Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Im sure that there is some kind of Austrian Law that says they have to return your money.

When I take any new bookings now, I insist on seeing they have valid travel Insurance especially covering cancellation due to Covid related incidence, whether their Govt, or the Austrian Govt refusing entry etc
Others more knowledgeable may come back and highlight the relevant rules re return of monies.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I emailed them directly as soon as i had picked myself up from the disappointment of the test result enclosing a copy of my test. But due to the short notice....24hrs before arrival (test rules) they simply said that it was 90% cancellation fee. we then had to pay the balance of the apartment after which they would issue a cancellation note for us to claim on our travel insurance.

It would be too late for them to re-lease the apartment. fair enough.

looking back at the tourism board website (kitzbuler alpin) it notes in the small print that users are required to purchase additional covid-19 insurance to get a refund if unable to travel. We are fortunate that we have annual policy's which cover us but others might take all the bluff / flash on the webpage as reassurance that its all in hand with the tourism board without checking the small print.

I only hope that Austria drops down to an LFT test soon so we can visit. We purposely booked the areas we did because its where we were when it all locked down in March 2020 and we know how badly local traders have been hit so we were bringing our tourist euros deliberately back.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.wko.at/branchen/tourismus-freizeitwirtschaft/hotellerie/AGBH_englisch.pdf

This is the current National contract for all accommodation in Austria, unless you have agreed a separate contract which overrules this. With cancellation at less than a weeks notice, guests are liable for 90% of the fee.

Any Covid guarantee offered by providers or the local government trumps this, but the details of this vary - some will refund only if the resort is closed down, others if you personally cannot make use of your booked accommodation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@enduroaid, Sorry to hear your tale of woe, but in defence of Austrian Hosts, we are almost all offering full refunds for any Government imposed cancellation due to changes in COVID Restrictions. Exactly as we have done since 14 Mar 2020. What we are not offering is refunds for those who choose to cancel because they can't be arsed to jump through hoops, or sadly, those who contract COVID. Almost all good travel policies cover you for that these days, so it is only fair that your host is not out of pocket too. I suspect you'd have got the same answer if one of your party cancelled due to any other type of illness. Glad to see that you will get most of it back though.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 13-01-22 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just thinking half-term. We land in Salzburg 1600 ish Saturday, so need to take PCR after 1600 Thursday (?). That means we cant drop off test samples until Friday (collections seem to close about 1630), but that only guarantees results by (not completely guaranteed..) by 2359 Saturday, so we won't be allowed entry. What have others done?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get a 1 to 3 hour drive through test. Most airports do these but you may want, as I am planning to, to go to an airport the day before (I’m going to STN though am flying from LHR the next day).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 13-01-22 16:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@enduroaid, Sorry to hear your tale of woe, but in defence of Austrian Hosts, we are almost all offering full refunds for any Government imposed cancellation due to changes in COVID Restrictions. Exactly as we have done since 14 Mar 2020. What we are not offering is refunds for those who choose to cancel because they can't be arsed to jump through hoops, or sadly, those who contract COVID. Almost all good travel policies cover you for that these days, so it is only fair that your host is not out of pocket too. I suspect you'd have got the same answer if one of your party cancelled due to any other type of illness. Glad to see that you will get most of it back though.

I cancelled a hotel in Obergurgl in December which I could have got to a day late via Munich rather than Innsbruck (as Austrian authorities couldn't count 20 days but locked down instead for 21), at about 10 days notice; they didn't want payment - I thought they might have. I was booking and cancelling with them all last season... going to them in April I hope so I've moved the deposit.

Does the government compensate at all or is it all down to the hotel? I will try to support hotels that are good to me.

(Should also mention that a hotel in Ischgl that gave me one night's refund in March when I had to leave early - it must have been awful for them, but I cannot fault Austrian hotels over the last couple of years)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 13-01-22 16:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dedders, Flying from Birmingham early morning, going to East Midlands Airport the afternoon before where both Randox and Collinson do 3-4 hour rapid PCR. Flying to Munich, so as a last resort (say an inconclusive result) get a rapid PCR at Munich airport before going on to Austria.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry all, know the answer is up there somewhere but finding it and knowing I'm looking at the most up to date position is now scaring me at the last moment. Travelling Saturday, triple jabbed, PCR done, waiting on results. My reading of the rules is that we do not have to complete a pre-travel clearance form. Correct?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevios wrote:
Sorry all, know the answer is up there somewhere but finding it and knowing I'm looking at the most up to date position is now scaring me at the last moment. Travelling Saturday, triple jabbed, PCR done, waiting on results. My reading of the rules is that we do not have to complete a pre-travel clearance form. Correct?

Correct!

Fingers crossed you have no test issues and a great holiday Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cacciatore wrote:
stevios wrote:

Correct!

Fingers crossed you have no test issues and a great holiday Smile

Thanks so much. Been feeling on top of what is and isn't needed for weeks now but the at the last moment the doubt sets in.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Cacciatore, can you point me in the direction where it says no pre travel clearance is required?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BertieG, Austrian Govt website. only needed if there is no vax or proof of a neg PCR - go to the source data

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html

"Registration for pre-travel clearance OR proof of vaccination via an additional dose ("booster") and molecular biology test (e.g. PCR test, not older than 48 hours)."

we are a virus variant country listed in appendix 1
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dedders wrote:
Just thinking half-term. We land in Salzburg 1600 ish Saturday, so need to take PCR after 1600 Thursday (?). That means we cant drop off test samples until Friday (collections seem to close about 1630), but that only guarantees results by (not completely guaranteed..) by 2359 Saturday, so we won't be allowed entry. What have others done?

I have the same issue so am holding off booking any PCR test until after 31st Jan in the hope Austria follow others and drop the requirement. If not then I think I’ll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the 3 hour test. The drop box at Manchester airport we usually use is picked up at 5.30, but if the plane is delayed by more than 2 hours (which it easily could be) then we’d be stuffed. There’s a chance it would all work but at this stage I’d rather just pay a bit more. And then hope like hell for a negative test!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anyone know the liklihood of having our PCR checked on crossing the border by road (from Zurich) Switzerland into to Austria ? Looks like you can enter CH with a lateral flow taken within 24 hours. Fully intending on taking the PCR but worried it might still come back positive if one of us gets covid then recovers in the next 5 weeks ! If no one is likely to check it at the border, I can worry a bit less ! Of course if one of us actually has covid at the time we wont be going anywhere.
ski holidays
Update on Radar minor coming to Austria, she came out of quarantine on 22 December did her 48 HR PCR test yesterday 12 Jan, result this morning negative Toofy Grin .

Thank you to all who have helped .

As an aside I have noticed in the last two days a tightening on the request to show you QR code in restaurants and bars , one bar on Monday no request (seated outside) today had to produce the QR Code, last night Mrs Radar had no phone and they were going to turn us way from the restaurant, fortunately I had saved a copy of her NHS form in the cloud and was able to use that .
snow conditions
Travelled to Austria this morning from LHR via Munich. Transfer from Munich to resort - no-one at German/Austria border, no-one asked for PCR. Hotel checked triple vaccination. They were very welcoming
snow conditions
@radar, that was probably due to a number of reports in the press about the potential for an increase in the number of controls.
ski holidays
@melandnick, the anecdotal evidence seems to point to very few, if any, checks being made on drivers entering Austria. To qualify, most of the info I’ve seen/heard has related to drivers (Dutch, British etc) entering via Germany, but I’d be surprised if entering from Switzerland is much different.
snow report
@melandnick, the chances are very small. I cant remember ever seeing any checks on the Austrian side at either Lustenau or Hohenems, there is a customs office but that is for freight only (Switzerland is not in the customs union). You do occasionally get stopped going into Switzerland to either check if you have a valid Vignette or if you look as if you might have been on a shopping trip (supermarkets much more expensive in Switzerland) other than that exceedingly rare for anyone who looks like a tourist. If it is 5 weeks time the requirement will have hopefully been dropped anyway.
snow report
We had our walk in PCR test done today at 4 pm in the Edinburgh randox centre. We went for the 12hour service.

The results came back at 5pm and we are both clear to go.

Bad Hofgastien here we come. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I tested negative on pcr last Sunday that’s about 26 days after testing positive on 13/12... just to reassure anyone else.

I think it varies massively person to person, I also know of someone who’s testing negative on pcr only 10 days after getting the virus. I would recommend anyone looking to fly gets an “early” pcr perhaps a week before your flight just do you know where you stand
snow conditions
JimboS wrote:
We had our walk in PCR test done today at 4 pm in the Edinburgh randox centre. We went for the 12hour service.

Have a great trip Smile
latest report
@another planet, Transfer by road or rail?
snow conditions
[quote="buchanan101"]
@enduroaid, Does the government compensate at all or is it all down to the hotel? I will try to support hotels that are good to me.

The simple answer is yes the Austrian government does provide a furlough scheme for commercial businesses but nothing at all for private landlords. So, despite losing the latter half of the 19-20 season and the entire 20-21 season, we did not receive a single penny of Austrian compensation. As a result we're pretty hard over this year on cancellations as I alluded to in my earlier post. The situation is compounded by a shortage of labour this year, which means that for things like changeover cleaning, laundry, transport etc, all our costs have gone up. I sympathise with those who may lose a ski holiday, but many hosts are in danger of losing their livelihoods.
snow conditions
[quote="RedandWhiteFlachau"]
buchanan101 wrote:
@enduroaid, Does the government compensate at all or is it all down to the hotel? I will try to support hotels that are good to me.

The simple answer is yes the Austrian government does provide a furlough scheme for commercial businesses but nothing at all for private landlords. So, despite losing the latter half of the 19-20 season and the entire 20-21 season, we did not receive a single penny of Austrian compensation. As a result we're pretty hard over this year on cancellations as I alluded to in my earlier post. The situation is compounded by a shortage of labour this year, which means that for things like changeover cleaning, laundry, transport etc, all our costs have gone up. I sympathise with those who may lose a ski holiday, but many hosts are in danger of losing their livelihoods.

we had to cancel last year with a place in See. didn't feel right as i run my own business. booked for same place this year. so hopefully we will get there.
that said if we dont we still have to pay them now. which will be a pain but would be the right thing to do.. and no i'm far from one of you rich snowheads.
snow conditions
@ousekjarr thank you for that - we couldn’t find info about what vaccinations the Austrian teenagers would have had, so it’s really useful. I take your point about establishments doing what they find simplest (particularly as presumably there won’t have been many school kids from the UK until we go in halfterm) but we’ll make sure we’ve got printouts etc and build in time to discuss/negotiate/explain!
ski holidays
For anyone using randox drop box service be careful with how late you leave it. We used the Weatherby drop box as the website stated 5.30 pick up, therefore giving plenty of contingency for our 8.30 Saturday flight. I arrived at 4.45pm and did the test in the car park, as I was completing the online form I clocked a guy just before 5pm opening up the drop box to collect the samples. Thankfully I was able to get our samples added to his collection. On the plus side I got confirmation its at the lab at 10.20pm, just crossing my fingers its negative as i've had a stinking cold all week (the flow tests have come back negative).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alan_utchi wrote:
For anyone using randox drop box service be careful with how late you leave it. We used the Weatherby drop box as the website stated 5.30 pick up, therefore giving plenty of contingency for our 8.30 Saturday flight. I arrived at 4.45pm and did the test in the car park, as I was completing the online form I clocked a guy just before 5pm opening up the drop box to collect the samples. Thankfully I was able to get our samples added to his collection. On the plus side I got confirmation its at the lab at 10.20pm, just crossing my fingers its negative as i've had a stinking cold all week (the flow tests have come back negative).

Thanks for that, dropping mine there today ... will make sure its 4pm in that case!
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:

wow so a 1 hr turnaround? I've just booked the 3hr service at same location to be on the safe side
snow report
Think they have masses of capacity right now as there is no mandatory PCR testing for travel to/from the UK I had my Randox drop box collected at 5pm - processed at 1am and results at 8AM. I've never had it that fast before
latest report
Adam9 wrote:
Think they have masses of capacity right now as there is no mandatory PCR testing for travel to/from the UK I had my Randox drop box collected at 5pm - processed at 1am and results at 8AM. I've never had it that fast before

Been checking Collinson slots at drive through at Stansted - virtually nothing booked (12 slots available every 15 minutes so it's probably quite a big operation)

Hope number 1 - won't need to have test on 20th Feb
Hope number 2 - if we do need the test, hope the test station is still there
ski holidays
Germany is apparently designating Austria as a high risk area once more https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/116464/deutschland-stuft-osterreich-wieder-als-hochrisikogebiet-ein . In theory this means anyone entering Germany from Austria will need to fill in an arrivals form (though there are exceptions like transit & border commuters) and quarantine unless fully vaccinated (it applies from 5 years up so messes up the holiday plans of a lot of German families). In practice there are unlikely to be any checks but maybe there is a small increase in the possibility of a few spot checks say at Kiefersfelden on the way into Bavaria.
latest report
Upfront apologies for asking something that's probably buried in the last 30 pages or so (I HAVE tried to look) - but want to confirm my understanding.

Planning to be in Mayrhofen at Feb H/T - arriving via Munich. It's me and Mrs Schnitzel plus the kids (14yo and double jabbed / 11yo). Working on the understanding the 14yo needs a PCR, but do under 12s need a PCR pre-departure test based on current situation? I had assumed they do but now reading it perhaps not...! My info from here: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Next question - if double jabbed, does that mean Ninja Pass not required for the 14yo? I'm daring to believe this all might actually happen (so long as no infections from school before then!). As for proving the 14yo's vaccination, is the letter from the NHS the only route? I understand the NHS app (and the lovely QR codes you can get) is not available.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
Germany is apparently designating Austria as a high risk area once more https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/116464/deutschland-stuft-osterreich-wieder-als-hochrisikogebiet-ein . In theory this means anyone entering Germany from Austria will need to fill in an arrivals form (though there are exceptions like transit & border commuters) and quarantine unless fully vaccinated (it applies from 5 years up so messes up the holiday plans of a lot of German families). In practice there are unlikely to be any checks but maybe there is a small increase in the possibility of a few spot checks say at Kiefersfelden on the way into Bavaria.

If you look at deaths per capita rather than cases it would seem Germany has as much Covid as the UK and Austria. I can't imagine that Germany is any worse with its treatment of Covid patients...but if you test less, then you think other countries have more Covid.
ski holidays
This nonsense with the travel rules has to stop. Fine for countries to demand travellers from anywhere bring a current test result and/or are vaccinated, but right now, quarantine and banning entire countries and changing the rules on a weekly basis doesn't achieve anything. Other than messing up people's plans and killing the travel industry.
latest report
On the other hand, if this means Austria is now losing German tourists once more, maybe they will ease the restrictions for people from the Netherlands and the UK Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
This nonsense with the travel rules has to stop. Fine for countries to demand travellers from anywhere bring a current test result and/or are vaccinated, but right now, quarantine and banning entire countries and changing the rules on a weekly basis doesn't achieve anything. Other than messing up people's plans and killing the travel industry.

A month or two ago I would have disagreed, but now it's getting absurd - Germany is as infected as Austria yet designates it as a high risk area. When there is so much spread within countries, cross border travel makes very little difference.

Germany isn't actually banning Austria though, and is doing mostly what you suggest
ski holidays
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
On the other hand, if this means Austria is now losing German tourists once more, maybe they will ease the restrictions for people from the Netherlands and the UK Toofy Grin

The first country that acts sensibly (i.e. realises that travel restrictions won't do anything to stop a virus that's everywhere already) will get my goodwill and holiday business for many years to come.

Well, as long as they have good ski resorts of course snowHead
latest report
We both just got -ve results back from the Collinson Rapid PCR test at Manchester Airport. Happy days, Obergurgl is on again for tomorrow!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy