Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying first board

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
having done 2 week long snowboard trips I've decided to buy a snowboard for next year but I'm finding there are so many options that I need some advice Very Happy

I'm looking at the Solomon Sight, would this be a good board to choose? My riding is mostly just going around the groomed pistes with friends so an all mountain board seems idea.
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Salomon_Sight_Hybrid_Camber_Snowboard_162cm_Wide_2020-(228078)

Also what kind of size should I go for? I'm 181cm tall,wear size 11 boots and weigh 80kg (although I plan to weigh a bit more by next year). Should I get the 162W or the 159? It seems like my boot size is right on the limit for the 159.

for bindings I was looking at getting the package deal with the Solomon Rhythm
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Salomon_Rhythm_Snowboard_Bindings_M_Black_2020-(231771)

thanks for any help.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say go for the 159 and avoid wide boards at your current skill level. If you really want a wide go for the 158w not the 162w.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you're a size 11 and planning to hit say 85kg I'd say the 162w is going to suit best on the salomon sight.

you're going to need a wide or mid-wide

absolute snow seem to have some nice discounts on at the moment. salomon sleepwalker 155w is a belter of a board

the rhythm bindings are sound.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you find a rossignol one lf or yes basic in your price range?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys, looks like theres some different oppinions on size then. I didn't realise a wide might be more difficult for a beginner.
85kg is also probably the sort of weight I hope to get to, if not a little more.

Mr.Egg wrote:
Can you find a rossignol one lf or yes basic in your price range?

I think it's a little out of my price range, I was looking to spend under £250 for the board and the cheapest I can find is £340 on abosulte snow. Any reason for suggesting that one?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How many weeks do you intend to snowboard next season?

If it's 1 or 2 my advice would be don't buy a board. Firstly as a beginner you don't have the experience to know what you want in a board. Secondly if you manage to pick out a suitable beginner board you will probably out grow it after a few more weeks snowboarding.

You are looking at £400+ for board, bindings, and boots. Then you've got to add in costs for ski carriage, servicing (you can do this yourself but requires a bit of initial investment and time), hassle should something break etc. You are looking at 5-6 trips before you break even with renting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ah, if you're trying to keep budget low, have you got yourself some boots?

that's the first thing you need. spend as much money as it takes to get the right fitting boots. then spend what you have left on board and bindings

boarder2020 is right about factoring in costs like board carriage as it adds up. you will also need a snowboard bag to carry it all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://snowboardexperts.co.uk/shop/nidecker-score/

https://snowboardexperts.co.uk/shop/salomon-rhythm/

£240 for board and bindings from a great shop. worth calling up for advice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ayrton,

FYI - Yes basic last years model on sale on TSA. This was my first board and whilst I have another - still use this regularly as it’s such a pleasure to use.

https://www.snowboard-asylum.com/yes-men-s-basic-snowboard-2019-2020-820971?FT20Feed=00002752&FT20Prod=820971900156&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1qL6BRCmARIsADV9JtZlsyH90_ylk-0DXVsD4y5oZqg-j1NSHTLJt-OW6Q9OwvJUb4x2fl0aAgQMEALw_wcB
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang on....
2 weeks?

Keep renting & buy boots first!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should have mentioned I bought some good boots already for my last trip. I'm probably only doing the one trip ( the eosb) next year, maybe 2 if the pandemic situation looks good. One of the reasons I was looking at a board was because I got a deal on almost free ski carriage and I liked the idea of not having to mess around going to rental shops, plus I had a few issues with the rental gear last time and I liked the idea of having my own stuff that I knew was good. Maybe that's the wrong way to look at it and renting would be better though.

£250 was what I came up with based on the deals I saw, but I might spend more if it means getting something good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

having my own stuff that I knew was good.

The problem is you don't know what is "good". Do you want camber/rocker? How stiff do you want it? Etc. There is no correct answer a lot depends on your personal preferences and ability.

The Solomon bindings don't get good reviews. They are bottom of the line basic bindings for beginners. Probably fine for you right now, but you would likely be wanting to upgrade soon enough.

I would continue to rent untill you've got out the beginner stage and can buy a setup that's going to last and not need replacing soon. Renting will allow you to test out a range of boards (shapes, sizes, stiffness etc.) and work out what works best for you. Also if you are only doing 1-2 weeks per year financially renting is more more efficient than buying (plus ski carriage, servicing etc).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think people probably fall into two groups, those of us who've made the mistake you're about to make,
and those who've yet to make it. However...

ayrton wrote:
... £250 was what I came up with based on the deals I saw, but I might spend more if it means getting something good.

I guess the problem is how you're going to know what "good" looks like on the internet.

People on here can say what worked for them, but they can't tell what a board
they haven't ridden will be like for them, and they can't say what any board would be like for someone else.
They can't tell you what "good" looks like either.

If you rent then you can take a board straight back and swap it after one run. If you buy, you're stuck with it.

But then some people buy cars without test driving them.
There's no way that is the most efficient approach.

The linked boards look like soft novice boards. They're likely fine for the early learning
stages where you're not expecting to turn on edge at speed etc. If you have to buy blind then
spend as little as possible; get one your feet fit onto; make sure you are
in the middle of the recommended weight range.

Oh...also it's easier to progress on a board which is fun and easy to ride, so definitely stick with
novice boards until you know what you want and why.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ayrton wrote:
I liked the idea of not having to mess around going to rental shops, plus I had a few issues with the rental gear last time and I liked the idea of having my own stuff that I knew was good

This was a big motivator for me in getting my own kit too. The Sight looks like a good board for your level, forgiving, not too stiff, but not a total noodle either. You can always sell it any upgrade if you find you outgrow it.

You could possibly find some slightly better bindings, checkout Angry Snowboarder, he has some good reviews of bindings that won't break the bank. Infact here it is

http://youtube.com/v/ZDM1TO0MENA
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ended up buying my own board (and bindings as a set-up, second hand on ebay) after a bad experience with some rental equipment, but have still ended up renting a board on each of my last 3 trips in order to try something different and more appropriate for the conditions.

I'm cheap and constantly scouring ebay for deals though and would strongly recommend doing the same. Especially as there's generally less competition for bigger boards.

As far as renting is concerned, in hindsight, the mistake I made was going with one of the big companies, hiring a board for a week, taking what they chucked at me and never going back. Now, I tend to go to smaller independent rental places where you can hire a better board for a day (not just the beginner boards for the rental market... especially as more and more of those are now putting plastic protectors over the nose and tail).

That's easier to do when you're not on a package deal and are arriving on a Monday or Tuesday instead of at the weekend with numerous others they're trying to process as quickly as possible though.
snow conditions
@ayrton, when I started boarding I managed quite a few trips early on and was massively disappointed with what was available to hire and each time I ended up with whatever the hire shop had or could con me into hiring.

I then decided to buy a board without testing it, mainly to have consistency, a better board than available for hire and something I could maintain myself. All boards feel a bit strange and my current board, GNU Riders Choice, was no different for my first few runs.

You know your height, weight, how many days on the mountain you will have, the type of riding you will be doing etc. so I can’t see any reason why you can’t get a board to suit your requirements - sometimes we have to learn to ride a board a bit beyond our ability rather than go for something that is a bendy easy ride but rubbish on a hard piste at speed.

There are lots of reviews of boards by people who know a lot about boards, what they do well and what they do badly.

I would suggest you understand what you want from a board, do some research and go for it.
ski holidays
I am yet to see a convincing argument of why OP should buy over rent.

Quote:

massively disappointed with what was available to hire and each time I ended up with whatever the hire shop had or could con me into hiring.

You have to find a good shop. Now there are some offering good ranges of boards. Of course if you don't know what you want to the point where they can give you something terrible you probably don't know enough about boards to be buying one anyway. Some shops have their stock online and you can specify an exact model and size before arriving

Quote:

I liked the idea of not having to mess around going to rental shops

Some companies will deliver to where you are staying. Even going to a rental place to pick up a pre-ordered rental is probably less time and faff than waxing a board which you will either need to do yourself or pay someone to do if you get your own board.

On the other hand renting:
-better financially
-more flexibility (pick a board to suit current conditions and ability)
-less faff (transporting board, servicing)
-less risk (I've seen someone hit a rock and pretty much destroy an almost brand new board)
snow conditions
@boarder2020, the problem is that you are new to the resort, don’t know the hire shop, don’t want to spend you first day shopping around, don’t even know what they are giving you, don’t even know what you want out of what is available, board not waxed or edged, big queues on the first day of the week ... the list goes on. I reckon any reasonable second hand £250 intermediate all-mountain board that is correctly sized for the rider will be better than the fuss of hiring and better than most boards available.

Most of my holidays have involved just taking a wheelie bag as my only hold bag with all my clothes in it, getting my lift pass and boom - first lift riding on a board I am used to, waxed, edged and ready to go.

Oh, and then there is the scams of being charged £500 for when you damage the £200 bit of firewood they gave you to ride Blush

Even if you go to an indie hire shop with decent boards they are not going to give an early intermediate any thing decent.

My recommendation is to buy
ski holidays
get an used set, that is not very old and abused. Even if you don't like it you'll be able to sell it with little to none financial loss.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
...There are lots of reviews of boards by people who know a lot about boards, what they do well and what they do badly.....
Not true, but also irrelevant to finding a board which works for a specific person.
Smart people test things.

rayscoops wrote:
...Oh, and then there is the scams of being charged £500 for when you damage the £200 bit of firewood they gave you to ride Blush
Try that on me and you'll end up in court pretty quickly.
snow conditions
kosmoz wrote:
get an used set, that is not very old and abused. Even if you don't like it you'll be able to sell it with little to none financial loss.

This is mostly good but again if you know what you're looking for or buying.

IMV the bindings are the 3rd most important piece in the jigsaw, boots first then board. A good beginner/ low intermediate binding like a Union Force or Burton Mission will probably see you through to 20 weeks riding. I wouldn't bother with the salomon rhythm as the resale is low and may not suit you after just a few more weeks riding. The first bindings I bought were Burton Cartel and still own a pair. It's great owning your own equipment but as a beginner its a gamble as to whether you'll still enjoy the ride after just a few weeks (or days even!)
latest report
Quote:

the problem is that you are new to the resort, don’t know the hire shop, don’t want to spend you first day shopping around, don’t even know what they are giving you, don’t even know what you want out of what is available, board not waxed or edged, big queues on the first day of the week ... the list goes on.

I've never been to tignes. I just googled tignes snowboard hire and this was one of the top results (https://www.tignes-spirit.com/services/tignes-board-hire). I can pick my exact board from a decent range and they will deliver it directly to my accomodation. Google reviews has them at 4.3/5 so we can assume they offer a reasonably good service.
Basically solves all the supposed issues you bring up.
ski holidays
Quote:

Not true, but also irrelevant to finding a board which works for a specific person.

Very true. Any board review is going to have huge bias from the reviewer. What I like in a board isn't necessarily what you like. A lot of things are also subjective (I would like to know what the difference is between a 6/10 stiffness rating and a 7/10 rating).

Trying out is the best way. And if you are in a resort renting it's the perfect opportunity to try different things out. If you find something you like you can sometimes even make a deal with the shop to buy the rental board at a good price.
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
kosmoz wrote:

This is mostly good but again if you know what you're looking for or buying.

IMV the bindings are the 3rd most important piece in the jigsaw, boots first then board. A good beginner/ low intermediate binding like a Union Force or Burton Mission will probably see you through to 20 weeks riding. I wouldn't bother with the salomon rhythm as the resale is low and may not suit you after just a few more weeks riding. The first bindings I bought were Burton Cartel and still own a pair. It's great owning your own equipment but as a beginner its a gamble as to whether you'll still enjoy the ride after just a few weeks (or days even!)

bad board will not give you problems. Bad bindings can. Imagine rubbery ride toecap breaks on you, and local shops doesn't carry them and have no parts to sell, or rental bindings have stripped out straps, so you can not put them tight enough, not to speak about all those rental bindings have little to no foam, have big fast release disc, leaving your stance adjustments limited to 2cm steps and no ways you can adjust heel/toe overhang. OP has boots, would buy discounted bindings and used, but still good snowboard. Board must be at least 2010+ years, medium to high end model, of reputable brand, for boards like that there is plenty of reviews and you will know what you're buying.

I still enjoy riding old boards from 2012-2014 seasons, when I started riding, even though me and my friends have plenty of fresher models. 2013 Salomon Mans board is a blast to ride and puts any current, but low end model, to shame, when it comes to speed and response, Salomon Sabotage 2013 lacks edge grip, but otherwise is very fun and nimble board, so there is nothing wrong getting something like that, but in good shape. Back when they were new, both got goodwood awards in their category, also AngrySnowboarder had nothing bad to say about them. Same goes with lots of boards.
ski holidays
Quote:

bad board will not give you problems.

I'd rather have bad bindings than a bendy noodle banana that can't hold an edge. I imagine some ultra stiff aggressive board will cause far more problems for the op than bad bindings.

I'm not saying bad bindings won't make snowboarding awful though.

Quote:

Salomon Sabotage 2013 lacks edge grip

This is the problem with reviews. You say it lacks edge grip (which would instantly put me off wanting to ride it). The good ride say it has "perfect" edge control.
snow report
one must know nothing to get banana noodle or stiff as doors snowboard by accident.

good ride has nothing to do in snowboarding reviews, they just tell the manufacturer marketing story in their own words, plus they don't know how to ride. all turns are skidded turns in their videos.

sabotage in 159 holds edge ok, in 156 - I am to much of a rider for it with my 95kg. But my 152 k2 bottle rocket holds edge even better than 159 sabotage. Not saying I can't ride 156 sabotage safe, I just cant carve it hard, and that's plenty of grip for gen pop, especially at the begining of their riding "careers".

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 31-08-20 8:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ayrton, https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/snowboard.html

https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/jones-frontier-2020-snowboard-review/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jones-Frontier-158w-All-Mountain-Freeride-Snowboard-2020-excellent-condition/283985885128?hash=item421ee0b7c8:g:YswAAOSwkeFeoHeI

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 31-08-20 9:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
philwig wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
...There are lots of reviews of boards by people who know a lot about boards, what they do well and what they do badly.....

sure in an ideal world you can test anything but you ain’t going to test a board in England in August.

My point though is that you can work out what size and general type of board suits (height, foot size, piste riding or jibbing etc) by reading a review of different types of boards and there are lots of such reviews out there, and very relevant. You can then check out what that translates to regarding specific boards and read a few reviews to get a feel for it. With a bit of research you won’t go too far wrong.

I reckon what ever you end up with will be better suited than the dross in the hire shop when most of the time they can’t even muster up a board that is the right size, never mind anything else.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
there is no doubt that renting is better than it used to be in most resorts, but snowboards tend to be an afterthought in many shops, with far less product range on offer than for skiers

i do short DIY trips of 4 to 6 days, so I dont want to
waste time in hire shops (unless we're splitboarding). some of the mountains we visit have hire facilities best described as basic.

also if snow is on in Scotland, being able to throw kit in the car and go at short notice is handy.

as for kit level, your ability is important when choosing. over-estimating my ability is certainly a mistake I've made in the past when buying kit and I reckon im not the only one.

if OP can comfortably ride blues/reds regular AND switch, can comfortably press/butter/ollie, then I'd agree the boards/bindings they are looking at will not be suitable for them, but otherwise they'll likely be just fine.

like I said, call up a good shop for a discussion about what is suitable for you.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
...in an ideal world you can test anything but you ain’t going to test a board in England in August.
I did not suggest any such thing.

<laughs> Of course you can test boards indoors in England at any time. This very web site runs an annual test session at multiple indoor slopes.
snow report
philwig wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
...in an ideal world you can test anything but you ain’t going to test a board in England in August.
I did not suggest any such thing.

<laughs> Of course you can test boards indoors in England at any time. This very web site runs an annual test session at multiple indoor slopes.

do you mean the ski test night in October ? not sure how you attend that in August (laughs) and you can knock £50 of the board budget for the pleasure of 30 mins max on the gravel like snow.

what boards did they have last year at the ski test night ? any at all? https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148660

Seriously though, I can’t see a problem having a punt on your first board to use for convenience if that is what you want to do, worst case is that you sell it on or keep it as thrash board.

There is something cathartic in owning your own board. Out of interest, do you own your own board ?
ski holidays
Buying a new board feels a lot nicer than getting a rental. All part of the fun. Have lost count of how many I own Happy Have never tested or rented a board beforehand - not really possible for me.

Just get what’s a good deal in the right size and sounds like it will suit your needs.

Pretty hard to actually get a bad board unless you get something really specialised and too hard to handle. So if you’re learning avoid really stiff or really soft, and stick to a normal shape.
snow conditions
Quote:

good ride has nothing to do in snowboarding reviews, they just tell the manufacturer marketing story in their own words

How are we supposed to know which reviewers are good and bad though. Even the good reviewers have their own biases.

Quote:

Have lost count of how many I own Have never tested or rented a board beforehand - not really possible for me.

Great if you have the money to keep buying boards. The fact you keep buying boards suggests you are not picking them too well though! Those of us that have found a great board that meets our demands are not buying new boards regularly. (I have 4 boards all mountain, powder, split, and rock which is an older version of the same model as my all mountain). Wouldn't even be interested in looking at new boards as I'm set with ones I like and for everything I need.

As op doesn't have a board right now they are in the perfect position to rent and try out a few different boards on their next trip to see what works for them. The fact they are asking strangers if something would be a good board for them makes me think they don't know what they are looking for just yet.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
...not sure how you attend that in August ... ...
I did not say that, you did.

rayscoops wrote:
...what boards did they have last year at the ski test night ...
I did not say that, you did.

I was at the 2018-19 event, which featured both boards and boarders.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:

The fact you keep buying boards suggests you are not picking them too well though!

do you buy new/another car only after current one is totaled or scrapyard worth? How often do you change your mobile phone? I buy new boards when I find a good deal for good board, keep it if I like it, sell with little to no loss if I don'l like it or it overlaps with other boards I own. Having more than 3 boards, when girlfriend has another 2, is a bit to heavy when travelling.
ski holidays
I don't own a car and have a old school phone so probably not a good example, but let's stick to snowboards. I only buy a new board when the last one needs replacing. What is the advantage of replacing it sooner? You could offer me a great deal on a board but I wouldn't be interested, why would I spend money on something I don't need - I already have a great snowboard.
I have friends that replace a lot. For most of them it's because they don't like their current board. For some it's a bit of a fashion thing, they like to have something shiny and new. For those that have found a board we love the thought of having to replace it is not something to look forward to!
ski holidays
I didn't really need a new board, but when I found Ride Timeless aluminium monster with 60% of - i could not not buy it Smile After aquiring it my salomon derby became obsolete, since it couldn't do anything better than timeless, so I sold it. For ~80% price I originally paid for when it was new. Also was looking for something park oriented, got my hands on very good reviewed k2 bottle rocket, will keep it until I find a great deal on Ride Warpig.
snow report
Different boards for different days and moods, powder board, on piste trench digger, daily driver twin, couple of splits.

Just like to mix it up and have fun using different gear.

So probably suggests I’m a varied interesting person who enjoys snowboarding as opposed to lack of ability in picking the one board to do it all Happy

I only replace a board when it’s dead. Been snowboarding a long time. Never sell them, too many good memories buried in the core shots. So just have a pile of old screwed boards.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to buy a board, maybe second hand (that Jones Frontier looks like it may be ideal) and spend a little more for some better bindings.
snow report
Frontier is a nice board
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy