Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Ski resorts 2020/21 anti covid measures

Poster: A snowHead
Protocols for the winter have been published and widely publicised. All fairly simple, sensible stuff. Gondola and cable car capacity not specifically mentioned but there is a blanket statement about reducing capacity.

https://www.france-montagnes.com/covid-19-quel-protocole-cet-hiver-dans-les-stations-de-ski

La pratique des sports de glisse est une pratique de plein air, où l’équipement (gants, ski, bâtons...) favorise les gestes barrières. Dans certains lieux publics, la capacité d’accueil peut être réduite. Le masque est obligatoire à partir de 11 ans. Vous trouverez ci-dessous les mesures de protection mises en place lors de votre parcours en station.

Pour accéder à la station, dans les transports publics
Port du masque obligatoire sur les quais et dans les bus.

Remontées mécaniques
Port du masque obligatoire dans les files d’attente et sur les remontées mécaniques.
Désinfection quotidienne des zones de contact.

Chez le loueur de matériel
Port du masque obligatoire.
Désinfection du matériel loué.
Gel hydro-alcoolique à disposition.

Dans votre hébergement et les Offices de Tourisme
Port du masque obligatoire dans les parties communes et closes.
Désinfection des surfaces de contact et fréquence de nettoyage augmentée.

Dans les bars / restaurants
Service assis uniquement.
Espacement des tables d’au moins 1 mètre ou présence d’une paroi fixe ou amovible assurant une séparation physique.
Port du masque obligatoire pour les clients lors des déplacements dans l’établissement.
Désinfection des surfaces de contactet fréquence de nettoyage augmentée.

À l’École de Ski
Port du masque obligatoire lors des rassemblements au début et à la fin des cours, pour le moniteur et pourles élèves de 11 ans et plus.

Dans les bâtiments, pour les espaces publics :
• Port du masque obligatoirepour les personnes de 11 ans et plus.
• Gel hydro-alcoolique à disposition.
• Désinfection des surfaces.
Désinfection du matériel prêté (dossards, DVA,...)
Google Translate wrote:
The practice of sliding sports is an outdoor practice, where the equipment (gloves, ski, poles ...) promotes barrier gestures. In some public places, the reception capacity may be reduced. The mask is compulsory from 11 years old. You will find below the protective measures put in place during your journey in the resort.

To access the station, by public transport
Wearing a mask is compulsory on the platforms and in the buses.

Lifts
Wearing a mask is compulsory in the queues and on the ski lifts.
Daily disinfection of contact areas.

At the equipment rental company
Wearing a mask is compulsory.
Disinfection of rented equipment.
Hydro-alcoholic gel available.

In your accommodation and at the Tourist Offices
Wearing a mask is compulsory in common and enclosed areas.
Disinfection of contact surfaces and increased cleaning frequency.

In bars / restaurants
Seated service only.
Table spacing of at least 1 meter or the presence of a fixed or removable wall ensuring physical separation.
Wearing a mask is compulsory for customers when traveling in the establishment.
Disinfection of contact surfaces and increased cleaning frequency.

At the Ski School
Wearing a mask compulsory during gatherings at the start and end of lessons, for the instructor and for students aged 11 and over.

In buildings, for public spaces:
• Wearing a mask is compulsory for people aged 11 and over.
• Hydro-alcoholic gel available.
• Surface disinfection.
Disinfection of loaned equipment (bibs, DVA, ...).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We'll see what kind of season there really is.

Ski clubs have been advised by the authorities that there may be regional / departmental level lockdowns - so for example you would not be able to travel to the Savoie from the Isere.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, seems to be the watchwords for 2020/21.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Claude B,

Quote:

Remontées mécaniques
Port du masque obligatoire dans les files d’attente et sur les remontées mécaniques.

Crikey. How many masks are we supposed to have? Or are we just expected to carry one and use it like a dirty rag? First thoughts are that it's not looking pleasant or viable. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@achilles, don't you usually carry a number of masks with you? I have two fabric masks which are washed daily, but I usually carry a fresh paper disposable each day as a back-up. Masks have become a normal part of life.

These measures seem much in line with what has been proposed here. Although there is talk of bars/restaurants having fixed hours, so closing for deep cleaning shortly after the end of the ski day before reopening for the evening.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fairly reasonable especially if this allows for a near normal ski season. Don’t most have a built in mask while skiing anyways? Pull up your neck scarf or double duty the balaclava if necessary
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@queenie pretty please, I carry only one disposable one, which seems to last a couple of weeks ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
.......Ski clubs have been advised by the authorities that there may be regional / departmental level lockdowns - so for example you would not be able to travel to the Savoie from the Isere.......

And no-one from the Isere and Savoie to the Hautes Alpes would be the icing on the gateau Cool

@under a new name, think I still use the one the Marie have me back in June Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have one fabric one and a buff (actually, a whole drawer of buffs!). They get washed regularly, though I do not need to use them every day. It is rare to see one being worn where it is not mandated – I wouldn't say they were normal, more a reluctant use item.

The disposable ones contribute to single use plastic waste (maybe not paper ones, I haven't seen those), and are now littering the countryside rolling eyes Not to mention expensive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Restricting lift capacity would, in my opinion, be the most problematic. I’m not into the apres scene as much anymore so the restaurant/bar protocols won’t bother me that much.

Overall I see this as a (relatively) positive development.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
garfmiller wrote:
Restricting lift capacity would, in my opinion, be the most problematic. I’m not into the apres scene as much anymore so the restaurant/bar protocols won’t bother me that much.

maybe season ticket holders will need to register the days they want to ski...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:

And no-one from the Isere and Savoie to the Hautes Alpes would be the icing on the gateau Cool

:

The cerise on the cake even. Do you get many Savoyards? if so you have my commiserations.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, I use public transport every day, plus we have to wear masks at work when away from our desks. Masks are totally normal for me now. The paper ones can go in the incinerator waste if you tear the metal strip out. I agree it's very nasty seeing them simply dropped on the ground, but that seems pretty rare here.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
garfmiller wrote:

maybe season ticket holders will need to register the days they want to ski...

That’s what some N. American resorts (Epic/Vail) are doing I believe. Not ideal for locals perhaps, but maybe good for organized holiday planners...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@achilles, don't you usually carry a number of masks with you? I have two fabric masks which are washed daily, but I usually carry a fresh paper disposable each day as a back-up. Masks have become a normal part of life.

These measures seem much in line with what has been proposed here. Although there is talk of bars/restaurants having fixed hours, so closing for deep cleaning shortly after the end of the ski day before reopening for the evening.

I don’t carry several masks on my person. I have several disposable masks in a cardboard box in the car. Used ones go into a bin also kept in the car. The bin is emptied into a household bin kept for landfill rubbish. Fortunately I do not go into environments requiring regular mask use.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:

Do you get many Savoyards? if so you have my commiserations.

What's wrong with them? Is it the fact that most of them are actually Swiss or expats?.....very few genuine savoie families left here as far as I can tell, apart from the farmers, who don't tend to ski much in La Grave.
I imagine 95% of the haute savoie raclette munching community have never needed to head south for skiing anyway.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 17-09-20 10:22; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@achilles,

I have 3 masks I alternate that are washable and have replaceable filters. During the day when I don't need to be wearing it I fold it carefully so the inside does not touch the outside and then put it in a resealable ziplok bag. This allows the same mask to be worn quite successfully for a day without becoming a 'dirty rag'.

I grant you that elements of it are going to be miserable, but lets face it a busy lift queue was always a misery, and maybe this might finally stop the bunching up and general scrum like chaos as there will a) be less people and b) they will be more considerate out of a desire to preserve their own skin.

G
ski holidays
For convenience, I've added a Google translated version to the OP.
If any FrancophonicHeads notice any significant errors in meaning from the original please PM Admin.
snow report
@admin, my French is too rusty to comment on the above, but for ref, the site https://www.deepl.com/translator generally gives a superior translation to Google, and you can pick similes for individual words if you know it's giving you nonsense.
ski holidays
Quote:

It's pretty easy to social distance at my local resort (Lans en Vercors) as they only have drag lifts Cool . I'm not too confident about the coming season but will buy the season pass as usual to support the resort. Any amount of skiing (Covid and snow allowing) will be a bonus.
snow report
achilles wrote:
@Claude B,

Quote:

Remontées mécaniques

Crikey. How many masks are we supposed to have? Or are we just expected to carry one and use it like a dirty rag? First thoughts are that it's not looking pleasant or viable. Sad

It's becoming ridiculous. Mask on. Contaminate. Mask off. Contaminate more, while grappling with sweaty hands from ski gloves (Where's that sanitiser in the lift queue when I need it at minus 25C Puzzled ) Mask on. Contaminate and repeat...

As you say, dirty rags are us. Total token gesture... In March the official line was that masks were ineffective. But as soon as they want the economy up and running masks become compulsory. Hmmm... rolling eyes

And as others have said, one mask may not be enough.Surely we should be carrying over 30 masks each per day - a clean one for every lift we take Puzzled

And when it's minus 25C with wind chill, don't tell me they are going to insist on a surgical mask, while banning other types of face coverings... Others have said that the lifties in France wouldn't accept buffs in the summer. Shocked
snow report
If buffs etc. aren’t allowed it will be an utter shambles. Arrive in queue, gloves off, goggles off, helmet off, drop various items, find mask, put on, gather up stuff, glove full of snow, all whilst trying to shuffle forward in a queue. At the top rinse and repeat.

Where can I buy a buff with a surgical mask image printed on it?
ski holidays
Why wouldn't buffs be allowed. Its a face covering
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

A fellow Snowhead reported that they wouldn't accept buffs as suitable face coverings on lifts this summer. Surgical (and gas) masks only Sad

I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm.
snow conditions
Line above my post

Bergmeister wrote:
..... Others have said that the lifties in France wouldn't accept buffs in the summer. Shocked
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
Line above my post

Bergmeister wrote:
..... Others have said that the lifties in France wouldn't accept buffs in the summer. Shocked

I meant that someone who has been to France in the summer will be along to comment on the experience/confirm the situation regarding ski lifts and masks.
latest report
Buffs were acceptable on the Solaise and Olympic lifts in Val d’Isere over the summer.
ski holidays
polo wrote:
davidof wrote:

Do you get many Savoyards? if so you have my commiserations.

What's wrong with them?

as they say in France "if you think a Savoyard is insufferable when he's wrong about something, just wait till he's actually right"
latest report
I was in Les Arcs in the summer, and was stopped from using the Trans Arc Gondola whilst wearing a buff, I had to go and buy a 'proper' mask.

Although when on the other 'open' lifts I wasn't challenged when wearing the buff......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You’re allowed to wear a buff in France as long as you are also wearing some skimpy speedos Laughing
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

A fellow Snowhead reported that they wouldn't accept buffs as suitable face coverings on lifts this summer. Surgical (and gas) masks only Sad

I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

I’m pretty sure that when i was in Chx this Summer buffs weren’t acceptable.

The liftie also got very testy when i was in a gondola with my family and i asked a pair behind to take the next gondola.

He ranted something about being in charge
ski holidays
This might also be of interest. Head of Les 3 Vallees says at the start that you will not need to wear masks while skiing, only for points outlined above
https://www.les3vallees.com/fr/webconference2020-21/
snow report
Great that this thread is focusing on the important. Face covering will be irrelevant if current trajectory of infection is maintained. I have four trips booked for the upcoming season and think all of them are at risk; chacun sa merde, I guess..
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:
Great that this thread is focusing on the important. Face covering will be irrelevant if current trajectory of infection is maintained. I have four trips booked for the upcoming season and think all of them are at risk; chacun sa merde, I guess..

I think we all understand that all of our trips are at risk. And, like you, many (including me) will have a number of ski trips already booked.

But the thread is looking at/discussing what will happen in France if we are allowed to ski. Nothing wrong with that.
latest report
I was in Morzine in the summer. Buffs were accepted, but several layers of a fleece jumper wrapped round my (adult) son's head were not! He was not impressed and had to go back to the ticket office to buy a surgical one.
ski holidays
I have a couple trips planned to Les Arcs this winter but I'm not very optimistic that we'll be able to do them. It depends largely on what the French regulations are on quarentine on arrival. Wearing a face mask on the lifts was no problem when I was there in the summer and the rules were being enforced. On the Transarc people were using one car per family group but I cannot see that happening during the winter season. In fact I think we will avoid the telecabines completely this winter and probably the funicular. Fortunately this is easy to do in Les Arcs but will mean that we will not be able to ski the excellent pistes from the top of the Varet lift. I'll put up with that to be able to ski at all.

If the weather is very cold I may even ski with a surgical mask on all the time.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, Point taken but can't help thinking it's a case of deckchair arrangement and Titanic. Apologies, however, for being testy.

@johnE, If the surgical mask is the disposable variety, warm breath and cold air will destroy it fairly swiftly as it becomes saturated.

For those not based in continental Europe the expected announcement on a common quarantine policy for EU member states may well render the 'in the Buff or not' conversation academic.
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
@Bergmeister, Point taken but can't help thinking it's a case of deckchair arrangement and Titanic. Apologies, however, for being testy.

I agree. The whole situation is 5h1te and all governments are making it up as they go along, to pretend they are in control of an uncontrollable pandemic.

In our minds we have already written off 20/21 as a ski season and any skiing, anywhere,will be a bonus.

We hope to get to France (3Vs) but, as things stand, even a few trips to Scotland would be a bonus. Just as well Mrs B and I are currently working on a DIY (Citroen Relay) campervan conversion... Scotland here we come! Very Happy
ski holidays
Adding to the above: July 2020, funiculaire and Grande Motte cable car in Tignes: persons wearing Buffs were not accepted and were required to wear a traditional mask. Here's to hoping winter happens well !
latest report
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
Adding to the above: July 2020, funiculaire and Grande Motte cable car in Tignes: persons wearing Buffs were not accepted and were required to wear a traditional mask. Here's to hoping winter happens well !

Bingo!

Just as I thought.

The fiasco continues....
snow conditions
My understanding is that French legislation requires different types of masks to be worn in different scenarios.

For example you must only wear single use surgical masks on an aircraft and you are not allowed to even board if you are wearing a fabric mask.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy