitter in tignes now Jojo is no longer in the game or is he?

I had my boots fitted by JoJo a while ago - and can't tell you if he has retired...but as I wanted to get Boots for my Daughter, this is what I came up with, in case JoJo was no longer in the game:

1. Clarey Sports /Ski Fast/Sport 2000 (I think they are amalgamated now) on Rue de la Poste.....ask for Jean Charles or Guy Clarey. Nb This needs confirmed by somebody who knows for sure.
2. Mountain Story (ask for Sandrine)
snow report
@Old Fartbag, Jo Jo has had more retirements and comebacks than a 60s pop group. But then if you keep marrying younger women....

As to whether he'll be there this winter I have no idea. I'll ask my spy when they get back as he would normally be working as soon as the autumn lifts open.

You are right about Jean Charles, he was with Guy in the main Sport 2000 shop. JC speaks better English than Guy and, by Guys admission, is a better outfitter. But he is also approaching the French retirement age so who knows...
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Jo Jo has had more retirements and comebacks than a 60s pop group. But then if you keep marrying younger women....

As to whether he'll be there this winter I have no idea. I'll ask my spy when they get back as he would normally be working as soon as the autumn lifts open.

You are right about Jean Charles, he was with Guy in the main Sport 2000 shop. JC speaks better English than Guy and, by Guys admission, is a better outfitter. But he is also approaching the French retirement age so who knows...

Excellent - Thank You.

Can you get your spy to confirm whether Sandrine is still the Bootfitter at Mountain Story?
latest report
@Old Fartbag, Just for you wink
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Just for you wink

Well, thank you Sir.....though I suspect it could of interest to more than me - especially if the Older Bootfitters all retire.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

I know Sandrine. she know what's she's doing I'd be happy for a new pair of liners from her
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

I know Sandrine. she know what's she's doing I'd be happy for a new pair of liners from her

That all sounds good.
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

The Diva is perfectly functional, though if you like good coffee in the morning, bring your own means of making it - when I was last there, they used a machine (not one that used a jar of coffee beans above it).

IIRC. The easiest way to the slopes, is up a lift (exit the boot locker's outside door and turn left), exit lift and then go across a little enclosed bridge, where you join a path that leads to the slopes and takes you to the lifts...though this way is better for heading to the Val D'Isere side.

Great, thanks for the info and heads up.
snow conditions
I'm gona be back and forth to Tignes a few times this winter in between the driving out trips is there some where that allow longer term storage of skis and boots so I don't have to luggage skis and boots on the plane for long weekends?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy