Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Tom Doc, others have stated that they have a record of recovery in their NHS apps. Are you not able to get this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tom Doc, see https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html particularly
Quote:
The obligation to bring a negative result of a molecular test with you or a medical certificate confirming such a test does not apply to persons who have recovered from COVID-19 and can present a medical certificate in accordance with Appendix H or Appendix I. The obligation to self-isolate, however, remains.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Scarlet, No, the NI app is still in the dark ages! I think we can get a pdf certificate from them instead, and will do that, but it'd be good to have the Austrian supplied one too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chris_n, Yeah, I'm hoping common sense will prevail. Soon!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tom Doc, Ahh ok, I didn't realise you were on a different system. If the pdf looks official enough, it should be fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom Doc, can't see requirement to test changing anytime soon, the focus is on not importing Omicron, yes it is here but so far in very small numbers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Turpin wrote:
Having a bit of a wobble over my choice of pre-departure PCR. Booked randox, gonna drop it off at a dropbox around 4pm Thursday, for an 8.30am flight Saturday. Has anyone used them for pre-departure and how long did it take to get a result? Hoping to get a result by end of day Friday based on their literature.

You mean this one:

"Delivery dates for test results are approximate. For samples returned via a standard drop box, we aim to provide next day results up to 11.59pm".

"Aim"... it's a fair bit cheaper than ones that seem to (near enough) guarantee.

And is it acceptable to Austria given that there is no verifiable test time - using a dropbox means that the test could've been much earlier?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, N. Ire being typically Irish, you can't get a recovery cert in the app if you are double vaccinated, never mind boosted!

So the guy I spoke to gave me an email address to the people who actually run the app and issue the certs, which I used but then received a reply basically saying they're closed until next Tues! A friend then told me that you can get round this by creating a new account on the NI Direct website and using it to say you have no vaccinations and then apply for a recovery cert. He was told this by someone else on the NI Direct helpline yesterday. Apparently your original account with the vaccination qr codes in the app will still work.

So I've done that, and my fingers are firmly crossed!

I'll do a PCR next week too, as there's a possibility it will be negative anyway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
weve a longstanding hotel booking for end feb early march with a free cancellation till mid feb , which is fine and happy at this stage to hold . However we would prefer to drive but if the 48 hour before departure testing is still in place through holland and germany plus entering austria will all but make it impossible to get a result returned in time to set off for ferry and then enter austria before time up. So now looking at flights direct into austria as an alternative ormunich but these are proving difficult to guarantee and the logistics of different dep and return airports is complicating matters somewhat, still at least there is hope ,reckon we might book flights as a fall back as they could be moved if a road trip becomes possible
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone been denied entry on the 120 days gap between jabs 2 and 3 rule. We only have 114 day gap. It’s either go and risk it or lose our money.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski for fun, In current circumstances 2 months is an eternity. There is a significant possibility the requirements will be completely different by then.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
weve a longstanding hotel booking for end feb early march with a free cancellation till mid feb , which is fine and happy at this stage to hold . However we would prefer to drive but if the 48 hour before departure testing is still in place through holland and germany plus entering austria will all but make it impossible to get a result returned in time to set off for ferry and then enter austria before time up. So now looking at flights direct into austria as an alternative ormunich but these are proving difficult to guarantee and the logistics of different dep and return airports is complicating matters somewhat, still at least there is hope ,reckon we might book flights as a fall back as they could be moved if a road trip becomes possible, im thinking the main difficulty will be driving across holland
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
@ski for fun, In current circumstances 2 months is an eternity. There is a significant possibility the requirements will be completely different by then.

I'm pretty sure that they will be - hoping so for my 20th Feb trip. The UK will be through its Omicron peak in January, though Austria and Germany still seem to have falling cases, (unlike UK, France, Spain etc) so who knows when their peak will be. And I don't think the Uk will be banning incoming flights from the EU.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:

agree it is an enternity, 2 months is a lot less than the 2 years sinc we last manged to go and got evicted from the country early march 2020and im sure recquirements will be different ,its just wether in favour or against though im more hopeful than I have been its just what to do to get there, cheers
snow conditions
@Dombo13, as a few have mentioned on here no one is examining the gap between vaccinations, when your QR code is scanned it just shows 3/3.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Flight to Innsbruck at 7am tomorrow, just got my (within 48 hours) pcr test from yesterday back - positive. Dammit!

Looks like I'll be staying in the UK a bit longer then...

FWIW, I had corona in Oct 2020, had a negative pcr test on 17th Dec, booster on 18th, day 2 test (on arrival) in the UK on the 18th was negative, from that evening I felt pretty wiped out for 4 days but assumed it was just a reaction to the booster - backed up by 3 negative lateral flow tests during to make sure. As I don't have symptoms now I'm now thinking that must have been 'proper' covid though which is still showing up on the pcr. Have only seen a couple of family members who had (and continue to) test negative on lateral flow, and the only other people I've been anywhere near was 10 minutes in a supermarket a few days ago.

Suppose it could be a false positive too, but will probably just hang out here until I can get a recovered certificate now! At least easyJet let me change the flight for free again (next attempt: 8th Jan)

Just got the results of my NHS pcr test from yesterday (30th dec) back - negative!

I have no idea though whether it is more likely that my positive result from 28th Dec was a false positive, or if I have now recovered sufficiently to not show positive on PCR tests.

Just hope I still test negative next week on the next pre-travel PCR to get back into Austria without quarantine Confused
snow conditions
@clarky999, seems unlikely you would get a positive result in a weeks time otherwise you could be stuck in the UK for a long time as I guess you can only get a "recovery" certificate with an NHS test?
latest report
@munich_irish, honestly I have no idea what to think any more haha!
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@clarky999, seems unlikely you would get a positive result in a weeks time otherwise you could be stuck in the UK for a long time as I guess you can only get a "recovery" certificate with an NHS test?

I am dealing with this very issue at the moment! I spoke to 119 this morning as I got a +ve result from Randox on my Day2 PCR, rather than an NHS test. They said that third party providers were obliged to pass all positive results to NHS test and trace, who would log them with your NHS App. Mine never appeared so I have been advised to contact my GP to get it added.... I'll post back if it gets sorted. I think it then appears on your Covid Pass???
latest report
Turpin wrote:
Having a bit of a wobble over my choice of pre-departure PCR. Booked randox, gonna drop it off at a dropbox around 4pm Thursday, for an 8.30am flight Saturday. Has anyone used them for pre-departure and how long did it take to get a result? Hoping to get a result by end of day Friday based on their literature.

Used the randox drop box method - dropped tests in box before 3pm on Wednesday, had a confirmation email at midnight that test had been received, results by 3pm Thursday. Very smooth process. Used the same method for day 2 tests on return, dropped tests at 2pm christmas eve, results by midday christmas day.
snow conditions
The CDC in the US have stopped recommending using PCR tests to exit isolation due to the potential for positive tests after weeks.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-12-29/cdc-director-defends-not-recommending-coronavirus-tests-in-updated-isolation-quarantine-guidance
ski holidays
Turpin wrote:

Dropped ours off at drop point at 18.00. Got email confirmation of receipt by lab at midnight. Got results at 7.00am.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 1-01-22 13:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Does anyone have the foggiest what the entry rules for an unvaccinated 14Y old (born after September 2006) are please? I’m sure they’re eligible for a Ninja Pass but there’s no need for one if they’re not allowed in …
snow report
@franga, the official rules at https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/ which includes a link to the legal document (in German) and the guidance at https://press.austria.info/winter-holidays-with-teenagers/ are the best information available currently.

My interpretation of them is as follows:

1. All visitors from the UK have to quarantine for 10 days, but can test to release from day 5 onwards with a negative PCR test
2. The only exemptions from quarantine are for those with 3 vaccine doses, or those who have two vaccine doses plus proof of recovery from Covid, plus those under 12.
3. Everyone arriving from the UK is required to provide a negative PCR test result from within the last 48 hours
4. The Holiday Ninja Pass is a way for those between 12-15 to qualify for 2G status, which allows them to use lifts, enter restaurants, etc, but it applies only once you have been permitted full entry to Austria. If you don't meet any of the exemptions from (2) above, to me that means quarantine for those from the UK, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands while they remain designated as Virus Variant areas. Hopefully that will change soon.

So in your case with an unvaccinated 14 year old, I believe the answer is that they should not travel, as they will have to quarantine.

As always, this is only my interpretation, and could be wrong - the FAQ linked from the tourist info gives testungen@sichere-gastfreundschaft.at as an email address for queries and support on the entry requirements.
snow report
So for the above, my son 14 has had one vaccine, he will be due to get second just outside the two weeks of travelling. However if he is positive for covid prior to this he won’t be able to have 2nd vaccine. Does this mean he can’t travel with 1 vaccine and one recovery certificate?
ski holidays
@Gilly28, seems that way from the details published. The exemptions are for the holy trinity - 3 vaccinations, or 2 plus recovery.

However, given the levels of Omicron in Germany which have led the RKI to downgrade the UK back to "high risk" from "virus variant area" with effect from 4th January, Austria is likely to make the same change, in which case the requirements would become the same as for anywhere else, as list on the https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations page

Quote:
Please find several scenarios below:

2x vaccinated (or 1x vaccinated with Johnson & Johnson): PCR test mandatory
3x vaccinated (or 1x vaccinated with Johnson & Johnson plus Booster): no PCR test needed
Recovered: PCR test mandatory*
Recovered, then 1x vaccinated: PCR test mandatory
Recovered, then 2x vaccinated: no PCR test needed
1x vaccinated, then recovered: PCR test necessary*
2x vaccinated (or 1x with Johnson & Johnson), then recovered: no PCR test needed
*) If you have recently recovered there is an alternative to the PCR test, please check section "What proof is accepted?"

The alternative noted is the certificate of recovery, if you can find a GP prepared to sign it. Apparently that's a randomly difficult ask.

Note for clarity that this is not the current situation for those travelling from Virus Variant areas... it is simply one possibility of what may happen over the next week or so.
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, the NHS app includes a certificate of recovery if the positive PCR test was a government one. Surely this would be enough.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, not currently, no, because you still need to produce a negative PCR because of the Virus Variant status of the UK in Austrian eyes. If we're downgraded to "high risk" and you fall into a category which requires a PCR test, then you have to produce a negative result or a certificate of recovery. I only interpret the rules for my own benefit - I don't make them, but from a risk management point of view I can understand the approach even though it means that some people will be unable to travel.

It is not currently clear to me if the NHS recovery certificate is accepted. The Austria government produced a form to have recovery certified by a GP, and they expect you to use it. If the QR code works, that's great. But it might not. I'll be working on getting the GP certificate as well, just in case.
latest report
@franga, @Gilly28, they are allowed in, from the Austrian government
https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
Quote:
Between six and fifteen years of age: Fulfilment of the testing interval of the "Ninja" passport replaces any proof of low epidemiological risk; this means that proof of two PCR tests and one antigen test in a five-day period is sufficient in itself and no further proof needs to be provided; this replaces the otherwise required 2G+ proof;
latest report
@ousekjarr@Chris_n,
Thanks both. Fingers crossed it all settles a bit more by end Jan. I was thinking if he did get it it may be a lot easier but not so. Plus I’ve just had it, you’d think the recovery pass would be sufficient, can’t believe I could still be refused entry if my pre travel PCR shows positive due to old virus. Thought that was the whole point if a recovery pass.
I shouldn’t have any problems with my GP signing, they are very good with things like that.
snow report
Just for clarification please - adults, fully vaccinated and boostered NOT had covid - therefore we do not have any pre departure (to Austria) forms to fill in?
latest report
Just a little update. I have just flown from Manchester to Salzburg. Triple vax, took a 12 to 14 hour PCR from Randox yesterday at 7am! ( had to drive from Wakefield to Manchester Jetparks in the wind and rain, then back to Pontefract for work! ) I was expecting the result by 9 pm, it came at 4:15 am today!
12:20 Ryanair from Manchester, very empty flight, arrived 30 minutes early to an even emptier Salzburg airport. Border control was very quick and easy with friendly staff. I had thought that I would be tight to catch my Postbus to Saalbach ( had an hour from scheduled landing). As it’s worked out I still have over an hour to wait and have collected bags and skis.

I know you guys with kids are having to jump through hoops. But for me the only difficult part was finding and fitting in a PCR on New Years Eve.

Here for 3 weeks now, 1st and 3rd week in the Ski Circus, week 2 in Hopfgarten for SkiWelt and Kitz. If any one is here give me a shout.
snow conditions
@Dippy, the rules don't ask for one but your airline might insist you fill one in.
ski holidays
Yorksboy wrote:
Just a little update. I have just flown from Manchester to Salzburg. Triple vax, took a 12 to 14 hour PCR from Randox yesterday at 7am! ( had to drive from Wakefield to Manchester Jetparks in the wind and rain, then back to Pontefract for work! ) I was expecting the result by 9 pm, it came at 4:15 am today!
12:20 Ryanair from Manchester, very empty flight, arrived 30 minutes early to an even emptier Salzburg airport. Border control was very quick and easy with friendly staff. I had thought that I would be tight to catch my Postbus to Saalbach ( had an hour from scheduled landing). As it’s worked out I still have over an hour to wait and have collected bags and skis.

I know you guys with kids are having to jump through hoops. But for me the only difficult part was finding and fitting in a PCR on New Years Eve.

Here for 3 weeks now, 1st and 3rd week in the Ski Circus, week 2 in Hopfgarten for SkiWelt and Kitz. If any one is here give me a shout.

If you could tell us about the snow conditions over there and any restrictions on the lifts please ..

Thanks
ski holidays
@GiveMe5ive, this is the Saalbach thread which will answer your question on conditions , FP2 masks a must. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156241&start=280
latest report
radar wrote:
@GiveMe5ive, this is the Saalbach thread which will answer your question on conditions , FP2 masks a must. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156241&start=280

Thanks
snow conditions
@Yorksboy,

That all sounds good. I hope to be drinking a beer in Westendorf this time next week!
latest report
Update on cheap PCR testing for anyone that wants the info:

3x PCR tests booked on Randox for £35 each. Email received with the required numbers for the locator form on return to U.K. Picked up same day (from a petrol station in Reading on my route to Heathrow). Left in car.

Tests done around 4pm on New Year’s Day on arrival at the car park on return. Deposited in the Randox drop-box just before 5pm at Heathrow (round the back of the Radisson Blu hotel on the perimeter road). Email confirmation of test arriving in their lab at 02:23 next day (2/1/22) and negative result at a few hours later at 10:25. So test -> result in around 18 hours.

I don’t know how often they empty their boxes but I was obviously just before the last published run of the day, which made my time pretty good. YMMV.
ski holidays
Yep we had a similar experience, posted ours in the drop box at 3pm on Boxing Day and had results by 6am the following morning. However I think we got lucky, if we still need 48 hour tests for flying out in February then we’ll probably pay for a guaranteed express test somewhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy