Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise on the booster and the Covishield batch of the AZ vaccine? If you have 1 dose of Covisheild, 1 of Astra Zeneca and a subsequent booster, are you classed as boosted and therefore no PCR required or just vaccinated so need a PCR? Sorry if I’ve missed this elsewhere in the thread.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@vmark1, the only thing anyone is looking at is the booster so no PCR required. I have scanned QR codes for people in this situation before and can confirm one of them is in Austria now without any problems.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@vmark1, welcome to Snowheads! I managed to enter Austria with Covishield as my first batch plus a second AZ and Pfizer booster. No issue - as @Chris_n says, all they look at is the booster QR code or certificate
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
So for example, I was using an open and wide chairlift in Montafon today & virtually no one was using a mask, when there were only two or three sitting on the lift as there was sufficient "Abstand" to others. By contrast everyone was using a mask in the Gondola Kabinen...

We were in a Gondola in Hochkonig around Christmas time. For probably the only time on the whole holiday others ran to jump in the same gondola as us (no idea why as there was absolutely no queue). One of those so keen to be in a gondola with us then proceeded to 'wear' her mask as a chin rest. As soon as it became evident that she had no intention of putting her mask on I faked a small coughing fit, lo and behold the mask was suddenly where it should be!

This was very much the exception over the entire fortnight though with 99%+ of people following rules diligently.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Advice required... Fly to Austria on 14/2. Daughter just after turning 12 caught covid on 28/12 and therefore has had no vaccinations. I have managed to get a copy of her NHS Covid Recovery Pass and also the Doctor to sign the Medical Certificate (Recovery Inline with Section 9) Anlage I. Does she therefore not need a PCR.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe she needs a PCR but no Ninja. Please tell me how you got a covid recovery pass (QR?). My grandson is 12 tomorrow, fly Saturday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How to get a digital NHS COVID Pass
There are 2 ways you can get a digital NHS COVID Pass.

Information:
You can:

download and use the NHS App to get your NHS COVID Pass if you're aged 13 or over
use the online NHS COVID Pass service if you're aged 12 or over
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://covid-status.service.nhsx.nhs.uk/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Please may I clarify my understanding of the rules in play from 20 February.

17 year old has two jabs and is therefore fully vaccinated so need to do a single PCR in the 72 hours before entry.

13 year old also two vaccines and therefore needs just PCR 72 hours before entry AND NOT THE NINJA PASS

10 year old is fine.

On another note I am currently in Zell am See and the lifties are assiduously applying the FFP2 on lifts (polar opposite in Canada last month)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just feedback in case you are needing a last-minute registration. My grandson is 12 today. At 7 this morning we registered him on the NHS Covid Pass site (PC, not the app as he isn't 13). Needed his NHS number, passport photograph and had to record a video clip using the pc camera. Covid pass came through in 2 hours!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The detail on here is almost overwhelming, but very useful, many thanks to those who have posted advice. I am looking forward to a week in Obergurgl with Inghams from 26th Feb, so I think I need to be getting properly organised. Two retired men, both boosted less than 6 months ago, so that's OK. Coming from Scotland, I think I've established that our Scottish version of the NHS vaccination app is acceptable, but for a paper copy, I'm not sure if it's the same thing I've to print, or the letter I can download from the NHS website? I'm about to order some FFP2 masks, which seem to be largely marked NR (non-re-usable) - if that is so, I imagine I should be taking a box of 20 to cover the week, or is it widely accepted that they can be re-used to a degree? And friends just back from Italy said it was a faff taking helmet off, mask on, helmet on again, so I'm interested in the (jeans) buttons someone reported using to allow helmet to stay on, but did anyone else find any other ways to avoid the faff?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you rotate three or four FFP2 masks you will be fine
They are a bit yuck if you have been wearing the same one for a few hours

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 10-02-22 22:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re the Scottish version of the NHS vaccination paper copy
You want the one with the QR codes
Easy to get if you have your NHS number

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 10-02-22 22:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wrt FFP2 masks, my understanding of 'non-reusable' refers mostly to the fact there's no guaranteed way to wash them and maintain effectiveness, and that, providing they retain their shape (and hence a tight fit) and are structurally intact you can keep using them. In practice I've found that means 3 to 5 days use is possible if using only where required (lifts, shops, bars/restaurants, shared interior areas).

Re practicalities of taking a mask on and off, I've seen ski shops selling helmet attachments for masks, though I've not tried them.

Re the covid pass, the QR code for the booster is what you need, whether printed or on an app. Some places are happy to just read the text of the pdf (all they care about is that it's the 3rd dose), but some want to scan the QR code.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helpful replies, many thanks.
snow report
@barkerdm19, I use the same one for weeks at a time so I dont think any issues with a box of 20 for the week. I put one end through the helmet strap and then clip the other end to the buckle when needed which works fine though I guess it depends on the exact helmet design (tuck the mask away when not needed). I would get a different app than the NHS one as it is clunky to use (or at least the English one appears to be) download either the German Corona Warn or the Austrian Grüner Pass app. In general all anyone is interested in looking at is either to scan the QR code (booster) or to check you have had 3 of 3, some people will insist of checking your photo id as well (legally it is necessary but most people dont bother).
ski holidays
I’ve just put the mask on as normal and the helmet on top. That’s pinned it on my ears fine and I’ve just been pulling it over my chin to ski down then back up at lift stations. I’ve barely noticed it to be honest. My 9 year old son hasn’t been told once to wear one or pull his buff up, and neither did we see any other kids being told (to my surprise reading earlier posts). I think the lifties realise they’re all sat at a table together at lunch so being in a gondola is no different.
snow report
Just double checking that for a 17 year old the adult rules apply. She had a booster jab in November so no PCR test result require?
snow report
I've just been wearing mask as normal (looped over ears) and putting helmet on. Most people here (SkiWelt) have them over nose/mouth even when using the open chairs, and I've not seen lifties needing to enforce. Pull the mask down under your chin when skiing. I've taken a spare out with me, but haven't needed it and have used a fresh one every morning.

As for COVID pass...I've got a couple of copies with me and the pdf downloaded to phone. I've shown the print outs 3 times all week... Salzburg airport, hotel check in and when I bought my lift pass. I've had a print out with me at all times tho.
latest report
Just seen this article, could be further good news regarding restrictions.. "The federal government will discuss further easing of the corona measures together with the state governors on Wednesday. Further steps are to be taken on February 19, the Federal Chancellery announced in a broadcast on Friday." Source: https://www-salzburg24-at.translate.goog/news/oesterreich/corona-regierung-beraet-am-mittwoch-ueber-lockerungen-116891812?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB
snow report
snorks wrote:
Just seen this article, could be further good news regarding restrictions.. "The federal government will discuss further easing of the corona measures together with the state governors on Wednesday. Further steps are to be taken on February 19, the Federal Chancellery announced in a broadcast on Friday." Source: https://www-salzburg24-at.translate.goog/news/oesterreich/corona-regierung-beraet-am-mittwoch-ueber-lockerungen-116891812?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB

Unfortnately we arrive on 19th so any changes will be too late for us.

Was really hoping they would drop the PCR requirement for double jabbed (my teenage kids) as its making me really nervous in case there is something residual in their system from an asymptomatic infection which wasnt picked up by their routine LFT they do for school.
snow report
@melandnick, same here. We go 16th. Mine have been taking daily LFTs for the last week, but like you, I'm also really nervous that the test will pick up something residual.
snow report
Yep, I have the same concern re the teenager PCR. Regular LFTs since whenever, always been negative, but so much infection around that it feels like a miracle is needed for them to test negative!
snow conditions
@Hayls @TyroleanWaltz
according to entry requirements at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements

"If you have recovered within the past 90 days, you can use a medical certificate (including the date of recovery) as a substitute for the PCR test. You must complete this form in English."

problem will be finding a 'certifying medical doctor' a) at short notice (<24 hours) to complete it and b) willing to sign it in the absence of any actual proof of infection and recovery.
ski holidays
If you download the app for 13 year olds & over, or just register on the NHS website for 12 year olds, the vaccine and recovery appear with QR codes so would expect these will be accepted by Austrian authorities?
ski holidays
@SheffMark, yes, NHS QR codes are fine.

@gresty, 16+ are treated as adults. Boosted 17yr old does not need PCR test.
latest report
Quote:

@gresty, 16+ are treated as adults. Boosted 17yr old does not need PCR test.

Thanks
snow report
barkerdm19 wrote:
The detail on here is almost overwhelming, but very useful, many thanks to those who have posted advice. I am looking forward to a week in Obergurgl with Inghams from 26th Feb, so I think I need to be getting properly organised. Two retired men, both boosted less than 6 months ago, so that's OK. Coming from Scotland, I think I've established that our Scottish version of the NHS vaccination app is acceptable, but for a paper copy, I'm not sure if it's the same thing I've to print, or the letter I can download from the NHS website? I'm about to order some FFP2 masks, which seem to be largely marked NR (non-re-usable) - if that is so, I imagine I should be taking a box of 20 to cover the week, or is it widely accepted that they can be re-used to a degree? And friends just back from Italy said it was a faff taking helmet off, mask on, helmet on again, so I'm interested in the (jeans) buttons someone reported using to allow helmet to stay on, but did anyone else find any other ways to avoid the faff?

Was in Obergurgl two weeks ago.
When you check in to your hotel they’ll take a record of all your covid details & issue you a Gurgl numbered ribbon to wear on your wrist. It stays on all week as a visual reminder to those you are coming into contact with that you are doubly vaccinated. Resort staff also have them.
You need your covid cert info to activate your lift pass so theoretically everyone on the mountain has to be at least doubly vaccinated, which is reassuring. Most mountain restaurants took that as read but a couple, including the Nederhutte scanned covid apps for entry.
Mask wearing was as close to 100% as makes no difference. I brought 20 masks and wore about 4, plus another 3 that went straight into the bin as the elastic broke as I was stretching them into shape.
No requirement to wear them when actually skiing but definitely when queuing for and when on lifts. A couple of times we saw lift access being stopped until people about to board put their masks on. It’s FFP2 only. No exceptions. One of those lift stop events was for an English boarder wearing a medical style mask. He had an FFP2 in his pocket…. why not wear it then?? Plonker!
It was quiet enough when we were there so groups that skied together tended to board lifts together and not crowd in/on with other groups. Might not happen as resort gets busier, but seemed courteous.
As for keeping mask attached outside the helmet we had three main approaches: sew a button onto the ear cover or, depending on helmet design, a Heath Robinson solution with mini bulldog clips or I bought these which fitted nicely onto the webbing of my helmet. I spotted something similar on my backpack & prototyped using them before I splashed out the big money (£5.64 for ten!)
Similar products were on sale in resort ski shops for about €6 a pair.
10pcs Webbing Ending Clip Adjust Keeper Buckle for Molle Webbing Buckle Strap Belt Tactical Backpack Bag Camp Hike Outdoor (25mm (1 inch)) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071JRKH7R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_KMPGM050337RZVT0PRJA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21
We had a lovely meal in the See You restaurant.
We also enjoyed an hour or so in the 007 Elements exhibition at the top of Solden that is included in the six-day pass (booking recommended)
Have fun!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We arrived yesterday at Stansted flying with TUI and were refused checking in due to my partner's time between 2nd and booster being less than 120 days. We had to run to get an £80 3 hour pcr, and luckily it arrived just in time to get on the flight. One of the most stressful times in my life.

And the booster time and PCR weren't even checked in Austria! Or even by the second check in agent!

Also of note the "departure gate closing time" was way too early than reality and contributed to the stress. The actual gate closes maybe 10 minutes before departure time not the 45 minutes it was listed for us!
latest report
@hogofwar, that’s nonsense! The 120 day thing has been changed now anyway, so enjoy your holiday and then when you get home get on to TUI for your 80 quid back at the very least. They need to inform their agents better!
snow report
A nervous double / triple / umpteenth check:
2 adults travelling to Austria. Both jabbed x3.

My reading of the current regs is no PCR needed, although the UK foreign office think we DO need a PCR.

Who is right? Me or the FCDO?
latest report
@KNoceros, you. If you are flying, there's also the lottery of whether the airline have the correct rules, and also whether their agents at checkin have correctly been briefed on them, but you can usually see that during the online checkin process
snow report
@hogofwar, so glad it came through and you got on the flight!
snow report
@ousekjarr - thank you.
We’re driving (via France and Germany) so no bother with airlines thankfully.
ski holidays
@KNoceros, No need for any tests (though no idea what the French might be doing) for travelling thorough Germany to get to Austria on the basis of 3 shots. Very unlikely that anyone will check between Folkstone and your hotel in Austria. Get an app like Corona Warn or Grüner Pass as easier to use than the NHS one.
ski holidays
@KNoceros, we drove out on Friday, LFT tests for France for boosted adults plus a PCR for one child with a recovery certificate after one vaccine dose. Stopped overnight in Germany, with registration forms. Asked at tunnel whether we had taken a Covid test. Said yes, and were waved through. No inspection of the French declaration, no passes checked as they'd been loaded up on the Eurotunnel website, and no further checks until our hotel in Germany asked for QR codes.

No issues entering Austria either at Kufstein, and then checked when buying passes and not since on the mountain. Checked in a restaurant on Saturday night. Totally different experience to Flachau in January where we showed QR codes at every alm and restaurant.
snow report
Thanks all. Mind properly set at ease now.

We’re generally pretty good at finding official sources but when the UK seemed to contradict my (rusty self-translation) of the Austrian official sources, I got a bit worried!
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
@hogofwar, that’s nonsense! The 120 day thing has been changed now anyway, so enjoy your holiday and then when you get home get on to TUI for your 80 quid back at the very least. They need to inform their agents better!

I know from your past posts you are probably correct, but is there a good source I can quote for this? Unfortunately as far as I can see the crystal ski entry requirements pdf mention the 120 day thing still (though I know that isn't exactly an authoritive source). The same for the UK gov travel advice. I read some Austrian websites but it wasn't too clear for me.
latest report
@hogofwar, the issue is much the same as the German arrivals form, it is not needed if you are transiting to Austria but if you dont have it the airlines wont let you board. No one in Austria cares about the 120 days, it comes from some internal Austrian health bureaucracy but the airlines interpret the rules in their own way. If you flew into Munich for a road transfer onwards no one would care less!
latest report
hogofwar wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

I know from your past posts you are probably correct, but is there a good source I can quote for this? Unfortunately as far as I can see the crystal ski entry requirements pdf mention the 120 day thing still (though I know that isn't exactly an authoritive source). The same for the UK gov travel advice. I read some Austrian websites but it wasn't too clear for me.

I posted about it myself here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153006&start=7400#4917903 so the rule change was a couple of weeks ago and should not have affected you at all now, but that was from the press. It will be in the regs somewhere. I’ll try and find it.

Crystal have been routinely out of date with their info, and UK gov have also been unreliable. I wouldn’t trust either.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy