Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying first board

Poster: A snowHead
@ayrton, good shout. Buy that Frontier, sell it for pretty much what you paid for it if you don't like it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

the problem is that you are new to the resort, don’t know the hire shop, don’t want to spend you first day shopping around, don’t even know what they are giving you, don’t even know what you want out of what is available, board not waxed or edged, big queues on the first day of the week ... the list goes on.

I've never been to tignes. I just googled tignes snowboard hire and this was one of the top results (https://www.tignes-spirit.com/services/tignes-board-hire). I can pick my exact board from a decent range and they will deliver it directly to my accomodation. Google reviews has them at 4.3/5 so we can assume they offer a reasonably good service.
Basically solves all the supposed issues you bring up.

Hmm, unfortunately that didn't seem great when some of my group (skiers) hired from them in 2017. Having stuff delivered made life tricky when people found their gear want good/suitable. Lots of time was lost hanging around the chalet waiting for replacement equipment. Maybe picking a hire shop based on internet reviews is like choosing a board that way wink

I'm sure these amazing hire shops where you get to try lots of good quality equipment without hassle must exist, but even for skis I've not found one yet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sugarmoma666 wrote:
... I'm sure these amazing hire shops where you get to try lots of good quality equipment without hassle must exist, but even for skis I've not found one yet.
Showcase or Summit Sports or pretty much anywhere else in Whistler (the places are I think all resort-owned) will rent you current-season freshly-prepped top-of-the-line gear on demand and of course you can swap it out anytime you like. I didn't rent from there this last season but the season before I rented some previously unused powder boards from them. Exactly where's best varies a bit over time but quality's never been an issue. To be absolutely clear, you can probably get less nice gear if you shop around for the lowest price.

I know less about Europe for rentals except Sölden, where if you go at the start or end of the season you can generally get free demos of top of the line gear from the various tents on the glacier.

Thinking about it, reviews of rental shops may well be more useful than reviews of snowboards.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg wrote:
@ayrton, good shout. Buy that Frontier, sell it for pretty much what you paid for it if you don't like it.

Thanks, I just bought it Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ayrton, good move. You won't regret it I'm sure, let us know how you got on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ayrton, Welcome to the club Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

the problem is that you are new to the resort, don’t know the hire shop, don’t want to spend you first day shopping around, don’t even know what they are giving you, don’t even know what you want out of what is available, board not waxed or edged, big queues on the first day of the week ... the list goes on.

I've never been to tignes. I just googled tignes snowboard hire and this was one of the top results (https://www.tignes-spirit.com/services/tignes-board-hire). I can pick my exact board from a decent range and they will deliver it directly to my accomodation. Google reviews has them at 4.3/5 so we can assume they offer a reasonably good service.
Basically solves all the supposed issues you bring up.

They look like a decent shop, but read between the lines to get a feel for board hire generally because these guys maybe the exception that proves the rule.

- they are the only shop in Tignes offering the service of delivery
- stocking brand new equipment that you wouldn’t normally see in ski rental shop.

Tignes is a huge resort with a lot of people and this hire shop says it has 250 boards so not sure you will get what you want even if you book now. I just tried the process and it didn’t let me pick a specific board, just a range, therefore no idea what I will get for my £120 if my choice isn’t available.

You may get lucky with a decent hire board, you probably will have to settle for something that is not right for you.

Trust me, I have hired many boards over many years in many countries before I bought my own and the choice was not good (seems to be a better choice in skis), and don’t get me onto the quality of bindings (twice broken in Tignes and St Anton on the mountain on the first day of hire)

Or I could buy that Jones board I linked or similar for £100 more Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello!

This is such a lovely topic! There is a very nice set of advices from all. At one point while reading, I even got lost.
Nevertheless, I just wanted to give my input on the matter. Even with all these great advices I found a very nice German article on the matter in hand. Let's call it a basic overview of what you need to know when buying a snowboard. I feel it is very much easier if you read the article to make the decision on your own. I am leaving the article here also for anyone else who might stumble on this question looking for some answers! As the german goes, a simple google translate is sufficient!

Hope it helps! Best regards!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frühstücksfleisch
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boarder2020 wrote:
shiny and new!

Maybe the most important 3 words in snowboarding Laughing

The Jones frontier is the Explorer replacement so its a great board. I have an Explorer and love it but I really enjoyed my day on a Gnu Mullair when I done a demo. Different boards but for all mountain the mullair was a blast. My point re bindings was yes to invest in decent bindings as you can stay with them for years and won't need to replace them. Burtons have parts readily available in most resorts if you need them. I'd team that Frontier with decent bindings from Burton or Union and you're all set!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'd team that Frontier with decent bindings from Burton or Union and you're all set!

^ this. Good bindings are like good IT, when its all working, you'll probably never notice what they are doing for you.
Burton and Union are widely available, normally reliable and good service if anything does go pear-shaped.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
loving my Drake Podium Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got now drives on my explorer - Goes nice. Can’t go wrong with decent Burton or union either.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tignes Spirit are great, you will get the board you want (if it's available, of course) and you'll be able to try different boards if you like. Best choice of boards in Tignes for sure, good splitboard rentals as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That said, the Jones Frontier is a great board too. I tested / reviewed a bunch of Jones boards for White Lines last year and it was my favourite Jones. I'd have one as my daily driver for sure.
ski holidays
kosmoz wrote:
get an used set, that is not very old and abused. Even if you don't like it you'll be able to sell it with little to none financial loss.

I agree, this is exactly the mistake I did at the very beginning. I bough a new set right after my first snowboard trip (which was only 5 days long btw.Smile and then I found out that it's not really the right for me. Therefore, I would also recommend you to either rent a set or to buy a new one since it'll take some time until you find out what you're actually looking for Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy