Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Cacciatore wrote:
................ We also provided evening meals which often went on well past 10pm. .........

explains a few things .... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah wrote:
@Cacciatore, yeah, we'll check on arrival. It's a big B&B - it's really a Hotel Garni, I'd guess 40 beds or so. I'm expecting the distancing rules etc to be enforced there for sure.

Ah, ok - hope it all works out. If the hosts are serving drinks to wherever guests are sitting, then I’m sure you’ll be ok. Whether they’re happy for you to bring your own drinks in is another matter…
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sah wrote:
@Cacciatore, yeah, we'll check on arrival. It's a big B&B - it's really a Hotel Garni, I'd guess 40 beds or so. I'm expecting the distancing rules etc to be enforced there for sure.

Is a hotel Garni a type of hotel? I thought it was the name of some hotels...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buchanan101 wrote:
sah wrote:

Is a hotel Garni a type of hotel? I thought it was the name of some hotels...

In Austria, typically a large B&B….like a hotel but without a bar (probably) and unlikely to have more than snacks available in the evening.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Redial That is really helpful to know. We were going to risk it on the next day Randox tests, but have now decided just to swallow the extra cost and go for a 3 hour test after hearing that!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
liloth wrote:
@Redial That is really helpful to know. We were going to risk it on the next day Randox tests, but have now decided just to swallow the extra cost and go for a 3 hour test after hearing that!

That's the conclusion I have come to as well trying to work out the logistics. Here near Cambridge there are sites that do tests at about £120 but don't guarantee until midnight same day (or even 2am next). Don't fancy the drop box version - timings tight, and they only "aim" to get results to you by a certain time. So am looking at driving to Stansted for £80 1-3 hour tests, even though flying the next day from LHR.

If anyone knows of discount codes for Stansted (or other 1-3 hour sites), that'd be very useful
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure who the supplier is at Stansted. All the BA discount codes are here

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/covid19-tests
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buchanan101 wrote:

That's the conclusion I have come to as well trying to work out the logistics. Here near Cambridge there are sites that do tests at about £120 but don't guarantee until midnight same day (or even 2am next). Don't fancy the drop box version - timings tight, and they only "aim" to get results to you by a certain time. So am looking at driving to Stansted for £80 1-3 hour tests, even though flying the next day from LHR.

If anyone knows of discount codes for Stansted (or other 1-3 hour sites), that'd be very useful

If the supplier at Stanstead is Randox (which I think it is) they have their list of discount codes here depending on which airline you're flying with: https://www.randoxhealth.com/coupons
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just bit the bullet and booked for Scheffau with Crystal departing Manchester on Saturday 0700.

* Have booked 3x 3hr drive through PCR tests for me, MrsFE and 14 year old son (single vaxxed) at 1800 on Friday. No PCR test required for 10 year old daughter.
* Have downloaded Holiday-Ninja-Pass for son ready to put details of negative tests
* Have registered son for Tirol gargle-testing service (my.novatium.at) - this will enable him to pick up, complete and drop off PCR tests at the local Spar and revalidate his ski pass every other day
* Do NOT believe any of us need to complete pre-travel clearance forms (as per advice at https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations)
* Have checked validity of my and MrsFE's QR codes for entry into Austria on Corona-Warn app
* Have printed and laminated copies of son and daughter's passports to go in their ski pass pockets

I think that's enough and that it will enable us all to enjoy our holiday fully! Any comments/questions welcome Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heading to Solden at the end of Feb and whilst rules may change between now and then I was wondering what the latest restrictions were in terms of bars and restaurants? I read that all bars are shut, is this correct?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scomiller wrote:
Heading to Solden at the end of Feb and whilst rules may change between now and then I was wondering what the latest restrictions were in terms of bars and restaurants? I read that all bars are shut, is this correct?

Bars and restaurants are open (where it is viable for business reasons), but with table service and 2G checks. I definitely heard “Sweet Caroline” and something else just as awful blaring out for two bars in Galtür resort yesterday, although that village was totally dead Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@scomiller, bars and restaurants currently close at 10.00pm.

You will need to conform to current Austrian 2G rules for accessing bars and restaurants. That’s to say, at least doubled vaccinated or recovered. You will be asked for proof (app or hard copy). Masks required when entering or getting up to leave/visit loos etc.

There is a review of rules etc due on the 31st Jan, so things could change!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
liloth wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

If the supplier at Stanstead is Randox (which I think it is) they have their list of discount codes here depending on which airline you're flying with: https://www.randoxhealth.com/coupons

Thanks - yes one supplier is Randox (basic £80 now), or Collinson (£82.50 though they say £66 if you provide a discount code STNTEST). Randox discount you can't tell until after you enter all details...

Randox not bookable beyond end Jan, Collinson can book any time. Collinson tests can be cancelled (assume Randox too). Probably book soon then...!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 10-01-22 12:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to hear (except for Sweet Caroline)!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good to hear (except for Sweet Caroline)!
snow report
Is that the chorus…? Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
liloth wrote:

Additional context here: Our results were due by midnight on New Years Eve. Whether volume of tests, time off for the holidays, staff shortages etc. had anything to do with it I have no idea.
snow conditions
facedown wrote:
Arrived at Innsbruck Saturday. Passport proof of recovery and into Austria
Resort level all bars asking for covid pass and ID curfew at 10pm strictly enforced
Lots of snow yesterday and looking good going forward

Just checking, this was proof of recovery instead of a pcr?
snow conditions
Nothing wrong with Sweet Caroline! Very Happy

@FastEddie, it’s none of my business but how are you going skiing with kids during term time? That’s genius.
snow report
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:

@FastEddie, it’s none of my business but how are you going skiing with kids during term time? That’s genius.

Well, they're both exceeding their targets academically, so we just tell the school that they're going skiing and that they're happy to do any work that's required while they're away. And if we get fined, then, so what? wink
latest report
Just back from St Anton on Saturday after 6 day trip. Brilliant time, slopes busier than expected, but protocols all in pace. However, I was triple vaxxed and today tested positive on PCR - thank goodness the test to fly was scrapped or I'd be in the Innsbruck Covid prison now. Be careful Snowheads - that new variant is a wee rascal!
snow report
dg3 wrote:
Just back from St Anton on Saturday after 6 day trip. Brilliant time, slopes busier than expected, but protocols all in pace. However, I was triple vaxxed and today tested positive on PCR - thank goodness the test to fly was scrapped or I'd be in the Innsbruck Covid prison now. Be careful Snowheads - that new variant is a wee rascal!

Have you previously had Delta? Hoping as I've had it I have an extra layer... there again Starmer has had the full house (I assume he was boosted) and still caught Omicron
snow report
Flying to Munich on Thursday and taking train to Austria. Can anyone advise if there will be checks on the border please? We don't change trains so thinking it would just go straight through. Thanks in advance
snow report
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:

Hands touching hands
Reaching out
Touching me
Touching you

Doesn't sound overly Covid safe to me.
snow report
dg3 wrote:

Did you test yourself out there anyway though?
ski holidays
another planet wrote:
Flying to Munich on Thursday and taking train to Austria. Can anyone advise if there will be checks on the border please? We don't change trains so thinking it would just go straight through. Thanks in advance

I travelled by train from Fieberbrunn to Munich airport just before Christmas. There was a check for Covid vaccination status just after the German border. If it is the same going in the other direction, I cannot say as I drove back..
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
dg3 wrote:

Have you previously had Delta? Hoping as I've had it I have an extra layer... there again Starmer has had the full house (I assume he was boosted) and still caught Omicron

Got the original Delta in March 2020 after getting kicked out of St Anton - history repeating rolling eyes
snow conditions
kb36 wrote:
dg3 wrote:

Did you test yourself out there anyway though?

Yip, lateral flow was clear day before I left....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just shows you eh
latest report
So after diverting to Italy for new year, we're now looking at Austria for the Feb half term week. And just to gain my 'devil may care' snowhead credentials, might even book the components separately (first time ever) rather than a package, and save myself about 2k... probably more questions on that for another thread, but to keep us on topic here - a question...

If double vaxxed and recovered... what is it that gets checked once you are in the country (bars, restaurants, lifts) - I think it's just the vax and not the recovered part of the record, right? Could be important as one of us relying on this will go beyond 180 days recovered during the week. But I think that's only relevant for the original entry into the country?

Should point out there's no chance of them getting boosted before travel...
latest report
That’s a good question! When we showed our passes on the Covid app people looked at the QR code and commented on the 3/3 status… as in ah good, you’ve had your booster. So I got the impression they were looking for that…
snow conditions
And booking your own travel and accommodation is definitely a lot cheaper, plus you’re more flexible!
ski holidays
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
That’s a good question! When we showed our passes on the Covid app people looked at the QR code and commented on the 3/3 status… as in ah good, you’ve had your booster. So I got the impression they were looking for that…

Hmm, that's not great if so... my read is that the additional 'virus variant' rules for the U.K. are only relevant at the point of entry to Austria, and once in the country, everyone from everywhere is treated the same, ie only 2 doses needed for entry into places. Would not be good if establishments are taking it upon themselves to gold plate the rules in place (unless of course I've missed something).

Worst case would be one of our party wasn't able to ski, eat, drink for half of the week!
snow conditions
ratechaser wrote:
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:

Hmm, that's not great if so... my read is that the additional 'virus variant' rules for the U.K. are only relevant at the point of entry to Austria, and once in the country, everyone from everywhere is treated the same, ie only 2 doses needed for entry into places. Would not be good if establishments are taking it upon themselves to gold plate the rules in place (unless of course I've missed something).

Worst case would be one of our party wasn't able to ski, eat, drink for half of the week!

As it stands, in Austria, it’s 2G (double jab or recovered) for access to skiing (passes) and bars/restaurants. Naturally, many are now triple jabbed - I guess some bar/restaurant/accommodation employees are more than happy to see triple jabbed customers…. I know I am!
latest report
I was due to head to St Anton next week for a long weekend, flights have now been cancelled and there are no direct alternatives so I was about to switch to Andorra but have found out its too close to the date and I can only get a partial refund on my hotel.

Have now seen that we can fly into Innsbruck via Vienna with a 40 minute layover which seems ok, wondering if anyone has any experience doing that and whether it works out ok? Alternative looks to be to fly into Zurich but the transfers look outrageous.

Separately, are people having good experiences and pleasant holidays generally? Are you able to get a couple of beers and something to eat easily without prebooking etc. I know that apres-ski is closed but presumably you can still sit somewhere and have some drinks at the end of the day.
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
ratechaser wrote:
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:

As it stands, in Austria, it’s 2G (double jab or recovered) for access to skiing (passes) and bars/restaurants. Naturally, many are now triple jabbed - I guess some bar/restaurant/accommodation employees are more than happy to see triple jabbed customers…. I know I am!

And that's absolutely fair enough! Just as long as 2 is still acceptable... no hesitant vaxxers in our group, simply a case of age, past infection, and playing catch up now as quickly as we can!

Even so I must be a total masochist, trying to do this twice in a year like this one... still, Zell, here we come!
latest report
@ratechaser, have a great time in Zell….hope it all works out!
snow conditions
ratechaser wrote:
Worst case is actually if they can't do those things they can't go to accommodation either.
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
@ratechaser, have a great time in Zell….hope it all works out!

Cheers, been a while since i was last in Crazy Daisy, plus I miss the nail game and a good germknodel!
latest report
Does Austria accept the Randox PCR test, that seems my best option from Edinburgh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy