Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Covid-19 Travel restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Starting from midnight tomorrow.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Claude B wrote:
Isère too Sad

So Les Deux Alpes will have a 21-06 hrs curfew?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes. I don't know what the other measures will mean for skiing. We're due to be open until 1st November. Tbh it's fairly quiet here anyway. Most of the skiers are youngsters with ski clubs who don't use bars, restaurants etc. A lot of places haven't bothered opening, not worth their while for 2 weeks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@brianatab, how does a curfew do anything? Or does the veerous only come out after 21h00? and does it understand summer time clock changes?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apologies for being lazy and not trying to work it out myself but would this apply to continuous autoroute travel. ie say you joined autoroute at 20-59 at Calais could you continue to Genoble, say and exit at 06=01 ? Obviously autoroutes are not closed as there would be a massive queue of trucks at the borders. My inclination is to think that once on the autoroute nobody is going to bother you and in practical terms you are self isolating anyway.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
TF1 : Première question, imaginons que nous sommes en voiture, de passage de nuit dans une zone sous couvre-feu. Est-ce qu'on a le droit ou pas?

Vous avez le droit si vous avez un motif de déplacement valable. Donc concrètement, pas si vous partez en vacances nous disent les différentes préfectures. Si une zone de couvre-feu se trouve sur votre trajet, vous devrez la contourner ou rouler de jour. Et on parle bien de zone et pas simplement d'un centre-ville : vérifiez bien avec la préfecture quels sont les axes routiers concernés : périphérique, autoroute...

Quote:
TF1: First question, let's imagine that we are in a car, driving through a curfew zone at night. Are we allowed or not?

You have the right if you have a valid reason for travelling. So concretely, not if you are going on holiday, the different prefectures tell us. If there is a curfew zone on your route, you will have to drive around it or drive during the day. And we're talking about a zone and not just a town centre: check with the prefecture to find out which roads are concerned: ring road, motorway, etc.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could make driving the campervan home from Spain trickier!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobinS, there’s an option on the exemption for transit travel of long distance
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nadenoodlee, Thanks, presumably as it's a French thing we will be supposed to download and fill in a form, as we did to go home from Chamonix in March.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
According to Le Dauphiné all bars in the Haute Savoie (74) to close from tomorrow. I guess the implication will be that others may follow. Restos to be locked in time for curfew.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, does that mean evening restaurant becomes a single service at 6 pm? Presumably they have to close long enough before 9 for all their staff to get home.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
j b wrote:
@chocksaway, does that mean evening restaurant becomes a single service at 6 pm? Presumably they have to close long enough before 9 for all their staff to get home.

From what I've read on the Tignes Seasonnaires Fbook page they think they'll be closing early enough to give customers & staff time to get home (and I guess that includes giving staff time to do post service cleaning & washing up).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenzie wrote:
j b wrote:

From what I've read on the Tignes Seasonnaires Fbook page they think they'll be closing early enough to give customers & staff time to get home (and I guess that includes giving staff time to do post service cleaning & washing up).

Restaurant staff are allowed to leave the restaurant after 9pm to travel home.

There is talk of the curfew going to 7pm in worst affected areas: Paris, Lyon... Chamonix or a curfew starting Friday evening through to Monday morning. Or possible locking down the whole Rhone-Alpes again. Possible ban on off piste and ski touring for the winter without a guide.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 23-10-20 19:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobinS, yes you can use an online version - search thelocal.fr for details and links
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
de mieux en mieux....looks like my French ski trip at Christmas just got KO'ed - how long are these measures in place?
snow conditions
I left my local at 8pm, building up to a last fling for a while by the youngsters Shocked Much pisstaking of the oldies (me) who are in bed by then anyway NehNeh
ski holidays
Snowsartre wrote:
de mieux en mieux....looks like my French ski trip at Christmas just got KO'ed - how long are these measures in place?

To the start of December currently.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
j b wrote:

Restaurant staff are allowed to leave the restaurant after 9pm to travel home.

There is talk of the curfew going to 7pm in worst affected areas: Paris, Lyon... Chamonix or a curfew starting Friday evening through to Monday morning. Or possible locking down the whole Rhone-Alpes again. Possible ban on off piste and ski touring for the winter without a guide.

Really? Where have you heard about the off piste bit? Why would they do that? To reduce the chances of accidents/rescues?
snow report
@under a new name, I seem to remember you, a couple of months ago, talking about people in your area behaving almost as things were normal. Do you think that Chamonix is now suffering as it is is as a result of earlier behaviour by its residents or is it something that has just spread from other areas?
latest report
Genuine question, are rates really rising massively in the Haute Savoie with a risk of even tighter restrictions? UK media is all about the cities.

(Personal issue, we were thinking of heading over but wouldn't anyway book until shortly before).
snow report
In France it's the cities too. But hospitals are under pressure. Here in the mountains in Isère it's ok but our nearest hospitals are in Grenoble which is bad. Assume Haute Savoie is similar although there aren't any big cities there?
snow report
@j b, Have a look at the website for Le Dauphiné Libéré, it has local news for the Alps.

@Claude B, Annecy is in Haute Savoie, fair number of people in the Arve valley too. Doesn't look like there is quite as much pressure on hospitals in Savoie and Haute Savoie as elsewhere, maybe there are just more beds for the size of the population to deal with normal winter accidents.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Really? Where have you heard about the off piste bit? Why would they do that? To reduce the chances of accidents/rescues?

Yes, intensive care is 70% full at present and expected to be 100% occupancy in 2 weeks in the Rhone-Alpes so looking at ways to reduce pressure from other areas. Dangerous sports have been discussed. They'll probably extend the curfew first though.
snow report
@davidof, I see, yes that would make sense
snow conditions
This map shows the contamination rate broken down by district.

https://geodes.santepubliquefrance.fr/#c=indicator&view=map9

For example Briançon has one of the highest rates in the country today with over 1000 cases per 100K. Les Deux Alpes is better with 250-500/1000K.

Chamonix is 500-1000/100K.

What does that mean in practice? Probably around 100 to 200 people with Covid in Briançon at present and maybe 50 to 100 people in Chamonix. Les Deux Alpes is harder to guess as the resort is currently open so how are those guests factored in to the figures? Based on permanent population there are probably less than a couple of dozen people infected in the resort currently.

But the issue isn't the 100 people in Chamonix with Covid but the 2 or 3 people who will be in intensive care today from that community. There are only around 5000 emergency beds available for the whole of France. So we are still in the politics of flattening the curve without killing the patient (the French economy).
ski holidays
Puzzled

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 24-10-20 0:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Crevasse dweller wrote:
RobinS wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I think the problem is that, that the good, law abiding citizens see that it is ridiculously easy to get away with not following the rules, and realise that less honest people just get away with it. It ends up making a mockery of law and order.
What would happen if football matches had no referee, and no free kicks, yellow cards, or red cards?

It’s not the absence of the ref, but the lack of a coherent governing body that doesn’t lay down contradictory laws without consultation neither the ref or players will adhere to because guidance has so readily been disregarded by members of that governing body.
If the government was sincere in its wish to stop people travelling to and from Europe it would ban private citizens from travelling and that would be that. But this government has yet to be sincere...about anything.
Anyway anyone going through French passport control will have their passports touched by French officials not wearing a mask and be asked to remove their masks so all the doodling as discussed above is voided and so will be required to self isolate.
One day I will write about skiing...oh yes the snow is down to 2200 in Monte Rosa but the word is that they are unlikely to open the resorts because all the hospital beds in the Aosta Valley are occupied by covid sufferers so you will have to be VERY sure of your skiing abilities rolling eyes
snow report
Our mairie have confirmed that ski lifts are not affected by restrictions on gatherings, from the arret from the prefecture

- Tous rassemblements, réunions ou activités de plus de 6 personnes, quelle qu'en soit la nature, sur la voie publique ou dans les espaces publics sont interdits, sauf pour les rassemblement à caractère professionnel, les services de transports aux voyageurs (ne concerne donc pas les remontées mécaniques), les visites guidées, les marchés...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nonobstant les lits d'hôpital... ou le manque....
snow conditions
France is now officially the sick man of Europe overtaking Spain to register the world's fifth highest number of cases after the United States, India, Brazil and Russia. Officials have blamed the Tour de France for spreading Covid 19 to previously lightly affected Rhone-Alpes region. Hence the ban on the Tour of Italy last week. Experts say it is more likely that Paris and the Rhone-Alpes are affected worst as they are the economic centers of France and that Covid has been spread by children and workers. 90% of French staff are back at work following the spring confinement and schools and universities returned at the start of September - Universities are overcrowded due to the lowering of the baccalauréat pass level this year.

With 70% of emergency beds occupied by Covid 19 sufferers (mainly in the 65+ age group but increasing numbers of 40 to 50 year olds) it is not a matter of if France confines but when and how? 52,000 new cases were declared yesterday with the authorities saying it was likely that the real figure is over 100,000 / day but the country is near the limit of testing.

Originally the plan had been to extend the couvre feu to 19h in the worst affected areas: Paris and the Rhone-Alpes, maybe with a weekend lockdown, but medical advisers are saying that is too little and too late and things are now critical.

So will it be a confinement by town? Department or Region or the whole of France? Scientific advisors want a lockdown for the whole of France for November then restrictions for the rest of Winter until the warmer weather arrives.

Economically impossible say the government who may opt for a full confinement except for schools and workers to go to their jobs. They have been inspired by Ireland. As yet nothing has been officially announced which economists are saying is "irresponsible" as it is creating a lot of uncertainty.

There is also a plan of "making people comfortable at home" if they get Covid - in other words, your on your own, pal. The plan would involve restricting access to emergency beds for the 55 plus age group. This was effectively the case in the spring where some old people seen as "terminal" were made comfortable where they were by their GP.
snow report
esaw1 wrote:
@under a new name, I seem to remember you, a couple of months ago, talking about people in your area behaving almost as things were normal. Do you think that Chamonix is now suffering as it is is as a result of earlier behaviour by its residents or is it something that has just spread from other areas?

No idea tbh. I don't hear anything about many infections, but I wouldn't necessarily. One family we know of is isolating...
snow conditions
French ski vacation in just over one month, fingers crossed Smile

As far as I can tell, no restrictions, covid test etc required when travelling from the EU (we are in Sweden)? So hopefully it’s just land, pick up the hire car and go. And remember some face masks.
snow report
What actually is the current situation, could I drive to tignes tomorrow from the UK and ski as normal with no quarantine?
snow report
@WASHOUT, Currently, yes. (but you would have to quarantine on return if you're UK domiciled).

But, with the speed of developments and rapid rise in covid case numbers then that could all change in the next couple of days.
snow report
Apparently Gendarmes in Tignes tomorrow to check everybody is in a proper Covid masks and distancng is being measured. f not, they're closed down.
52000 new cases in France today.
snow report
It won’t take much to find an example of ‘not distancing’ though so it sounds like that was the 5 minute warning for Tignes.
This is a tragedy for businesses there they don’t know what to expect from one day to the next
For anyone that wants to try and go skiing you might manage to get there only to be there a couple of days and they close the resort
What a nightmare for everyone working there etc
snow report
Are case numbers a reliable metric for comparison with earlier in the year simply due testing?? Feels like they aren't, to me.

Not quite sure what they're going to be looking for in Tignes (or anywhere else). Chamonix gone very strict on having to eat meals in restaurants.

I am back on the wagon.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Are case numbers a reliable metric for comparison with earlier in the year simply due testing?? Feels like they aren't, to me.
I don't think it's possible to make meaningful comparisons between the raw data for positive test results for the first wave back int eh Spring and what we are seeing now, in France or just about anywhere else. Other measures probably do make a meaningful comparison, hospitalisations for example. France sees highest number of COVID-19 patients coming into hospitals since April.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

I think they are _if_ you adjust appropriately (i.e. reported case numbers clearly aren't, but real case numbers can be deduced). France peaked, like the UK, at c. 1,000 deaths/day in March/April. That implies c. 100-200k cases/day at peak (based on c. 0.5-1% IFR).

Current estimates I've seen in the press are that there could be c. 100k cases/day again in France at present, I think this is based on 50k identified and an assumption that only half of them are found, which is similar ratio in the UK. However, the 50k/day on Sunday seems to have fallen sharply yesterday, so maybe it's more like 50-100k cases/day at present, so around half the previous peak level, but similar to where it was when ski resorts were closed down in March.
snow report
snowdave wrote:

However, the 50k/day on Sunday seems to have fallen sharply yesterday

that's because fewer people are collecting the data on Sundays
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy