Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season booked but what to do?

Poster: A snowHead
So back in Feb we took the plunge and commited to doing our first season in Chamonix for 20/21. I've paid the deposit for the apartment but not commited to anything else yet. Lift passes will be out soon so do I continue the plan? What are others thinking? Westill really want to go and my missus will be working but I'm planning to be a bum. If there's drastically less tourists then they'll be less work so that could impact us badly. I'll be relying on the missus income to keep alive but I'm shelling out the main outlay. I budgeted the following but could this change drastically?

Accommodation = £7,000 (this is set)
Travel Return by Car = £530 (£160 euro tunnel, £120 Tolls, £250 Fuel)
Lift Passes = £1,200 for me (PAYG for the missus)
Insurance = £450 (together)
Spending Money = £3,000 (£150 per week for 20 weeks for shopping in supermarket not on the mountain)
Total = £12180

There have been a number of threads already for next season but I wanted more seasonaires thoughts. What's the view on Cham and doing a season anywhere next winter?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just go, surely? You won’t live forever, and you might have a great season with reduced numbers of tourists.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think you should double your weekly spending budget.
This will allow for the odd lunch out at a mountain restaurant, and a few evenings out with the many friends your'e sure to make in the season.
Also any un-spent weekly budget can build a contingency fund. ( ski repairs, car repairs, phone / data, utility bills, insurance excess if needed, emergency helmet purchase if you're in the habit of breaking them, goggles etc, Taxe de Sejour ).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you'll be kicking it around in the UK thinking 'I could be on the mountain now' if you dont go.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming you are British, €7000 seems a lot of money for a 90 day maximum stay. Or are you planning to go before 1st Jan and register as residents in France?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gainz, agree with @queenie pretty please, That accommodation seems expensive. I’d suggest in outlying villages you can do it for a lot less and still get quality places.

My main point would be that I’d personally not want to be in one place all the time if I was doing a season (if only btw).....have you thought about moving about between say 2-3 areas and varying it up a bit. Cham is a great place but personally I wouldn’t personally want to be there all season. I know that lift passes would be more expensive but next season who knows, there may be deals around?

Also with the uncertainty around Covid is it worth committing early - I’d think that there’ll be lots of options nearer the time?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Views on Cham? It's my place, despite all the hassle of transport, the disconnect areas, the old lift infra... I did 3 months last season in Chamonix and was the best time ever. I had to cut short the last few days of my season but I got close of 70 skiing days out of 85 available. I just needed rest to avoid injuries.

I do highly recommend driving there - car is essential. The ski buses work but it is a hassle, especially Feb. And with car you can easily visit Saint Gervais/Courmayeur, etc.

Missus remote worked reduce hours there and I did 3 months on sabbatical. In regards to your costs breakdown, you probably got yourself a nice place, there is the "shoebox" studios for less but I did pay a little more as well for extra comfort (that said it was more in the 5.5-5.8k euros region).

I cooked every day and took a sandwich to the mountains. I did have the odd mountain lunch and drinks but generally, the Chamonix mountain restaurants aren't that great anyway. Checking out my budget it seems the average of grocery spending was 500euros/month, I think you can save some money from your estimated 3k. But if you dine out frequently and etc yeah that goes easily too.

About next season... There is an element of risk I suppose of things shutting down again. I'm holding back anything just yet to be fair. But I still kinda hope I can keep working remotely from now on and perhaps repeat a season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not really a Cham specific or seasonnaire thing - it's next season is an unknown for anyone. I suspect after this year thart lockdowns will tend to be more localised but then Cham by virue of its internationalness maybe paints a big COVID target on itself. My only real comments if you do go for it are:

- Why do you want your missus on PAYG passes , breakeven is usually around 20 days or less? Is she not actually living out there and only flying out occasionally?
- £150 per week for self catering sounds ample, you'll be able to get the odd meal out and drinks within that too. Remember it's your job not an on the wee wee holibob.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So just to further clarify, my wife will only snowboard a few times a month as she's planning on working full time (she wants to do this btw). I'll be working remotely for not more than once a week or less (ideally once a month). I plan to write another novel and finish a screenplay during my time away too. I'm a Brit but have EU ID and the missus is EU.

We booked in Jan actually for 5 months Dec - April so we'll stay in Cham for all of it though I'll be mobile to go to other resorts. Ideally don't want to drive on a daily basis and will use the buses. Not a problem for me but where needed I will drive. Accommodation is expensive but when broken down it was around £1400 pcm for a one bed flat - which isn't so bad when comparing to London, though would be better if it were cheaper.

I've gathered so much equipment now I'm sure I'd last the season so no need for any contingency. I may buy another snowboard while out there and have that money saved and will sell the snowboard that gets replaced. I'll decide that later after a few demos etc and re-aquaint myself with my snowboards as I haven't ridden one for a few years and another has had limited use.

So my worry is obviously getting ill, France goes into lockdown again, no work once out there for the missus (will try to source something before but that may be more difficult now due to c19)

Other things like winter tyres, snow chains I haven't made up my mind yet. Do I definitely need these? I'm running all weather tyres atm. Is it madness to commit to a foreign country for 5 months so soon? I didn't get to the mountains last winter as we had this booked though was looking out for a cheeky bargain in March but the outbreak happened and that ended that so we would both be really gutted if we didn't go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Took me months to decide winter tyres or all-season but in the end I opted for going safe. But I did go for mid-range ones. I liked so much driving to the Alps that I’m def keeping them for future trips. My snow chains have never left the boots but sounds like you could be asked to put them by french police so I bought it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the pure skiing side, this season is likely to be epic (less people/competition).

As to the rest, no-one knows. Pure guesswork, so I think you've just gotta go and try it...

BTW even if your wife only boards on weekends it's probably still worth getting a season pass, moreso when you factor in the random morning/afternoon sessions which'll pop up. If she doesn't, expect a dilemma every weekend whether it's worth dropping €50 a day for passes or not when looking at the weather forecasts...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gainz wrote:

So my worry is obviously getting ill, France goes into lockdown again, no work once out there for the missus (will try to source something before but that may be more difficult now due to c19)

Well you can plan for that now - what will you do if you are locked into your appt + 1km radius for exercise/shopping and your wife has lost her job because of COVID? Will that totally ruin your experience or will you still get something out of it becuase you'll be together and somewhere different? If worst case isn't the end of the world you're fine, if it is then the safer bet is to burn your deposit money if necessary and decide nearer the time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A season lift pass was around 900 iirc for us last year as it was our first season pass should get some discount this year, Gainz def get the mount blanc unlimited pass gives access to a far bigger area
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

From the pure skiing side, this season is likely to be epic (less people/competition).

I don't think it's that clear. How will aguille du midi run while maintaining social distancing? Limited capacity and huge queues? Both brevent and flegere require gondola access, which could lead to similar problems. I'm also not convinced the stereotypical Chamonix crowd are going to be put off by covid and they seem more obvious competition for lines. That said, it could be epic. Guess we will wait and see.

I think finding work may be a problem.

Having already spent the money on accomodation it seems like a no brained to at least go and try. Of course nobody really knows for sure what will happen, too much uncertainty.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have done the last four seasons in the alps, last season in Cham. A car is essential, also get the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass so you can go to several other resorts. I have had Kleber Quadraxer all season tyres, but properly certified as winter tyres, and have not needed chains, but always carry them just in case. To eat within budget you will probably need to do some shopping down the valley, as the Cham supermarkets are pretty poor, and much more expensive than the UK. If you have correct access to healthcare what is worse about getting ill/locked down in Cham as opposed to anywhere else?
ski holidays
Oh, and eating or drinking on the hill in the Chamonix area is absolutely stupidly expensive, if on a budget just don't! For a sensibly priced pint though, this last season several bars in town had "happy hour" from 4pm to 6pm, with beers at 3euros for a half litre.
latest report
Waxing iron, scraper, brushes and edge sharpening tools needed with a good supply of wax. When you’re out there for a season you suddenly balk at shop prices and it’s quite therapeutic doing it in the evening. Get a kit now before you go.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Gainz wrote:

Well you can plan for that now - what will you do if ...

Will you be financially ok even if the missus can't find work? Can your missus start looking for work now to have some idea?

Also, is your deposit on lodging a done deal? If so, what's there to debate but to continue the planning? Only if it's refundable that this discussion is meaningful. And if it's refundable, you need to rethink what kind of financial outlay is acceptable given the uncertainty of income.
ski holidays
abc, actually it will be time to pay the remainder or the 50% deposit soon but wanted to get a few thoughts/ ideas before I speak to them. I should have mentioned we paid only 25% so far but its still £1750 and we don't want to lose it.

My gut feeling is sod it and go. The missus will need to work to bring in a little bacon but also to keep her sane. She couldn't handle snowboarding and drinking everyday for 5 months like me Toofy Grin

RobinS, I have the klebers in my ebay watch list, is it worth getting steel wheels too? they seem expensive but would save the alloys from the salt and kerbs. Mont Blanc unlimited is essential I'd have thought and last years price seemed to be £1200 if I'm not mistaken.

Agent Orange, I have all of that stuff too, been servicing my boards for a few years now.

I am worried about being stuck in a smaller space and the wife not working. I can write, play my geetar etc so I should be ok. as boarder2020 says work may be a problem so will start looking soon.

I've been planning this for years but only the last year or so with the missus. We got married last year and wanted to do something else for a while before the sprogs came along!!
latest report
Accommodation price looks a rip.

Chamonix is low and getting smashed by global boiling and now rarely gets snow in town.

You'll spend the season surrounded by slushy brown concrete.

No white winter wonderland, like the travel brochures.

When a 2nd wave of death plague sweeps Europe, resorts and lifts will shut faster than you can count to ten.

Your 12k will go up in smoke.
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
abc, actually it will be time to pay the remainder or the 50% deposit soon but wanted to get a few thoughts/ ideas before I speak to them. I should have mentioned we paid only 25% so far but its still £1750 and we don't want to lose it.

My gut feeling is sod it and go. The missus will need to work to bring in a little bacon but also to keep her sane. She couldn't handle snowboarding and drinking everyday for 5 months like me Toofy Grin

RobinS, I have the klebers in my ebay watch list, is it worth getting steel wheels too? they seem expensive but would save the alloys from the salt and kerbs. Mont Blanc unlimited is essential I'd have thought and last years price seemed to be £1200 if I'm not mistaken.

Agent Orange, I have all of that stuff too, been servicing my boards for a few years now.

I am worried about being stuck in a smaller space and the wife not working. I can write, play my geetar etc so I should be ok. as boarder2020 says work may be a problem so will start looking soon.

I've been planning this for years but only the last year or so with the missus. We got married last year and wanted to do something else for a while before the sprogs came along!!

Ignore mr happy whitegold it's a troll, take no notice of him.
You will have a blast being there all season,
snow conditions
If your Mrs does get a job she should be able to get a discounted season pass, I don't know the rules/prices for Cham but sure others here will be able to help.
snow report
Discounted passes in Cham are only for repeat purchasers, though there is an early purchase price - we paid just over 1000 euros each for MBU last season - no extra discount for working there. We just used the alloys on the car - it is now 8 years old, and after 4 alpine winters they don't look any worse than any others of the same age. Cham is low, but there was snow in town most of last season. It is worth visiting some of the english speaking bars, just to find others to talk to, there are vast numbers of seasonaires, and full time english residents in Cham.
snow conditions
@Gainz, at first sight I thought your accommodation expensive but if it covers 5 months no complaining. You say you prefer using public transport to car: from Chamonix you can take trains and buses up and down the valley, and from Chamonix Sud bus stop there is a service bus (i.e. not on the lift pass) that goes to St Gervais, Combloux and Megeve (all Evasion Mont Blanc) and ends up in Praz-sur-Arly (Espace Diamant) which are all covered on the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass I understand. So is Verbier which is theoretically accessible by train though I don't know whether that is feasible for a day trip.

My only thought is that if your wife is only an occasional skier/snowboarder, Chamonix might be a bit hard core for her and it could be worth looking at other centres which would also probably be cheaper.
ski holidays
On one hand I’m thinking you’re a lucky man - and I’m very envious.
On the other hand I’m thinking with my natural ‘glass half empty’ financial conservatism. I expect the economic/financial world will be a completely different place in 6 months time. Have you got contingencies in place for when you return from your season skiing? Personally I’d be going nowhere unless I had twelve months living costs tucked away for when you return.
snow report
Agent Orange wrote:
Waxing iron, scraper, brushes and edge sharpening tools needed with a good supply of wax. When you’re out there for a season you suddenly balk at shop prices and it’s quite therapeutic doing it in the evening. Get a kit now before you go.

This. Even more so when your wife’s board needs doing (& you don’t actually sell the old board but keep it for the days when it’s just right).

We tried to negotiate a discount but it was hit and miss depending on who was on the till.

And food is simply much more expensive even in supermarkets in the valley (roughly double the price of uk but treble the quality). Batch cook and go vegetarian helps.
ski holidays
Wi11iam wrote:
And food is simply much more expensive even in supermarkets in the valley (roughly double the price of uk but treble the quality).

For someone staying in Chamonix "in the valley" to me means Sallanches/Passy, prices there seem comparable to the UK to me.
snow conditions
Quote:

Praz-sur-Arly (Espace Diamant) which are all covered on the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass I understand

I don't think any part of the Espace Diamant is on the MBU pass.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely go, I've lived in Cham for 3 years and am looking forward to a pretty normal winter - maybe with less Brits. A lot could change between now and December but you could spend your life second guessing everything. Midi is rammed in the afternoons at the minute, queues for miles but the early morning alpinists lifts are fine, no queue. Distancing has gone out the window, I got crowbarred on the penultimate lift the other day after coming down from the tacul sans mask.

7 grand for accom works out at 1400 a month if yo're staying 5 months. Even for Chamonix this is mental, get out of it if you can. You can find a nice 1 bed flat for under 1k/month.

We do our weekly food shop down the valley at Grand Frais in Domancy. Super U passy and Intermarche are slightly cheaper but GF is much more pleasant. Super U Les Houches is still fine though, you just want to avoid the Cham centre supermarkets really. No one eats on the hill, its shite (with a couple of exceptions at Le Tour and Hooches)

100% snow tyres are necessary. You should have chains but I haven't put them on in 3 years (it is the worlds biggest pain in the back bottom). You'll be wanting to drive to Courmayeur, St Gervais, Morzine, Praz, shops.

MBU will be 1200 for your first year, no getting around that. You get 1 day in Espace Diamant with your 3 free tickets to other resorts.

Come! You'll never leave...
latest report
@Meltus, thanks man that's kind of eased my concerns, but where are these 1k/month 1 beds you talk about? I haven't seen any for that price at all during my 3 month search. I'm speaking to the agency on friday so if you have any links for cheaper places I'd love to check them out.

Next problem will be work for the wife. We originally looked at office jobs but that would be too boring for her and post covid may be different in Cham in offices. I wouldn't want her working in a bar thats just too much fun.

We're also bringing essential foods like BB, halloumi, teabags and peanut or almond butter or both. Probably take shampoo shower gels and laundry detergent as i remember these being really expensive in France. What essentails would anyone recommend?
snow report
Make sure you have a slow cooker, put it on in the morning and it's ready when you come in and enough for two or three days or freeze down for another time
snow conditions
My and my GF live in a very nice 1 bed flat for 950 and our previous flat was 850 with a pool! Make sure you're in the right Facebook groups (Chamonix locations & partage de logement, Chamonix buy & sell), agencies will take the wee wee.

Does your wife speak French? If not then she will struggle to get an office job of any kind, bar or restaurant will be the best bet, though they're usually sewn up by returning or permanent staff. Chamonix has a much larger permanent populace than other resorts where its easier to just rock up and find a job. It's still definitely doable though and I know plenty of people who came for a week's holiday and never left.

I wouldn't bother with 'essentials' tbh, you can get everything here and toiletries are normal price down the valley. We just order our 2000 bag sack of Yorkshire tea from amazon every 8 months or so.

"make sure you have a slow cooker" - first time I've heard that put down on the season essentials list! No one has a slow cooker.
latest report
Gainz wrote:
@Meltus, thanks man that's kind of eased my concerns, but where are these 1k/month 1 beds you talk about? I haven't seen any for that price at all during my 3 month search. I'm speaking to the agency on friday so if you have any links for cheaper places I'd love to check them out.

Next problem will be work for the wife. We originally looked at office jobs but that would be too boring for her and post covid may be different in Cham in offices. I wouldn't want her working in a bar thats just too much fun.

We're also bringing essential foods like BB, halloumi, teabags and peanut or almond butter or both. Probably take shampoo shower gels and laundry detergent as i remember these being really expensive in France. What essentails would anyone recommend?

You are looking through agencies and probably keeping you search to the center of town.
Small one bed for €500 can be found. We are in Les Houches, have Ski in/out, Unerground parking, pool. 2 bed + Mezanine for €750. BUT for most of us working here for a living that is much more than %50 of annual income. Links no, you will have to come and read notice boards, knock on doors, join local facebook forums (and it be obvious that you are here) to find the cheaper ones.

What is BB? Halloumi is hard to find as is Earl Grey tea, but most everything else is not a big difference and I haven't bothered importing much anything in 20+ years.
ski holidays
@Idris, BB = baked beans!

I think finding a flat without being out thee would be difficult and would prefer having a place when we arrive. I have joined the groups Meltus, mentioned and already in another group which didn't have a single flat worth looking at anywhere near the £7k we've booked. 850 would be right on point for us though so I'll keep trying. The missus doesn't speak french unfortunately. If all goes well then we'll arrive 1st or 2nd december and if we haven't found a job for the missus by then we'll go knocking on doors I guess. Perhaps take less stuff too as I'm sure the car would be full anyway with just gear and clothes.
ski holidays
BB yes bring as much as you can carry.

When I just did seasons I would arrive late November about a decade ago (I had long since become resident) it stopped becoming a viable way of soing things. But this year will be different, with Covid and Brexit I think there will be a lot less accomadation pressure and more will be available than in a long time.

We are hoping the retail market does the same, it's not at the moment, things are going up, but they will burst as soo many places that were bought for AirBnB or to speculate or run a Chalet business but none of whom paid tax here are going bust in their droves.
ski holidays
£7k accomodation and £1.2k lift pass. And people say North America is expensive snowHead Could do two seasons in Canada for that!
latest report
Idris wrote:

We are hoping the retail market does the same, it's not at the moment, things are going up, but they will burst as soo many places that were bought for AirBnB or to speculate or run a Chalet business but none of whom paid tax here are going bust in their droves.

Well lets hope so but French are extremely stubborn sellers, they will have to be in a lot of distress to drop what they think something is worth. Now Brit sellers may be different.

With the amount of money the various govt have injected into the system I'd expect my savings to be worthless before my house.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
£7k accomodation and £1.2k lift pass. And people say North America is expensive snowHead Could do two seasons in Canada for that!

true dat bruv!

I was trying to go to Whistler originally but forget about finding anything there half decent to live in and if you want your own private place then its $$$$$$
ski holidays
€1.2k lift pass is nuts. Here you're talking €450 for the whole year... But accom. is more (and 3 year contracts).
snow report
@Gainz, what are you giving up at home if you go?

If you (your missus) have a stable job at home, but are uncertain of getting any work in Cham, that’s one thing. Are you paying rent at home or have your own home?

There’s no guarantee your missus will have work at UK by December either. Plus, you’re paying rent in Cham but you would have to pay rent if you don’t go.

If you don’t give up much by going, I’d say go.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy