Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Good luck to everyone trying to get away and those returning home.

We've decided to take Germany and Lufthansa out of our equation and rebooked direct to Innsbruck.

Fingers crossed for all our trips and stay safe
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@feefee, I've said it before and I'll say it again!! For a stress free option go here: https://covid.randox.com/travelling-to-the-uk/ and get your LF Test and your return PCR in a one stop shop. Just bring the LF one with you and leave the PCR one at home for your return.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi everyone, sorry if this has already been asked somewhere but I'm looking to gain some clarity on whether I'll be able to travel to Austria in the new year, I was originally meant to be going to France on Jan 1st but that plan has been scuppered obviously.

My situation is that I recovered from Covid last week which means I'm unable to get a booster for another 3+ weeks which will be after my travel date (first week of Jan is basically all I can do this year). Since I so recently had covid the chance of a PCR test still showing positive is quite high, does anyone know if I'd be able to get into Austria (or on the plane even) with a recent proof of recovery and an LFT if I'm also double jabbed?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thank you but I’m too late for Randox by post and there’s no click and collect locally with stock unfortunately, but C19 testing are next day delivery so gone with that, and will book the return PCR at the airport on landing home.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@infinite_lemons, this has been answered a number of times above. For adults either 3 shots or 2 shots / documented recovery plus PCR. The quote from the health ministry site with regard to entry conditions

Quote:
Basically, 2-G + applies to entry into Austria. It is therefore necessary to show proof of vaccination or recovery and, in addition, a molecular biological test ( e.g. PCR test). People who have already received another dose ("booster") are exempt from submitting a test.

It would seem if you cant provide a negative PCR then no entry to Austria.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
so this PCR test you need for entry if you dont have the booster - can it be a UK purchased postal PCR from someone like Randox health ? as long as its done in the 72hrs before you travel ? doesnt have to be done on austrian soil ? and then once you are there its 2G only so if you are double vaxed then you dont have to do anything all week (except show your NHS proof of 2 x vax)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, @backhojo, See my comments on today's arrivals with Jet 2. No requirement for PCR test (with Jet 2 check in) if you can show proof of Booster. No booster then you need the PCR result to get on the plane. Nobody at Salzburg Airports asked to see PCR test results. It may of course change.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-12-21 23:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@backhojo, yes as far as I understand that’s correct.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, if no booster possible, then a valid PCR is required. There are also stricter checks on entry. From the Tiroler Tageszeitung earlier today (referenced above too)

https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/114763/sorgen-wegen-omikron-ab-heute-strengere-kontrollen-in-osterreich

Quote:
Worries about Omikron: From today, stricter controls in Austria
Omikron leads to stricter entry regulations (2 G + or Booster), the police and the armed forces intensify controls at borders. From today, anyone who has not been vaccinated three times needs a negative PCR test to enter Austria or they have to go to home quarantine immediately. He may only end this after a negative PCR test. Commuters are exempt from this rule.

▶ ️ At Innsbruck airport was controlled completely due to numerous incoming machines from the United Kingdom and the Netherlands on Saturday and Sunday. Both countries are currently mainly affected by Omikron. The Netherlands are going into a Christmas lockdown again, London declared a state of emergency. The executive has registered the data of people entering Innsbruck from Great Britain by air, including their whereabouts and length of stay.Today, the new requirements are being monitored by the police in cooperation with the armed forces and the health authorities, with the density of checks being gradually increased, announced the state police headquarters. This means a great challenge for tourism companies in the country. Governor Günther Platter (VP) called on the hotel operators to "exercise the greatest possible caution" and to point out existing regulations (mask requirement, etc.) and the extensive range of tests available in the country.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
ratechaser wrote:
Honestly... Crystal... I got the one week out 'check requirements' email from them just now. Have had a look at Austria, and they have really made a mess of it for those of us with 16/17YOs... it's saying that to get into the country, recovery proof is fine for 18+ adults, but for 16/17, you have to be fully vaxxed.

I'd post a screenshot but I'm still new here so not worked out the process (or if I'm even allowed...)

That’s Crystal messing up, not Austria. Recovery has the same status for kids as adults.

Oh yes absolutely, and I'd already messaged them to call it out (no response, naturally...), but in an already confused situation, they are just making it worse. IIRC, they were the ones that initially propagated the "booster+14 days myth" as well.

On a more selfish level, I just don't want to get any problems from TUI staff at check in because they can't interpret the rules correctly!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, I'm looking at section 8 in the full entry requirements at https://goverdrive.portal.at/index.php/s/qnepQJZoEEZgX22/download/Entry-requirements-EN.pdf:

Quote:

8. exemption from the obligation to carry a negative PCR-/LAMP-/TMA-test result or a medical certificate of such a test result when entering according to point 4.a and point 5.c, if a medical certificate can be presented, which fulfills the following requirements:
a. confirmation of an infection with SARS-CoV-2 that occurred in the last 90 days and expired at the time the certificate is issued,
b. issuance no earlier than 14 days after the first detection or the beginning of symptoms,
c. no symptoms for at least 48 hours before the certificate is issued and
d. confirmation that, despite the presence of a positive molecular biological test result for SARS-CoV-2, based on the medical laboratory findings, it can be assumed that there is currently no risk of infection.

which seems to suggest there may be an exception for people in my situation but I'll probably have to give the airline a ring to confirm that they'd be happy with that as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, Changes by the minute. Latest here:

Travellers from all other countries not included in the lists above (which means the UK!)
Entering Austria is possible.
All travellers over 12 years need to show either proof of full vaccination OR proof of past infection.
In addition, travellers who have not yet received their booster jab, are required to show a negative PCR test (valid 72 hours). Please note: The booster jab is valid from the first day.
If you have proof of full vaccination AND recovery, you do not need a PCR test.
Children under the age of 12 do not need a "2-G" proof or PCR test if accompanied by fully vaccinated or recovered adults.
Teenagers (from 12 and born on or after 1 September 2006) can use the first test of their Holiday Ninja Pass to enter Austria.
Travellers who are able to show proof of full vaccination (plus booster or PCR-test) or past infection do not need to register for pre-travel clearance and do not need to self-isolate.
Travellers who enter with a "2-G" proof but no PCR test or without a "2-G" proof need to register digitally in advance to obtain pre-travel clearance.
Travellers who show only a negative PCR test (not a vaccine certificate or proof of a past infection) are not allowed to enter Austria. Exemptions apply for Austrian citizens and those with residency in Austria. They need to self-isolate for 10 days and can end the quarantine early with a negative test after 5 days.

So you only need the PCR Test if you haven't had a booster, which tallys with what Jet 2 were doing at 04.00 this morning at Stansted.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RedandWhiteFlachau, No, there are quite a few exceptions to needing a PCR test there. Do you have the link so people can check it for themselves?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, glad I dont have kids it becomes pretty impossible. I know many German families are currently effectively excluded from Austria given the requirement for anyone over the age of 5 to be fully vaccinated or have to quarantine on their return. How is some airline check in person ever going to be able to untangle all that!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Does this mean that you dont need a PCR if you have a covid recovery cert.
latest report
so the next question is what constitutes a "recovery certificate" as i have just read that proof of covid infection from the NHS app is not accepted (will post the link in a minute). you cant get a "certificate" from your GP (my wife is a GP and they simply direct enquiries to the NHS digital health record which shows you have had covid). you can get them online but they are a rip off and i suspect most of them are a scam !
snow report
Who is allowed to enter the country without a negative molecular biological test ( e.g. PCR )?Inhalt zuklappen
Due to a previous infection with SARS-CoV-2, there is the possibility of a positive molecular biological test result ( e.g. PCR test) even after recovery. Therefore, there is for people who have recovered in the last 90 days of COVID-19, since 03 August 2021 the possibility of a medical certificate in accordance with Annex H or Annex I boast.

Furthermore, people who have a vaccination certificate that they have received a further dose (“booster”) are exempt from the obligation to test.

(12/20/2021, 7:00 AM)

https://www.sozialministerium.at/Informationen-zum-Coronavirus/Coronavirus---Haeufig-gestellte-Fragen/FAQ-Einreise-nach-Oesterreich.html
snow conditions
Proof of Past Infection
You can enter Austria for 180 days after a SARS-CoV-2 infection. Please make sure you have a medical document showing when you recovered. Attention: For people arriving from the United Kingdom, the NHS email / text message that you tested positive is not sufficient.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
ski holidays
infinite_lemons wrote:
@munich_irish, I'm looking at section 8 in the full entry requirements at https://goverdrive.portal.at/index.php/s/qnepQJZoEEZgX22/download/Entry-requirements-EN.pdf:

Quote:

8. exemption from the obligation to carry a negative PCR-/LAMP-/TMA-test result or a medical certificate of such a test result when entering according to point 4.a and point 5.c, if a medical certificate can be presented, which fulfills the following requirements:
a. confirmation of an infection with SARS-CoV-2 that occurred in the last 90 days and expired at the time the certificate is issued,
b. issuance no earlier than 14 days after the first detection or the beginning of symptoms,
d. confirmation that, despite the presence of a positive molecular biological test result for SARS-CoV-2, based on the medical laboratory findings, it can be assumed that there is currently no risk of infection.

which seems to suggest there may be an exception for people in my situation but I'll probably have to give the airline a ring to confirm that they'd be happy with that as well.

I've just compared my "NHS COVID Pass - Recovery" with the above and it doesn't meet all those requirements. It doesn't do much other than state the date I tested positive.
latest report
@sugarmoma666 Looking into it further I think we'd need to get this form signed by a doctor https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/BgblAuth/BGBLA_2021_II_344/COO_2026_100_2_1883895.pdfsig but as @backhojo was saying, I'm not sure if GP's will do it
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
infinite_lemons wrote:

Quote:

I've just compared my "NHS COVID Pass - Recovery" with the above and it doesn't meet all those requirements. It doesn't do much other than state the date I tested positive.

exactly - seems like we are making one step forward followed by one step back !
you an get them online for £149 ! whether they are accepted is another question
also - you present this"certificate" to the airline / tunnel. they wont have a clue that there is an exception to PCR if you have had previous covid, and if they do they wont have a clue what is acceptable evidence of such
snow report
Arrived in Kitzbuhel at 5pm yesterday.
Gatwick to Innsbruck flight - checked COVID Passes at baggage drop. Rest of check-in normal although this was first time flying for around 12yrs. To get through to gate, we needed a FFP2 mask or they would not let us through - surgical mask we’re not accepted. The vending machine would only take coins. Ended up running back to WHSmiths. Bought a pack of them and ran back just in time.
Innsbruck - passport control wanted Booster jab proof and to write down where we were staying.
No-one anywhere has asked to see PCR test.
The whole process smooth and pain free.
snow report
Had an email from Lufthansa this morning. Just a seat change further forward because of an aircraft change. Would make sense. Nothing else said apart from that.

For anyone that is coming out here soon by flying into Austria and needs a PCR test done quickly because of some new rule changes or some other reason (while they are here), I noted that the Central Apotheke in Wörgl does express PCR tests with the result back in 4 hours for €55. For 24 hours it’s €25.
That’s not bad at all. Cheaper than in the UK for the same thing!
Anyway that may not be the cheapest way of doing it but just in case that’s helpful for anyone that needs one urgently….I checked it out last night and they replied this morning.
snow conditions
It looks like Switzerland has just introduced a rule which requires a negative test prior to entry from Austria.

I tried the interactive tool on https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html a week or 2 ago, and it did not indicate the need for a test. That has now changed.

This may affect those people, like ourselves, who will be arriving/leaving via ZRH.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
infinite_lemons wrote:

Quote:

Well, the gov.uk page for Austria indicates that the NHS recovery and vaccination passes are accepted - must admit I thought we'd had confirmation of this from other posters here but perhaps that's another forum I've been trawling... I'm obviously easily confused!
latest report
There is a recovery certificate provided by the Austrian Govt which can be printed and then signed by a GP which will suffice for anyone who doesn't have the required proof of recovery. Several people on here have already stated that they have done this, so it is clearly possible.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, as things currently stand it is best to assume you will need a test for travelling, things change daily. I believe your return trip is a good while away? if so who knows what the regs will be by then!
latest report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@munich_irish, Changes by the minute. Latest here:

Travellers from all other countries not included in the lists above (which means the UK!)
Entering Austria is possible.
All travellers over 12 years need to show either proof of full vaccination OR proof of past infection.
In addition, travellers who have not yet received their booster jab, are required to show a negative PCR test (valid 72 hours). Please note: The booster jab is valid from the first day.
If you have proof of full vaccination AND recovery, you do not need a PCR test.
Children under the age of 12 do not need a "2-G" proof or PCR test if accompanied by fully vaccinated or recovered adults.
Teenagers (from 12 and born on or after 1 September 2006) can use the first test of their Holiday Ninja Pass to enter Austria.
Travellers who are able to show proof of full vaccination (plus booster or PCR-test) or past infection do not need to register for pre-travel clearance and do not need to self-isolate.
Travellers who enter with a "2-G" proof but no PCR test or without a "2-G" proof need to register digitally in advance to obtain pre-travel clearance.
Travellers who show only a negative PCR test (not a vaccine certificate or proof of a past infection) are not allowed to enter Austria. Exemptions apply for Austrian citizens and those with residency in Austria. They need to self-isolate for 10 days and can end the quarantine early with a negative test after 5 days.

So you only need the PCR Test if you haven't had a booster, which tallys with what Jet 2 were doing at 04.00 this morning at Stansted.

Here's the link to the info above. https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html

But, there is now a huge caveat at the top of the page, which is not helpful:

"Caution
The information on this page is currently not up to date. As of December 20, 2021, comprehensive changes to the provisions of entry into Austria came into force (9. Novelle and 10. Novelle of the COVID-19-Einreiseverordnung 2021, Änderung der Verordnung über das Landeverbot von Luftfahrzeugen aus SARS-CoV-2-Virusvariantengebieten und -staaten). This page is currently being updated and will be put online correctly shortly. Up to date information can be found on the page FAQ: Einreise nach Österreich (→ BMSGPK)"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
There is a recovery certificate provided by the Austrian Govt which can be printed and then signed by a GP which will suffice for anyone who doesn't have the required proof of recovery. Several people on here have already stated that they have done this, so it is clearly possible.

you will no get a UK GP to sign this...unless someone knows different. my wife is a GP an I am a manager in a GP surgery. its not something we do. all surgeries I have found with something on their website have stated that you need to ring 119 or look online at the gov website. all roads appear to point to the NHS proof of infection app
ski holidays
@Gazzza,
We have a copy of their +ve test result, as well as the Austrian format Medical Certificate (https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Bundesnormen/NOR40234210/II_222_2021_Anlage_4.pdf ), completed and signed by a Doctor.

did you get this signed by a UK doctor at a regular GP surgery ? if so did you just take it in and ask them to sign it ?
snow conditions
@munich_irish, After reading all the latest rules for entry it's clear that Ireland and all the countries on the safe list require a PCR test if they are providing a recovery cert in place of a booster cert. Yet the UK and all the other countries not on the safe list can provide a recovery cert and dont need a PCR. This is completely bonkers if correct.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@ulmerhutte, as things currently stand it is best to assume you will need a test for travelling, things change daily. I believe your return trip is a good while away? if so who knows what the regs will be by then!

Yup, we don’t return until mid-March, so a lot could change by then. We do have some contingency plans.
latest report
@Chick, for months now the Austrian rules have been extremely complicated, changing regularly and with conflicting information on different government websites, pretty much impossible to keep up. Perhaps the various Austrian bureaucrats are steeped in the traditions of the Hapsburg Empire and spend to much time reading the novels of Franz Kafka.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, look at the situation 1.5 weeks before would be best. Any earlier and it can all change. Even a week before!
ski holidays
The TT is reporting that the UK has been put on the variant country list - so 10 day quarantine for all travellers with effect from Friday.

EDIT: the TT item is “sources say” type stuff and as far as I can see nobody else is reporting this; I sincerely hope it’s wrong but who knows!
latest report
@LittleRos, let's hope not Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Well spotted! This is obviously major breaking news and not yet widely reflected, but wouldn't be surprising and -if true - puts paid to the Tyrol ski season for those of us planning to head out after Christmas Sad
ski holidays
@mo66, It pretty much puts paid to the Tirol ski season full stop! It certainly won't be a popular move – German visitors are already struggling with rules for kids, and this announcement (if true) knocks out the Brits, Dutch and Scandis – i.e. most of the rest of the tourists. A lockdown by stealth for the hotel industry, but without any requirement for compensation Confused
latest report
You really really would think that after a 10 day lockdown plus tightening of testing rules for entry, we'd have at least a bit more time before something draconian like this happened...

But frankly at this point, my ability to second guess anything has evaporated.

All I can do now is hope it ain't so, and we can get away next Monday as planned.
snow report
Quote:

The TT is reporting that the UK has been put on the variant country list - so 10 day quarantine for all travellers with effect from Friday.

Assuming just for a moment this is not correct (he says hopefully - due to fly 27 December) the Austrian Embassy advice re who does and who does not need a PCR seems a bit contradictory to previous posts
https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/
This seems to say that recovered and a second jab is also an exclusion in terms of requiring a PCR. Whilst this seems logical (2 jabs + recovered at least as good as 3 jabs) it's the first time I've seen it so clearly written down (in English!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy