Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning for a season on snow.

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@sbooker, Re moving accommodation - generally when you take a self-catering place in the Alps long term (is more than 2 or 3 weeks) it is for the season.
Re beer scene - Bourg St Maurice has a Brit run brewey. Chocksaway (see Snow Reports - Tignes & Espace Killy thread) could give you plenty of info regarding the beers they brew.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:
sbooker wrote:
The idea is my family of four would head to our destination in mid December and the kids and my wife would travel home at the end of our school holidays which is late January. I would spend February alone until my wife returned for the month of March. the kids would be with grandparents here in Oz that month. (Would I be limited to 90 days only in Europe??)

Could be seen as three separate trips? Could be split between different areas/countries. Could even split Europe/US.

Mid-December to late Jan the days will be shorter and naturally the weather wintry. So my preference would be somewhere below the tree line that is nice and cosy. And you will have the full family so maybe you'll want to have nicer/spacious accommodation.

February you will be alone and perhaps something like UCPA with shared accommodation/skiing would work well. And/or you can tailor the skiing/location to your personal satisfaction. Bear in mind second half of Feb is peak season in France.

And in March when your wife returns again you might want to tailor to her skiing preference and get accommodation/location that works as a couple.

Good idea but it would require three different passes. Unless of course we opted for one of the ‘super Pass’ products. In Europe that would involve one region like Tirol or Salzburg or Aosta. In North America it would be more diverse - could be split between Canada and the US. I guess it would not be the end of the world because the kids would need only one pass and my wife two.
Is there somewhere that offers a bit of everything? We could do what you suggested but just change accommodation for each segment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Bear in mind second half of Feb is peak season in France.

the four weeks ending on 7 March will be very busy in France.

Noted. I assume Austria and Italy would be similar but not quite as busy?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
LOTA wrote:
@sbooker, Please consider having a lesson or two (and especially for the kids); I think you will enjoy your trip so much more if you do.

We’ve intended to quite a few times but have never got around to it. I like the sound of those week long courses like Snoworks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@layne I just checked out the UCPA thing. Sounds great.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sbooker wrote:
Layne wrote:
sbooker wrote:
The idea is my family of four would head to our destination in mid December and the kids and my wife would travel home at the end of our school holidays which is late January. I would spend February alone until my wife returned for the month of March. the kids would be with grandparents here in Oz that month. (Would I be limited to 90 days only in Europe??)

Could be seen as three separate trips? Could be split between different areas/countries. Could even split Europe/US.

Mid-December to late Jan the days will be shorter and naturally the weather wintry. So my preference would be somewhere below the tree line that is nice and cosy. And you will have the full family so maybe you'll want to have nicer/spacious accommodation.

February you will be alone and perhaps something like UCPA with shared accommodation/skiing would work well. And/or you can tailor the skiing/location to your personal satisfaction. Bear in mind second half of Feb is peak season in France.

And in March when your wife returns again you might want to tailor to her skiing preference and get accommodation/location that works as a couple.

Good idea but it would require three different passes. Unless of course we opted for one of the ‘super Pass’ products. In Europe that would involve one region like Tirol or Salzburg or Aosta. In North America it would be more diverse - could be split between Canada and the US. I guess it would not be the end of the world because the kids would need only one pass and my wife two.
Is there somewhere that offers a bit of everything? We could do what you suggested but just change accommodation for each segment.

As you say you are going to need a different number of passes for each segment and different accommodation so it kinda makes no odds. And you are not hampered to a large extent budget wise. I think it would work better to tailor each segment to the party.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sbooker wrote:
@layne I just checked out the UCPA thing. Sounds great.

I've never done it but if ever needed to ski solo I would - gets lots of positive feedback on here. If you search you will find some comments on different centres.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sbooker wrote:
LOTA wrote:
@sbooker, Please consider having a lesson or two (and especially for the kids); I think you will enjoy your trip so much more if you do.

We’ve intended to quite a few times but have never got around to it. I like the sound of those week long courses like Snoworks.


Just to chime in, apologies if it's unwanted advice, but if you are doing a season, it would probably be worth doing at least a basic avi course, and maybe some kind of touring intro. Would open up loads of fun opportunities, especially if you are without kids.

Quite a few 1 or 2 day options in NZ if you visit, which are good fun, and well worth the money to get some more skills and confidence.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hang11 wrote:
sbooker wrote:
LOTA wrote:
@sbooker, Please consider having a lesson or two (and especially for the kids); I think you will enjoy your trip so much more if you do.

We’ve intended to quite a few times but have never got around to it. I like the sound of those week long courses like Snoworks.


Just to chime in, apologies if it's unwanted advice, but if you are doing a season, it would probably be worth doing at least a basic avi course, and maybe some kind of touring intro. Would open up loads of fun opportunities, especially if you are without kids.

Quite a few 1 or 2 day options in NZ if you visit, which are good fun, and well worth the money to get some more skills and confidence.

Sounds good. I hope we can get to NZ by next winter.
Oh and the kids love skiing (in bounds controlled) off trail so I would include them in the tuition.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, I go out of bounds a lot with my teenage daughter. Ever hopeful she will dig me out should the worst happen Happy. Hardest part is getting her to turn her phone off so as not to mess with the transceiver.

Worth getting enough knowledge to stay safe - opens up a lot of options if you have time to explore.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hang11 wrote:
@sbooker, I go out of bounds a lot with my teenage daughter. Ever hopeful she will dig me out should the worst happen Happy. Hardest part is getting her to turn her phone off so as not to mess with the transceiver.

Worth getting enough knowledge to stay safe - opens up a lot of options if you have time to explore.


He has a full season of time! Improving his off piste skills including skiing, equipment, safety, route selection etc should be high on his priority list IMHO.
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy