Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/germany-uk-travel-ban-omicron-b1984389.html

Can't see this anywhere else at the moment but potentially some good news for those flying into Germany and then going onto Austria.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good news for those planning to transit via Munich.

Haven’t read past the paywall though..

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/germany-uk-travel-ban-omicron-b1984389.html

Will look for something from German press before getting too excited.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a link in the Independent article to a press release from RKI that seems to confirm it. It's a downloadable PDF though rather than a web link.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep it’s reported in the Spiegel too:

Ab dem kommenden Dienstag will die Bundesregierung die wegen der starken Ausbreitung der Omikron-Variante verhängten Einreisebeschränkungen für Großbritannien, Südafrika, Namibia und sechs weitere afrikanische Staaten wieder lockern. Die neun Länder sollen dann vom Virusvariantengebiet zum Hochrisikogebiet zurückgestuft werden.

Nine countries being taken off the VVA list, including African countries.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Germans are changing their rules almost daily at the moment…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Posted elsewhere by @Oceanic - the rki link

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/EN-Tab.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If that’s accurate a road trip to Austria is looking hopeful Eh oh!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so if you fly to Munich and drive into Austria you dont need a PCR or is it just that you could sneak over the border if you dont get caught?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi guys. Has anyone had experience showing your covid booster if the 120-day gap hasn't been followed? My younger brother was among the last called for his 2nd dose and got the 3rd around 110 days after. Will this be a problem?

We're off to Mayrhofen soon. Their website says there are free spit-pcr tests available, does anyone know what kind of turnaround they give? Hoping to use them to return to uk. Cheers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have just got flights booked to Salzburg so we can get to Maria Alm in two weeks, and maybe don’t need them now if France changes its rules. Car parking, hotel at LHR etc and I have been measuring bags and stuffing socks in boots. We haven’t flown to ski for many years, other than USA and usually doing other stuff then so into multiple bags. I did ask OH this morning if we would cancel the flights etc if it turned out we can drive but he thought not, rather looking forward to a change.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Austrian travel website now clarifies that 2 jabs and recovered (in whatever order) counts as a booster which is helpful for some 16 and 17 year olds who cannot currently get a booster.
https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
Not helpful for any who were meant to travel earlier this week when the advice was you had to have a booster (like my twice vaccinated and recovered 16 year year old). So my cancelled holiday could have gone ahead if this had been clearly explained. Absolutely shambolic communications.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Turpin,under 24 hour turnaround if the test is deposited before 10am. I haven't seen what sort of certificate you get with them. Scanning the booster QR code with the green check app will pass I think (you can confirm by downloading app or PM me) but I couldn't comment on what would happen at the border but I suspect they will be more concerned with the PCR status.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Turpin wrote:
Hi guys. Has anyone had experience showing your covid booster if the 120-day gap hasn't been followed? My younger brother was among the last called for his 2nd dose and got the 3rd around 110 days after. Will this be a problem?

We're off to Mayrhofen soon. Their website says there are free spit-pcr tests available, does anyone know what kind of turnaround they give? Hoping to use them to return to uk. Cheers

Pretty sure the test has to be taken within two days AFTER return to the UK
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, you need a pre departure test too don't you? Could be an antigen test though from Pharmacy for €25.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Turpin wrote:

I'm interested in this too as both mine will be , as per current UK advice, boostered 3 months after jab 2. Surely no one under the age of 30 odd would be able to go if it was minimum 120 days between 2 and 3, there hasn't been enough time
snow report
Good news (if true) re German entry protocols - does anyone know whether an unvaccinated UK teen born after September 2006 can enter Austria (with a -ve PCR test) and apply for a Ninja Pass? Thanks
ski holidays
robandliza wrote:
Turpin wrote:

I'm interested in this too as both mine will be , as per current UK advice, boostered 3 months after jab 2. Surely no one under the age of 30 odd would be able to go if it was minimum 120 days between 2 and 3, there hasn't been enough time

As far as I’m aware, the Austrian authorities are only interested in seeing confirmation of the booster - nobody seems to be checking/are particularly interested in, the gap between 2nd and booster jabs.
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
@buchanan101, you need a pre departure test too don't you? Could be an antigen test though from Pharmacy for €25.

You are correct; you need both, but could be an LFT - has to be witnessed (face to face or online)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england#when-to-take-your-test

But as the Economist points out today, it's pretty pointless when Covid is in community circulation at both ends, and are usually only applicable in early stages of an outbreak.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2022/01/01/why-travel-bans-are-usually-the-wrong-way-to-curb-omicron
snow conditions
Swen wrote:
so if you fly to Munich and drive into Austria you dont need a PCR or is it just that you could sneak over the border if you dont get caught?

Your accommodation will require all the necessary documentation at check in and also to purchase ski pass
ski holidays
Re the road trip to Austria, you’ve seen the news re Brits not being allowed through the Eurotunnel? The world has gone completely mad and I’m afraid Brexit plays a big role in this too.
snow report
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Re the road trip to Austria, you’ve seen the news re Brits not being allowed through the Eurotunnel? The world has gone completely mad and I’m afraid Brexit plays a big role in this too.

Especially mad as France has as many daily cases as we do - and supposedly this is before Omicron has hit that much (though I don't believe that - France do very little sequencing, unlike the UK)

But who'd have thought - an EU country able to control its own borders. Wasn't that - and blue* passports - why we voted to leave?

(* they are black... and we could have had blue, black or green whilst in the EU)
latest report
@2waterford, the Accommodation and lift co do not need to see PCR so will not ask for it.
ski holidays
@franga, see
https://press.austria.info/winter-holidays-with-teenagers/
Basically you download the pass which is linked and is in English (despite the text saying German only), your pre departure PCR counts as your first entry on the pass.
snow conditions
Oh well, my trip to Austria on the 8th is now going to be cancelled, just tested positive. Sad

Anyone know roughly how long it generally takes for PCR to show no presence of Covid?
snow report
@buchanan101, we took our LFT in the chemist in saalbach 25 Euro, you get a pdf as well which you can use for your return to the UK form, we used Halo at T5 for our 2 day PCT test on arrival.

Will be doing the predepature test at London City and using the 3 hour one and am aiming to do it 36 hrs before travel to give a bit of leeway when we next fly out
snow conditions
@king key, me too but my trip is on the 15th, so I think I should be OK by then as long as my PCR tomorrow confirms the result, and then Austria accepts the very recent proof of recovery as a reason not to need a PCR. UK guidance advises not having a repeat PCR within 90 days of a positive test, but it looks from the literature available as if ~50% of people will test negative after about 3 weeks. That's obviously a distribution rather than a uniform spread, so some may be clear in 2-3 days, and others will still be positive 2-3 months later.

If the PCR remains a requirement, then I may have a problem even though I am likely to have recovered by then. In order to know whether the pre-departure PCR is likely to be OK, I'll probably need to arrange an additional one a day or two before. If the first comes up negative, I'd be comfortable taking the second. If not, there's a risk that the second comes up positive as well, and I have to miss the flight...
latest report
@ousekjarr, Good luck, hopefully it'll be all good by then.

I can't moan, I had a week in Dec in Italy skiing which was great and I'll rebook as soon as the test is all clear. Fortunately my travel insurance covers for positive test within 14 days of departing.

I only took the test as I had a very mild cold and thought it would be wise to check.
snow report
@ousekjarr, on The Austrian embassy site there is a link to Appendix H & I (English and German) which is a form you can ask your GP to complete (i'm expecting to be charged)when you have had covid, my daughter will using this in a couple of weeks she had covid in December

Link to forms https://www.bmeia.gv.at/fileadmin/user_upload/Vertretungen/London/Dokumente/Anlage_I_23.12.2021.pdf , https://www.bmeia.gv.at/fileadmin/user_upload/Vertretungen/London/Dokumente/Anlage_H_23.12.2021.pdf

Embassy site: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/#c1044277

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-12-21 19:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Depending on timing this might help re 'Recovered' status

From the Austrian Embassy website https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

The obligation to present a negative test result or a medical certificate of a negative test result for people does not apply, if a medical certificate according to appendix H or Appendix I can be presented, that meets the following requirements:
- proof of an infection with SARS-CoV-2 that occurred within the last 90 days and ended at the time the certificate was issued;
- the certificate was issued not earlier than 14 days after the initial detection or the onset of symptoms,
- you have not had any symptoms at least 48 hours before the certificate was issued and have a
- confirmation that, despite the presence of a POSITIVE test result for SARS-CoV-2, based on the medical laboratory findings, it can be assumed that there is no longer any risk of infection.
snow report
@radar, thanks, that's my plan - but with departure 16 days after the first positive LFT and the PCR booked for tomorrow, the timescale to produce a recovery certificate is somewhat tight.
snow report
@ousekjarr, my daughters NHS app was updated with an additional QR code when she came out of isolation, we plan to use that as the certificate of recovery with the Appendix form as the alternate for a PCR test
latest report
In case anyone doesn’t realise, you still need the PCR test to avoid quarantine if travelling from the UK at the moment, because of the VoC status. The embassy site is a bit confusing on this, but the Austrian govt one is clearer. Probably best to check you’re clear on the free ones before paying for a travel test though.
snow report
@ousekjarr, as @albob, has highlighted in the last line of the paragraph from the embassy site you need a positive PCR yes to go with the Appendix I form.

That's how I read it, happy to be corrected Smile Shocked
ski holidays
Received this in a PM

"..The obligation to bring a negative result of a molecular test with you or a medical certificate confirming such a test does not apply to persons who have recovered from COVID-19 and can present a medical certificate in accordance with Appendix H or Appendix I. The obligation to SELF-ISOLATE, however, remains.

(My BOLD)

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html.."

Seems it is more complicated than I thought !!

Hopefully, Austria may follow Germany's example and relax their regulations next week
snow report
@albob, what is @TTT ?
snow conditions
@radar, See my edit (I received a PM from a Snow head)
snow report
As usual, the guidance is both complex and contradictory. I expect that I can easily provide a positive PCR test taken within the last 90 days. Nowhere does it say that a positive PCR taken within the last 48 hours is required to support the recovery certificate. The self-isolation requirement is the default baseline, and the only release from that is either triple vax with a negative PCR, or 5 days quarantine and a negative PCR. The key part looks to be this one:

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
"The obligation to bring a negative result of a molecular test with you or a medical certificate confirming such a test does not apply to persons who have recovered from COVID-19 and can present a medical certificate in accordance with Appendix H or Appendix I. The obligation to self-isolate, however, remains."

So in essence if I am still testing positive before departure, there's no point in going even though I can be admitted to Austria, as I will immediately be put in quarantine for 5+ days. There's also then no guarantee that I would test negative on days 5-9, and the worst case is that I'm 3 weeks recovered but still in quarantine for the full 10 days.
ski holidays
@albob, a Saalbach one Very Happy
latest report
Just to confirm that the RKI has announced that all the current areas of concern will be downgraded from January 4th. See https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html it is item No.1.

Up to now those who are fully vaccinated do not need a test either pre or post arrival to avoid quarantine. I assume that this will continue but we shall see.

To those asking about tests for Austria, checks on the autobahns going into Austria are unusual (before all this unknown) but with not only the UK but also Holland on the naughty step there could be some checks especially on obvious transfer buses. I would also assume hotels will want to check arrivals keep to the rules.
snow conditions
this is getting frankly stupid, the Austria tourism board / the embassy in London and now the Austria government page are now basically saying 3 separate things with regards proof of recovery. I've emailed the embassy twice now and no reply.

I'm just hoping that they follow germany and drop relax the restrictions next week, given how much traffic crosses the border everyday it would be daft to think they could control it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy