Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure on Austria but most countries want 14 days minimum between 2nd or booster and day of travel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Between my friend and I we have spoke to Tourist Office in Ellmau, Mayrhofen and Austrian Embassy in Dublin and all have confirmed that coming from Ireland you don’t need PCR if Boostered, I really hope this is the case.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sussexmartlet wrote:
Not sure on Austria but most countries want 14 days minimum between 2nd or booster and day of travel

Austria doesn’t unless you received J&J vaccine
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An update this afternoon from our TO Sunweb

"We have just received the official confirmation that starting 25-12 there will be a quarantine obligation for all people traveling from the UK to Austria that did not receive a booster shot. This means that if you don’t have a booster, your holiday can’t continue. We understand that this is a huge disappointment and we would like to offer you the following:"

SNIP Cancelation and Rebooking options

"We kindly ask you to rebook or cancel your holiday today: the 22nd of December. If you don’t rebook or cancel we assume you have received a booster shot and your holiday can continue. In case of this please be aware that you must show a negative PCR-test result."

Nothing specific on children or in date PCR requirements.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
munich_irish wrote:
@Gazzza, The person making the announcement (a public health official) was specifically asked about children and she said that there was going to be no change for them (dont ask me explain what the rules are currently its to complicated for me to keep up!). I agree that best wait for the government websites to be updated for the most accurate information, however I would suggest the only real question to be answered is if the exemption only applies to EU citizens, everything else is pretty clear. Going on holiday at the moment, especially with kids, is pretty stressful, you have to expect additional costs and changes in regulations at short notice, irritating though that is.

Thanks @munich_irish.

Depends whether by children they were referring to the previous rules for under 12's = whereby 11 and under get the same treatment as the status of their accompanying adult. ie. If adult fully boosted/tested/whatever needed for entry, then the child go it to. But then there were the rules for 12-15 year olds and 16 and 17 year olds too.

12-15 year olds could previously get in with 2G, then 2G plus (vaxxed or recovered plus test), as could adults, but now adults require a booster which 12-15 y.o's can't get. Alternatively 12-15 could use the ninja pass regime of testing.

The definition of children therefore referred to 3 separate categories depending on age. If all remain unchanged and as they were at 2G+ as it was on Monday then happy days, we can still go, albeit my wallet will be £400 lighter for 4 x same day PCR tests Ive just booked for Boxing Day, on the off chance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gazzza, @johnboy, I can only post what was on tt.com earlier:

https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus

"Entry regulations from virus variant areas only apply to adults
When asked about entry from virus variant areas with 3G , Reich said the rules only apply to adults , not children. The entry regulations for children remain unaffected.

GECKO will meet next week and may make further recommendations to the federal government, said Reich.

There was no vote, said Reich. But it was discussed and there was agreement that GECKO's recommendations would be followed .

" We drive on sight, " said Reich when asked. The situation could be reassessed at the beginning of next week. At the moment, the recommendations are as they have been described."

which would mean the previous part of the Regs relating to minors would stand:

https://goverdrive.portal.at/index.php/s/qnepQJZoEEZgX22

Minors
a. up to the age of 12 if travelling under supervision of an adult are exempted from any requirement. If the quarantine of the adult under whose supervision the minors are traveling is deemed to have ended, the quarantine for them is also deemed to have ended;
b. from the age of 6 up to the age of 15, even if travelling alone, are exempted from requirement to be vaccinated or recovered and tested, if they can provide (medical certificates of) at least 2 PCR-/LAMP-/TMA- and 1 Antigen-test or 3 PCR-/LAMP-/TMA-test done within 5 days within the last 7 days prior arrival
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do agree that leaves a very large grey area for 12-15s not already in possession of a Ninja pass
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
!!EDIT!! - The WKO site has stated the following:

Entry into Austria

The following four countries are classified as virus variant areas:
United Kingdom
Netherlands
Denmark
Norway
Entrants from these countries must commence a ten-day quarantine immediately after entering the country, the earliest possible date is the 5th day. This does not apply to people with a booster vaccination and a negative PCR test

https://news.wko.at/news/oesterreich/Corona-Regelungen-ab-27.-Dezember-im-Ueberblick.html?fbclid=IwAR3j87sYjS86ZW3DwVf18yjkl7edsxaJQ9cVRVuvPfrjztnFoxbCliKbulE

This is the ONLY official source I can find so far of this exception for the newly added countries.
The WKO is run by the Austrian Government so the info should stand...

General advice - wait and see...
Shocked Shocked

-----Please make sure you don't get confused----

From 00:00 on the 25th December ALL UK, Netherlands, and Danish are planned to be moved to the naughty list.

This means essential travel only - no tourism.

To be ALLOWED entrance to Austria you need a double vaccination and a proof of PCR or a double vaccination PLUS booster.
Strictly there should be an exceptional reason for travel rather than tourism.

Once your entrance into Austria has been allowed there is a MANDATORY quarantine of at least 5 days.
Arrival day is day 0.
On day 5 a negative PCR test will allow you to stop quarantine.

Alternatively you can quarantine for 10 days and not need a PCR test.

/!!EDIT!!

For current info visit https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html

"2. Entry from virus variant areas and states (Appendix 1): pre-travel clearance form, molecular test (e.g. PCR) and quarantine

Entry from virus variant areas and countries is only possible to a very limited extent. Essentially, only Austrian citizens and EU/EEA citizens and persons with residence or habitual abode in Austria may enter the country. Entry for humanitarian reasons or in the compelling interest of the Republic is also possible. In addition, there are further exceptions.

For persons entering from a virus variant area, or who have been in such an area during the past ten days, the following applies: For entry, valid 2G+ proof (vaccinated or recovered and a negative molecular test result) is required. Persons who have already received another dose of "booster" do not need to carry a PCR test.

In addition, a pre-travel clearance form has to be filled in online and a 10-day period of self-isolation has to be completed. However, quarantine can be ended earlier by obtaining a new negative molecular test result (e.g. PCR) on the fifth day after entry (whereby the day of entry counts as "day zero") or in the case of a positive molecular test result (PCR) by presenting an additional medical certificate in line with Appendix H or Appendix I.

The obligation to bring a negative result of a molecular test with you or a medical certificate confirming such a test does not apply to persons who have recovered from COVID-19 and can present a medical certificate in accordance with Appendix H or Appendix I. The obligation to self-isolate, however, remains."

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 22-12-21 19:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crystal update (seems accurate):

Updated: Tuesday December 21st 2021, 3:30pm (UK time)

Austria entry requirements update
Austria:

We’re aware of the new restrictions introduced by the Austrian authorities for those travelling between 25th December and 31st January.

All arrivals aged 16+ must be double vaccinated and must also have received their booster vaccination as well as having a negative result from a PCR test.

Children aged 12-15 are exempt from this with the Holiday Ninja Pass and those under 12 are also exempt. Details of the Holiday Ninja pass can be found here.

For departures to Austria on the 27th December, we’re aware that there is only a short timeframe before travel and getting the required testing will be difficult. We will be in touch with an update shortly.

For departures from the 3rd of January to 30th January we'll also be in contact soon in departure date order.

We’ll continue to monitor the situation for future departures. For customers due to travel 1st February onwards that want to change their holiday can do so up to 28 days before their departure with our Crystal Holiday Promise.

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/travel-information/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@flangesax, they've changed the restrictions on VVAs for the 4 countries named today to allow entry for tourism with booster + PCR.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@flangesax,

You have linked to a website which is two days out of date, please can you get your facts straight before posting please! As you have caused some anxiety in me thinking they have closed the borders!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 22-12-21 18:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DidierCouch wrote:
Crystal update (seems accurate):

Updated: Tuesday December 21st 2021, 3:30pm (UK time)

Austria entry requirements update
Austria:

We’re aware of the new restrictions introduced by the Austrian authorities for those travelling between 25th December and 31st January.

All arrivals aged 16+ must be double vaccinated and must also have received their booster vaccination as well as having a negative result from a PCR test.

Children aged 12-15 are exempt from this with the Holiday Ninja Pass and those under 12 are also exempt. Details of the Holiday Ninja pass can be found here.

For departures to Austria on the 27th December, we’re aware that there is only a short timeframe before travel and getting the required testing will be difficult. We will be in touch with an update shortly.

For departures from the 3rd of January to 30th January we'll also be in contact soon in departure date order.

We’ll continue to monitor the situation for future departures. For customers due to travel 1st February onwards that want to change their holiday can do so up to 28 days before their departure with our Crystal Holiday Promise.

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/travel-information/

Thanks. At least it is fairly clear what they are saying. Hopefully accurate as I cancelled my 11 year olds PCR
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DidierCouch, 'they' and 'where'.
Happy to be proved wrong on this... wink wink wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh well, Crystal have just cancelled my holiday. Back to the drawing board Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@flangesax, if I understand what you're asking, they = Austrian Federal Govt & States + GECKO. As to where, feel free to follow the links above
snow report
Just recieved via email from Crystal :

Quote:
We're aware that the Austrian Government have announced that UK travellers aged 16 and over need to quarantine upon arrival for 10 days, unless they've had a booster jab and have a negative PCR result from a test taken within 72 hours before their flight arrival time.

Unfortunately, due to the short notice of this announcement and the likely difficulty in getting a PCR test over the festive period, we've made the difficult decision to cancel our holidays to Austria departing on the 27th December.

We understand the huge disappointment this will cause. We know you'll have been looking forward to your trip to the mountains with friends and family and so we're giving you 10% discount to use towards your next ski trip. You can use this to rebook any ski holiday on sale on our website, this season or next.

This suggest they are canceling all travellers due to depart to Austria on 27th Dec, whether they want to go or not. I'd just pre-emptively booked same day PCR tests from Sunday too in the hope the kids could get in Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-12-21 19:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Crystal just cancelled ours too, really peed off as we are triple jabbed and have sorted the pcr tests.
snow conditions
@flangesax, the date on the link you posted is 20/12, there was an update today which is not reflected on that site, so the advice you've quoted in bold text is no longer applicable.

The Austrian Info site is up to date at the time of writing: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

"
NEW: Virus variant areas United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway
New rules for everyone arriving from the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway. These countries will be classified as a virus variant region from 25 December in Austria. This means:

People who are fully vaccinated (double jabbed AND have received the 3rd booster jab) can enter Austria with a negative PCR test (72 hours). Children under the age of 12 are exempt too and teenagers eligible for the Holiday Ninja Pass will be able to enter with a negative PCR test (72 hours).
Important additional information: Everyone else travelling from the UK, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway needs to quarantine for 10 days upon arrival if they have not been fully vaccinated (2 x jabs and a third booster).

"

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 22-12-21 19:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Just had a text from Crystal. They have cancelled all their holidays to Austria departing 27 December. All of them!! Given that none of the official sites have given details of the rules yet that is an interesting (and depressing) call.
ski holidays
@ratechaser, what was your holiday booking if I may ask which has been cancelled. As usual everything seems confusing and conflicting, opinions and interpretations. If you’ve had a solid cancellation that would be a clearer indication I think
snow report
I can sort of understand why Crystal have cancelled the 27th departures, as how many passengers are going to be able to get a PCR test on Christmas/Boxing Day? Very few I imagine.
snow conditions
@DidierCouch, I have followed those links - but currently going by law and not links from a very confused press there is no mention of a 'special' type of grouping of variant countries. A variant country is Appendix 1.

@2planks, That site updated 2 days ago as that was when the quarantine rule was added to all variant countries that sit in Appendix 1 (Like The Netherlands, UK and Denmark and all the others on the naughty list).

It was updated then and is currently relevant.

As I've written - I'm happy to be proved wrong and hopefully will be.
As things stand there is no sub-group of Apendix 1 variant countries that are outside the quarantine requirement.

Good luck to all travellers wink snowHead wink
ski holidays
@2planks, Me!
ski holidays
@feefee, you could just go anyway if you can get some accommodation and flights sorted out. Flights might be pricey though this close to departure date. It’s not too bad if you can do LGW to SZG 30th Dec to 6th Jan though.
snow report
@feefee, ahh, yes but a snowhead is not a typical Crystal passenger unfortunately Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
@DidierCouch, I have followed those links - but currently going by law and not links from a very confused press there is no mention of a 'special' type of grouping of variant countries. A variant country is Appendix 1.

@2planks, That site updated 2 days ago as that was when the quarantine rule was added to all variant countries that sit in Appendix 1 (Like The Netherlands, UK and Denmark and all the others on the naughty list).

It was updated then and is currently relevant.

As I've written - I'm happy to be proved wrong and hopefully will be.
As things stand there is no sub-group of Apendix 1 variant countries that are outside the quarantine requirement.

Good luck to all travellers wink snowHead wink

I am not following all of the above. Are you continuing to suggest Austria is closed to tourism?
Given the fact Austria is a very popular tourist destination I think they would have made it very clear that it is closed to tourism. I would not be happy to be proved wrong.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, yes I’ve already looked but doubt hubby would want to chance a 3rd attempt to go away next week Crying or Very sad
snow report
!!EDIT!! - The WKO site has stated the following:

Entry into Austria

The following four countries are classified as virus variant areas:
United Kingdom
Netherlands
Denmark
Norway
Entrants from these countries must commence a ten-day quarantine immediately after entering the country, the earliest possible date is the 5th day. This does not apply to people with a booster vaccination and a negative PCR test

https://news.wko.at/news/oesterreich/Corona-Regelungen-ab-27.-Dezember-im-Ueberblick.html?fbclid=IwAR3j87sYjS86ZW3DwVf18yjkl7edsxaJQ9cVRVuvPfrjztnFoxbCliKbulE

This is the ONLY official source I can find so far of this exception for the newly added countries.
The WKO is run by the Austrian Government so the info should stand...

General advice - wait and see...
Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, yes I’ve already looked but doubt hubby would want to chance a 3rd attempt to go away next week Crying or Very sad

Another trip with Crystal departing 26th somewhere else instead then? Italy?
ski holidays
Isn't it great how, whenever there is new Government guidance, it is like opening a can of worms. They're all the same!
latest report
feefee wrote:
Crystal just cancelled ours too, really peed off as we are triple jabbed and have sorted the pcr tests.

so they owe you compensation?
snow report
Heading back to the UK tomorrow train from Innsbruck to Munich then flight to Birmingham.
Have done my Covid test & just about to do the UK Plf.
Did someone earlier say that they had to do the German one as well?
I did the German to come through Austria to Germany last Saturday, but didn't think that I would have to do another one to go back to the UK?
snow conditions
you should all find an ambulance chaser to get you compensation from Crystal.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
feefee wrote:

so they owe you compensation?

Yes we will get a full refund for the holiday, we only booked Saturday after having France scuppered, took a chance as their covid guarantee was worth it.
latest report
jirac18 wrote:
@ratechaser, what was your holiday booking if I may ask which has been cancelled. As usual everything seems confusing and conflicting, opinions and interpretations. If you’ve had a solid cancellation that would be a clearer indication I think

Kaprun, 27th... mail from Crystal says they've taken the decision to cancel all Austria holidays going on the 27th... if if turns out there's a chance we could have gone, then I'll be even more pee'd off.

Having said that, they sent me a 10% off voucher for my next holiday. Guess we'll have to see how things are looking at Feb half term...
snow report
@sah, that is the first time austria.info has been ahead of the game since the start of the pandemic! They normally take at least 2 days to update anything rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Shades, that was me, no you don’t have to do the German one as well as the UK one but I did it just in case I got someone on check in tomorrow who insists I need to do it. That happened on the way out but nothing came of it. Also I’d been in Austria for the last 10 days not Austria and the UK in the last 10 days, so I thought that might make things easier. As it turned out none of the people on this thread who went back to the UK from Munich today had any issues.
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
@sah, that is the first time austria.info has been ahead of the game since the start of the pandemic! They normally take at least 2 days to update anything rolling eyes rolling eyes

I've only been following it since yesterday, so for me it's been very accurate so far Wink

I watched the press conference with Katharina Reich earlier, the austria.info matches what she said at 14:30CET today so, for now, it's accurate I think.

The UK had over 100K cases reported today, I suspect that these rules might not stay in place for long.
snow report
Thanks @VolklAttivaS5.
I was going ti chance it anyway as I've only been in Austria since Saturday & going back on the regional train to Munich.
Going to keep my head down & hope noone asks any questions lol
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, yep looked at that too but as we were supposed to be skiing with all the family on the 26th it wouldn’t be fair for us to not even have them here Boxing Day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy