Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning for a season on snow.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after some collective advice/thoughts.
Covid and a very grave medical diagnosis for a close friend has been a big wake up call to me. I've always planned for a season on snow but I'm now intent on doing that as soon as practically possible as it's apparent that we just don't know what is around the corner. I want to do this while I can. (I'm from Australia so this northern hemisphere season will not happen but I'd like to think 21/22 is likely).
The idea is my family of four would head to our destination in mid December and the kids and my wife would travel home at the end of our school holidays which is late January. I would spend February alone until my wife returned for the month of March. the kids would be with grandparents here in Oz that month. (Would I be limited to 90 days only in Europe??)
We can choose anywhere at all really but I have a few things to consider.
1. My wife has an aunt in Salt Lake City who has self contained accommodation for us if we choose that option. If we had Ikon passes we could have holidays within our holiday to Jackson, Big Sky, Tahoe, Aspen etc. The big disadvantage here is we would certainly need a car for the duration and that is a big cost. About $10000aud if my research is correct. The big plus is Alta/Snowbird is our favourite ski hill anywhere on the planet.
2. If we chose somewhere in Europe I think we could do it without a car. A multi resort pass like Tirol Snow Card would allow us to spend some time in a few different regions. For example the month of January in the Zillertal and February around Landeck. Or of course we could just opt for a season pass at a big area like Tignes, Chamonix, Arlberg and have a break for a couple of weeks when the European school holidays are busiest. We could head off to Paris, Rome etc for a short time before returning to the snow. Aosta would be consideration but I think we would need a car there too.
3. Myself and the kids love skiing powder. I am not sure I am confident enough to ski unpatrolled off piste in Europe without a guide. For this reason the North American areas appeal.
4. Japan is an option but while my wife can ski powder her preference is for long groomers with great views. Japan isn't exactly that.
5. Canada offers the best exchange rate out of everywhere. Cost isn't a huge factor but I'm tight by nature so it is a consideration. The Resorts of the Canadian Rockies pass sounds good but there is the car thing.
6. My daughter is studying French at school and is very much into it. France would be great from that perspective.
7. I wouldn't be working.

I understand it's a while away but this will take some planning. I'm mindful we may be able to travel to some countries by then but not to others. Any thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Accomodation is by far your biggest hassle, and likely one of the biggest expenses. Assuming you are getting mates rates at your aunt's place it probably easily offsets needing a car. That said you really don't have to spend anything like $10000aud, check out salt lake city autrotrader to see what is available. Also you can probably get a decent percentage of your money back by reselling it before you leave.

3. In Europe you would need at minimum a partner (more than 1 is better), avy equipment, and the knowledge to make sensible decisions. Guides will get expensive quick, especially if you can't find others to share costs. Taking kids off-piste is something you would have to consider, can it be done safely? N America is great for avy controlled in bounds meaning you can ski off-piste in relative safety. Of course if you wanted to get into the backcountry it's still possible (an avalanche course with field day or hiring a guide for a day touring are good options).

5. Yes you would need a car. Can pick up a second hand one pretty cheap, many seasonnaires manage to sell their car for pretty much what they paid for it. Insurance is probably a bigger cost, BC insurance prices for foreigners went way up, though I think there are some work arounds. Rcr pass: nakiska is a small hill you probably are not going to want to spend much time at, Kimberley is good for families pretty tame terrain, kicking horse is all steeps and chutes (exactly the opposite of what your wife is looking for), fernie is decent and has a bit of everything. I guess it could work if you do the month on your own at kicking horse, then a mix of fernie and Kimberley with the family. If it was me I'd take it as I love kicking horse, but in your position I think salt lake city and iKON pass probably offers a little more (especially if you are willing to do a road trip - Jackson hole, Yellowstone, big sky would be pretty awesome trip).

Based on 3. alone I would say n America is a better choice for you. I would work out what your budget is and take it from there. If cost really is not an issue the world is your oyster just buy your iKON pass and go from hotel to hotel skiing everywhere. I wouldn't get hung up about cars, buy a cheap second hand car and then sell it at the end of your trip. Car also gives you a lot of convenience, which is always good to have when you are with kids.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want Canada without a car you have Whistler (crazy expensive accomodation) or Banff which has shuttle buses to the resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Yes I could have my wife's aunt purchase the car on our behalf and then insure it etc.
Looks like a decent vehicle like a Subaru Outback will cost about $10000USD but I'm sure I could sell it for say $7000 when we go home.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2 accommodation a problem for multi-resort pass. Get a season pass that offers day trips to other resorts eg the Verbier pass includes days in Chamonix, Courmayeur, PdS etc. If you’re alone you could blah a lift with other seasonaires. If you are 4 you would need a car to make the most of this

3 in Europe choose a resort with « itineraries » for safe off piste

6 opens up French speaking Switzerland albeit won’t be the cheapest
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really depends on how you'll be skiing off piste. I've done a couple of winters in N America that while I made plenty of riding buddies I wasn't dependent on them. So the option of skiing where you want solo is there and you can still hook up with people you meet on chairlifts for the odd lap.

And you'll be surprised at the number of people you see who are permabums or quasi/retired and hence out there everyday and not in a geriatric potterer bracket.

Europe the anglo culture has traditionally been based much more around seasonnaire workers and I've heard tales that it is harder for older bums living off reserves to fit in. Obviously big exceptions to that in places like Chamonix, St Anton , Verbier etc.

Personally if I had a ready friction free option in SLC I'd probably be on that assuming COVID gets sorted. The size and scale of your accomodation needs need to flex and you might want to road trip/ do other stuff for variety which is all easy from SLC. Even Tahoe is only a day's drive. And the money you save on accomodation makes a motel budget easy. You know the deal as you've done that sort of thing before. I definitely think SLC is kinda shitty as a city but you can't see it from the canyons.

The other side of course is that it isn't really "doing a season" in a resort. If the idea of really getting to know every pitch, aspect, buried log and microline appeals then going to an interior BC resort appeals. Just be wary of cabin fever that you can get in small towns and ensure you like hockey as its mainly what's on TV/ in bars etc. Of course all those places in a usual year are chockful of Aussies so again....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could go to Nz, buy a couple of 3 peaks and chill passes, chase the storms, book into some multi day tours, and blow the rest of the money on heli skiing, 900 bux a day each at the moment (I’m so broke now). Maybe not as exciting, definitely not as cultured, but ticks the powder box and easy to do from oz.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Looks like a decent vehicle like a Subaru Outback will cost about $10000USD but I'm sure I could sell it for say $7000 when we go home.

You certainly don't have to spend that much. 2007 Jeep Compass Sport is on for $1252.

Quote:

I'm yet to see European freeride zone/itinerary that is at all comparable to the variability of in bounds off piste terrain in n American resorts. For exmples of some of the n American resorts the op has mentioned
Ozone at kicking horse https://images.app.goo.gl/eKHz6CvniL99xvJP8
Cirque at Snowbird https://images.app.goo.gl/A4uBnkmV8baF4dRc8
They are just sections of what is available in those resorts. I would be interested to see some photos of itineraries/freeride zones in Europe but it's hard to find any online (searching itinerary or freeride brings up lots of other stuff).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbooker, You haven't given the most important piece of data re. season advice. What is your budget?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sbooker,

So sorry to hear about your friend. That's awful news. I lost a mate a couple of years ago, age 51 to a sudden stroke. Gone in an instant and that really shook me up.

It's sad that you have had such news. But it's good that it's nudged you into a season on the snow.

IMHO too many people (ie the majority) spend too much time working and wondering if they can manage without work (both time-wise and financially). Warren Miller had the right idea when he said that you won't lie on your death bed wishing you'd spent more time in the office.

Good luck with your season. I'm sure you won't regret it.

The best decision we ever made was to retire early. You only have one life....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, so many great options!

You could consider The Three Valleys in France, so you daughter can brush-up on her French. "Les Trois Vallees" lays claim to "the largest ski area in the world". And even if you spent the whole season there, there would be bits you would miss. And you could stay in different parts of this wonderful ski resort.

Val Thorens is one of the valleys, and this is the highest ski resort in Europe, and as such, you are pretty much guaranteed snow, if you are arriving in mid-December. Indeed, I have stayed in Val Thorens every season for the past 6 years, for the first two weeks in January — and my friends from Aus fly all the way over, and we have a smashing time. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11 wrote:
Could go to Nz, buy a couple of 3 peaks and chill passes, chase the storms, book into some multi day tours, and blow the rest of the money on heli skiing, 900 bux a day each at the moment (I’m so broke now). Maybe not as exciting, definitely not as cultured, but ticks the powder box and easy to do from oz.

I will be taking a short trip to the South Island next Southern Hemisphere winter. The school holidays at Christmas allow the kids to come with us so Northern Hemisphere winter it will be.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BobinCH wrote:
2 accommodation a problem for multi-resort pass. Get a season pass that offers day trips to other resorts eg the Verbier pass includes days in Chamonix, Courmayeur, PdS etc. If you’re alone you could blah a lift with other seasonaires. If you are 4 you would need a car to make the most of this

6 opens up French speaking Switzerland albeit won’t be the cheapest

Thanks. Sounds exotic. A season in Verbier Switzerland....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Really depends on how you'll be skiing off piste. I've done a couple of winters in N America that while I made plenty of riding buddies I wasn't dependent on them. So the option of skiing where you want solo is there and you can still hook up with people you meet on chairlifts for the odd lap.

And you'll be surprised at the number of people you see who are permabums or quasi/retired and hence out there everyday and not in a geriatric potterer bracket.

Europe the anglo culture has traditionally been based much more around seasonnaire workers and I've heard tales that it is harder for older bums living off reserves to fit in. Obviously big exceptions to that in places like Chamonix, St Anton , Verbier etc.

Personally if I had a ready friction free option in SLC I'd probably be on that assuming COVID gets sorted. The size and scale of your accomodation needs need to flex and you might want to road trip/ do other stuff for variety which is all easy from SLC. Even Tahoe is only a day's drive. And the money you save on accomodation makes a motel budget easy. You know the deal as you've done that sort of thing before. I definitely think SLC is kinda shitty as a city but you can't see it from the canyons.

The other side of course is that it isn't really "doing a season" in a resort. If the idea of really getting to know every pitch, aspect, buried log and microline appeals then going to an interior BC resort appeals. Just be wary of cabin fever that you can get in small towns and ensure you like hockey as its mainly what's on TV/ in bars etc. Of course all those places in a usual year are chockful of Aussies so again....

Good tips. To be clear we are not great skiers. None of us have ever had a lesson. We can confidently get down most inbounds lines on most mountains aside from the really extreme stuff but I’m sure onlookers would not be impressed with our style. Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

You certainly don't have to spend that much. 2007 Jeep Compass Sport is on for $1252.

Quote:

I'm yet to see European freeride zone/itinerary that is at all comparable to the variability of in bounds off piste terrain in n American resorts. For exmples of some of the n American resorts the op has mentioned
They are just sections of what is available in those resorts. I would be interested to see some photos of itineraries/freeride zones in Europe but it's hard to find any online (searching itinerary or freeride brings up lots of other stuff).

Lol. $1252. Can you say head gasket? Or transmission? Or water pump?
Shots of The Cirque almost make me teary.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
@sbooker, You haven't given the most important piece of data re. season advice. What is your budget?

No real budget. It will cost what it costs but as previously mentioned I’m careful with my money by nature so I generally opt for the budget end of the scale - not the extravagant.
If I had to guess I would think about $40000Aud including flights etc. But I’ve not worked it out. It may be more as inevitably I’ll be tempted to buy skis (plural) etc Smile
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
sbooker,

So sorry to hear about your friend. That's awful news. I lost a mate a couple of years ago, age 51 to a sudden stroke. Gone in an instant and that really shook me up.

It's sad that you have had such news. But it's good that it's nudged you into a season on the snow.

IMHO too many people (ie the majority) spend too much time working and wondering if they can manage without work (both time-wise and financially). Warren Miller had the right idea when he said that you won't lie on your death bed wishing you'd spent more time in the office.

Good luck with your season. I'm sure you won't regret it.

The best decision we ever made was to retire early. You only have one life....

Thanks. I’m going to use the Warren Miller line when I tell my boss I’m taking 4 or 5 months off.
He’ll not care from a financial perspective really because I’m on a ‘commission only’ arrangement with no long service leave or holiday pay but it’ll be a headache for him to find someone to fill my role with the same conditions.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 12-09-20 23:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Poogle wrote:
@sbooker, so many great options!

You could consider The Three Valleys in France, so you daughter can brush-up on her French. "Les Trois Vallees" lays claim to "the largest ski area in the world". And even if you spent the whole season there, there would be bits you would miss. And you could stay in different parts of this wonderful ski resort.

Val Thorens is one of the valleys, and this is the highest ski resort in Europe, and as such, you are pretty much guaranteed snow, if you are arriving in mid-December. Indeed, I have stayed in Val Thorens every season for the past 6 years, for the first two weeks in January — and my friends from Aus fly all the way over, and we have a smashing time. Very Happy

As you say there are so many great options. I’ve only had really limited experience skiing in France but for some reason I’ve always thought Tignes/Val would be my preferred option. The Three Valleys would be better than a poke in the eye!
latest report
Quote:

Get a mechanic to check it out if you are concerned. Most seasonnaires in BC are paying less than that for their second hand rust buckets. Most of the time it lasts the season with minor issues, and they even get back almost of their costs reselling it. Of course you don't have to go that cheap, but you also don't have to spend the $10,000 you are suggesting. But as you say budget is not a concern so don't worry about it.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Get a mechanic to check it out if you are concerned. Most seasonnaires in BC are paying less than that for their second hand rust buckets. Most of the time it lasts the season with minor issues, and they even get back almost of their costs reselling it. Of course you don't have to go that cheap, but you also don't have to spend the $10,000 you are suggesting. But as you say budget is not a concern so don't worry about it.

I’ll need something safe and reliable and with room for bags and four sets of skis. If we were to base in SLC there is a chance we would want to drive up to Red/Revelstoke. That’s a fair hike.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:

I can give you sone examples from Verbier. Probably Mont Gelé is the best one. 3000m peak accessed by cable car. No pistes but you can ski down in all directions via various itineraries or just pick your line and go
Mont Gelé

The 2 famous Tortin options from:
Gentianes - 1000m descent

Chassoure - 750m descent

These are all avalanche controlled. There are also other official itineraries such as Vallon d’Arbi, Col des Mines, Bruson, Etygeon etc that you can google.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

I can give you sone examples from Verbier. Probably Mont Gelé is the best one. 3000m peak accessed by cable car. No pistes but you can ski down in all directions via various itineraries or just pick your line and go
Mont Gelé

The 2 famous Tortin options from:
Gentianes - 1000m descent

Chassoure - 750m descent

These are all avalanche controlled. There are also other official itineraries such as Vallon d’Arbi, Col des Mines, Bruson, Etygeon etc that you can google.

Great looking country. So no avi gear required when ski that stuff? And fully controlled?
Wonderful for gumbies like me if that's the case.
snow conditions
@sbooker, loads of good advice there. In terms of France you’ve already had a suggestion of Val Thorens in the Trois Vallées. If you’re tempted, what I would suggest is looking further down the valley for your base, and check out St Martin and the surrounding villages. The plus side...much prettier, real villages, less arctic and wild when the weather is bad. Access to the same great skiing, but also to fab easy gradient off piste above the village. Here’s a pic of Mr P in the middle of it in early 2019.

On the downside, though there are buses, I think you’d be better off with a car. It also means you can look for cheaper accommodation in the old hamlets outside the main resort and can do a big grocery shop more easily and cheaply down in Moutiers (a 20 min drive). A whole season rental for 4 in the middle of any ski resort will be stupidly expensive, hence looking a little outside is probably a better bet- for the same money as a rabbit hutch in the middle of VT you would be more likely to get a proper sized apartment or small house.
FWIW St M is just a lovely place to be, friendly locals and older demographic than some of the “party” towns. When I’ve been there on my own, it doesn’t take much to find someone to ski with if that’s what you want.
snow report
Perty wrote:
@sbooker, loads of good advice there. In terms of France you’ve already had a suggestion of Val Thorens in the Trois Vallées. If you’re tempted, what I would suggest is looking further down the valley for your base, and check out St Martin and the surrounding villages. The plus side...much prettier, real villages, less arctic and wild when the weather is bad. Access to the same great skiing, but also to fab easy gradient off piste above the village. Here’s a pic of Mr P in the middle of it in early 2019.

On the downside, though there are buses, I think you’d be better off with a car. It also means you can look for cheaper accommodation in the old hamlets outside the main resort and can do a big grocery shop more easily and cheaply down in Moutiers (a 20 min drive). A whole season rental for 4 in the middle of any ski resort will be stupidly expensive, hence looking a little outside is probably a better bet- for the same money as a rabbit hutch in the middle of VT you would be more likely to get a proper sized apartment or small house.
FWIW St M is just a lovely place to be, friendly locals and older demographic than some of the “party” towns. When I’ve been there on my own, it doesn’t take much to find someone to ski with if that’s what you want.

Looks lovely @Perty.
ski holidays
@sbooker, Consider Bourg-Saint-Maurice in the Isere valley, France. It has direct access to Paradiski, and easy access by local transport to Tignes-Val D'Isere, Sainte-Foy, La Rosiere (and hence La Thuile in Italy), the 3 Valleys and Valmorel. And if you fancied exploring further afield, it is on the rail system.
latest report
Kenzie wrote:
@sbooker, Consider Bourg-Saint-Maurice in the Isere valley, France. It has direct access to Paradiski, and easy access by local transport to Tignes-Val D'Isere, Sainte-Foy, La Rosiere (and hence La Thuile in Italy), the 3 Valleys and Valmorel. And if you fancied exploring further afield, it is on the rail system.

I assume there is no pass for this entire region given all the hills are independently owned and competing with one another?
snow conditions
@sbooker, - yes, they are all separate, but the ski areas of Espace Killy (Val d’isere and Tignes), Paradiski (Les Arcs, La plagne) or 3V, give you access to a vast amount of skiing, on hugely varied terrain, and the ability to ski between the resorts of each individual area. They are all very different in terms of elevation, position relative to the tree line, old villages with charm or purpose built. There isn’t that slightly sterile feel you get in the North American corporate owned resorts.

So for a typical day for us in the 3V is to discuss the snow conditions, the weather, where the fresh snow might be least skied, how busy it might be, where we haven’t been for a while, where we might want to have lunch, and then ski there via whatever else takes our fancy. As speedy skiers, we can get from the bottom in St Martin to the far side of the 3V Courchevel 1650 in not much more than an hour, all on skis. When I used to be a ski host, at a more modest pace, it would take about 1 hr 30. But that’s going direct. There are numerous options along the way.
A lift pass for the season isn’t cheap. The going rate for an adult is around €1300, though there are some discounts for family passes. Basically if the whole family ski more than 4 weeks then that’s the one to go for. There is a Liberty pass which is a pay as you go pass that can be more cost effective up to about 29 days
The season used to offer a couple of days in other local resorts, but now they tend to be for resorts further afield in the USA or Japan. (I know fellow SH Bergmeister maximises his 3V pass value by heading to the US in the french school hols). https://www.les3vallees.com/en/ski-pass/season-pass/
Last winter I did go and check out Valmorel for the day, which was nice..a day pass was 52€. It took about 45 mins to drive there from St M. Val d’isere is about 1hr 30. (We can see the back of the top of Valmorel from our village, but you have to drive down the mountain and up the other side)..
There’s no real FOMO in the big french ski areas because of the variety of skiing on offer on your doorstep.
latest report
I would pay the extra money and stay in a decent sized resort with facilities. Nothing like waking up to a foot of fresh snow and blue skies #lifedoesntgetbetter
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
I would pay the extra money and stay in a decent sized resort with facilities. Nothing like waking up to a foot of fresh snow and blue skies #lifedoesntgetbetter

And no need for a vehicle. If the resort is on a train line that allowed for easy day trips to interesting towns and cities that would be a bonus too. The Arlberg would be great for this but I’ve checked out accommodation prices and it’s eye watering.
Les Arcs would be good because it appears lodging is more reasonable. Zell Am See looks ok too. Chamonix is surprisingly reasonable.
The Canadian towns have very cheap lodging but then there is the cabin fever thing if it’s a relatively small hill like Fernie or Revelstoke.
Somewhere that typically gets snow is a must.
latest report
@sbooker, what size are you looking for and what prices are you finding? There are a few Chamonix seasonnaires on here who can probably advise you on what to expect and no doubt some from the Arlberg, Paradiski, EK and 3V’s etc.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
@sbooker, what size are you looking for and what prices are you finding? There are a few Chamonix seasonnaires on here who can probably advise you on what to expect and no doubt some from the Arlberg, Paradiski, EK and 3V’s etc.

We could do a larger rental for the time the kids are with us (mid December to end of January). It would need to sleep 4 comfortably. The kids are teens.
From end of January until end of March could be smaller - would only have to sleep 2.
I don’t know if it would be practical to change digs halfway through. It looks like $15000aud (approx 9500 euro) gets something comfortable.
This of course is the advantage if we went with the option of staying with my wife’s aunt in the US. The saved lodging costs could go toward regular side trips to Jackson, Aspen etc. Hotel accomodation in the US is dirt cheap in winter.
Then there is the cost of the vehicle.
Either way the $$$$ are a wash basically but the experience would be entirely different.
ski holidays
^^^
I just had a look at Verbier. Gulp. Very Happy
I’d feel guilty for the whole time I was there.
latest report
Sounds like the free accommodation in the US makes that the winner. Daily lift passes are crippling though so find a way to get round those if you can. I loved Jackson Hole - look forward to seeing you launch into Corbett’s couloir Very Happy
snow report
sbooker wrote:
^^^
I just had a look at Verbier. Gulp. Very Happy
I’d feel guilty for the whole time I was there.

Yep alas I think you’re looking at twice that for somewhere nice in Verbier.
snow report
Oh. There are a couple of other factors to consider.
Access to a gym would be extremely favourable. Maybe essential.
I’m a beer lover so somewhere with a brew scene would be great. For this reason Canada, the US is nirvana. Austria great too but in a more traditional sense. My experience is Italy and France can be lacking somewhat in good beer options. Obviously the beer thing is no deal breaker.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Sounds like the free accommodation in the US makes that the winner. Daily lift passes are crippling though so find a way to get round those if you can. I loved Jackson Hole - look forward to seeing you launch into Corbett’s couloir Very Happy

Ikon makes it cheap.
I’ve looked over the edge into Corbets in the past.
Did you read the bit about my skiing ability? Very Happy
snow report
sbooker wrote:
The idea is my family of four would head to our destination in mid December and the kids and my wife would travel home at the end of our school holidays which is late January. I would spend February alone until my wife returned for the month of March. the kids would be with grandparents here in Oz that month. (Would I be limited to 90 days only in Europe??)

Could be seen as three separate trips? Could be split between different areas/countries. Could even split Europe/US.

Mid-December to late Jan the days will be shorter and naturally the weather wintry. So my preference would be somewhere below the tree line that is nice and cosy. And you will have the full family so maybe you'll want to have nicer/spacious accommodation.

February you will be alone and perhaps something like UCPA with shared accommodation/skiing would work well. And/or you can tailor the skiing/location to your personal satisfaction. Bear in mind second half of Feb is peak season in France.

And in March when your wife returns again you might want to tailor to her skiing preference and get accommodation/location that works as a couple.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bear in mind second half of Feb is peak season in France.

the four weeks ending on 7 March will be very busy in France.
snow report
@sbooker, Please consider having a lesson or two (and especially for the kids); I think you will enjoy your trip so much more if you do.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Ikon makes it cheap.
I’ve looked over the edge into Corbets in the past.
Did you read the bit about my skiing ability? Very Happy

You’re doing a season - it will transform your skiing. You’ll be pulling backflips in there by the end of it Toofy Grin

Ps buy some good skis!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy