Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Mr.Egg wrote:
you should all find an ambulance chaser to get you compensation from Crystal.

I'm curious about what compensation you think would be payable here, unless you just meant a refund?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’d be tempted to book some flights and try to find accommodation, but Boris will probably announce no travel from Boxing Day rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Poor show from Crystal. Email sent at 17:57 with phone lines scheduled to close at 18:00.

They are hiding behind "it will be hard to get a PCR at short notice" for Austrian flights on the 27th, but continue to sell holidays to Italy with flights departing 26th Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2waterford wrote:
sussexmartlet wrote:
Not sure on Austria but most countries want 14 days minimum between 2nd or booster and day of travel

Austria doesn’t unless you received J&J vaccine

Thank you
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m going on 31/1, I’m boosted and a Pcr is a pain and extra cost but if that’s what it takes to go then I’m going ahead. I just fear that we are on a knife edge and can easily see a total ban coming
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And what happens if you test positive on the return pcr, huge risk especially if omicron takes a hold in Austria the same way it has here.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My holiday is over. Three positive Lateral flows Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Mr.Egg wrote:

I'm curious about what compensation you think would be payable here, unless you just meant a refund?

Understand the point from a liability point of view but right now just getting my money back doesn’t feel like an adequate response emotionally (I’m not giving much value to the 10% off next holiday much value as most of their holidays seem discounted anyway and I’m sure you don’t get both). It’s bad enough losing these things because governments change rules but in this case we had already booked PCR’s in anticipation so we could have gone. To cancel because of some imagined difficulty for people to book tests (not remotely difficult earlier today) is pretty frustrating. Don’t have time to sort out a replacement now and it was a tight window so the opportunity is gone.
Would never normally use a tour operator but after the difficulties in getting money back from multiple suppliers on other trips decided it might be safer to have a single point of contact. Now realise it’s also a single point of complete failure.
They have done what they are required to do legally but I’ll never use them again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"most of their holidays seem discounted anyway and I’m sure you don’t get both"

Having done a test booking, it appears you do actually. If you retain any confidence in Crystal...

I have a small voice in my head telling me that Crystal planned this course of action on the back of the rumours yesterday and were too far down the path to turn back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://press.austria.info/new-entry-rules-in-austria/ Scrolll down for details ref UK etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tom H wrote:
My holiday is over. Three positive Lateral flows Crying or Very sad

@Tom H, very sorry to hear that. Speedy recovery if any symptoms.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've used Crystal for many years, and while some of the more purist experts on here may not share my view, they are very good at what they do, which is a door to door managed service, albeit at a premium, and with a focus on the mainstream ski resorts. When you have a young family in tow, it can be very stress reducing to have the basics managed for you...

And in this specific case, the fact that they are part of TUI and bound by the package travel regulations, not to mention that I can bing it all on the Amex card, gives a fair bit more protection than putting the components together yourself.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok not the Government but our hotel have just responded to our query about a single vaccinated covid recovered 17 yo-

Dear Mrs Doccam,

we did get the answer quicker than expected and it is good news - because of the vacciantion he applies as 'boostered' and just needs a pcr-test. That's all.

Does that mean, you can/will arrive as planned ?

Can’t at the moment confirm the source of the info but hotel seem sure.

Here’s hoping!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevios, as someone in the travel industry, I can’t believe that you are seeking compensation, I’ve seen our industry decimated by Covid, collegues loose their jobs, Crystal would have wanted to run the holidays as it’s income which is sorely needed, you were prepared but how many others aren’t, Crystal would have had to start planning for this a few days back and will have pushed the cancellation button as a last resort.

@ratechaser, thank you for your support.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kb36

kb36 wrote:
And what happens if you test positive on the return pcr, huge risk especially if omicron takes a hold in Austria the same way it has here.

Everyones situation is different. I have probably lower chance of catching it in Austria than if i meet anyone at home and with most people being tested and boosted, skiing outdoors, and being in an apartment its about as safe as reasonably possible (given i risk death or injury every time i ski). Also chances are if i test positive within a week, i have caught it before leaving. PCR testing positive means isolating in Austria, rather than at home, which is a slight more of a pain, but not much more - isolating is isolating. Travel insurance covers cost after much arguing.

If you absolutely can't miss any work in person, then staying at home and meeting no-one is the only option. Staying at home and meeting friends and family over christmas because you didn't ski, gives you more chance of that positive PCR test in a few days time than if you did ski in my view.

all anyone can do is understand the facts and the rules, way it up for their personal circumstances, decide the level of risk/reward they choose to take, and then live with that decision and not moan about it after.
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@stevios, as someone in the travel industry, I can’t believe that you are seeking compensation, I’ve seen our industry decimated by Covid, collegues loose their jobs, Crystal would have wanted to run the holidays as it’s income which is sorely needed, you were prepared but how many others aren’t, Crystal would have had to start planning for this a few days back and will have pushed the cancellation button as a last resort.

Not to mention that Crystal are on guaranteed occupancy contracts with some hotels. The small hotel next door to me gets paid for 15 half board rooms minimum per week regardless of how many are booked.
ski holidays
Having switched flights from Munich to Innsbruck last week on the back of the German annoucement, and then having to cancel today based on latest restrictions, Easyjet (Innsbruck) have been great and already agreed to refund based on today's announcements. But, Lufthansa are still refusing to refund Munich flights. I know they were booked as non-refundable flights, but the German Govt has effectively prohibited them from carrying us, so surely it should be treated as an involuntary cancellation? Last resort will be to move flights to 12 months time, (assuming we ever want to try and book a ski trip again...) but not very impressed with their approach on this one. Anyone else had any luck?
latest report
Just received this, apologies if it’s been covered on previous pages Very Happy

Germany travel advice

Change made:
Updated information that from 23:01 GMT on 22 December, permitted travellers from virus variant areas must have a PCR test no older than 48 hours at departure if being carried by plane, train, ferry or bus to Germany. Rapid-antigen tests or other tests no longer permitted. (‘Entry requirements’ page)

Time updated:
8:07pm, 22 December 2021
snow report
@DidierCouch,
Thanks, just minor sniffles. Thankfully I think I can get refunds vouchers.Tempted to book a week or so later but not sure I want any more of this roller coaster.
ski holidays
radar wrote:

I've used Crystal many times in the past and likely will do again, but Crystal did not "push the cancellation button as a last resort" here. All their flights were departing on the 27th which left getting PCRs on the 26th or the 24th (provided 72hrs is still the limit) as an option to passengers, and from my departure airport, and I suspect most others, that is not a problem. Getting a test on Xmas day is likely to be difficult or extremely expensive, and yet, as I mentioned above, Crystal continue to sell holidays to Italy departing on the 26th - anyone availing of that is likely to have bigger problems than Crystal's Austrian customers had?
ski holidays
TonySmith wrote:
https://press.austria.info/new-entry-rules-in-austria/ Scrolll down for details ref UK etc.

2 days out of date.
snow report
@DidierCouch, I think Italy requires an antigen test, much easier to get the result and quicker than PCR, and that’s been the case for a little while now, whereas Austria have changed the rules today, I’m also disappointed as triple jabbed and booked my click and collect PCR tests today as we have a drop box not too far away and open as normal over Christmas, but for many others I suspect this is not the case.
snow conditions
radar wrote:

Germany travel advice

Change made:
Updated information that from 23:01 GMT on 22 December, permitted travellers from virus variant areas must have a PCR test no older than 48 hours at departure if being carried by plane, train, ferry or bus to Germany. Rapid-antigen tests or other tests no longer permitted. (‘Entry requirements’ page)

Time updated:

Is the UK the only Virus Variant Area in Europe
ski holidays
Quote:

I’m not and I have said they have met their legal responsibility. But as of this afternoon after a very stressful few days Austria finally confirmed boostered and PCR tested we could have our holiday. And then Crystal cancelled it because they weren’t sure everyone would have time to get a test (which is not correct - loads of availability). I do sympathise when they get screwed by governments changing their rules (I was in the industry for many years as well) but in this case the rules went in their favour. I think I am entitled to feel pretty pissed off and in this case I don’t think your industry has done a very good job. Panic reaction. And I’m struggling to even see the financial justification because they would be liable for hotels etc in any case.
latest report
2waterford wrote:
radar wrote:

Germany travel advice

Change made:

Time updated:

Austria has classed UK, Netherlands, Denmark and Norway as virus variant areas.
snow conditions
ratechaser wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Cancelation within 14 days of departure
Absolutely no need to cancel when people can still travel.
If it was a scheduled flight, then it would still be taking off.
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
2waterford wrote:
radar wrote:

Germany travel advice

Change made:

Time updated:

Austria has classed UK, Netherlands, Denmark and Norway as virus variant areas.

Thanks Chris, sorry I meant in Germany
snow report
@2waterford, I thought you might that's why I clarified it by saying Austria wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris_n wrote:
@2waterford, I thought you might that's why I clarified it by saying Austria wink

Thank you,
snow conditions
Sorry has anything changed, the test needed for leaving Austria, can this still be a lateral flow?
ski holidays
Quote:

Cancelation within 14 days of departure
Absolutely no need to cancel when people can still travel.
If it was a scheduled flight, then it would still be taking off.

Completely agree. Panic and I’ll considered decision that even makes no financial sense. Normally feel a lot of sympathy for the travel industry but done themselves no favours here.
snow report
@sussexmartlet, leaving Austria for where? If return to UK you need a pre departure LFT. In theory you are barred from transiting Germany to get a plane though plenty seem to be doing so, so just being fully vaccinated does for that. You need a PCR to get into Austria from UK assuming x3 jabs.
snow report
Chris_n wrote:
TonySmith wrote:

2 days out of date.

Sorry, picked up the wrong link... this one
https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
snow report
I’m sorry to hear about those who have had their holidays unnecessarily cancelled by Crystal.

We’ve booked through a separate travel agent but are due to travel on the TUI charter flight on the 27th and we know that Crystal are owned by TUI. Do you think we should assume they’ve pulled the flight as well if they’ve cancelled all trips? We were just beginning to get excited.
snow report
Quote:

We’ve booked through a separate travel agent but are due to travel on the TUI charter flight on the 27th and we know that Crystal are owned by TUI. Do you think we should assume they’ve pulled the flight as well if they’ve cancelled all trips? We were just beginning to get excited.

Getting harder and harder to apply logic these days but if Tui are still flying on 27th it would make Crystal’s decision even harder to understand given the fact they are probably already on the hook for the hotel costs which presumably they committed to ages ago. Hope for you they are flying but I somehow doubt it.
Ps if you get confirmation the flights are still on please let us know. Maybe we can rebook onto the flight and contact the hotel and get our rooms back!!
ski holidays
@radar, @radar,

Agree - my experience of Crystal has been nothing but positive even though had to bail on solden trip with them on Monday. Hugely disappointed but I chose to cancel and they refunded without quibble.

Some empathy for tour operators and those poor guys on the phones is in order. They will not have made the decision lightly - they will be desperate to get people on holidays.
latest report
Quote:

Ps if you get confirmation the flights are still on please let us know. Maybe we can rebook onto the flight and contact the hotel and get our rooms back!!

I suspect you’re right, but I’ll be calling tomorrow to confirm and just hope they’ve managed to book us on a different flight!
snow report
stevios wrote:
Quote:

Getting harder and harder to apply logic these days but if Tui are still flying on 27th it would make Crystal’s decision even harder to understand given the fact they are probably already on the hook for the hotel costs which presumably they committed to ages ago. Hope for you they are flying but I somehow doubt it.

Incidentally, TUI flights to Austria are unavailable to book on their website until flights departing 8th January. All other destinations (eg Italy) are still available right up to present. Not sure what that means for those booked on Austrian holidays in 1st week of January.
ski holidays
Quote:

They will not have made the decision lightly - they will be desperate to get people on holidays.

So desperate that they cancel all of their holidays to Austria over New Year despite the fact that we are allowed to go, with just the additional requirement to arrange a PCR, which I know from personal experience today is not that difficult. I understand the risks in arranging trips in the current climate, in particular the risk that Austria would stop us going, which has been troubling me all week, but the one thing I wasn’t expecting was a decision by Crystal to cancel when we can go. There is a huge difference between the difficulties faced by the industry and a company simply letting it’s customers down. Letting down the bars, restaurants, instructors etc in Austria as well.
latest report
Can I check please (for my 18 and 21 year olds). Both double vaccinated but no booster yet. If they get a booster tomorrow for example are the good to go to Austria on 3rd Jan? Reading the info it looks like day 1 booster is acceptable but I just want to be clear. I realise they will need PCR too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy