Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
kb36 wrote:
Does Austria accept the Randox PCR test, that seems my best option from Edinburgh

Is the Randox PCR any different from any other? If not, then yes!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jpberks, where were you originally flying to? No idea re the Vienna connection but if desperate, Stuttgart to St Anton is a doable drive.

Zurich to Lech was an easy and comfortable transfer on the Arlberg Express shuttle and assuming they go to St Anton too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cacciatore wrote:
kb36 wrote:
Does Austria accept the Randox PCR test, that seems my best option from Edinburgh

Is the Randox PCR any different from any other? If not, then yes!

I have no idea if it's different or not, just want to make sure I get it right
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I've got mine booked there on Thursday for a flight to Austria on Saturday and have no reason to believe it is not accepted.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jpberks wrote:
I was due to head to St Anton next week for a long weekend, flights have now been cancelled and there are no direct alternatives so I was about to switch to Andorra but have found out its too close to the date and I can only get a partial refund on my hotel.

Have now seen that we can fly into Innsbruck via Vienna with a 40 minute layover which seems ok, wondering if anyone has any experience doing that and whether it works out ok? Alternative looks to be to fly into Zurich but the transfers look outrageous.

Separately, are people having good experiences and pleasant holidays generally? Are you able to get a couple of beers and something to eat easily without prebooking etc. I know that apres-ski is closed but presumably you can still sit somewhere and have some drinks at the end of the day.

Lunchs and 'light' apres not a problem - had fun in mooservit and KK till 8pm - music low - but fun to be had (and Covid lol)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JimboS wrote:
Well I've got mine booked there on Thursday for a flight to Austria on Saturday and have no reason to believe it is not accepted.

Brave man, gonna be cutting it fine for 48 hour rule
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Test at 4pm on Thursday, flight due to arrive at ~9am on Saturday. If we are not there by 4pm then something has gone badly wrong.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jpberks wrote:
I was due to head to St Anton next week for a long weekend, flights have now been cancelled and there are no direct alternatives so I was about to switch to Andorra but have found out its too close to the date and I can only get a partial refund on my hotel.

Have now seen that we can fly into Innsbruck via Vienna with a 40 minute layover which seems ok, wondering if anyone has any experience doing that and whether it works out ok? Alternative looks to be to fly into Zurich but the transfers look outrageous.

A 40 minute transfer time is cutting it fine, you will have to clear the Schengen border and hope the initial flight is not delayed. Zürich to St Anton is very easy direct train from Zürich Hbf every two hours. Station in St Anton is in the middle of the village, always plenty of taxis if you are staying a bit further out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that - I was only looking at the coach which doesn't line up nicely to the flight time. Train looks like the way to go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jpberks, I am flying to Zurich this Saturday. Then a 55€ train to Sankt Anton, as mentioned above.
My 3rd consecutive year, much better than getting to Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kb36, I certainly hope so as I have one booked in Glasgow with Randox on Friday! Not a huge range of options in Scotland it seems. Switzerland were quite happy with the Randox PCR I did there before Christmas.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sah wrote:
Re. the 10pm curfew. Does this also apply to communal areas in a hotel or B&B? We're staying at a B&B in a few weeks which has a nice lounge area, it's not really a bar but they serve drinks there early evening. If people in the same party were to sit there after 10pm with, say a bottle of duty free, would that be breaking the rules even if the doors were locked and only residents could get in? I'm guessing it would.

Apparently it’s public places
So you can do as you please in your own rooms or balconies
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kb36 wrote:
JimboS wrote:

Brave man, gonna be cutting it fine for 48 hour rule

@kb36, when's yours booked - Friday? That would concern me the other way...

I had good service out of Eurofins drive-through in Livingston at Christmas, the testing lab is right there after the sample is taken, so one less link in the chain to go wrong, potentially.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am not booked yet but if I fly it will be on 22nd, quite happy to pay a little extra for the 1 to 3 hour test
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tried to book the 1-3 hour test in Glasgow on Friday afternoon, then spend the night at the airport hotel for a 6AM flight.

I just booked the holiday today and when I looked at the randox site there were no test slots left on Friday hence no choice but to move to Thursday. Neither Edinburgh nor Glasgow are very convenient for us coming from Brought Ferry.

So don't try to book your test last minute.
ski holidays
kb36 wrote:
I am not booked yet but if I fly it will be on 22nd, quite happy to pay a little extra for the 1 to 3 hour test

Had a look and Randox already have quite a few Edinburgh slots fully booked on the 21st, I noticed this at Christmas, they seem to be first to fill up, either most convenient location or better advertising!
snow report
Where are you going @JimboS?
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
Test at 4pm on Thursday, flight due to arrive at ~9am on Saturday. If we are not there by 4pm then something has gone badly wrong.

In a similar boat to this. 7(really 8 ) hours leeway for delays seems fairly safe and also gives a bit more time in UK if any issues with first test results such as delay or inconclusive - what I’m telling myself anyway!

Does anyone know if the 48hrs is from test to arrival time though (i.e. plane pulling into Gate) or from test to the time it is actually checked by security, which could be an hour or more later?
snow report
Hi @russ_e, we are going left field this time, having been to all the bigger resorts countless times, we have friends who have been to Bad Hofgastien a couple of times and recommended it so we will join then there on Saturday. Feb it's Cervinia (changed from Schladming due to booster status of one of the crew) and March/April, the Hof of course.
ski holidays
Quote:

Does anyone know if the 48hrs is from test to arrival time though (i.e. plane pulling into Gate) or from test to the time it is actually checked by security, which could be an hour or more later?

When we flew out with Jet2, the pre-departure checks by Jet2 were based on scheduled arrival time, though I'd expect the Austrian checks would be based on when they check. When we flew into Innsbruck, there were 8 immigration officers on duty, and it took maybe 1 or 2 minutes for each to check a passenger, so I reckon the 2/3rds full flight would have been cleared in 20 minutes. In our case we weren't stuck behind immigration from other flights - there was an EasyJet flight that was due to land 25 mins before us, but we took 2 goes on the approach so were delayed by maybe 20 minutes
ski holidays
viv wrote:
Quote:

When we flew out with Jet2, the pre-departure checks by Jet2 were based on scheduled arrival time, though I'd expect the Austrian checks would be based on when they check. When we flew into Innsbruck, there were 8 immigration officers on duty, and it took maybe 1 or 2 minutes for each to check a passenger, so I reckon the 2/3rds full flight would have been cleared in 20 minutes. In our case we weren't stuck behind immigration from other flights - there was an EasyJet flight that was due to land 25 mins before us, but we took 2 goes on the approach so were delayed by maybe 20 minutes

Thanks, that is really useful to know - had visions of it taking hours for checks to place.
latest report
facedown wrote:
Arrived at Innsbruck Saturday. Passport proof of recovery and into Austria
Resort level all bars asking for covid pass and ID curfew at 10pm strictly enforced
Lots of snow yesterday and looking good going forward

@facedown, Am I reading this right that they accepted proof of recovery in place of the PCR test or was it just in place of vaccination and you still had a PCR?
snow report
Guys, there's no need to fill in the pre-travel clearance form is there? I understand this is only for people who need to quarantine to provide address, contact details etc.

https://www.jet2.com/en/flights/safe-travel/travel-requirements/austria

Jet2 says you need it. Surely this is not correct? Can someone who's been with Jet2 confirm this. I'm flying out to Innsbruck
ski holidays
@viciousvulture, if your airline think you need it, the best thing to do is to complete it otherwise they may refuse to let you board the flight. They are wrong to insist on it for all passengers, but if that's their policy then you have to comply or you won't be going anywhere.

Trying to persuade some unlucky gate staff that they are wrong and that they should ignore company policy and allow you to board is not going to work - they'll be sacked for gross misconduct, so their answer will always be no. Best case is that you miss the flight and spend 6 hours at the airport waiting for someone high enough up in the food chain to review the case and realise that they are wrong, then put you on the next flight - which might be a week later. Worst case is that you miss the flight and get no compensation because you were in breach of the airline's boarding policy.
ski holidays
The trouble is you can't actually complete the form if you're boosted + PCR. The form itself tells you to that you don't need to register because you're boosted + PCR. Just been on the phone to jet2 to ask them to change their website.
This is exactly the concern, some clueless soul is going to have to enforce it!
snow report
@viciousvulture, if you can find my post a couple or so pages back Shocked , you will see that I took a screenshot and printed it out, I ticked the booster and the PCR and a dialogue box comes up saying no form needed, it came in handy with the check in agent as he was thinking we might need it!

He checked everything and was very nice about it.
ski holidays
The form does tell you that there's no need to complete it - I would take a screen shot at this point and print it out for presentation at the desk when they ask for proof that you have completed it. If you can persuade Jet2 to correct their information, so much the better - but I wish you luck with that, as the list of travel companies who have presented incorrect information over the last 2 weeks is significant, and the number who have then corrected it remains low.
ski holidays
Radar, this is exactly my plan!

Selecting a non-virus variant country and having neither a booster nor PCR takes you to the next stages of the form which asks about where you'll be staying. It's clearly meant for quanrantiners

Separate story. I was denied boarding for Spain with Jet2 in September because I didn't have the locator form (that was a genuine mistake by me). Took the flight the day after only to find passengers were filling out that form upon arrival!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are electronic pcr test results accepted or do they have to be printed
snow conditions
Question re Covid testing - sorry.

Due to fly out to Zurich for onward journey to Lech - testing understood as PCR needed - within 72 hrs for Swiss but overruled by 48 hr requirement for Austria. Also relevant Passenger Locator Forms and proof of vaccination and booster.

On return to Zurich - is a test needed for UK citizens travelling from Austria into Switzerland needed after 10 day holiday. As I read it no, but would be happy with someone who has done similar journey to Arlberg to confirm. Aware of need to book LFT for return to UK.

Thanks.
latest report
viciousvulture wrote:
Guys, there's no need to fill in the pre-travel clearance form is there? I understand this is only for people who need to quarantine to provide address, contact details etc.

Jet2 says you need it. Surely this is not correct? Can someone who's been with Jet2 confirm this. I'm flying out to Innsbruck

If you click through to the Austrian website it says you don't need to do it. See below

Elimination of the mandatory registration for pre-travel clearance
Exempted from the mandatory registration for pre-travel clearance are among others travelers who

enter from a state or region not listed in Annex 1 and
have stayed exclusively in a state or region not listed in Annex 1 for the past ten days and
can present a vaccination certificate or recovery certificate and a valid PCR test
snow report
Stevebeckhead wrote:

Due to fly out to Zurich for onward journey to Lech - testing understood as PCR needed - within 72 hrs for Swiss but overruled by 48 hr requirement for Austria. Also relevant Passenger Locator Forms and proof of vaccination and booster.

On return to Zurich - is a test needed for UK citizens travelling from Austria into Switzerland needed after 10 day holiday. As I read it no, but would be happy with someone who has done similar journey to Arlberg to confirm. Aware of need to book LFT for return to UK.

Thanks.

Having posted the above, I have taken the time to do a bit more research - filled in Swiss Travel Check Tool on website:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/coronavirus.html

and it would appear not - possibly saved by being in Austria for 10 days!
snow report
bamberd wrote:
viciousvulture wrote:

If you click through to the Austrian website it says you don't need to do it. See below

Exempted from the mandatory registration for pre-travel clearance are among others travelers who

have stayed exclusively in a state or region not listed in Annex 1 for the past ten days and
can present a vaccination certificate or recovery certificate and a valid PCR test

UK is on Annex 1 tho isn't it
ski holidays
kb36 wrote:
Are electronic pcr test results accepted or do they have to be printed

Screenshot or showing the email on your phone is fine IME
ski holidays
kb36 wrote:
bamberd wrote:
viciousvulture wrote:

UK is on Annex 1 tho isn't it

You don't need to but some airlines/airports can be funny. It can be worth starting the form then taking a screenshot at the point where it won't let you go further, just to reassure them (they rely on what their computer systems tell them, which may or may not be 100% up to date). Not ideal but realistically it takes less than 60 seconds and saves you some stress.
latest report
Stevebeckhead wrote:

Thanks.

You should probably ask that in the Switzerland thread, but if you've been in AT for 10 days then it's most likely (most countries go on 10 days but some 14) that whatever rules the Swiss apply to people travelling from Austria. Your UK citizenship should not be factor, unless the Swiss base their entry requirements on previous 14 rather than 10 days.
snow report
@Stevebeckhead, I'd be interested in your findings about return leg as we are now considering similar although flying to Geneva (long journey onto Austria!) in case France doesn't open by 22/1. 48 hour PCR needed but what about way back? Also are there checks on border between Switzerland and Austria?
ski holidays
@Stevebeckhead, @riman8, the chances of anyone checking vaccination certificates between Switzerland & Austria is low (maybe a bit higher than say Austria & Germany as there are customs checks but they dont usually check non Swiss private cars - checking Swiss residents in case of buying too much in Austrian/German supermarkets where prices are much lower, never seen anyone checking documents on the train). If you are fully vaccinated there should not be an issue going either way though probably better to go with the 48 hour PCR thing just in case. The Austrian certificate checking seems focused on air arrivals, lots of cases on the thread above of Dutch & Danes being in Austria blithely unaware about the test thing.
ski holidays
Apologies for repeating what's probably been asked many times before but this topic is now 173 pages long and it's difficult to find the info via a search.

I am fully vaccinated and boosted. Have my PCR booked. I believe that's now all I need to do and that I do not need to complete ( and will not be able to anyway) pre travel clearance form and will not need to Quarantine on arrival.

Have I got all of this correct?
snow conditions
kb36 wrote:
Apologies for repeating what's probably been asked many times before but this topic is now 173 pages long and it's difficult to find the info via a search.

I am fully vaccinated and boosted. Have my PCR booked. I believe that's now all I need to do and that I do not need to complete ( and will not be able to anyway) pre travel clearance form and will not need to Quarantine on arrival.

Have I got all of this correct?

Yes. Just make sure PCR test is within 48hours of landing time, so allow for delays, and there are reports that Austrian immigration don't allow for the time difference but go by the clock (so it's 47 hours in effect)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy