Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE,
If you are driving from KEMPTEN to Innsbruck keep an eye on traffic density as you approach Fussen and the border - the autobahn goes from 3 to 2 to one lane for the border and queues can be horrendous. Consider diverting via Pfronten. Similarly, after the border, if it's busy, take the country road to and through Reutte - at busy times there is a flow control system on the main road.
Once over the Fernpass, do you really need to use the autobahn? I set the satnav to avoid vignettes and to route via Stams and Zirl village (without going into Stams). This tweak takes you down a decent road from Fronhausen to the valley floor and then past the airport. Fuel is cheaper between Fernpass and Zirl than in Innsbruck!

I drove to Italy on 6 and 7 July (Dover - Calais - Karlsruhe - Fernpass - Garda) - the only time I showed my passport was at Dover check in, there was a roadblock northbound on the German side of the Fussen tunnel - I suspect it was for illegals, not for Covid purposes. Europabrucke is now €10 and in terms of time saved, worth it.
Buon viaggio!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It has been confirmed this morning that the landing ban for UK flights has now been lifted.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am I the only one getting the feeling that within the next couple of weeks, the buffoon is going to re introduce quarantining from most of mainland Europe just to look tough. Hes building it all up talking about a second wave in Europe where the evidence is certainly clear the numbers are rising. Similarly in the UK, but there hes talking about localisation.

Im just not sure we can safely drive to Austria over the next few weeks, without running the risk of having to self isolate again for 14 days on our return.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jafa, The issue for return to the UK would be if level of infections in France rises considerably. Luxembourg is not a big issue as it is easily avoided (keep your phones off!). However you are correct the situation is not stable and could change at anytime. Austria is as likely to change the rules with little or no notice as the UK is. A "normal" summer holiday is not on the cards this year.

Just seen this which suggests that UK restrictions on France might not be far away.....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 31-07-20 11:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And pay cash at the fuel station. Yip I agree normal isnt how id describe 2020 , but unfortunately, Im having to go out there sometime, if nothing else to sort out a new cleaner!!!!!!! Otherwise, 2021 is going to be stressful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @Nemisis, It has been, pehaps 40 years since I've gone over the Brenner without using the motorway. Do you need a vignette as well as the toll charge to use the motorway over the Brenner pass?

As to Luxenbourg - how does anyone know you have been there? I drove through it last year and didn't notice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Normally by fuel receipts. Its the cheapest anywhere in Europe, and be mad not to top up
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, you do not need a vignette to use the Brenner autobahn between Innsbruck Süd and the pass, clearly you have to pay the toll. My experience is that the side roads get full of motorbike clubs especially on a Sunday but I seem to remember there are now restrictions on bikes at weekends on some of the roads. You can avoid paying the toll on the Italian side by taking the Brenner Süd exit which is not well signposted just after the border, it can occasionally be worth using this if the tailback from the booths at Sterzing is particularly bad. Personally if I was on a long drive I would give the messing about with the side roads a miss, the route via Bregenz and the Arlberg tunnel is a few Euros more in tolls etc but a lot more relaxing drive (there are some single carriageway sections around the Arlberg Tunnel but they are wide main roads, nothing like the twisty roads over the Fern pass and onto the Inn valley), especially on a Sunday with few trucks (most are banned) and not so much tourist traffic.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well we've just received our latest booking for our Wagrain Apartment, which blocks out all of August. Admitedly Germans but hey business isn't bad despite no Brits!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, I think I'll go through the Arlberg following your advice. And yes I was on a motorcycle when I used the old road to go over the Brenner. I actually wanted to see the beautiful viaducts of the motorway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jafa wrote:
Am I the only one getting the feeling that within the next couple of weeks, the buffoon is going to re introduce quarantining from most of mainland Europe just to look tough. Hes building it all up talking about a second wave in Europe where the evidence is certainly clear the numbers are rising. Similarly in the UK, but there hes talking about localisation.

There is some speculation that blacklisting EU territories is not just a bit of playing to the loyalists/showboating over much better the UK now is but also a bit of a play of strength re Brexit negotiations
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, it’s more than speculation I’d say, it’s clearly a factor, BoZo playing games...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whoah.

You mean it’s all some crazy conspiracy?

That’s just mad.

Who’d a thunk it.

Why have we not been told?

I blame the 5G and BBC they are definitely all in it together along with the Illuminati.

Is that also why Germany is introducing quarantine for parts of Spain, Lithuania has imposed quarantine on travellers from France and Ireland is asking it’s citizens to “restrict your movements, staying indoors in one location and avoiding contact with other people and social situations as much as possible” if you have come back from anywhere bar 15 countries?

I mean I’ll give credit to the conspirators it’s crazy complicated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Covidiots

Travelling around Europe trying to circumnavigate/avoid rules & regulations ..

Huge Sections (4.5million People) of your own Country have been regulated ... take note of this

Why are you taking Holidays? Holidays are not Essential.

Covidiots

Your Pubs & Restaurants will close down again after the Summer because of your Covidiot Behaviour.

STAY AT HOME

Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, are you seriously suggesting we shoud go into pubs and restaurants (which are not essential) yet not go into the mountains where we are unlikely to be within many metres of anyone else.
snow report
@stanton, currently the Netherlands has a worse Covid-19 record than Canada which has 3 times the population. I'm surprised that Belgium, Luxembourg, and Netherlands haven't been shut off, obvious Covid19 spread centres. Netherlands Covid-19 numbers worse than Sweden!
snow report
@stanton, Just been on the A99 Munich ring road which has heavy traffic both ways, lots of folk going on or returning from holiday. Saw lots of Dutch number plates (lots of the infamous "Dutch Caravans" not popular with the locals here) but no UK ones.........
ski holidays
Arrived in Saalbach, no issues , apart from a 40 minute delay on Eurotunnel.
snow report
Can I just remind everyone coming out to Austria (or anywhere else in the Alps, I guess) not to forget your waterproofs and maybe a head torch if you have one. Today went from 36C to having to warm up in the shower later rolling eyes
ski holidays
@stanton, Luxembourg added to 14 day quarantine list...…….. Only days away for Netherlands to be added as well.

So much for your gloating, maybe the UK pubs may close, but your whole country is doomed! Toofy Grin
latest report
Lets not gloat about NL figures just to respond to the troll . The UK is in a precarious position.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, it still surprises me how he can get people to bite!
latest report
Update on our trip, Eurotunnel had issues which resulted in a 40 minute delay, not a problem as our overnight hotel did simple food (pizza, pasta, Flammkuchen).

Usual border checks at Folkstone, we did have the French declaration to hand just in case, drove through France, Belgium into Germany no issues.

Stayed at the Ibis Styles Karlsruhe Ettlingen, secure underground car parking for €10 . Hotel has one way system for bar and restaurant, face masks strictly enforced, tables in restaurant spaced out, you can take your facemask off to eat Very Happy

Drive to Saalbach took about an hour longer because of traffic and road works, when we came off the motorway for our last stage to Saalbach, there was a police check not sure what they were checking.

Saalbach seems to be busy, the restaurants open with reduced capacity, bars open, the hotel near us has a full car park usual mix of nationalities.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 2-08-20 12:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton Saw lots of Dutch number plates (lots of the infamous "Dutch Caravans" not popular with the locals here) but no UK ones.........

so the dutch are the super spreaders in Europe. some one should tell stantontroll
snow conditions
Germany requires arrivals to take tests after spike

So does that include transiting going down to Austria I wonder, or just airports?
snow conditions
Well having read all the stuff from Austria and planned my route and booked a hotel in Saarbrucken for Saturday night I see Germany has now banned entry without a test
Quote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53675591

I think a corridor still exists down the east of France and Swtizerland
ski holidays
The roads borders will be total chaos. They are already busy. The Slovenian border which has compulsory checks often has waits of well over 2 hours for road traffic.
latest report
@johnE, @jafa, Half a story from the BBC.

The mandatory testing is for people returning from risk areas – some parts of Spain, Luxembourg, Belgium etc. (Full list here: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html ). The UK is NOT on the list. German press: https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/corona-krise-testpflicht-fuer-rueckkehrer-aus-risikogebieten-ab-samstag-a-bd087da8-52b7-4bd1-8e1a-0bf105c0489e

Looks like any arrivals can get a free test if you want one though.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 6-08-20 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it is any use to anyone, I travelled eurotunnel, France, Germany, Austria last Saturday night then Austria, Italy, France on Monday. No official presence at any border except Folkestone. GB van to Austria, CYM Laughing car to France but since there was no-one at borders did not matter Smile . As mentioned above, lots of NL vehicles. Heading into Austria on Sunday morning we reckoned approaching 50% of total traffic Shocked
snow conditions
@skitow, Thanks again for your efforts at collecting my kit, sorry it didn't work out....can't stop the hotelier friend from going on holidays I guess! Glad you got your car back OK, and returned without incident.

Yeah despite the troll above protesting about UK people he needs to look closer to home, the Dutch like an en-masse trip with all the toys, mind you you would if you lived in the flattest country in Europe much of it below sea-level wouldn't you? A mountainous landscape and associated features/ villages must be very welcome, even if you have to carry your snail shell with you to avoid spending any money in the local economy.
snow report
Here is my earlier post, no current restrictions on UK residents entering Germany, I’ve checked the official site using the link below.

For those driving with the ever changing situation across Europe, I'm reposting the links (in one place) so you can check if there are any changes to the entry requirements also the documentation you need to complete to leave (into France) and return to the UK

Leaving the UK to enter France complete and print out: https://www.eurotunnel.com/Eurotunnel/files/3f/3f474b02-0e9f-4992-a3d8-4d4944cdcef3.pdf

Belgium entry requirements: https://unitedkingdom.diplomatie.belgium.be/en

Germany entry requirements : https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus

The Netherlands entry requirements: https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/visas-for-the-netherlands/qas-travel-restrictions-for-the-netherlands

Returning to the UK complete 48hrs before return : https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

Austria entry requirements: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/

Apart from the french form, they are all links to official government sites.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:

The mandatory testing is for people returning from risk areas – some parts of Spain, Luxembourg, Belgium etc. (Full list here: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html ). The UK is NOT on the list. German press: https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/corona-krise-testpflicht-fuer-rueckkehrer-aus-risikogebieten-ab-samstag-a-bd087da8-52b7-4bd1-8e1a-0bf105c0489e

But does that mean if I arrive in Germany, say at the schengen autobahn, Id either have to take a test, or be turned back?
ski holidays
@radar, well done great info. Ta
ski holidays
@jafa, in theory if you’ve gone through Lux yes, just go around it?
latest report
@johnE, check the official German government site in my post above.
ski holidays
@Markymark29,
Quote:

great info. Ta

Thanks

Think I’ll repost every time the page changes Toofy Grin
ski holidays
radar wrote:

Leaving the UK to enter France complete and print out: https://www.eurotunnel.com/Eurotunnel/files/3f/3f474b02-0e9f-4992-a3d8-4d4944cdcef3.pdf

Completed the form as required. No one at Folkestone wanted to see it so still in the car glove box.
snow report
@BergenBergen, same with us , but if you didn’t have them I’m sure they would have asked ! rolling eyes
ski holidays
jafa wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

But does that mean if I arrive in Germany, say at the schengen autobahn, Id either have to take a test, or be turned back?

Interesting question. The compulsory tests from Saturday are really aimed at holidaymakers returning from Spain etc. Luxembourg has a large number of daily commuters from Germany and elsewhere. I doubt that there will be daily test for those folk. As I understand it anyone who is working in Luxembourg is being regularly tested anyway (there is an argument that this is the reason for the high number of cases) so maybe it wont apply to them. Most of the test stations are at airports or train stations however I know of test stations setup at Kiefersfeldern on the Inntal autobahn as well as on the autobahn near Salzburg and Passau. My understanding is that this is a Bavarian only thing so no test stations at Schengen / Perl etc. Tests are free of charge, I guess that applies to folk without German health insurance too.
ski holidays
The BBC has now revised its website and now, correctly, mentions a list of high risk areas. It has not removed the original erroneous post.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy