Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Given the high infection rate, people who manage to get to Austria will be in danger of being infected and having problems when they return.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
turms2 wrote:
what is the "people with kids thing"? i have also kids.

Probably referring to 12-18yos being in some form of limbo and the fact that some parents are getting cheesed off with the whole uncertainty of it all that they'll just can it and go skiing in 22/23
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lockdown from Monday Salzburg and Upper Austria applies to accommodation and gastronomy, hoping to lift by Christmas

https://www.sn.at/salzburg/politik/strenger-lockdown-fuer-alle-in-salzburg-ausnahmezustand-bis-weihnachten-112663393
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're booked to Obertauern December 19th - what does this mean for us?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Earlydoors, it means the chances of your visit going ahead are now very low. You should start reading the cancellation terms of your booking carefully, and contact the provider(s) to discuss the options.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unbelievable - We booked Obertauern march 28th 2020 - cancelled about 2 weeks earlier and now its happened again!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We’re cancelling Austria. Absolutely gutted. Spent all afternoon looking at alternatives
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Monday 0.00 a.m., Salzburg residents may only leave the private living area for the following reasons:

Coverage of basic needs
Help others and go to vaccination
Averting danger
Professional activity and training purposes
Physical and psychological recreation outdoors
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
so that last one is skiing, right?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess the Tirol will probably follow suit at some stage right?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Earlydoors wrote:

yes, except that the lifts will not be running, and all accommodation is closed. If you are happy to skin up and only do day trips in from Germany you might be able to ski. Otherwise no, but it's a good try.

@Noymychashkachaia, probably, but who knows? The Austrian government response has been fragmentary, unco-ordinated and at times contradictory, so until an announcement is made one way or the other there will be no certainty. And any certainty which is provided will be subject to change, possibly only a few days later.

If the lockdown becomes national, I would expect international travel to be curtailed for everyone except Austrian citizens or those with residency rights. Could even be roadblocks at the borders at this rate.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked for Obertauern too. I reckon if the apartment has to cancel on us then we’re due a full refund.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Noymychashkachaia wrote:

I hope a decision is made about Tirol one way or the other very soon, there's a Telemark Event scheduled at Hintertux for 3rd-5th December I was intending to go to, I would imagine the organiser is getting nervous about whether he'll have to cancel it for a second year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The entry requirements are now inline with the 2G rule.

If you are vaccinated
If you provide proof of vaccination, or a medical certificate of full immunisation, you do not have to self-isolate or register upon entry.

For single-shot vaccines (e.g. Johnson & Johnson), you must show that you received the vaccine more than 21 but no more than 270 days before arrival.

For double-shot vaccines (e.g. AstraZeneca, Moderna), you must show that you received the second injection no more than 270 days before arrival.

If you received a booster more than 120 days after being fully immunised, this must not have been more than 270 days before arrival.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ousekjarr wrote:
Earlydoors wrote:

yes, except that the lifts will not be running, and all accommodation is closed. If you are happy to skin up and only do day trips in from Germany you might be able to ski.

Are you sure the lifts will be closed? Obviously most are currently, apart from glaciers, but they were open during lockdowns last year...

(to the original question: yes skiing, touring, biking, hiking etc all count - or did last time - as allowed outdoor exercise)
snow report
Noymychashkachaia wrote:

Seems more likely than not.
snow conditions
so ... errr ... vaccinations don't work then?

oh, wait, you mean you have to actually have them?

how unreasonable!

or is Austria's hair on unreasonable fire?
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:
Earlydoors wrote:

yes, except that the lifts will not be running, and all accommodation is closed. If you are happy to skin up and only do day trips in from Germany you might be able to ski.

Are you sure the lifts will be closed? Obviously most are currently, apart from glaciers, but they were open during lockdowns last year...

(to the original question: yes skiing, touring, biking, hiking etc all count - or did last time - as allowed outdoor exercise)

I'm not sure I can see the Austrians putting up with tourists swanning around their ski areas while they are locked down, 2G or not 2G. Either way, the accommodation is unavailable and you'll be self-catering and carrying sandwiches - https://www.sn.at/salzburg/politik/strenger-lockdown-fuer-alle-in-salzburg-ausnahmezustand-bis-weihnachten-112663393
Quote:
Gastronomy and hotels will have to be closed from Monday. Production companies are allowed to continue working. Most of the trade also has to close. As in the previous lockdowns, grocery stores and other everyday shops are allowed to keep open.
snow conditions
This is from the TT blog which gives broadly similar information to the Bavarian information I posted above

https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/112246/inzidenz-steigt-bei-ungeimpften-deutlicher-als-bei-geimpften

Quote:
The incidence rises more clearly in the unvaccinated than in the vaccinated
The seven-day incidence per 100,000 population has recently risen more significantly in incompletely and non-vaccinated people than in vaccinated people . This is shown by the AGES data updated on Thursday on new infections by vaccination status and age. After Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg (ÖVP) had justified the lockdown for unvaccinated people with declining incidences among vaccinated people, AGES has now excluded the past seven days due to expected late registrations.

▶ ️ Nevertheless, the figures and graphics from the Agency for Health and Food Safety show a clear picture: the vaccination is working . The curves of vaccinated and unvaccinated people diverge more and more. Although there have been slight decreases in the number of vaccinated persons in the past few days, these should not be overestimated due to delays in reporting, the AGES had emphasized.

▶ ️ If the already meaningful values ​​up to 10 November are used instead, the incidences increased in both unvaccinated and vaccinated persons up to this date - but significantly more in those who were not completely or not at all vaccinated, and only slightly in those who were fully immunized. Among the twelve to 17-year-olds , those who were vaccinated had a seven-day incidence per 100,000 people in this age group of 270 on November 10, while those who were not vaccinated had a value of 2581 . Among the 18 to 59 year olds , the discrepancy is smaller with 442 to 1585 , in the group 60-plus there are vaccinated persons with 319Cases compared to an incidence of 1067 among the unvaccinated.

▶ ️ The situation is similar for the symptomatic cases that have been excluded - i.e. those actually suffering from Covid-19. In the vaccinated 12 to 17-year-olds, 200 cases per 100,000 people in this age group occurred on November 10 , in the unvaccinated 1,165 Cases. Among the 18 to 59 year olds there are 313 to 923 cases and among the older ones, who were better vaccinated and tended to be called for booster sessions earlier, lower values ​​with 217 among those who were vaccinated and 537 among those who were not completely or not at all vaccinated.
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:
turms2 wrote:
what is the "people with kids thing"? i have also kids.

Probably referring to 12-18yos being in some form of limbo and the fact that some parents are getting cheesed off with the whole uncertainty of it all that they'll just can it and go skiing in 22/23

Correct.
People giving it up because they can’t be bothered with the hassle or the wondering ‘what if’. Lots of people are like that because the SHs community are really rather committed so your once a year or once every other year skiing families may well have just written it off as soon as they heard about the mask wearing etc.
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
@ski for fun, it is no hassle if you are fully vaccinated, you show your phone and ID when you buy your lift ticket, once on arrival in hotel and once for each visit to a restaurant.

only taken 2 days and now not looking good with the new lockdown in the area
latest report
No digs booked yet until nearer the time (in case I or Mrs MA get covid) - but now expecting our 'somewhere in Tirol' week from 11th December to be off as the area follows suit on lockdown Confused

But at this stage the question is, if the Tirol is open then, will Salzburg Airport (ie our intended destination) and associated car hire be open? Presumably not Crying or Very sad

It'll be the third time since UK Lockdown 1 that we've rearranged our easyjet flights rolling eyes
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:
Earlydoors wrote:

I'm not sure I can see the Austrians putting up with tourists swanning around their ski areas while they are locked down, 2G or not 2G. Either way, the accommodation is unavailable and you'll be self-catering and carrying sandwiches - https://www.sn.at/salzburg/politik/strenger-lockdown-fuer-alle-in-salzburg-ausnahmezustand-bis-weihnachten-112663393
Quote:
Gastronomy and hotels will have to be closed from Monday. Production companies are allowed to continue working. Most of the trade also has to close. As in the previous lockdowns, grocery stores and other everyday shops are allowed to keep open.

I think you've misunderstood me: if the rules are the same as last year, the lifts will stay (/are obliged to) open for locals to use as skiing (and other outdoor recreation) is/was explicitly allowed. Other than the very first in spring 2020, lockdown doesn't really mean stay at home the whole time, just that there's no shopping, restaurants, bars etc and an evening curfew (though you were allowed out after curfew if running or exercising anyway). That's why I was wondering if you'd read somewhere that it would be different this time.

What they do with the borders this time will be a bigger question...
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
No digs booked yet until nearer the time (in case I or Mrs MA get covid) - but now expecting our 'somewhere in Tirol' week from 11th December to be off as the area follows suit on lockdown Confused

But at this stage the question is, if the Tirol is open then, will Salzburg Airport (ie our intended destination) and associated car hire be open? Presumably not Crying or Very sad

It'll be the third time since UK Lockdown 1 that we've rearranged our easyjet flights rolling eyes

This will be interesting to see. I think the airports were all open still last time, just obviously vastly reduced flights. I haven't heard mention of closing the borders - so far - so maybe they will just stay open with the assumption that no open accommodation will de facto keep tourists out?
snow conditions
It appears if the various media whispers are true that the ÖVP will agree to a short period of general restrictions (which they were previously completely against) until 17.12.21 on the basis that there will be legally mandated compulsory vaccination for all Austrian residents. Interesting to see if that happens, it might have an impact elsewhere.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
It appears if the various media whispers are true that the ÖVP will agree to a short period of general restrictions (which they were previously completely against) until 17.12.21 on the basis that there will be legally mandated compulsory vaccination for all Austrian residents. Interesting to see if that happens, it might have an impact elsewhere.

Pfff I'm genuinely not sure they could get that past the populace! There would be serious civil unrest in some quarters...
ski holidays
I'm booked for Westendorf for 8th Jan. Should I hold my nerve? I guess no-one really knows what the situation will be like by then!
snow report
Some ski resorts are delaying opening, Zauch announced mid December.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, I thought that too but given the clear 100% about turn by the ÖVP (clearly been watching the UK prime minister Very Happy ) who knows.
snow report
I'm booked for Mayrhofen 17th to 27th Dec + Hinterglemm in 15th - 22nd Jan.

I'm holding my nerve.

At the moment the guidelines say that the resorts will be open. People can speculate but no one knows until the government issues a statement.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
@ski for fun, it is no hassle if you are fully vaccinated, you show your phone and ID when you buy your lift ticket, once on arrival in hotel and once for each visit to a restaurant.

seems it is now and thats only 48 hrs since we posted
snow report
As many others have opined this is all very concerning - my first trip to St Anton 13-20 Dezember looks in peril.

For all the media comment about low Austrian levels of vaccination (66%) it is worth remembering that the UK is only at 68% and we are acting as if there is no such thing as Covid. Go figure Puzzled
snow conditions
The other matter to consider is if the UK travel restrictions change because of this, for example they put Austria on the red list whilst this is going on so people would then be travelling against advice.
snow conditions
I’m not aware of the uK have any Red lists orange or green anymore
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, This is highly unlikely. Unless a new, more potent, variant emerges.
snow report
@Snowsartre, We've had a let it rip policy since July which means we've probably had far more infected people on top of vaccinations than EU countries, including Austria.
Controversial at the time, but might well give us more protection over the winter.
Would be interesting to know if other countries are also testing antibody prevalance levels like we are. I don't think they are which would seem an oversight if you want to know the overall protection of the population which is vaccination + infection. If they're only measuring infection then that is just one side of the coin. I think the UK are at something like 95% in over 16s...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 18-11-21 21:11; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, It seems odd that France still have us on the amber '24 hour test' requirement from months ago, but they are not imposing the same on many other EU countries who now have far higher infection rates than we do.
snow conditions
snowhound wrote:

Would be interesting to know if other countries are also testing antibody prevalance levels like we are. I don't think they are which would seem an oversight if you want to know the overall protection of the population which is vaccination + infection. I think the UK are at something like 95% in over 16s...

The Swiss are doing it, and if you test positive for antibodies you get a 6 month Covid certificate.
snow conditions
@telford_mike, Is this the regular (monthly) national random surveys that the UK are doing?
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
@telford_mike, Is this the regular (monthly) national random surveys that the UK are doing?

Partly, but not nearly on the scale that the ONS are doing it. The reason it’s in the news here is that it’s very popular amongst the unvaxxed - it’s a nice cheap way of getting a certificate for 6 months.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy